Houzz Logo Print
scoopenator

Houzzenators! I'm restricted by colour of tiles

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Hello Houzzenators,

I am having trouble with my family room and would be keen to receive some creative advice from you guys.

As you can see by the photos, the tiles are basically white but with a small green tile in between. I plan on painting the house in a neutral colour but I don't know what to do with this family room with tiles like these. To me they are restrictive. Am I right?

I was thinking about getting rid of the tiles altogether but this is not something I can contemplate short term due to the cost.

Therefore I would appreciate your input and am open to buying furniture and floor rugs to suit.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (55)

  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Studio. The room is an awkward design. It is a family room and I'm hoping to incorporate a table and chairs and couch and television area. At least 4 or 5 seats for the sitting area. I think I will try and draw it up as a plan to give a better as I'd love to find out how to position the furniture.
  • 12 years ago
    Basing this on the beige and black treatment suggested above, and I've used green to accent but you could get away with all sorts of colours -- turquoise and some reds come to mind. I think you need a plain shag rug; white would be gorgeous but colour is also an option.
    scoopenator thanked Rina
  • Related Discussions

    What colours go with a slate tiled floor?

    Q

    Comments (28)
    How funny. I just renovated (on a budget) my small kitchen and added exactly the slate look in tiles you have, though they are in fact porcelain. And I placed them throughout the house for continuity. The tiler asked if I was after a retro hippy look but it doesn't look like that at all. My cupboards were the same colour as yours and I utilised the bones of the kitchen and had the doors and Benchtops changed only. I also have plenty of light in the kitchen but chose white doors and as I was on a budget I chose granite look Benchtops, they are very serviceable and it looks great. The blue backsplash was the colour lift and here you could choose any colour to your liking. Basically the kitchen ended up with white cupboards and appliances other than cooktop, with the stainless cooktop and coloured splash back being the focal point. The paint colour are: whisper white walls, integra splashback, white ceiling and for increased contrast I used the same white above the splashback on the rear wall. I would consider painting out the brick but leaving the texture.
    ...See More

    lighting choice, tile design, grout colour?

    Q

    Comments (18)
    anaewlo - did all this just over 12 months ago so know how valuable an extra pair or eyes and a clearer head can help. The "little" things are the ones so easily missed and the ones that make you ask "what was I thinking" or "how did I miss that". You could take the tiles up higher immediately behind the hotplates, the range hood would then tie it all together and you could even have some nice artwork each side of it. The only concern I have - are the 2 tiles in the second row centred over your hotplates? Fine if they are as you will have that high part nice and even. If not, I'd a have good think about it. Otherwise, assuming you will paint the walls in a semi gloss paint, the lower tiles will take the brunt of the oil and what goes on the walls will be pretty easy to wash off, it is just a matter of wiping it down after each cooking session. There are times to match things up and there are times to blend. With your downlights, keep to white (assuming you will paint your ceilings white). this way they tend to disappear into the ceiling
    ...See More

    Maximum impact from basic tile

    Q

    Comments (2)
    Hi, Any of the mentioned ideas are a great way to create interest with finishes that may seem restricting. Another option could be the finish of the tile its self but keeping it the same colour. An easy example of this would be having white 300x600 matte wall tiles on 3 of the walls and having a penny round or hexagon mosaic on the remaining wall. Changing shapes and using grout lines can be a great way to add a new dimension, which also allows you to make your fixture and fittings to really shine and complete the space. Matthew Pavia - Adelaide Concept Tiling
    ...See More

    tling shop online - recommendations

    Q

    Comments (5)
    I’ve had a similar experience trying to find something a bit different from the usual neutral tile ranges. One place you could have a look at is Stone Design in Sydney. They have a pretty good selection of porcelain, natural stone and designer tiles, so there are more options if you’re after something with a bit more character. Their range includes different colours, sizes, finishes and styles, which might be worth checking out for things like terrazzo looks, terracotta-inspired tiles or smaller formats for custom patterns. You can have a look at their collection here:Stone Design Hope that helps — especially if you’re still looking for something beyond the standard builder-style ranges.
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago
    I say "if you can't beat it, join it." Your tiles look very retro. If you can't get rid of it, go retro modern with it. Red vinyl barstools for the kitchen. Red and black furniture in the family room. Bright white vases and fun (guitars maybe) wall hangings.
    scoopenator thanked notme11
  • scoopenator thanked notme11
  • 12 years ago
    You look like you have a pine timber edge around an olive or green laminex bench, with a cream tile and vinyl wrap cupboards. I'd be inclined to address the yellow paint before doing anything to the tiled floors ( apart from getting a couple of rugs in there for warmth and to define spaces.) The Aussie green and gold look is a bit dated. I'd go for a beige/ tan instead of the yellow. Can you paint the wooden bench trims?Also change the cupboard door and draw handles to something more modern.
    scoopenator thanked Caz Gee
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me your suggestions. Much appreciated. Yes, the benchtop is one of the first things I want to change....currently an olive colour with wood edging. You have a good eye Caz Gee! I will get rid of the gold cupboard handles also. ReMax - I hear what you say and agree. The photographer has really stretched out the photo though so the green in between tiles are not as big as what they look in the photo.

    The yellow walls are going. I think I might need to take the plunge and change the flooring. I think it's going to annoy me otherwise. Thanks again everyone.
  • 12 years ago
    We are in Perth and when we underwent renovations we hired a floor removal company that came in with specialised equipment that took up the tiles. It looked like a snow shovel attached to a jack hammer and was very loud and dusty, but they were only here one day and it was all over. I think you will be happy once it's gone. Floorboards would look nice, in perhaps, Tasmanian Oak.
    scoopenator thanked Catherine Giesige
  • 12 years ago
    Also, maybe try divide the room into 2 living spaces, dining and TV/lounge area. You have such a nice big room there!! :) and then get 2 rugs, one for the living area, and one for the dining area. And then when you have some extra cash, get a nice chandelier for the dining area to make it extra special....
    ReMax - Lisa, would you suggest the laminate flooring is laid out sideways, or longways to elongate? :)
    scoopenator thanked Michelle Ashby
  • 12 years ago
    Fully agree with ReMax - Lisa, those laminate floors are amazing, warm in summer, cool in winter, with the option of underfloor heating, different colours... we will be doing that!!
    scoopenator thanked Michelle Ashby
  • 12 years ago
    I have great news, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and tell them you want to do a color match, they will ask you what color and you tell them it's by benjamin moore-Shakers Beige and they will mix it for you with the brand of paint they sale.
    scoopenator thanked qhayes11
  • 12 years ago
    The more I read the more I am leaning towards taking out the flooring. Cathieg: I like the idea of Tassie Oak. I might look into that. Michelle, the way the estate agents have their photographer take photos over here seems to make the rooms look extra large. That's why everything seems stretched out. A bit deceiptful I think. Although it's not a small room, it's not overly large either. I would say maybe 6 or 7 metres in length, if that. But I do like the idea of the 2 rug scenario to define the areas. Thank you.

    Qhayes: No Home Depot or Lowes down this end of the sticks. But thank you all the same. I have Googled the colour Shaker Beige and quite like it. Maybe a couple of shades darker than what I was thinking.
  • 12 years ago
    I have smaller Villaroy Bosh porcelain tiles in my kitchen. It's a smaller kitchen & eating area. They are a dusty blue & I have loved the floor, sometimes putting nomadic rugs or even Royal Moroc. The rugs break up the sameness & give different looks. I am removing my tiles after 30 years & really a bit sad to see them go as they are unique. I'm replacing flooring in the entire house & want it all to flow. It's a small home. It was my fireplace that bugged me so much, I couldn't bear to look at it any longer so if you dislike the floor terribly, remove it. It's important to feel good about your home & how it makes you feel. I had so many debates in my mind....like I'm fortunate to have a home, some people in the world sweep their dirt floors, some are homeless. I'm sure you have the idea, but if you have the money to change your space, go for it.
    scoopenator thanked Sami Calado
  • 12 years ago
    Two words: big rug. Usually the cheapest thing is wall-to-wall, and if you don't want to install it, stores will often bind the edges of a big piece, allowing you to just put it on top.

    If it's vinyl, peel-and-stick vinyl tiles are an easy DIY project and can be put right on top of the existing floor. (This is not a high-end finish, but a workable solution if you expect in 5-10 years you will do something else.) You do want to pay attention to the height of the tiles and your baseboards.

    Personally, I don't think the floor is bad, it just doesn't go with the walls.
    scoopenator thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You could be dramatic and play it up. Go fun. Furnishings in the photo can move on to different flooring in the future, along with your neutral wall paint. Add some rugs too. When furniture is there, it will cover some of the flooring.
    River Oaks Residence · More Info

    My Houzz: Feminine Chic Charms in a Chicago Rental · More Info
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Sami, thank you for your comments. 30 years of having the same tiles in your home....you must really love them. But how exciting getting new floor coverings.

    I can't say that I dislike the floor 'terribly', it's more about how I can deck out the room and what type of furnite to use, if I keep the tiles. The small tiles in between are a heritage green.
  • 12 years ago
    How great is this site!! Wow. The River Oaks Residence - what an amazing room. Thank you for sharing LB and I think you have a point in terms of buying furniture that suits this floor and soemthing that will suit another flooring in the future. I have attached a photo of the types of tiles that are in the room. I hope it comes out big enough to see.

    Sigrid, the carpet or rug will probably break it up well. I'm not much chop when it comes to decorating but I imagine a neutral colour will be the way to go.

    Thank you.
  • 12 years ago
    Use red as color accents
    scoopenator thanked lesleyswanson
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Rugs
    Serpentine Dark Green Wool Rug · More Info

    Loloi Carrera Shag CG-01 3'6" x 5'6" Green Rug · More Info
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would use off white (floor color) for furniture and add dark and lighter greens (floor color) for accents and accessories in the room. Art can have a small dose of the green. Maybe start with colorful art and choose accent colors from it. Maybe some art with coral and blues and yellows and touch of green. You could get two interesting chairs that will work in the future and with the room as it is now.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Not exactly this pattern or style but something like the fabric that you love.
    Tobi Fairley Holiday · More Info
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    LB, the colour of the floor is closer to white than off white. Would off white furniture work? Or, I have a dark green loung suite. This is the lounge. Maybe too much green?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    This is 'not your color' green, but just had to post it. Maybe a focal wall or two in green (floor color)
    Love the way this looks with whitish furniture.
    Road to Emerald 2013 · More Info
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Are those your sofas? They don't look green on my monitor.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It looks like you have a good amount of space for a table left/opposite the kitchen area, as well as barstools at the angled portion of the counter. It is hard to tell what is left - crafty photog- but if you are able to upload a rough floorplan tomorrow, a furniture layout shouldn't be far behind. ( can TV be wall hung under the corner AC, or is it bigger?)
    I am glad to see you love the River Oaks. If you are willing to play with coloured furnishings, I think your room would take to it well.
    scoopenator thanked studio10001
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would use white or close to it. Sofas on an overall dark green rug can look close enough in color. Colors can be very forgiving, depending where the color is used in a room.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Another inspiration
    Arnold · More Info

    Arnold · More Info
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You can switch out the combination of colors. Use a white rug and green furniture. Depends price points for them and how long until a new floor. Also if you want the furniture to be a color priority for the future.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You could buy a lesser quality furniture to save some money for when it comes time to change the floor. Then buy better furniture for the new floor.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    If the floors weren't a consideration, what colours would you like to see in this room?
    scoopenator thanked studio10001
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Maybe buy inexpensive large sisal rugs and spray paint them with green border and white interior.... or solid green with a little bit of large white stenciling. There are sites that can show you how to do it. I think I'd do the solid green with a bit of white stenciling.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just read that the floor is not vinyl tiles.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can work with lighter shades of green in the same emerald? color palette of the floor. Go to the paint store and match the green of the floor and that will show you the other lighter colors that can be used.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    After seeing the cosy wood of the living room, could this room not create a beautiful contrast if it is handled like the spacious summer garden room it is? With those big windows and the door to the garden, I think it could be lovely. The picture below is the style I mean -- it's a summer mood board by a South African company called Weylandts. I think it's gorgeous.
    scoopenator thanked Rina
  • 12 years ago
    LB - I can see that the photo with the lounge appears to be a colour other than green. It is, in fact, a heritage green colour. And I really love the Arnold 1 & 2, and the white couch would be lovely. But as this is my family room and would mostly use these couches, I imagine the white would soon turn a shade of grey. Rats. Yes, tiles are ceramic.

    Studio, the wall for the tv would be next to the door, or on the opposite end of the room (which can't be seen). It's a really odd shaped room really. And a couple of stools next to the bench would be a good idea. Although the bench top doesn't jut out so a bit of knee knocking may be in order.

    Rina - I really like the photo of living area you posted. If I could wave a wand a create it, well perfect. The photo with the couch is my current house which is being sold at the moment. The original photos are of the house I'm moving into. I wanted to show the couch colours. I think they're too big, and I'm sick of the green anyway. Ok, so there is the answer. I need to steer away from the green. Oh, and the current airconditioner will be gone but replaced with a split system which will take its place.

    Ok, so I thought I'd add the link to the house. I bought it last year and it's got tenants in at the moment until I move in in a few months:
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-berwick-111449395

    Thank you everyone for your comments!
  • 12 years ago
    Why would anyone put green diamond tiles in? Sorry. But the most hated color in design is green. Don't know why. If not getting new tile. Travertine is not expensive. I would change. I think what ever you do, you won't be happy. Save your self some stress, change it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you are changing sofas ..... How about black sofas for the family? You can add all shades of emerald/forest green, yellow green, lime green and other warm colors to a black sofa. You can use black as accents, photo frames and accessories in the room along with some other colors of preference.
    If you are keeping your heritage green sofas, they can work too. Add the tile green in some pillows or prints with the tile green and mix of accent colors. That can work. Add some heritage green in a coffee table decorative item, Could just be a book.
    scoopenator thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry about the mistake with the sofa pic. What a beautifully light and airy house, I wish you much joy of it. You could bring in some of that summer room feeling with sheers and glass -- don't you like those pendants? -- and live greenery which will be very happy to live with the green tiles.
    scoopenator thanked Rina
  • 12 years ago
    Really? I would never have known that green is the most hated colour with designers.

    Ok, it looks like I need to do some serious thinking in terms of what I should do.

    Thank you for everyone's efforts in trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. When I finally make the decision as to whether I rip out the floor or try and work with it. I will come back and post an update.
  • 12 years ago
    How about some huge area rugs. just to break it up a little. that would be easier than painting or replacing the floor ... and would be warmer for the winter you can get huge rugs for like 100 bucks .....
    scoopenator thanked Joe DeVitto
  • 12 years ago
    Elle Decor had an amazing Moroccan home with tile floors on it's cover maybe 5 or 6 months ago on the cover. It was so fun! You have to see it before you go any further. Good luck
    scoopenator thanked carlarea
  • 12 years ago
    Couldn't find it, but enjoyed looking! There was this one, though ( distinctly un-moroccan as it may be! )
    scoopenator thanked studio10001
  • 12 years ago
    HI Scoopenator, I thought I recognised the style of house - turns out that it is quite near where I live, and it's also very similar in style to the rental property that we own. One thing to consider - since you have tenants, any repairs that you need to make can be included as a tax deduction in the next tax return you make. You can also claim depreciation on the fixtures and fittings. I'd discuss with your tax accountant how you can use this to your benefit in changing your flooring. Perhaps you can make a major change like installing new flooring, now whilst it is generating income, and then claim depreciation on the cost of this. (You can't claim the whole cost of a "new" expense.) Of course that depends on how long you plan to have it as an income generating asset - can't do it and then kick the tenants out!
    scoopenator thanked Caz Gee
  • 12 years ago
    With rugs anchoring furniture groupings you might be surprised how little of the floor shows. Would you like it better if it was black? Then just tell people "green is the new black!"
    scoopenator thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks guys. I had a look at what I could find in the online Elle Decor site under Moroccan. Very colourful. But as I prefer more of a natural look it probably doesn't suit me very well. Caz Gee, I will definitely take your advice and speak with my accountant and see what I can get away with. These tenants haven't been in for very long, and by the time I move back it will probably only have been a year. Who know? Maybe there will be some way of offsetting the taxes. Our tax laws lean towards benefiting government, not the people :). Thank you for your insight. It wouldn't have crossed my mind.

    The outside of the house also has quite a bit of green in the paint work which I would like to eventually change also. Perhaps I'll use Decoenthuse's 'green is the new black' theory, just like we do as we get older....40 is the new 30 or 50 is the new 40!
  • 12 years ago
    Can I suggest looking into having a quantity surveyor assess your property (and you can claim the cost of having this done). They will provide a depreciation schedule for you which will tell you how much each item will depreciate in value over the maximum number of years you can claim. If an item is at the end of its depreciable life, they will tell you what you are able to replace. Even if you only have tenants for a short while, you are able to claim depreciation for a pro-rata period that your asset is income producing. What all this means for you in terms of design - there may be ways to improve the look of your property in line with what you will want it to look like when you eventually move in, which could gain you a tax benefit. Of course, you have to have the $$ to spend on it in the first place.

    Oh - and in terms of furniture - do you know about Casey Auctions in Hallam? they are close by and you may pick up some really good bargains. I know we did!
    scoopenator thanked Caz Gee
  • 12 years ago
    If you keep the tiles try a French Empire or English Regency theme with furniture. For kids have a full size billiard table in a restrained style, not green, maybe beige, some convert to dining tables. Change the security door to clear Crimsafe to let the garden in.
    scoopenator thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    agree with Lisa - many posts up. Why compromise your furniture choices to fit in with a floor you loathe. Maybe you could try renovators auctions for a really big piece of offcut carpet to minimise it until you can afford what you really like

  • 10 years ago

    OLD THREAD.