Houzz Logo Print
houzzau

Beach or pool?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
WeAustralia has the largest number of pools per capita in the entire world. So if you had to choose between living close to the beach and having a pool, which would you choose?
Beach House 2 · More Info

Hillside Home - Buderim · More Info

Comments (35)

  • 11 years ago
    Beach -- get the sounds of the surf and you don't have to clean it.
  • 11 years ago
    Do you mind if I ask how you added the photo to your question? Thanks!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    BEACH. Hands down.
  • 11 years ago
    Beach by a mile. Endless potential for exploring, soothing & healthy with all that FREE clean fresh air.
  • 11 years ago
    Pool. Definitely. Convenient
  • 11 years ago
    Live near the beach, hate sand getting in everything - give me a pool anytime.
  • 11 years ago
    As I live in the bush, the beach is unbeatable.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I live in the bush but in the country township. As a kid I lived near the beach and loved the water but hated the public "Baths" ( big public pool). We have a Council pool here but I have never been....its the chlorine I think and all those bodies in a small environment (even though its a big aquatic centre)...who knows if anyone pees in that pool and others get the water in their eyes and mouths...mmmm no, no public pools...and I've never wanted one here, but I did make a pool out of a 500litre plastic molasses feeder and plumbed it for emptying....for my two 70kg + Neapolitan Mastiffs and I have taken a swim in the local weir....considering...no, I think if I really hanklered for a water experience it would be the beach. If I had a home near the beach I would not want it to be too near the beach. Here in Queensland on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts...people's million dollar homes near the beachfront are sinking into the sea. Beachfront living is not for me these days. Give me the hills and maybe a portable back yard spa and a pond with a fountain.
    I live on a hill and its 400metres down the street to the Creek that runs through town through a nice park.There's a weir not far from my home where it is safe and pleasant to swim. We have a big dam that services the township..with places to swim, fish and boat....I think I have the best of both and its safe and clean and no nasties of any kind....including those beach blokes who touch up the girls in the surf...and no sharks. I'm happy with my water fix just as it is.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like to have both because beach have lovely view plus sand feel warm and soft. Pool can be very small or big but waste of time to clean and make it clean water lot of thing to do with the pool to cleans
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Both. At some times of the year in the tropics the beach isn't safe on account of stingers and even the occasional croc. But it sure is a treat to go to the beach and be one with nature. I prefer to swim in safely netted areas though.
  • 11 years ago
    @ dooenmabest...I lived in Cairns, tropical North Queensland for 4 years and was never able to go swimming except in Lake Placid...(freshwater) and wading ay The Boulders. Im my opinion its not worth all the trouble to get there now that the beach is a dangerous place both for animal and human predators.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, ladyrob1, there are some magnificent freshwater places to swim around Cairns. I haven't been to The Boulders, but love the Ross & Locke swimming hole.
  • 11 years ago
    @ dooenmabest...don't know the Ross and Locke...maybe a bit after my time there.
  • 11 years ago
    Anything to swim in, in the extremely hot Australia summers that we have - beach, pool, lake, river, creek, pond, dam, paddling pool ...
  • 11 years ago
    ANYWHERE TO GET WET....
  • 11 years ago
    Nothing feels like walking on the beach and there's no maintenance. Definitely count me in for the beach!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I don't live a real long way from the beach, about 40km but it's far enough that it makes for a full day if I decide to go and the amount of people and traffic that you have to traverse around, is enough to make me wonder if it's worth it!!!
    I only go a few times a year and almost always go with the dogs for a swim, when my niece comes to visit from the city with her dogs.
    I am however, building a new home with an indoor pool and even though there are, as cearl11 suggested, lots of cleaning to do, although not really for an indoor pool but it's my pool and I will be able to swin anytime and anyday and NO SAND in the bathers, so I think that's pretty cool!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Living near the beach is lovely for a place to walk, fresh air, and listening to the waves at night, but... Everything gets damaged by the salt: brickwork, cars, gardens... Also the convenience of a pool means no excuses - you can get in for a two minute cool off, or 30minutes of laps.
  • 11 years ago
    @ myperfect advice.....WET? That's why I have an 8inch diameter rain shower.....and am considering an outdoor wet area in a little unused courtyard. Not as good as my very own indoor pool...how cool is that! But...somewhere to get wet at least...and there's the weir down the street by 400m. set in lovely parklands..I can't complain...or I should not!
  • 11 years ago
    @ barbara...I envy you your indoor pool! I always wanted Roman Bath or a big enormous bath set in the floor a- la- Cleoptra...dream on. Are you going to let your Ruby have a swim in your pool?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    @ladyrob1,
    Hi Robin,
    Ruby was fetching a stick in the pool last year when it was half full of water whilst the instalation process was in place but when the pool is complete, it would be over hubby's dead body so to speak, for her to be allowed to swim in it but I will sneak her in occasionally ha-ha
    I do actually have a very large bath set to go into the batrroom but not quite the Cleopatra, sunken floor type, however, it is 1200mm wide so quite large and it does also have jets, so I so look forward to having a bath/spa with the lights dimmed, cruiser in hand and perhaps some lovely brie and a biscuit whilst watching Better Homes and Gardens!!!
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • 11 years ago
    Not fair! Some people get all the breaks! Gald you will let Ruby have a sneaky swim! I think you'd be very mean if you didn't...and that's not a joke. Maybe in the next life I'll have a Cleopatra bath...and I'd want a bigger one than what you're having, just to make up for the deprivation!
  • 11 years ago
    Definitely the beach
  • 11 years ago
    Beach please, love the sound of the ocean and nothing better than a cold beer after a day on the beach
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Nothing like the beach! This place is great, unfortunately shore dumpers one end and flat as a lake at the other - but still great fun. Lots of bush walks and a lovely waterfall to walk to which has a number of water holes and a swing rope which the kids love.
  • 11 years ago
    Sadly my beach has crocs on it and stingers in the water (along with crocs). I'm saying pool...but only for safety reasons!
  • 11 years ago
    Beach definitely, but have the same croc / stinger problem as everyone else in Cairns. Have a pool but it is like a hot bath at the moment, so it's Crystal Cascades for us!
  • 11 years ago
    Both, as well...they have their advantages...changes in the scenery / exploring / clean / and long walks at the beach, while a pool has convenience / privacy and safety
  • 11 years ago
    beach views but pool to swim in....... i wish
  • 11 years ago
    Beach, why clean a pool.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    House on the beach, with a pool. Sounds perfect.

  • 11 years ago

    Both :)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Beach. You can always add a pool later, but you can't do add a beach!

  • 11 years ago

    Depends on the beach & depends on the pool.