Houzz Logo Print
nirvanamike06

Ac vents sweating

nirvanamike06
7 years ago

Now that we're getting into the nice Texas heat I noticed a few ac vents had condensation on them. I went into the attic and the ductwork doesn't have any condensation on them the I'm guessing condensing unit, a box with the drain pipe coming out of it, has some condensation on it but it seems the be the least insulated thing up there. I wanted to see if there was any sweat or mold on the inside of the ducts so I took the grille off the register vent and it was dry as a bone inside and no mold of evidence it had been wet.

Someone suggested the ac unit could be to small but the previous owner had it put in less that 10 years ago so I figured surely he wouldn't have undersized it and when I checked the outside unit it's a model number hs26-048-5p which I belive is a 4 ton unit. All the charts I looked at said it's oversized for my just above 2000 sq ft house with all 8 ft ceilings. The siding, windows, and insulation on the exterior of the home were all replaced last year so I figured it would give the ac a break but it seems like it's running more now then ever.

I have a guy coming over this weekend to clean and service the unit and see if it's low on freon. But I'm curious if anyone has had this problem before and what they did to solve it.

Comments (36)

Sponsored