Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

Crape/Crepe Myrtle : Deepest red flower?

effdeevee
15 years ago

Dear Forum Members:

I need your help.

Looking for a Crape Myrtle with a very deep-red flower, WITHOUT any hint of the hideous magenta/fuchsia/pink tones. I want a variety that can produce a large, upright tree, grows fast, is disease/mildew resistant, and not predisposed to produce off-color, or fading flowers if the weather gets dark. A tree with good genetics. It will be grown in full-sun, all year, and, will get plently of air circulation. Must also be hardy. (This area of the Bronx is loaded with "Pink-Velour" trees, and they seem to do very well in this zone).

I'm thinking of: "Dynamite" ... "Red Rocket" ..."Carolina Red" ...."Country Red". Not "Dallas Red", or, "Arapaho" ... too magenta-ish for my taste. All listings for the above varieties say these are "true reds",... "blood-red flowers" ..."vibrant, true, bright-red" ... "cherry-red" ... blah, blah, blah, ... yadda, yadda, yadda. I've been buying plants long enough to know color descriptions aint worth a flyin' _ _ _ _ !!!!!!

Of course culture and growing areas have a lot to do with how a flower looks, but you guys have experience with these plants, so what's the "real deal" with the red crape myrtles?

Again, please, I need a honest, fully saturated, deep, dark, smoldering, vibrant, blood-red colored flower.

Please advise. I want to place any order within the next few days.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Cordially yours, Frank DV

Comments (78)

Sponsored