Cost of double glazed windows?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
Related Discussions
What's the best window furnishing for double glazed windows?
Comments (4)Thanks for this suggestion. I need to be as snug as possible in the cold winter months here in Beechworth, ( the rest of the year is glorious), and I'm looking for the most effective insulation for the windows. I believed cellular blockouts would achieve this, but then thought Double glazing + blockout might be "over the top". I can't see draped curtains being so effective; perhaps I might settle for the blinds, and add some curtains for decorative effect. I can pay $3000.00 if they will achieve the insulation I need....See MoreDouble uPVC vs Double glazed alumiunium windows
Comments (1)we've used the standard double glazed aluminium for several projects in a similar climate to Canberra and the windows can have lots of condensation in winter without insulated curtains but we're happy to open and close our insulated curtains to follow the sun but "next time" we'll choose the thermally broken windows for the daytime living areas (to keep the curtains open on overcast days) but still use the standard double glazed aluminium "cheaper" alternatives in all the other rooms but, even more important than the choice of window style will be the choice of window size and orientation ...and each window can look the same but be glazed to be specific to the room ..consider smaller window areas eg narrower windows (with space to draw back curtains to each side) 1500 mm tall windows instead of full height, highlight windows rather than big windows with a view of the neighbours' ..good luck with your decisions...See MoreInvesting in Double Glazed windows. Options for other heating &cooling
Comments (4)I'm with your hubby I'm afraid. Double glazing is mostly a way to deal with cold radiating into a house, and heat leaking out of the house via conduction which is not the problem in Perth. Sure it will prevent heat from radiating into the house via the windows but mostly that's not how houses heat up in Australia. What causes a house to heat up is sunlight warming up the ambient air inside the house via a greenhouse effect which double glazing will not prevent, or hot air being born into the house on the wind. So double glazing will only prevent this if you intend to shut the house up all day. In which cause it's just the lack of air movement not the insulative properties of double glazing doing that. Single glazing would also do that. In Australia what matters most is cross ventilation in order to create a restful environment. Evaporative cooling works effectively when you have good cross ventilation as it's the evaporation of the water vapour causing the cooling effect. Additionally you do not want to shut up a house with evaporative cooling as you'll get condensation and mould inside the house. So if you are 100% on double glazing it will only be effective with refrigerated air conditioning as it's relying on preventing air exchange between the inside and outside of the house to work and preventing conduction of ambient air temps. Double glazing is not popular here for a reason, it's the wrong solution for our climate. Cross ventilation and proper solar management is the correct solution for our climate. So I'm with your hubby I think it's wasted money that would be better spent on controlling the direct sunlight to the home and proper ventilation....See MoreDouble Glazed Windows are changing the inevitable future to some today
Comments (0)Hmmm,…. Houzz is offering windows and then revering to choose options of old classical still casement windows, Hang-sash windows ect only!? Is no-one interested in the broad variety and insulating performance options of double glazed windows? Where to find the architects that have the KnowHow of our modern yet inevitable future of double glazed windows and doors? Who ever is interested in profound background knowledge and warm edge installation solutions of double glazed windows and -doors; get in touch with us for sale, service, installation and maintenance requirements. Only FinestraSA, got a German in it. Cheers Oliver Papendick Ps.: These are uPVC double glazed curved window in exchange for timber cream coated single glazed windows!?...See More- 7 years ago






Sourcecorp Group