Houzz Logo Print
raineyann

Skirting boards and architraves

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am trying to decide on appropriate skirtings and architraves. The style is modern with a touch of rustic in the interior decor.



Ceilings are generally 2.7m with 2340mm high doors, but the central room (kitchen/dining) has a raked ceiling from 2.7 to 3.2m. We hope to use square set (no cornice) but if a cornice is required it will likely be a narrow 2-step. I have an aversion to cornices generally.

My preference of skirting profile is stepped or shadowline but hubby insists he wants a curvy colonial profile. I don't see it fitting with the style of the home personally, so my first question is: Will it look too out of place?


Second question is size. My husband says 67mm for both skirtings and architraves (which is what we've had in the past) but my reading of style guides suggests skirtings should be higher with 2.7m ceilings. To be honest, I hate the look of moldings. I like clean lines. If it were practical, I'd have neither cornice nor skirtings, but clearly skirtings have a practical purpose. I just like them to be minimalistic.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments (14)