Houzz Logo Print
darewing

Need help with kitchen design

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

Just received our preliminary kitchen design. I'm reaching out to those visual houzzers who can assist me. These are my thoughts:

-Not enough benchspace/cabinetry
-Should we lose the canopy rangehood and go for under-cabinet and create more cabinet space
-I want a 900mm cooktop but don't want to place a 600mm electric oven underneath. Prefer on the wall
-Should the dishwasher be tucked away on the corner left?

How can I solve this? Thanks!

The kitchen as per the dimensions is 5 metres long.

Comments (74)

  • 9 years ago

    white and white always looks good, doesn't have to match but i suggest a white for cabinets that's not shiny or every finger print and splash is so obvious and always looks dirty

    ...my new kitchen has a pretend vertical fine woodgrain pattern doors that doesn't show any dribbles but i'm sorry i went with a plain white counter...the textured counter i used in my last house was so much more serviceable and damage to your counter would mean replacing 3.6 m of counter, so choose carefully and difference between laminates and stone etc might be $1000!!

    BTW i always use simple brushed chrome D handles for bottom doors and drawer ...usually $3-4 each and no handles on top cabinets, remember you need about 15 handles and difference in price between $4 and $15 each can really add up

  • 9 years ago
    I was told the design will have self-closing drawers. Good or bad idea?

    Also, it will be a 2-Pac polyurethane finish. As per my other post in another thread, someone showed me their Dulux Natural White walls with Vivid white trims, doors and kitchen cabinetry. I thought it looked very nice.

    I think it not well lit areas the Dulux Natural white becomes a hint of Ivory.

    I guess, I'm trying to balance the ideas knowing its a rental but also with the possibly of returning and convenience for me too.
  • Related Discussions

    Need help to design kitchen/dining/living in a semi with high ceiling

    Q

    Comments (6)
    I think the bench/breakfast bar along the deck - with bi-fold windows is a fabulous idea. The storage space under the stairs makes more sense to me than a faux fire. An extendable table is definitely the way to go, especially if it is just the two of you most of the time. As for the kitchen sink - I can only suggest that you move your wall cabinet further right - extending the bench and then the sink can be placed further to the right. Downlights above kitchen bench - we have downlights about a metre apart and they provide excellent coverage. With regards to the cupboards being different in living/kitchen areas. I personally think that if you are going all white, they could be identical - creating continuity.
    ...See More

    Need help with kitchen design please.

    Q

    Comments (17)
    by using standard cabinets pulled out from the window walll and adding a deeper counter there'll be a narrow void along the wall with space to install a sink and dw and then cut out a space in the counter to allow for the lower window frame and create a dropped shelf for an inside "window box", ideal for a few small plants or herbs and then use tall shallow freestanding cabinets or bookshelves for pantry storage and add a small freestanding extendable dining table.instead of an island..eg IKEA Billy bookcases with plain and glass doors for the pantry and they have a wide range of suitable tables...and note that the pantry cabinet can extend outside the kitchen space eg glass doors would be good for dinnerware, glasses, books and music and if the new laundry door is positioned as shown there'll be better use of the corner shown as a "study nook" for a desk or ironing work space etc
    ...See More

    Need help with kitchen design

    Q

    Comments (10)
    Hi Shebin Shukoor , If you need to close the kitchen, but also need the U shape kitchen, I suggest the rolling door above the bench top area. If there is bi-fold door runing on the bench top, it means that you have to clean up all items on the the bench top each time you just finish your work on it, for example having breakfast, if not, the bi-fold door will hit the cutlery sets by mistake and some of them may be broken. so I suggest the rolling instead.
    ...See More

    Kitchen reno design help needed

    Q

    Comments (9)
    Did the $50k include demo and the new flooring or appliances as well? If $18k was cabinetry which isn’t unreasonable, was the remaining $32k just to remove the wall? What structural support was needed? You may not be able to open up the space without the structural work. Was there only one quote? Was it from a kitchen place? Did they sub contract out the demo and building? If so, you may get better pricing by project managing and organising the trades yourself. You need to finalise the structural items and layout before your get to the fun stuff of planning the kitchen cabinets.
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago

    self closing drawers are quite standard now and save banging the doors and breaking the hinges, wall and kitchen colours OK but what about floors and counters?

  • 9 years ago
    The benchtop will be like a marble quartz as well as the splashback.

    The floor will be a beige wooden tile which will go from the kitchen to the living area.

    Attached actual pic of floor tile and inspiration.
  • 9 years ago
    I would also seriously consider reducing the size of your oven and your fridge. The redesign above by oklouise is excellent. The small cupboard opposite, in your inspiration, would make an excellent narrow pantry.
  • 9 years ago
    Dishwasher very important for a rental. Gas cooktop very easy to clean on tenants leaving but incurs a daily charge regardless of use if there are no other gas appliances.
  • 9 years ago
    Go 2pac, soft closing doors and oklouise's first plan if there is a chance of you returning.
  • 9 years ago
    Great pointers there Lesley!

    Yeah as per @oklouise suggestions, the oven is 600mm. Fridge space is 800mm which I think is a fantastic suggestion.

    Went onto some websites and looked at the specs on fridges and the 800mm allows for it. Also, as its on the end, I can always increase the size at a later stage by extending the kitchen wall (if that makes sense).

    Microwave height I've reserved for 456mm as most MWs are this height. If it's on the wall, is this generally a built in oven or a free standing slotted in?

    Yes DW included!
  • 9 years ago
    I meant built in microwave
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    built in microwave will cost a lot more...my built in microwave was $1300 plus specialised cabinetry because i like that it matches the wall oven but it doesn't do anything else that i need for the extra $1000!!...a basic microwave can sit anywhere there's a power point but there's also a middle of the range microwave that has optional framing to make it look built in...check with the salespeople which one suits you...my tenants were happy with a shelf and extra powerpoint for the MW they brought with them...sounds mean but everyone has different ideas of what is required in a basic kitchen...some tenants don't use a DW??? I like a cupboard to store a small garbage bin out of site, everyone is different

  • 9 years ago

    So after revising the plan thanks to all y'all (special mention to @oklouise), the kitchen guy has finalised this plan based on the kitchen measurements he has. Anything I'm missing or should take into account?

    I do notice the very left cabinetry is wider. He's done it like this because it would be nice to have the sink in the middle of the window. For the under-cabinet rangehood, would it make sense to have the tiny cupboard next to it?




    Also, I thought I should show the laundry plan, very simple. The sink is to the right. Should I make the sink in the middle with two machines on either side like I've edited below?


  • 9 years ago
    Plans look great Little narrow overhead looks weird maybe have just open shelf or even better delete and move other cupboard to oven so but more room for light to bone in in space near window I have that
    Laundry trough in middle great idea as hate banging elbows on wall wen doing hand washing
  • 9 years ago

    the under cabinet rangehood hasn't been shown and perhaps the narrow cabinet is to allow for the width of rangehood machinery BUT first comfirm the rangehood size and how it has to fit and ask the cabinetmaker if they can make three "equal" sized doors just 'cause it looks better...i prefer the washer and dryer side by side with the tub installed far left or far right (personal taste for right or left handers) because it leaves a nice long bench to use for folding clothes etc saves a minuscule amount of under bench space, easier access to get the washer and dryer in and out, needs only one power point and it's roomier for the electrician and plumber to work but make sure that the washer taps are installed inside the cabinet and i'm hoping you're planning on a condensor dryer that also needs to be plumbed in...otherwise it all looks fabulous, well done you!!

  • 9 years ago

    It's not shown, but I'm leaning towards a:
    -900mm undercabinet rangehood
    -750mm cooktop

    I've edited the image make it show below. I'll confirm with the kitchen guy shortly.

    Also;

    Should the cabinet (to the right, above the microwave) be the same length as the rangehood cabinet?


    Preferably I would want 2 powerpoints, but given the length, it doesn't seem like it can be done? Or just have 2-3 outlets on one powerpoint? Where would it be strategically placed? Considering I will have a splashback..

    Was thinking to the very left side wall ...






  • 9 years ago

    Also, for the laundry, I was thinking undercabinet downlights, would this be smart? For the length, should I do 2 or 3 downlights? Or not at all..

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    two would be plenty in this space but they would be more imporatnt in kitchen and bathroom unless you expect to be doing close work in the laundry it's not really necessary but, if you decide to have them anyway, check where you want the switch they usually have an extra button on a power point above the counter (power point placed to suit an iron) and ask how and where the downlight transformers are placed inside the cabinets to make sure they're not on the floor of the shelf but attached higher up in the back corner inside the wall cabinet where they interfere less with what's being stored

    darewing thanked oklouise
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks @oklouise. Very good point on the powerpoint for where an iron should be placed, never thought of that.


    Also, any thoughts on the above post regarding the kitchen..

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    the rangehood over the stove should have a light and make sure the ceiling light(s) in the kitchen light up the sink and counter (not the back of your head) and a spotlight under the wall cabinet on the left of the sink with an above counter power point for the kettle and toaster on the left hand wall with the switch for the spotlight..another power point on the right hand side of the window would also be useful for other appliances

    darewing thanked oklouise
  • 9 years ago
    Is there sufficient space to place a powerpoint on the splashback between the cooktop and sink? I think another one can be placed on the splashback above the first set of drawers next to the dishwasher. Not sure what sort of splashback you are considering however you can get powerpoints with various covers so it may be able to blend with your splashback.
    My laundry bench is 1.8m. I have 3 undercabinet lights. My lights turn on via a switch on the double powerpoint which is on the splashback.
    darewing thanked antonia_d
  • 9 years ago
    I find downlights are so good that don't need under cupboard lighting in small spaces
  • 9 years ago

    there's a safety issue about distance of power points from sinks that make it necessary to sometimes place power points further away than ideal for use...check with electrican for each one

    darewing thanked oklouise
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Considering a 'marble-look' splashback. So was trying to avoid a powerpoint on the splashback but it's all give and take I guess

    Something like this..

  • 9 years ago

    please consider a splashback that covers the whole space from counter to underside of the wall cabinet and continued across behind the cooktop, there's a range of splashback laminates that may suit

    darewing thanked oklouise
  • 9 years ago

    Oh right, yes the entire back!

  • 9 years ago

    @oklouise, for the laundry, if I'm right handed (as most people are), should the powerpoint be left to the laundry sink? Ideally I would like it tucked away on the left hand side corner wall but then the cord would be in the way..

  • 9 years ago

    If you have a dishwasher why do you need a double sink plus draining space? Have u considered a single sink with drainage cut into the benchtop? You would gain about 60cm more bench top.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm with Jenny, why double sinks with a dishwasher? Currently re-doing my kitchen and have a single deep sink with no drainer attached to maximise bench space in a small area (though much bigger than this). Dish drying mats are good for those few items that don't go in the dishwasher.

  • 9 years ago

    re sink: get Australian made one which has a wooden chopping board you can put over the sink. I installed one and use the board lots of time, so would give you more bench space in effect.

  • 9 years ago

    even with the dishwasher, for myself, i still choose double bowl sinks with double drainers...quite rare now but i use the drainers as work space with and without a chopping board for pouring tea and coffee, standing hot pots and baking dishes, washing and draining big saucepans and vegetables and as a meat and vege prep and sandwich making area (where crumbs and scraps go straight into the bowl of my fabulous in-sinkerator) I would have loved stainless steel benches but my big sink does the job very well and was about $8000 cheaper

  • 9 years ago
    I'm a vote for double sinks. The second bowl can be 1/2 or 1/4. Nothing worse than having the sink full of water to wash up after entertaining and having no where to tip the dregs of drinks or rinse off sauces/cream. Even with a dishwasher I still need the second sink.
  • 9 years ago

    I'm with Marj and Jenny. Ditch the double sink and draining board. Such a waste of valuable bench space when there is a D/W anyway. A single, 500ml drop in sink with drying mat and a chopping board, allows for big pots and gives more usable flat bench space next to sink. Critical in a small kitchen, particularly as you're keeping your gas cooktop. Saves money and space.

  • 9 years ago

    I have found a tall, narrow cupboard (as proposed) to be very useful for storing large chopping boards, trays, oven trays and some serving plates. I wish I had an under-bench one to accommodate wider items.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sorry, hadn't updated since the sink. I was actually looking at this:

    https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/abey-lago-sink-pack-lg180tpk/

  • 9 years ago

    love it!!..best compromise between sinks and counters, now do you want the big sink on the left or right??

  • 9 years ago
    A 1/3 or 1/4 sink is USELESS Go single big deep sink with drain board and gooseneck tap as prob has longest reach into sink. Double sinks are great if 1/2 size for second bowl smaller is useless. Big hides dishes and allows room to rinse etc etc
  • 9 years ago
    @Fivedock. Love the sink. And the chopping board.
  • 9 years ago
    Agree with other posters in having a single large sink. It can be frustrating when you have large platters/roasting pans and pots that you can't wash in your sink as its too small. I have a 72cm single bowl and I am really happy with it.
  • 9 years ago
    Any pics of those who have single large sized sinks?
  • 9 years ago
    Single sq sink from Bourne bathrooms six not good photo but shows depth I hope
    darewing thanked girlguides
  • 9 years ago
    Single sink from Franke. It also came with a drainer and roll mat. The roll mat can be placed over the sink. I also use it to place hot pans and post on.
    darewing thanked antonia_d
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    After thinking about it, I think I will stick to the one above I chose - but thanks for your help.

    Cooktops

    It'll be a white kitchen with a marble splashback. Would a black tempered glass gas cooktop be a wise choice? What would your choice be? Kitchen look for visual aspect.

    1. Black, 700mm, 5 Burner $1,499
    2. Silver, 750mm, 4 Burner, $1,099
    3. Silver, 700mm, 5 Burner, $1,124


  • 9 years ago
    I prefer option 2 due to the size and that you should be able to use all 4 burners simultaneously if needed. If the pots and pans are on the larger side you may not be able to use some of the burners for option 3. We went with stainless steel with our cooktop over the glass as we thought it went better with the style of our home. Not sure which one would be easier to clean.
  • 9 years ago

    very happy with my black glass induction cooktop with only three burners...

  • 9 years ago
    I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno. I did consider induction but have always cooked with gas plus you also need certain pots & pans. I went with 750 gas cook top & 750 pull out range hood by Ilve.
  • 9 years ago

    good luck with your reno lisa..i'm too lazy to clean a gas cooktop and i did have to buy a couple of new standard good quality stainless steel saucepans but small price compared to the new stove

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    After you decorate your kichen, do you need solid surface bath for your bathroom?

  • 8 years ago

    We went for a 70 cm induction stove top which works well - bit more space than 60 but doesn't eat up as much bench space. Our space was limited too, and we wanted to maximise both bench tops and storage. I'd go for an under cupboard range hood and us the above space for some more storage - besides it streamlines the look. I personally like a sink and a small one - using the small one for vegetable washing and smaller washing up works well for us. Our space (and the necessity for two corner cupboards) meant that we had to have a small dishwasher - Bosch 45cm wide (several brands make them). It works really well if you have space issues.

  • 8 years ago

    I forgot to add - my friend who is renovating her kitchen has designed a narrow table on wheels to operate as extra bench space and sitting at table space.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    5 different types of kitchenettes · More Info