HELP! 1980s Rectangular Brick Facade Update
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Help. Looking for advice on how to update my facade and street appeal.
Comments (4)Hello, depending on the colour schemes you like. I suggest spraying the roof (probably charcoal colour) painting the gutters and fascists to match. Paint the bricks a light to medium colour. Windows and boards in white/light to contrast. As a neutral beige time selection I would recommend the following (without the fan deck in front on me). Roof, gutters & fascias - Colorbond Woodland Grey Bricks - darker then Dulux Beige Royal (Linseed is probably a little green but the right depth of colour) Windows & boards - Dulux Beige Royal half Keep the roof line as it is, the colour change will be amazing....See More1980s Brick Veneer/Weatherboard update + extra bedroom?
Comments (10)For the street appeal I’d get rid of some of the trees - at least trim them so you can see more of the front of the house. Then look to paint in a tone-on-tone set of colours with the weather board and brick in contrasting depths of colour. Greys, blues, creaming grey-beiges look modern and fresh. You could also choose a strong contrasting colour like dark red or bright green for your door to make entrance more obvious. For the extra room, agree that converting the garage would be most cost effective. Then spend a little money getting a carport designed to create visual interest for the front of the house. Good luck!...See More1980’s ‘spanish’ house needs 2010’s update
Comments (6)I would approach your house renovation with caution as in my experience the Spainish style is one of the hardest to work with as the architecture is so distinctive, and it takes a careful eye and hand to get the balance right. The builder, the interior designer and the architect will approach your project from different perspectives, and each discipline has their strengths and weaknesses. Your project is more than a two-dimensional floorplan exercise, so I would engage somebody who is prepared to visit your home, who takes the time to understand the existing building, its responsiveness to your Brisbane climate and the dynamics of your family. I find that with my clients the appeal of open-plan living changes as the children get older. There are great advantages when the kids are toddlers for supervision, but by the time they get to be lanky teenagers and bring their friends home to play X-Box the open plan living has lost its appeal. The advice that you receive from Houzzers should be treated carefully as none have visited your home and assessed it in any depth, so the advice should be thought of as possible guidelines based on the limited information that you post. Best of luck with your considerations, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls...See MoreHelp! Our 1980s home needs a facelift
Comments (68)Hi Sarah, If you refer back to my initial 'Help' post, you will see the ideas were already there and our dilemma was actually more in relation to which paint colours might work with our bricks. Also, I'm not sure where the idea of us not wanting to add a garden has come from as my post clearly states that the improvements 'will also include a simple low maintenance garden'. I can only assume that the confusion has come about due to so many expressing that we should just do the garden and not worry about anything else, but that would simply put us back to where we were before the previous garden was removed. With all due respect, I can appreciate that many have posted in an effort to save us from what they consider to be unnecessary work and expense, and for that I am truly grateful, because it would be really lovely to simply not worry about doing anything, and as you said, go and enjoy a holiday instead! :) That said, people also need to acknowledge that we are not all of the same opinion when it comes to buying or selling a home. Aside from focusing on our revamp, we've also been actively searching for our 'retirement' home. Suffice to say, the first thing we notice while driving around is kerb appeal, or should I say, a lack of when it comes to some properties, including ours at the moment! :( While the photo's may look good, in reality, the exterior is tired and dated, with the gravel driveway being close to bare earth. Compared to the interior of our home, costs outside have been relatively minimal, therefore I can honestly say that we are quite excited about this project, but, it's goes without saying that we don't want spend a bomb either. Might just be the only little revamp this exterior's ever going to get! :D Anyway Sarah, full credit to you for giving me my first aha moment, which came through reading the final paragraph of your post. You've made me realise, that up until now, some of the decor and colour preferences I've presented are those both myself, and my husband would like if we were the prospective buyers, as opposed to what might work in favour of a broader market. Therefore, after some discussions tonight, we have concluded that... Columns, will definitely be plain square, as round will appear too similar to the existing ones. Front Door and handle will be simple classic Porch tiles - both against the idea of painting, so will definitely replace Paint - haven't ruled out neutral creams. Colour is simply something we're going to have to experiment with Existing gates will stay and get a repaint Our home is a spacious 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom/ 2 car space with granny flat out the back, therefore we see it appealing more to couples with a young/growing family. I can't thank everyone enough for their time and effort in providing an endless stream of invaluable advice and photos... it's been nothing short of enlightening and I only wish I could print the visual that's in my mind now, compared to the muddle that was present when I first reached out for help. As with any revamp, the journey will be a mix of both highs and lows. That said, it's the end result we're working toward, and we expect to achieve nothing less than a positive outcome. Cheers again to all, Sandi :)...See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago



Paul Di Stefano Design