Double glazing . Shall we spend the extra?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
New build - windows and glazed doors
Comments (12)Thanks for all the detailed comments! A few clarifications from me.. We have done the BASIX and so, really, the window size, shape, location is determined. That wasn't clear of me, sorry, I guess I meant we can change the dimensions (within reason) to suit if a "standard size" is cheaper than the size that we have currently, which was rather arbitrary. But this way of thinking might be totally irrelevant! All the windows/doors penetrations are blocked out when they pour the concrete panels, so while we could infill or something if the penetration is too big, we are really trying to get it right now so there are no breaks in the concrete. I think we also did the BASIX with double glazing and Al frames originally (will look it up) but as we are off grid that kind of blew everything else out of the water. We have done all the shadow diagrams and spent a lot of time with placement and eaves. I think that part is OK. I am pretty set on double glazing and thermally broken frames (where aluminium). Thanks Paul for your comment of 10-15%. Our preliminary quote from out builder is certainly not that high (more like 5%) and I was having trouble seeing how we could get everything for that price. I am sure it is possible, and while we are very conscious not to over-capitalise, I don't think the most basic product is a good idea. oklouise, I share your concerns about bifolds! I don't really like them but my partner really wants them and I'm happy to give on that one. I have one quote from CedarWest which seems reasonable, but then it's the same again for an integrated screen!! Will consider other ways of doing that. So! More details: See attached the overall floor plan (floor plan attached twice, sorry!) and views. Great 270deg views (all but west as sort of dug into a hill to avoid the wind). There are 2 pods connected by an open walkway. Ignore the round window - point of contention and may change. The main pod has two large east-facing windows. A thought was gas-lift windows with the large bottom sill to serve as extra seating when open. In the E view, the verandah will not have that many posts so the view is not actually obstructed. Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I think I am just struggling with all the choice, and need to start pining down some constrains that I can work within! Thank you!!...See Moredouble glazing entire house
Comments (6)Builders often roll their eyes when people ask for anything above the bare minimum when it comes to energy & thermal efficiency. But the builders won't be living there, or paying the power bills. You will be, so you'll want the most comfortable & energy efficient home, at an affordable price. So you have to ask yourself, where can you get the best bang for your buck, when it comes to comfort & thermal efficiency. First would be getting the orientation right, which is free. Then probably having appropriate levels of insulation (which may be above the bare minimum). Followed by things like building a tight house, with no drafts, incorporating sarking etc. Windows, even double glazed windows, are very poor insulators, much poorer than a well insulated wall. So if you have large areas of glazing it will effect your energy rating substantially. Even more so if it's poorly orientated. So where double glazing fits in will be very dependent on your climate, & also on your building design. Along with other glazing options, like window frame types, low-e glazing, window sizes. Although I don't believe window dressings effect energy ratings, this is also something that is important to consider. Honeycomb blinds or thick curtains with pelmets will increase comfort & thermal efficiency....See MoreInvesting in Double Glazed windows. Options for other heating &cooling
Comments (4)I'm with your hubby I'm afraid. Double glazing is mostly a way to deal with cold radiating into a house, and heat leaking out of the house via conduction which is not the problem in Perth. Sure it will prevent heat from radiating into the house via the windows but mostly that's not how houses heat up in Australia. What causes a house to heat up is sunlight warming up the ambient air inside the house via a greenhouse effect which double glazing will not prevent, or hot air being born into the house on the wind. So double glazing will only prevent this if you intend to shut the house up all day. In which cause it's just the lack of air movement not the insulative properties of double glazing doing that. Single glazing would also do that. In Australia what matters most is cross ventilation in order to create a restful environment. Evaporative cooling works effectively when you have good cross ventilation as it's the evaporation of the water vapour causing the cooling effect. Additionally you do not want to shut up a house with evaporative cooling as you'll get condensation and mould inside the house. So if you are 100% on double glazing it will only be effective with refrigerated air conditioning as it's relying on preventing air exchange between the inside and outside of the house to work and preventing conduction of ambient air temps. Double glazing is not popular here for a reason, it's the wrong solution for our climate. Cross ventilation and proper solar management is the correct solution for our climate. So I'm with your hubby I think it's wasted money that would be better spent on controlling the direct sunlight to the home and proper ventilation....See MoreTo Double Glaze or Not, that is the Question !
Comments (9)It would not make sense to build such a generous house and skimp on making it efficient and future-proofed. If money is an issue then look at reducing the size, for example perhaps by changing some of the walk-ins to built-ins as walk-ins are not always a practical improvement, more a way of making storage 'look' bigger without necessarily providing bigger storage. Do you have a purpose for the "sitting" room? It looks very narrow, though it could work well as a study for example....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago

goshdarnit