Houzz Logo Print
shmale_x7

thoughts on making the facade more appealing

Mrs Shmale
6 years ago

we are about to embark on a major reno to this property (really old photo, a lot has changed particularly the garden) which will see will a second storey addition. We've had a few plans come back and whilst we're happy with the interior layout, the exterior hasn't been too exciting. Its just been the same repeated upstairs, just with a different roofline and some cutouts so its not as square. I've been trawling through photos, but aren't really the creative type, so i'm wondering if anyone else has some suggestions. We've never really been in love with the exterior as it is so boxy, but really like the character in the home (high ceilings, ornate cornices and architraves)

The house is all one colour now (dulux - royal beige), trims are white, and gutters are ironstone. Obviously the metal awnings will go, one builder has suggested individual tiled awnings over the 2 front windows. We will also need to build some sort of carport out the front too. Given the age of the property (1962), most of the builders we have spoken to are 99% sure the lining on the porch and eaves will be asbestos, so they have all tried to avoid doing anything significant to keep costs down.

I think we will at a minimum re-tile the porch. I had considered boxing the columns, but considering the reno's are coming in around $350k finished I feel like we should be spending something on giving it some street appeal.

Comments (7)