houzzaupolls

POLL: What is your biggest challenge working from home?

HouzzAU Polls
last year
last modified: last year

Many people are working from home due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak. What is your biggest challenge in creating a productive environment when you have to unexpectedly work from home?

Brunswick East - Project 1 · More Info

Computer with a strong WiFi connection
Proper lighting
Landline or reliable phone reception
A comfortable work space
Private or quiet location away from high-traffic living areas
Other — tell us below!

• Kath
    last year

I'm with you oklouise. If you work from home regularly you already have everything in the poll sorted out. It's separating out work/personal time that I find the challenge.

• Related Discussions

POLL: How often do you redecorate in your home?

Q

I love to change soft furnishings and some decorative items in our family room and master bedroom for summer/winter. In summer I have a lot of white/sand/soft blues with a beachy theme: blue glass, seashells - light and bright. Winter brings out the reds/orange/fuchsias etc. Some of the wall artwork is also changed. I just change the cushion covers, and things like bed linen/bedspread etc. Also the wall decoration behind the bed to tone with the new theme. I don't go out and buy new stuff as I find this method very refreshing ... and it seems 'new' each season! I should add that I have neutral backgrounds and furnishings so that I can do this easily. Even greenery and different floral arrangements enhance the respective themes.
    ...See More

Poll: When you had a bad day, what would you do at home?

Q

Go for a 5km walk around Carine Open Space with my weighted backpack, hiking poles and Snowee, whilst mentally planning about my next hiking adventure. Problems disappear.
    ...See More

Work from home? We want to hear from you!

Q

Fantastic that this poll is finally asking about people who work from home.
    ...See More

POLL: Does decluttering your home really spark joy?

Q

I love Marie's respect for the things we have, and her practice of thanking the things that don't actually bring us joy for what they have taught us (eg I don't suit that colour or if I don't like the feel of something, I don't end up wearing it). Her system does not generate a lot of rubbish; there are always people that will love the things that don't suit us and will be grateful to be able to buy them at a good price at a charity shop. I have found her philosophy hugely helpful especially for sentimental items which I don't love but felt I should hang on to. She has changed my life!
    ...See More
  • beckynicole
    last year

I work from home a lot.i have my own desk but it's in the living room

• atcomas
    last year

My challenges are social interaction, exercise and I need a bigger desk. I now go for a 20 minute HIIT walk/run routine around the local park as soon as I get up as I had slowly started putting on weight. I try to get away from the desk at least once per hour. Sometimes I sit on a fitball.

My desk is too small and cluttered having 2 screens, a desk lamp and the spread of paperwork I'm working on. I should have got a bigger desk. But the room also has a couple of filing cabinets, printer, bookshelves, and doubles as a spare bedroom with a pullout sofa bed so space was limited. That said, it is good to have a separate room that can be shut off from the rest of the house. That way, you don't have to pack-up your paperwork and files etc each day. When entering and/or leaving the room, you get that mental break that defines your work zone from the rest of your life. I reckon it's always good practice to shut the door when you are finished for the day!

The positives though are many. It's a stress-free environment, I can wear what I like, I can have the window open for fresh air and I can look out into the street and see the sky. I'm also more focussed now as there are no constant interruptions. I don't miss the office banter that much but some days I can go without speaking to anyone! I have to make an effort to touch-base with colleagues by phone or email. I find I now have more interaction with some of the neighbours as they know I'm home all day now.

To sum up, I love working from home and don't find it a challenge at all.

• Paul Hefford
    last year

Lack of face-to-face interaction is my biggest challenge. Can't imagine working from home for weeks straight. One day is enough for me.

• olldroo
    last year

I worked from home when my Joeys were little and the biggest problem I had was convincing people I really was working. It seemed to be the general opinion that as I was home all day I had hours of time to help out with volunteer projects, child minding and such.

last year

olldroo..i think that's a problem for anyone at home, including stay at home parents and retired people as there's an assumptions that if you're at home you have nothing to do all day so you must be keen to have visitors who never leave or last minute requests for child minding and emergency everything..

• olldroo
    last year
    last modified: last year

True oklouise, that is why I moved house, to really live my life. I just wish people wouldn't get so rude when you say no though and worse, demand explanations. Definitely the me-me generation, don't organise their own life and time, just expect others to fill the gap. I never had this luxury, it was sink or swim for me.

I think I'm getting a very cranky old lady :), but I'm having a wonderful life now thoroughly enjoying making my new home "mine", joining like minded groups of old people who just want freedom to make their own decisions and have fun.

Do you still have your mum?

last year

well done to you and like minded people and my lovely mum died many years ago but she was able to do what you're doing and made a life for herself

• olldroo
    last year

Sorry, I thought you were caring for her, must have muddled you with someone else.

last year

it was kind of you to ask but that was my Mother in law and she has a different story

• Jaima khaled
    last year

I tried working from home a few times but end up getting no work done at all. Kids coming in and asking for something every 5 minutes lol. Would be fine if I didn't have kids.

• olldroo
    last year

oklouise - I do remember your MIL's story, just had the wrong person. You have certainly had your hands full too.

last year

thanks olldroo, but not more than many others

• debanger3
    last year

.

• olldroo
    last year
    last modified: last year

debanger - are you STILL having problems commenting here?? Have you contacted Houzz Service. i feel your frustration.

ironic how things change and so quickly too, looks like so many people will be forced to work from home now so maybe this quiz should morph into identifying issues and problems and looking at strategies to deal with them. Dealing with isolation will be a major issue, while many are happy to have the peace and quiet, others need the stimultion around them.

If this goes for months and months with no end in sight though, will our mental attitude change, will we really cope. We are in unchartered waters here so I don't think anyone can safely assume.

Helenscolour
    last year

Working from home I love. Having said this, there are a few 'rules' that make it better.

A healthy breakfast with coffee over the Herald crossword lol!

As my work space is the dining room and adjacent verandah (for painting!), I have made the bedroom a haven for getting away from it all! A very comfy armchair near the window for reading is a great extra to having a comfortable uncluttered bedroom.

Four thirty comes with a quick jog around the park followed by a Shiraz at 5!

So far house bound is ok!

• Jo Wst
    last year

So working from home yesterday (currently in a townhouse awaiting build commencement) & was treated to the view of a male neighbour masturbating in his shower - the bathroom glass frosting didnt hide a thing. My kids saw it too. So I dropped a ‘please install a blind’ note in his letterbox. YUK............!!

• olldroo
    last year

Does that come under social distancing I wonder??

• Jo Wst
    last year

Wasnt distant enough, thats for sure...

Door42 Interiors
    last year

I’m able to literally shut the door on distracting home chores for a good couple of hours while I do some serious work. I love the solitude of working from home most of the time but will admit there are days I sorely miss the buzzing atmosphere of an office environment with colleagues to interact with and general office noise.

• Emma
    last year

I love that I don’t have to commute. I don’t like the lack of people interaction or my noisy neighbours who have parties during the day....

• nzpen
    last year

Getting distracted by the dog and cat who want to sit on my lap. Also I get really cold at my desk - not conducive for productivity.

• am55555
    last year

I work from home on a regular basis , my biggest struggle is the home schooling part. My kids are almost 5 & 6 , both clever kids however it's very hard to focus when you're trying to homeschool two young kids with their online work that requires constant supervision & guidance.

• Austere Hamlet
    last year

I'm not allowed to work from home. That's my major issue.

• Lorraine Cobcroft
    last year

I've been working from home for many, many years, but it took me until a little over a year ago to finally refurnish my office to be efficient and comfortable, after years of putting up with major inconveniences. Then hubby decided to sell the house and move! The house we are buying had built-in's in the office that looked great but were totally unsuitable for my needs. Hubby was quite upset when I made it a condition of the purchase that the seller rip all the built-ins out and make good to create an empty space. I then set about drawing a scaled plan of the room and scaled models of all my office furniture and arranging it on the plan. Works okay. Nowhere near as great as the office I am leaving behind - primarily because it lacks the lovely sunny corner in which I placed a favourite comfortable reading chair. And one credenza has to live inside the built-in wardrobe with the bookcase that was above it fixed on the wall above my desk. But it will work reasonably well overall. I do, however, need to buy a good office chair. I dumped mine in the move after making do with a hard pillow to compensate for the broken back and seat height adjusters!

My major challenge, for many years, has been a weak local internet connection. Hopefully that will not be a problem in our new home. It was a bad spot, but NBN was connected recently so fingers crossed it's all good now.

• Cate Le Cornu
    last year

Suitable lighting and keeping warm have been my biggest challenges

• e_youngnz
    last year

Noisy children (my own!)

• Annette Kern
    last year

Knowing what office chair to buy

• Doris Wallas
    3 months ago

I have been doing work from home since last few months. The biggest challenge for me was to create a working environment and work comfortably. Earlier I used to work sitting on a normal chair but because of that I started getting physical challenges like back pain. So I decided to order ergonomic chair and office desk from Value Office furniture to work comfortably. Now I am working comfortably without getting any kind of back pain.