Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9904601

Price Differences

last year

I can sort of understand some suppliers have different cost structures , even different marketing strategies . I can understand some builders cutting corners with either labour , product quantity or product quality . This post ISN'T about that .

I found a jug and toaster pair I liked --

Smeg isn't a cheap brand , but within reason I am prepared to pay what they are asking . So I looked on-line , and here in New Zealand it appears there were 2 retailers that 'stocked' these . I called 3 smaller retailers too , but none could supply , and it turned out the 2 larger retailers didn't actually have this particular model here in New Zealand , but both can get them , as long as I paid a $200 deposit at one shop , or in full at the other .

Here's where it gets interesting though . One ( ironically , the one that wanted the $200 deposit ) wanted $660 ; the other wanted $1095 in full . I can fully understand a $100 , maybe even a $200 difference , but over $400 is a bit much surely ?

Not the end of the world , and maybe they source these from different suppliers ( maybe one has direct access to Smeg , the other gets them from an Aus or German or US or wherever retailer ? ) but definitely something I can't understand . I'm sure neither retailer would be too upset at losing my sale , but it certainly shows it pays to double check , and it makes me reluctant to buy anything off the more expensive retailer , and no doubt I'm not the only person that checks prices , so I wonder how many other items they do this to ?

Comments (33)