Houzz Logo Print
bropaul

Support for tomatillos

bropaul
6 years ago

I was wondering what other gardeners use to support tomatillo plants. I have been using large commercial tomato cages but am not happy with the results. Any ideas?

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

That's a good question as, depending on the variety, they do love to sprawl all over the place. Indeed many let them do just that - sprawl on mulch. If by "large commercial tomato cages" you mean the 3 or 4 ring round things they sell then I find them useless for just about anything except pepper or eggplants. For tomatoes, like many over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here, I only use 6' CRW cages.

What has worked best for me for the largest varieties of tomatillos is a square set of 5-6' posts and a bunch of string wound from post to post forming a loose cage around the plant. Doesn't look at all attractive but it gives the flexibility to add strings as needed. This is for in ground growing of course. If in a container, which I have never done, then I think I'd probably use one of the many 4-5' tall square tomato cages on the market.

Dave

• PRO
    JL Horowitz
    6 years ago

We use circular tomato stakes in our garden.

• User
    6 years ago

I use the ring-style tomato cages ... keep the stems inside the cage all the way to the top and let them flop

• PRO
    JL Horowitz
    6 years ago

Absolutely. Our tomatoes grow well in these cages!

• annie1992
    6 years ago

I also use the ring style tomato cages. They come in different sizes, I got the biggest ones I could find. They still grow up over the top and out through the sides, but they are somewhat contained. Two tomatillos give me all I can possibly use.

I slice them and fry like green tomatoes, I like them even better than the tomatoes that way.

Annie

Sponsored