Houzz Logo Print
tina_kashyap

LG or GE washer and Dryer?

tina kashyap
last year

Anyone has feedback on LG WM4500HBA washer? The other washer we are considering is GE PFW950SPTDS. We are more inclined towards LG with pedestal sidekick but the GE microban technology caught our attention. How bad is mold / smell issues with LG? There were different reviews there and we are not sure if it is as bad as it sounds. Anyone speaking from their experiences here?

Comments (54)

• wdccruise
    last year

CR tested both model washers. Both washed well but the LG earned a "recommended" rating for its better predicted reliability, noise, and owner satisfaction. Owners who rated them on Home Depot website like the LG better too: LG, GE.

• chloebud
    last year
    last modified: last year

I don’t think the mold issue is specific to LG. We have family and friends with other front load brands with the mold/smell issue. All I can offer is our 6-yr-old top load LG washer hasn’t had that problem. I would buy what fits your needs best with features/price and not get stuck on a specific brand. There are complaints about everything out there…LG, GE, Samsung, Whirlpool, Maytag, Electrolux…all of them.

• littlegreeny
    last year

LG washers and dryers are more reliable and quieter than the GEs. And the GE is still susceptible to mold issues if used improperly.

I'd get the LG 4500.

• Anne
    last year

I have the LG 3900 also. l’ve been very happy with it.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! That was almost unanimous. First time too :). Thank you!!

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

Any feedback on the sidekick pedestal?

• theotherjaye
    last year

We have seven year old LGs. They have been super reliable and excellent at their jobs. When they die, I would not hesitate to buy the same again.

• downbythebrooke
    last year

I have a LG. I recently switched to powdered detergent and all mildewy smell is gone.

• jandsmom
    last year

I have had the sidekick pedestal for the last 4 years and love it! My husband uses it almost every day to wash his running clothes.

I also wipe the glass and the seal after and leave it up for a few hours. There will be a little water left under the tub portion since it sits lower but I've never had an odor from it.

• littlegreeny
    last year

The LG Sidekick is also a great little washer. Two family members have the sidekick and the older version of the 4500 (their version is the 4370) and they love them. Sidekick is great for kids, delicates, intimates or small loads. The main washer has a recirculation pump LG calls Turbowash that allows it to wash a regular size load in about 35 minutes.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

well i have had LG FL and matching dryer since 2003 or so and its still going. had one service call, the charge to show up was outrageous, so i diagnosed myself, ordered the part and did the repair. total cost $5.

the rubber gasket does have mold/blackened only one the bottom part but i wipe, dry and clean the drain holes regularly. i do think after almost 20 years its inevitable.

i don't love the dryer, the sensor is terrible and more times than not the clothe are not dry. so most times i set to 'manual' for a longer period.

when it 'goes' i will more than likely get another LG, can't complain about 20 years of use! for the first 17 years, fam of 5, so it got heavy use

• dadoes
    last year

sprtphntc7a, interesting. An info search says that LG introduced frontloader laundry products on the U.S. market circa 2003 so you were at front of the line, assuming you are in the U.S., and apparently are still running an original-version set. Congrats! The dryer doesn't have a choice of auto-sensor dryness levels (less, normal, more, etc.) and more or maximum level doesn't provide satisfactory results?

• Rachel
    last year

Oh and one more thing I almost forgot about. The LG is not quite as deep as the GE for the approximately the same size washer. I have a nicely sized laundry room, but if everything else is equal, I'd opt for the shallower machine.

• wdccruise
    last year

@dadoes: "The dryer doesn't have a choice of auto-sensor dryness levels (less, normal, more, etc.) and more or maximum level doesn't provide satisfactory results?"

If it's like my LG DLEC888W dryer then it depends on the cycle selected. For example, the "Cotton" cycle allows one to choose one of five dryness levels but the "Sportswear" cycle doesn't.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

Another issue just popped up. It's how our builder placed the connections for the washer and dryer. The dryer is on the left side and the washer, on the right. I get the door configuration cannot be changed in LG, the washer door opening right to left and dryer left to right. Would have been ideal if the provisions in the build are done that way - just pop the doors open and move the clothes from washer to dryer. I guess it is not the end of the world to catch the load into a basket and move it to the dryer but would have been a nice to have. Anyone has similar issue? We checked with the sales guy and he said the hoses are long and they can install it anywhere within 5ft but it might cause the washer to extend a bit forward. Any similar experiences?

• vinmarks
    last year

@tina kashyap Ours is set up this way. I had an Electrolux washer which opened to the right with dryer on the left. Kicked it to the curb because it caused biostink to build up in our clothing. I bought an LG which didn't have door switchability. I was worried it might cause problems but It really is a none issue. I just go over the door to put stuff in the dryer. No biggie.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

@vinmarks, agree. This is not the most important thing compared to how the appliance performs. I am just curious about the feasibility of installing it in a swapped manner and see if anyone tried it and what their experiences are. Most likely we will end up installing it as per the build layout. Might as well get some workout ;-).

• dadoes
    last year

"wdccruise: If it's like my LG DLEC888W dryer then it depends on the cycle selected. For example, the "Cotton" cycle allows one to choose one of five dryness levels but the "Sportswear" cycle doesn't."

That may be related to sportswear commonly being stretchy, synthetic/spandex types of fabric that dries quickly, to avoid overdrying or damage or heat-set creases.

What are the types of material used to make sportswear?

Washer and dryer cycles aren't required to be used per the labeling. Choose what provides the desired results.

• mainenell
    last year

Our laundry area in our old house was set up for wash on right, dry on left. When we got tired of “hopping the doors” when moving the laundry we just switched them. Used a telescoping vent for the dryer and a set of longer supply hoses. The drain hose was long enough to reach. You’ll need a couple of extra inches in front of the appliances as it may take a bit more space for the dryer duct behind the appliances.

• littlegreeny
    last year

Your builder has the confirguration completely backwards. Why should you be inconvenienced every single day because they don't know how every USA washer and dryer is designed? I would request they fix the layout for you free of charge.

• wdccruise
    last year

In CR's testing the Electrolux ELFW7637A* washer performed well enough to earn a "recommended" rating and has a reversible door. You could combine it with its matching ELFE7637AW dryer or with a LG dryer, all of whose doors appear to be reversible.

With the doors reversed on both appliances, you could put the dryer on the left and the washer on the right.

• dadoes
    last year

Both of the houses my parents have owned and my house for 17+ years has the dryer on the left, because that facilitates exhausting it directly through an exterior wall.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

@mainenell, no issues apart from losing a few sq. inches of laundry space/room?

• M Riz
    last year

I have the GE w microban. They very large capacity machines, mine are on pedestals and there is no need to bend over to reach inside the machine. They also have automatic detergent dispensers which for me means filling them every 3 weeks and no detergent drips. They both have plenty of different cycles, the washer has a wash/dry cycle that will dry and article or two overnight which has come in handy. They are wifi connected so if youre like me, you can keep things moving along because the machines send alerts to your phone and watch when the cycle finishes. They are an inch or two deeper than standard machines which doesnt matter in my situation, but if you have limited space, can be a problem. The microban does its job, but to be honest, ive always had front load and never had a mildew problem. I leave the washer door ajar, but theres a drying cycle and a cleaning cycle for the drum. The only downside id that i feel like the washer is a bit loud, I close the laundryroom door, maybe a rug would help absorb sound. I would buy them again.

• vinmarks
    last year

When looking for washers I passed on the GE because of the automatic detergent dispenser. I like to control the detergent on my own.

• M Riz
    last year

You dont need to use it, and there are different settings if you choose to. One less thing for me, occasionally ill use a gentle detergent on some things, so its flexible.

• mainenell
    last year

@tina no, I have had no problems with the dryer function. A telescoping dryer duct is rectangular or oval and one piece slides into the other. The existing dryer location vented directly outside so the new dryer vent shifted over 27”. Using the telescoping dryer duct keeps the amount of space needed behind the dryer to a minimum. This one should work. Just use tin snips to shorten the duct. I used heat tape on all the joints, as they tend not be welded very well at the joints. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-28-in-to-45-in-Adjustable-Space-Saver-Aluminum-Dryer-Vent-Duct-UD48HD/203632347

• mainenell
    last year

Also, I have LG washer and dryer and use LG FL washers in all my apartments. A GE dryer for the apartments.

• vinmarks
    last year

@M Riz It can only use liquid detergent in the smart dispenser correct? I use powder detergent, powder borax and powder STPP. Rarely use liquid. It just seems like it is another thing that could be a problem. Not all detergents are equal. Some suds more then others. That's just my reasoning why I passed on that unit. I am sure it works well for others.

• mainenell
    last year

I use powdered detergent in my LG. It has an insert you remove to use powdered detergent. Never had a problem.

• M Riz
    last year

You dont HAVE to use the smart dispenser, the soap drawer is like every other machine except theres a reservoir towards the back. No you cant auto dispense powder, but you can certainly use powdered detergent by the load like every other machine. Everybody has preferences. glad you found the machine for you.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

@littlegreeny, like dadoes mentioned, the dryer placement is right next to the exterior wall and we also thought that was to facilitate exhaust but it could have been done the other way too, not a lot far away from the wall. However, the builder will not change the layout now for us, maybe he will be more mindful for his next project.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

@mainenell, thank you, checking the link and will remember to include it in the conversation with installer.

• kculbers
    last year

I am at work, so I dont know the model of my LG washer and dryer. I love them, no issues. I liked them so much, I purchased an LG dishwasher (so quiet), and a LG TV and a LG portable air conditioner. They all look and function wonderfully!!

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

@vinmarks and @M Riz, I think both the LG and GE models we consider have auto dispense of detergent. Now this gets me thinking if there be a possibility to bypass the auto dispense and use our own detergent and quantity? Going back to specs!

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

Ah, the dishwasher. That discussion is going on too. That seemed like an easy choice from the beginning - went with 800 Bosch. But the appliances guy says he does not now when we will get the 800 and offered Asko 50 series (comparable to Bosch 800, according to him). Another thread going on here on the Houzz. Ah, build blues! But I am glad to get lot of help here on Houzz. You folks are absolutely amazing!

• M Riz
    last year

Our thermador sapphire which is made by bosch took 14 months

• Rachel
    last year

@tina kashyap I put a Bosch 800 into my new build and I'm very happy with it. I had an entry level Bosch in my last home and it was very good also. It did not have a stainless tub, but at the end of the day, it washed the dishes well. I mention this because you may want to see if there are other Bosch models available. Also, I bought the model for the Crystal Dry. Not a big deal, but frequently plastics are not completely dry. I probably could have saved a few bucks and bought another model.

• tina kashyap
    Original Author
    last year

@Rachel, Yes, that's what we told our appliances guy - that we are open for other Bosch models. And, that we are not particular about handle too (our order is for pocket handle, but ok to move to bar handle if that gets available). Builder does not provide any cabinet hardware so we can make it work after all the appliances are installed.

• boba1
    last year

I have the LG WM4200 & DLEX4200 washer & dryer. The washer is made in the US. I got the dryer last August and the washer in October/November. On the dryer, you select the cycle for the temperature you want. I don't have issues with the dryer sensor cycle, I just always adjust the dryness level to the next level up from normal dryness level. The washer is good. I usually use the Perm Press cycle the most for general daily loads. Normal cycle is one I used the least. Usually wash in warm on hot. For towels and other things I want true hot water I use sanitize cycle and adjust soil level for water heating itme lengs. Unless using extra hot, hot water temperatuer is limited to 112F which I think is pathetic for hot water wash.

I have a Bosch 800 with Crystal Dry. I have no issues. I did change default settings to have the intensive dry/extra dry option always on. I get dry dish results just like a 1960s & 1970s dishwasher without nearly as much electricity.

• Trapped
    last year

I recently replaced a 15 year Bosch Nexxt 500 machine with a LG4000. I knew before I bought it that I wouldn't get the kind of water temperatures the Bosch had.

Overall I I'm satisfied with it. I don't see a decrease in cleanliness from my old machine-- so far, but I've only had it a couple of months.

If you haven't been spoiled with having higher water temperatures you will probably be very satisfied with an LG. It is quieter and smoother than my old machine.

The hot water selection on my machine never gets hotter than 109.4.F. If I choose xtra hot, I get 158F. I have not found a way to get anything in between which is a frustration for me. Not everything needs 158F or withstands that temp. My colored towels turned to sandpaper when washed at that temp. My white towels seemed to withstand that temp.

but the alternative of 109.4 for towels??? I haven't tried lower soil level to less than normal to see if that would get a lower temp for extra hot.

The machine seems to be harder on my clothes and so I've been using a lot more permanent press than I did on my old machine to compensate for that.

I guess time will tell if I end up with the body oil build up that occurs when water temperature is not hot enough. I have a real issue with that odor because I have a nose like a blood hound.

I rarely use turbo wash which the normal cycle has. Instead I've downloaded the full load wash which has the flexibility to turn off turbo wash.

• dadoes
    last year

That’s the most frustrating aspect of washers nowadays … lack of a reasonable range of temperatures. Warm is 75°F to 85°F. Hot is 105° to 110° at best. Then, the jump is to 150°+ on Sanitize or Allergen or Heavy Duty heated cycles with disregard for, no access to, the 40°F range between. Similar to an oven that bakes only at 100°, 350°, or 500°. Crazy!

• boba1
    last year

@Trapped, glad to know someone else experiencing my frustration with temps between 110F & 150F. I got the WM4200 last October. For Whites, Towels, and Prm Press, the hottest hot is 112F. Warm is 90 to 92F. I think those are pathetic temperatures thanks to Energy Star guidelines. My old Duet heated hot to between 125 & 127F. Warm was around 95 to 104F. Alleergan was 130. I"m still experiementing with the LG. I've lost the ability to download cycles. The last one I downloaded was Denim/Jeans. With a large looad of towels on Sanitize with maximum soil I could only get around 142 to 147F, depending upon whether I selected Turbowash (TW) or not. The downloaded cycle allowed another 35-45 minutes to hheated the wateer and that got me to 158F to 160F. Allergiene, or any cycle with steam option selected, takes away any sol level flexibility and cannot do a prewassh. But Allergiene can get up to 162-165F. I"m still going to be experimenting with sanitize cycle and various soil levels. Right now, I've det3ermined taht on Demin, extra hot temp, and lightest soil level, the temp reaches between 130F and 135F. I won't have the opportunty to experiment iwth another load of towels and Sanitize cycle with different soild levels until the 1st or 2nd of August. Unless extra hot is selected on Normal or Heavy Duty Cycles, the heater will not come on to maintain or raise temperature. Whatever the water temp is after it finishes filling is what it is, and drops from there. I do love the ability to add so many extra rinses. Adding between 5-6 cups of water to the tub before putting in laundry, tricks the machine into thinnking it's a very heavy load and that will result with more water being added for each fill regardless. Also rinse water levels will be higher and rinse time is doubled. I rarely use Normal or Heavy Duty. Like you, my geneeral go to cycle for daily clothing loads is Perm Press.

• Trapped
    last year

boba, good to know that lightest soil level gets a 130-135. It never occurred to me to try a lighter soil level to lower the temp on Sanitize. I'll try that .

The bedding cycle on this machine actually handles bulky things better . The Bosch struggled to get a heavier mattress pad totally wet.

• Trapped
    last year

Bobs. My sanitary cycle with 2 king size sheets and 3 pillow cases on lightest soil still reached 70C 45 minutes into the cycle.

• boba1
    last year

oops. I've only used Sanitary for Towels, not sheets yet. I'll be running another load of towels next week and I'll keep track of how fast the temperature rises. Last time I did this I was disappointed as the temponly got to 62C,

• boba1
    last year

Trapped, I'm doing a load of towels--8 sets of towels--bath towels, hand towels, & wash cloths. All towels are 30" x 52. Started on Sanitary heaviest soil, and after 60 minutes of heating/washing, still only up to 62C. My house is wired as 120v/208v, so about 15 to 20% less output thus takes longer. And I've just figured this out. With my old Whirlpool Duet, I didn't have a water heating issue. So I paused the cycle as "add item" lowered soil level to lightest and am givining it more time for water heating.

• spagano
    last year

Not sure if this is helpful but... Our refirgerator (Kenmore branded LG) just died and we could not find a reair person to fix an LG. I asked what they would buy and they told us and also said... for washers and dryers they would definitely buy an LG but not for refrigerators. So, LG.

• Trapped
    last year

Boba, I just did two loads on Jeans cycle/turbo, light soil, extra hot, hoping I could get a temp half between their programmed hot temp. of 109.4 and the 158F.

Soil level didn't seem to affect peak temp on the Jean cycle.

What I got was 145.4 which is the same temp. I got with normal soil and normal+1 soil on the Jeans cycle. With the towel load of 5 bath, 20+ washcloths, and 6 hand towels it got to 145.4 in 50 min.

With one set of king-size sheets and 3 pillowcases, it took 1 hr and 18 minutes to reach that temp.

• PRO
    SIDLER®
    last year

A close friend works for an insurance claims company for appliances. And she has told me the brand of appliances where they receive the most complaints and where it either needs repairs or replacements are Bosch, Samsung and LG. GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore all are much more reliable with the least amount of issues and insurance claims.

Sponsored