Houzz Logo Print
beate_lerchner

Kitchen help needed

Beate Lerchner
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi gurus.

We are about to rip out our 25-year-old solid American Oak kitchen. It has served us well but time for an update. Have chosen shaker cupboards with fully intergrated appliances. The fridge and freezer will be intergrated also and both are only 600 deep so no bulky fridge that sticks out as you can see in the photos. I am interested in colour ideas. I like the idea of uppers and lower cabinets being 2 different shades. What are your thoughts? We are having 4 doors with glass fronts on the left uppers and an overhang for one barstool. Tearing down walls is not an option for this kitchen. They are brick. Currently the Kitchen runs through the middle of the house. Like a waistline.

Length is 9500 long and width 2350.

Proposing left run of cabinets to be 4557 approx long with 40 cm overhang for stool. Upper cabinets on LH are shorter so not in your face if sitting at stool. RH side is 4131 long and incorporates induction cooktop wall ovens Fridges and pantry. I like crown moulding but cabinet makers says to take in straight up with a bulkhead.

The opening you can see at the end of current LH bench will be closed off. Our house is painted with vivid white trims and windows and taupe light colours. Liking caeserstone fresh concrete colour in a honed finish. Sink is to remain under window. The opposite end will be a bank of 6 drawers. The current floor is being changed to match the rest of the house to Blue Gum.

Any thoughts and ideas would be welcomed. I want to get this right. Thank you Gurus.

Comments (38)

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Do you have an actual floor plan of the house with measurements you could post

Beate Lerchner thanked siriuskey
  • Yvonne K
    5 years ago
    Just some advice about getting rid of your old kitchen is to sell it on gumtree as the condition of your old cabinets and even benchtop looks good. I helped to advertise and sell my mums old kitchen and it was snapped up by buyers who came and did the work of removal as well.
    Beate Lerchner thanked Yvonne K
  • Related Discussions

Need help on making open plan kitchen living room

Q

Comments (14)
    I find it difficult to view your floor plan as it blurs if I enlarge it, so excuse me if this comment is invalid. Assuming the entry is from your living room and the home runs lengthways with the hall linking the bathroom, ldry and bedroom from the kitchen. The issue with this is that having two doors in the kitchen means you cannot form a working triangle for it to function well and don't have enough wall to fit out with tall storage. However, if you sealed up the door to the hall and opened access to the hall from the lounge as your plans seems to indicate in the top right of the lounge area, then you could widen the front opening into the kitchen rather than remove an entire wall, so integrate it into your living zone without lumping a kitchen in the middle of your lounge, you will improve your walk through flow, and gain a new length of wall in the kitchen where your fridge could go into the corner with a larger pantry flanking it, then your proposed layout t follow.
    ...See More

Need help with our kitchen/study/sitting area/flooring- builder needed

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Sally, nice plan, I like the tucked away but easily accessible laundry and butlers pantry. Where are you located? We have a team of kitchen/ interior designers and work closely with kitchen suppliers and builders that could manage your project for you. If you are interested in getting your kitchen areas highly specified, drop us a line on our contact us page http://www.bluetea.com.au/contact/
    ...See More

Need help with kitchen design

Q

Comments (74)
    We went for a 70 cm induction stove top which works well - bit more space than 60 but doesn't eat up as much bench space. Our space was limited too, and we wanted to maximise both bench tops and storage. I'd go for an under cupboard range hood and us the above space for some more storage - besides it streamlines the look. I personally like a sink and a small one - using the small one for vegetable washing and smaller washing up works well for us. Our space (and the necessity for two corner cupboards) meant that we had to have a small dishwasher - Bosch 45cm wide (several brands make them). It works really well if you have space issues.
    ...See More

Need help with kitchen colours in light bright kitchen

Q

Comments (4)
    One thing you might want to consider too is the finish of the bench top. Even though dark colours absorb light if you have a shiny coating on your bench top it might give you that glare effect. We have a dark green laminated bench top. And we get a lot on sun in the morning and the bench top is quite resonates a lot of glare. Opt for a matt finish in a material that won't throw a lot of light back. I have attached a photo of our bench top to give you an idea of what I mean
    ...See More
  • Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Siriuskey. I would love to remove the wall however it is a double brick wall and load bearing and on the other side is a staircase. Our house is already so open plan with the removal of walls and renovations my husband says no!!! I actually don't mind the kitchen tucked away from the main living dining area. When we entertain no one gets to see the dishes and mess. Its a bit like a butlers pantry. Crikey those timber kitchens were the go. I do have floor plans but their is no way my husband will entertain removing walls.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Would you just consider having the cabinets professionally painted adding the new bench top you mentioned, you could even rearrange some of the cabinets and reduce the depth of the current fridge space to fit your new fridge, you could have a lovely Hamptons look kitchen.

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Love these photos. Your suggestion of spraying cabinets is what my husband likes. I just think the kitchen looks old. Has anyone had their cupboards sprayed onsite? The other problem is the floor. It needs to match the rest in the other part of the house.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I don't have any photos but when my sister inlaw sold their house the new owners painted the cabinets which were exactly the same as mine and she said it looked amazing.

Not sure what you mean about the floor, the current timber looks good. You mentioned that someone suggested taking the wall cabinets up to the ceiling, but I think that could make your kitchen look very narrow and the best way to finish that off is to add the cornice and yours is very wide.

I would redo the fridge space, reduce depth. new bench top, splash back, appliances, handles and remove the end open shelves to a straight sided one, this would then also simplify/straighten the trim which dates the kitchen. A good paint job isn't cheap but your cabinets look great and have a classic profile., love to hear what you decide

• User
    5 years ago
    I would follow Siriusky's advice. She always nails it. For what it's worth I find your kitchen charming as it is but I know what it's like when you're over it.
    Beate Lerchner thanked User
  • Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes I love Siriuskeys comments. I follow all the time. I hope you are reading this Siriuskey as I cannot figure out how to respond to your last comment. I totally get what you are saying and if I was on a budget I would do this. However this is the last kitchen I will be renovating in this house and will probably be here for at least another 10 years. By the time I get cabinets cut down and painted plus replace all the appliances I figure I might as well give it all and do the lot. Plus the floor is to be changed to solid Blue gum and it needs to be laid over the floors entirety so cabinets should come out. Just hope that the shaker cupboards are still as charming and think I will have the crown moulding on top with out bringing them to the ceiling. Agree with Siriuskey that it may box it in to much. Will definitely post after photos when it is done. Have another designer coming next week. Thank you for all the comments.

• girlguides
    5 years ago
    If you’re there for another 10 years go with what you like. Personally replacing floorboards seems a waste esp as you have carper in two adjoining areas and not necessary for floors to match so long as harmonise. But if your heart is set on blue gum just make sure your colours go with that and you don’t make kitchen any darker which is why I too like two toned kitchens with light upper cabinets I’d google kitchens with blue gum floors before deciding
    Beate Lerchner thanked girlguides
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Beate,

If you can afford it go for it, as someone mentioned, sell the old kitchen or donate it to charity.

You mention shaker profile, it will look lovely as your current profile does but I would stick to one colour and as in my third photo perhaps make the wall cabinets taller, you could even light up above the cabinets. Make sure that any lights are adjustable just in case the ceiling has a few wobbles that would be highlighted with a light.

Are you able to post any plans, and does your designer do 3D to show you what it will look like,

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes Siriuskey. Have drawings in 3 D. Not finalised yet and am getting another quote as well. We are planning on rebated strip lights under the upper cabinets and the wall cabinets will definitely be taller and higher from the bench. 25 years ago they worked on different measurements:)

The ceiling has been replaced and is straight. That you for all your input. I will be posting photos in the new year of what I hope to be a very nice kitchen.

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello girlguides. Thank you for your comments. The photos I have posted don't really show the full layout of floors. There is a very large dining family room next to the kitchen leading out past the big (ugly) bulkhead of fridge and pantry. The room is 70 square meters big and has a study leading off it and a staircase. All is laid in solid blue gum so it will be a continuation of flooring. When we did the kitchen 25 years ago that room was totally different and had lovely mission brown quarry tiles. Say no more!! :) It would have been nice to throw lots of money at the house in one big hit but unfortunately it was not possible at the time. That section of the house was a complete new build in 2003.

• spmm
    5 years ago
    Redo the splashback which is dated, up grade the cream coloured appliances and have a fantastic overseas holiday on the money you have saved. :)
    Beate Lerchner thanked spmm
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I agree spmm, one or two of those European river cruises, why wouldn't you?

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You're too funny !!!! Yes that is exactly what we have been doing. Now its the kitchens turn.

Love your comment.

• Caro
    5 years ago
    I would love to see your kitchen painted part navy part white with new splashback and counters. You could look into retro fitting soft close door hinges and some other updates like lamanz corner cupboard hardware etc.
    Beate Lerchner thanked Caro
  • mummat
    5 years ago

We had an American Oak kitchen as well. We ended up resurfacing (with a professional) the counter tops (cappuccino was the pattern chosen) and resurfacing the surrounds and kickboard with two pack paint (semi-gloss white), new doors (as our doors had started to split and there was no guarantee that the two pack paint would work satisfactorily) and handles. We have cork tiles and the new look kitchen works well with the cork. Spent a little bit of money with a painted glass splashback. Cost a little over $10000. We are very happy with it. We already had stainless steel fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave - relatively new.

Beate Lerchner thanked mummat
  • The Doktor
    5 years ago

If the doors and panels are in good condition, having them professionally painted is far more cost effective than replacing them.

We recently refaced our kitchen and fully refitted our laundry.

The all new laundry doors & panels are Laminex Colourtech, while we stripped the old vinyl wrap from the kitchen doors and panels and sent them off for 2pac painting in the same colour as the laundry.

Side by side you cannot tell the difference between the two, however our bank balance certainly can. There was a cost difference of $5,000 to $7,500 (depending on the quote) between painting the kitchen doors and panels and having them replaced with new.

Yes, it meant we had a couple of weeks of living with a partly dismantled kitchen but well worth it in the end.

Beate Lerchner thanked The Doktor
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Just wondering if you had considered moving the new kitchen into the 70 squ m room for a much better kitchen space.

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Siriuskey I have I have. Much to my husbands horror. It really wouldn't work anyway with doorways where they are etc etc. Plus that part of the house has a concrete slab and to try to run plumbing and electrical would ruin it. Without doing massive massive renos and spending lots of money again its a no no. Great suggestion though.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Without seeing a floor plan I can't confirm how much work would be needed?, but it seems a shame to have such a small kitchen in what appears to be a lovely big home. Kitchens sell homes

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Siriuskey. I love all your ideas. Moving the kitchen is just not a choice. I know kitchens sell houses but we are not moving. We love our home (just need to update kitchen). If I was selling it I would definitely rethink the kitchen layout. I do have another question for you. Do you think if I had a mirror splash back on the left wall which will be long, it will stop it looking too boxed in?

Not really a fan of glass splash backs but have seen a photo on houzz that is actually not to bad. I wonder how well they hold up. I have large mirrors in the master bathroom and the edges are starting to de silver. Any thoughts on that idea? Thanks in advance Guru:)

• Caro
    5 years ago

I read today that if you paint your cupboards in 2 pack, to do the undercoat tinted the same shade. That way, if there are any scratches or dings they don't show. The also detailed that they ended up going a much darker blue as they painted tests and with 2 pac the colour came up lighter than in the swatches or single coat. You can get mirror backs re silvered . Silver Mylar can be added to re silver. Although if black you will need to clean - there are a few online solutions to creating a cleaning solution or you could have done professionally. If they are old antique mirrors they could have mercury backing so be aware.

Beate Lerchner thanked Caro
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Beate, You say that you are removing the doorway on the left at the end of the bench and that the room is 9500 long, what are you planning in that extra space?

Still thinking about the splash back, I did mirror in our daughters kitchen and it worked beautifully, not sure how it's worn as they have sold, I can imagine that it would be important to have the edges sealed so that no moisture can get behind the mirror,

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Just an idea to make the kitchen diner a more usable space by adding a Banquette setting, turning the desk into a side board with glass wall cabinets and removing the glass doors from the kitchen and making them solid doors, there's a trash draw on the left of the sink. Both corner cabinets are 1200 blind corner but the cabinet is only 1m long this allows for a bigger door and a better sized sink cabinet

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi again. Yes we are blocking that doorway off and continuing the cabinets further along. It gives me an almost 5 meter run of cabinets (drawers) along bottom less the 40cm overhang of stone to allow for one stool. The upper cabinets will not be as long. Yes, I agree about the edges of the mirror and will ask the designers opinion tomorrow. Great to know that you liked it in your daughters kitchen.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

This with the cook top on the other side and the small appliances bench in place of the cook top

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Keep in mind that if you are trying to hide the cook top the mirror will reflect it to the other wall, I would like to see you move the cook top across to the other side so that you could have a small appliance space ie: coffee, kettle toaster, blender, juicer etc

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Siriuskey. Thank you for all of your effort. You are amazing!! The designer has just left and in her opinion the cooktop should be on the other side too. The idea is now to shorten the RH side run and have a wall of built in fridges, ovens etc all at 600 deep with bulkheads to ceiling.

The other run will have a two seat space with a return at the end. This is possible because we are going to shorten the other side. Hubby thinks it will close everything in too much but I like the idea. Cannot wait to see the actually drawings when they come back.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

What length is the left wall which would now include the old doorway, the following link shows the style of corner cabinet I used on both sides of the sink, it can be the full height pantry on the right side and a base cabinet on the left, I think I agree with hubby, . What is going into the other end of the kitchen room, it's 10500 long?. I would also question going to the ceiling with those wide cornices.

https://www.kaboodle.com.au/products/detail/1000mm-blind-corner-pantry-cabinet

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

some more views for you showing the LH wall starting with Pantry/fridge/ovens/base cabinets with trash drawer and 300 deep tall bifold doors above the bench top to hide appliances, the doors are narrow so as to not project out too far when folded back.. 600 deep pantries can't go into the corner due to the window. this set up gives both great extra storage and bench/work space. This step back near the sink will make the kitchen feel more spacious as well. Please excuse the dated appliances used by my program

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OMG Siriuskey. You have nailed it!!! This is almost the same as the designer has come up with. I have measured the wall with the 2 seats on the end and it is 5 meters long. Then there is a big gap for an opening coming in from the front of the house which is identical on the opposite wall going in to the back of the house. Hubby thinks that if we were to take out full height Pantry and have our pantry in lower drawers he would be happy with the wall not being nearly completely filled in. You are very clever lady. Thank you. I will show him this as I eagerly await to hear back and get drawings from our designer.

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh I forgot to add that we have a fridge and freezer that are both integrated and take up 600mm each. Hence thinking no full height pantry.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Is that 600 wide and deep per and how much do you have to allow for installation. The 600 pantry on the end of the LH wall becomes part of the fridge freezer. Your pantry items would be ideal on the above bench shelves in the bifold small appliance cabinet.. You will also need a panel at the end beside the fridges to build them in. cheers

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Now with fridges

• Beate Lerchner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You are truly amazing! :)

The fridge and freezer require 600 depth and width each. 12OO nails it. Love what you have come up with. Now I just need to hash it out with designer. Will post the end result. I cannot thank you and everyone that has contributed enough. It is fabulous when fresh

eyes look at things. Not to mention Clever!!!! Thank you.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

good luck