Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Yamaha HTR-5460 Obsolete? No DHMI port.

chisue
7 years ago

Do we have to buy a new A/V receiver? The newer Cable Boxes, TV's and DVD players have only HDMI connections. Or...is there a way to convert the receiver? (It's connected to five speakers.)

Comcast installed Xfinity service with 75 Mbps yesterday. AT&T's tortoise-speed internet is gone. We can stream movies. We now have an Xfinity-1 TV package, replacing the DirecTV we've had for decades. We like the Xfinity speech-recognition remote.

We need to replace the pre-2015 Sony BluRay that is connected to our receiver; newer models support CC -- but have only HDMI ports.

A little help, please?

Comments (5)

• duluthjeff
    7 years ago

It looks like your Yamaha HTR-5460 supports digital (coaxial) and optical inputs. To get it to work with an HDMI-fed device (or an HDMI input), you would need to buy a couple of converters like the ones on this this page

They would probably not carry the closed-captioning information. Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to replace your old AV receiver with one that has HDMI input and output jacks. You can pick up a new one for less than $200.

• chisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We had CC on live programming and on DVD's via the Yamaha when we were using DirecTV service -- up to last Friday. The only device that does not support CC *when streaming movies* is our pre-2015 Sony BluRay. (Bought a new one.)

Another forum has suggested buying HDMI-to-(Yamaha) Component cables to hook up the new BluRay (HDMI) and the Xfinity Cable Box (HDMI) to the Yamaha (Components).

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

Yes, they have changed all the connectors. I wound up buying a new Blue-Ray DVD, Yamaha A/V receiver, and a Samsung UHD 4K TV. It was all 15 years old - time to get new.

Now I have to find someone to help me lift the 36" Sony Wega that weights 216 lbs!

• PRO
    A/V Consulting
    7 years ago

You are correct. While you COULD cobble together something that would work, you would spend more doing that then just replacing your AV Receiver. And, yes, you can get one the will "do the job" for around a $200, my advice is set your price point to more like $500-$700 and get something that you will have for the next 10 years.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

I guess I'm going to be in trouble when my current fully-equipped cable box gets replaced with something with only HDMI ports. It's going to be fun connecting that to my classic 1978 monster stereo receiver. :-p Obsolete? What is this word you speak of.

Sponsored