Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Which renovation show really rules?

Luke Buckle
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A lot of renovation shows have come and gone, from the Changing Rooms, The Block, Renovation Rumble, The Renovators, Renovation Rescue and House Rules and that's just locally.

Globally, you may have also enjoyed Extreme Makeover, 60-Minute Makeover, Massive Moves and more.

Which one moved you most?

"Before" shots · More Info

Comments (41)

• bigreader
    8 years ago
    None of them moved me but I enjoy them all.
  • bradlesjnr
    8 years ago
    The craftsmanship on some are appalling, and worksafe should shut a lot down
  • Related Discussions

Small bathroom renovation

Q

Comments (16)
    Yep, we're really happy with the showering width, to be honest the 'compromise' shower curtain actually helps in this way, as we've mounted the top just outside the bath lip, with the bottom angled into the bath ( so the water drains into the bath and not the floor). Our bath is a good 80cm wide,but there were wider ones around (90cm if I remember correctly). I'm a size 16 and my partner is a 6ft 2 and both of us have plenty of room to shower independently. Sadly showering together is pretty much impossible, which is sad :( Yes it was pretty horrifically similar to bridesmaids... nuf said :( Plumbing wise your vanity taps could become your bath taps, your shower taps could stay as shower taps (if you wanted to) and your shower head could either be repositioned to the to the non window wall, the roof or not move them at all and look at handheld/ multi position/ exposed pipe work shower heads. Your current bath taps would need to be moved up ~25cm higher up to become your new vanity taps - but that's not much. If you have some crawl space under your house, moving the shower waste 50cm or so (which might not even be needed depending on your new bath) isn't much of a job - heck we even did it ourselves. Given you've got much more space in your laundry, I'd put a second toilet in there - and to enjoy a nice big vanity along your longer wall.
    ...See More

Is there a colour 'rule' when choosing your homes colour palette?

Q

Comments (5)
    I did the same colour pallet as your describing on a new build. Black kitchen window frames, concrete floors and timber accents. Not quite finished yet but I'm happy. Must tell you that Laminex have just brought out a matt black that doesn't show fingerprints for your black kitchen cabinets. Basically I used concrete, accent colour was black, all walls and ceilings in Whisper white and then added timber. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Can houzzers help me renovate our 1980s kitchen?

Q

Comments (28)
    Could you swap the fridge with the wall oven, going by your photo both fridge and Wall Oven would fit side by side. I would definately have the fridge on the cook top wall and not on the other side of the kitchen. I see by the photo that the timber beam could be in the way, I would speak to your plumber who should have a simple solution on ducting the range hood. A simple one built into a special cabinet above the cooktop can recirculate or be ducted outside by either exposed stainless tube for your industrial/country look or have the ducting boxed in, the ducting can be flexable so no problem avoiding beams.
    ...See More

renovate a basement area.

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello, Have a shower and toilet about 15 feet away and wasn’t thinking about adding a bathroom. The area is zoned by the Council as a bedroom area. I didn’t even think about the message going to the Australian site. This is the first time I have posted, although I have saved some photos of various additions. Should I also post this to the USA site. John
    ...See More
  • tangerine9
    8 years ago
    I've stumbled across a couple of episodes of a UK one, The House that 100K Built. Owners with really tight budgets are given time with an architect, who invariably comes up with a clever design to suit all requirements and budget. I enjoy seeing the thought that goes into the designs, and also the use of interesting or recycled materials.

I can't stand most of the shows though. I really don't care which team is winning or who sabotaged another competitor's efforts.
  • kym2650
    8 years ago
    You are right with the quality and the WHS. I would shut them down. But they do have some interesting design ideas. One of them must have a seriously good deal with Velux.
  • Julie Huynh
    8 years ago
    The Block...only because of Aiden! But seriously concur with everyone's comments about the build quality.
  • jdmf
    8 years ago

I just love them all because I love houses. perhaps the best one is "Britain's empty houses". Houses are so important there that empty houses are noted and owners are required to repair and occupy these houses or surrender them. So old neglected houses are brought back to life.

I love all the Aussie shows but I don't agree that they are doing shonky work. I believe that there are supervisors on them keeping them on track.

• haephestus
    8 years ago

Currently, none of the Australian shows. I used to enjoy the earlier seasons of The Block and the first season of House Rules when it seemed like the participants actually did work other than shopping and painting and the shows didn't consist of endless "drama" created by the production team.

I still like Grand Designs, although it's the same set up every single episode - the host has his doubts about the design, but ends the episode being pleasantly surprised. And I like the sound of the show that tangerine9 mentioned, so I'll be setting my Tivo to record that (if it's on FTA).

• mldesign0401
    8 years ago

I love them all, but agree with haephestus the blocks new format is killing it.

I think house rules is more relatable and has a happier ending for everyone! The block contributes great design, mostly, but the contestants are a certain type and only a few are memorable.

The house 100k built was on Fridays at 9:00 on digital Chanel 72, now replaced with more great Australian houses! Which is one I skip.

House doctor is Saturday at 8:30 a uk based program with a very hand on architect who redefines people's spaces, and transforms their living as a result. One of the better uk ones.

I like fixer upper, but it's not shown here, it's style is beautiful.

• PRO
    Rising Sun Landscaping
    8 years ago
    Anyone who works in the industries knows that these shows set unrealistic expectations for timelines and budgets. They are bad for the industry.
    I have worked on the "The Block" and you don't get to see the behind the scenes and all the extra costs of running a project that aren't coincided when costs are discussed not to mention there are no labour cost and people believe that work can be carried out by a professional for these cost they have seen on these shows.
  • Colleen McCarthy
    8 years ago

I love home shows renovations and garden shows and have watch most of the ones on the TV or follow up on the computer if I miss a episode so I am a real addict. The Block bothers me a bit now it seems to be about who can spend the most the contestant pay exorbitant prices I would rather show that show me how and why they chose the design and where things were sourced, more about innovation, compromise yet quality rather than expensive shopping sprees I suppose. Because of this I agree with other who nominate Grand designs, The House that 100K built, and there is another one where they create a 3D mock-up of the plans for the home owner to walk through Make my Home Bigger- I think.

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 years ago

The Block over all of them!!!!

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Grand Designs Australia & UK versions, recorded so I can watch ad free & fast forward through the boring bits. I think I have watched all of them a couple of times plus that cute English architect doing up caravans & buses is entertaining. (Did I mention cute?)

From USA the twin brothers do a pretty good job with some pretty ugly houses.

Over the drama on The Block & Reno Rumble but will probs watch them next round, record/fast forward/repeat.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

OMG chookchook2 you are everywhere! :) I mean all over it! :))

• kym2650
    8 years ago
    Its a pity that there is not a episode once a week where they present a 'This is how you do - tiling, putting up blinds, polishing a floor, building bookcase, painting etc'. I am sure that this would be hugely informational and I suspect more than a bit entertaining.
    Seems to me that they are all about the people the drama and not so much about the building.
  • User
    8 years ago

Oh, dear, Louise, I hope that didn't show our personal eBay history, it's a real mish mash. Deleted just in case. If anyone was interested in the suite I will give them details. (I'm not the seller, just thought it looked like many Houzz pics.). I'm planning a party for 100 people in 2 1/2 years, hence eBay. Yes I plan a bit ahead!

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Haha @ chookchook2 (can we shorten that to chookie?) Nah I'm scared of eBay, but changed my avatar just in case! If this keeps up I'm coming to your party just to sit on the eBay couch & watch that dreamy English architect whats'is name?

• User
    8 years ago

If you don't mind a hundred 16 year olds. Which architect?

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Kevin McCloud?
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    The block for me, then grand designs. I also like selling houses Australia where they pimp unsellable houses for sale
  • harryinahurry
    8 years ago

I haven't watched the Aussie shows but I love the British ones - The Home Show & Renovation one with George the Architect; he's lovely & the episode where the wife died from cancer is so moving when he hugs & cries with the husband. I also love Britain's empty houses and Grand Designs when they rescue an old building. They show real people taking time and spending their own money to make their own home better.

• Marj Kibby
    8 years ago

Too little renovation and too much emotional drama on the current crop of Aussie ones. Grand Designs, Nick Knowles Original Features, Property Brothers, Home Show with George Clarke

• LouieT
    8 years ago

That's him ...George Clarke I like his style and his accent (on architecture of course!) He did up a caravan for his family and with help from his assistant clever Will, created an amazing refurb full of great ideas. He even got to lease a plot of land to park it on overlooking a pristine piec of countryside, very clever! http://www.channel4.com/programmes/george-clarkes-amazing-spaces/episode-guide/series-1/

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    There is a lot of emotional drama, isn't there. It can be tiring just watching some of them. I like that British one - Moving To The Country? - where they show a couple three houses in the country and they act interested before deciding they'll just stay put after all.
  • Marj Kibby
    8 years ago

How does 60 Min Makeover come up with such ghastly wallpaper / fabric combinations time after time? By the law of averages you'd think they'd get it right once in a while.

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Yes some of the decorating choices on those English Reno shows are really questionable, in fact turned me off them completely and I now much prefer the US & Canadian shows on Fox as far as design goes. Anything by Sarah Richardson, Sarah's house, is interesting (except Sarah 101 which had a few missteps I thought).
    What are people thinking in those English houses (Escape to the Country etc) where they use bright red and bright blue carpet. Is it supposed to warm the place up? same with the wallpaper choices, awful.
  • Colleen McCarthy
    8 years ago

I also love the two Scottish decorators Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan who used to do a show 'how not to decorate' . I love their accent and the way they bicker. Its funny

• User
    8 years ago

They had another series too, where they "broke into" houses and criticised them before redecorating them . They were 2years ahead with their colours. Perhaps they were copied? Whatever, it all looked quite shocking, especially the whole house done in bright yellow, and the two pink houses for people who didn't like pink! Now we are used to bright colours. I remember the fights they had with the poor Asian lady who had cultural problems with mirrors, and they put mirrors...

Great entertainment.

• PRO
    johnhynesandassociates
    8 years ago

I have just watched fixer upper for the first time but didn't get to see much of the renovating,mostly conversations and before and after. The Aussie shows have done it for me with drama beat ups and expensive shopping competitions, $300 for a cushion, really? Reno rumble used to be good but it sucks now. What really gets me is the fact that they can add two rooms and change the ceilings and put in skylights and pave the yard for $25000. I put a toilet and shower and a kitchen in the garage and lined the walls and it cost $40,000. I want the names and phone numbers of their tradies please! Leads to a lot of heartbreak when people think they can buy an old house and do it up for next to nothing in 2 weeks. It's irresponsible and could ruin lives. I loved Helen's design competition and shows where people show ingenuity and flair, loved American pickers when it started with 2 girls buying junk and turning it into sought after decorating items.

• J
    8 years ago
    60 Minute Makeover kills me every time. The afters are never much better than before. And I worry about the workmanship. I'd cry if I was a 60 Minute Makeover victim. Actually, sometime BH&G TV show was getting close, when I last watched it. Is it even on TV anymore?
    Love British TV where they invest a lot of time into the show. I mean, over years when they come back and revisit. Careful considered TV like Grand Designs.
  • fianou
    8 years ago

I like grand designs and I've enjoyed the house that 100K built. I used to like the format of House rules when it was cooperative and everyone benefited... but then they changed it to be more like the block, and its not so good. I don't like the fabricated drama. I agree @jenpotts I would be totally devastated if someone made over my house for television, they get rid of all your stuff and give you random showroom furniture and oversized appliances in a badly painted/renovated house. Yikes!

• Sue Wester
    8 years ago

I like the Property Brothers, Buying and Selling, My Dream Home, Fixer Upper - shows where there is no competition - hence no manufactured drama. Sometimes, I watch the English shows for a giggle at how bad the interior decor is - some of those are shockers!

• Marj Kibby
    8 years ago

The Block has announced its 11th season, renovating the octagonal Hotel Saville in Melbourne's South Yarra. With the decline in ratings last season they are going for more drama, with no tradesmen or designers as participants - strictly amateur DIY. So more crying jags, more code violations, more relationship breakdowns, more shouting, more walkouts - and less actual renovation.

• wendan26
    8 years ago

I love watching all the reno shows, doesn't matter which one, they all have their drama's & drama queen's, that's TV, loved the girls on the last Block, they were the ONLY ones with a bit of class in their design and decor, could not understand why they didn't get a much better result from buyers, especially over the nasty/slobby redhead and her slob of a partner, have to say I hate the Scandi & Industrial design they all have to stick to, to appease those boring judges, there is nothing outstanding in the rooms, they are boring, they obviously ALL have a connection with 'Pin Interest' and 'Houzz' so you know where all the designs come from. Love what "Matt & Kim" are doing here in WA with their 'Renovation Rescue', watch all the overseas reno's, Escape to the Country, Grand designs etc. the interesting knowledge & talent of UK people is excellent when restoring older homes, it would be good to have a section of the Australian shows which show how to do a particular piece of renovation.

• Fiona
    8 years ago
    I love Grand Designs, especially the earlier series where you could tell if Kevin liked some owner/builder as he would help out. I too have a soft spot for George the Architect!
    The ridiculous 'zone wars' on House Rules drive me nuts, as if the designers and building supervisor haven't come up with the floor plan with the owners beforehand, doesn't stop me watching or the stupid timeframes!
  • mkzs
    8 years ago
    What about UK series Restoration Home. As well as renovating they also dig into the history of these old beautiful buildings, Love it!!
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    Couldn't stand those 2 women on The Block, getting their t.ts out at every opportunity. One of them appeared to do sod all (I say appeared because it's obviously edited to portray people in a certain way). She also seemed to be heavily medicated on the auction episode. The programme certainly reached a new low this time around.
  • harryinahurry
    8 years ago

yay we've finally had an Australian Restoration program melding history with restoration - beautiful old homes and dedicated passionate people, even Sybilla's cute baby. Love it!

• Marj Kibby
    8 years ago

There was a program with the guy from The Living Room where in the challenges contestants learned how to tile, paint, etc and then saw who did it best. Guess not enough drama for most viewers, but I enjoyed it, particularly one with tessellated tiles.

• wuff
    8 years ago
    How2girl, I did not watch any of the new block, I think I reached saturation when this new one started. I would like them to go back to serious renovators.
  • laurelbowen
    8 years ago
    This old house is the best, most informative show of them all. No drama, they go to the manufacturing places to give insider views of the products, show is done in real time so one house redo may be a season long. They also have magazine and website full of USA product and information on how to actually do the work.
  • PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

Wish Robeson Design had a TV program.