Houzz Logo Print
princessemily

Side yard

Emily Harvey
9 years ago
We had a side yard with over grown plants and trees and wanted it to become much tidier so we ripped out all of the plants and planted some hedges with a neat garden edge and pulled down the old blue fence and replaced it with a color bond fence n gate

Comments (54)

• Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I am only letting them get so high n keeping them a sharp box hedge
  • Nancy
    9 years ago
    they will look beautiful. :)
  • Related Discussions

Need help for a small yard that is to be puppy & child friendly, but not just pavers?

Q

Comments (5)
    We have always had Bearded Collies so we are used to the high energy thing - but we are lucky and have a farm with fenced pastures so they can run on their own twice a day. Ours don't dig up anything though so I guess we have been lucky. Good luck, I hope the trainer is right - for your sanity and your yard. We had to replace all the stretcher bars on our chairs with our last puppy. This is an example of what I was trying to describe. [houzz=]
    ...See More

Need help for my sideyard

Q

Comments (8)
    You are probably better to take some photo's and take them and a sample of soil to your local garden centre. You also need to be able to determine if the area gets full sun, part sun, is dry from lack of rain etc. The first plant that came to my mind was the Azalea but that is dependant on your growing conditions. They come in many colours and flower in winter. A little fish pond with gold fish would also compliment the Japanese style garden - but you need to check your local council for pond / pool regulations and they will not be happy in full sun.
    ...See More

Small side yard advice

Q

Comments (15)
    You've made a great start. I'd think about spray painting your security screens white and having all of your pots in one colour so that you've got a unified colour pallet (it helps bring a space together) then having climbers along your timber fence as they don't take up a huge amount of room in the ground/pot. I'd then bring in colour with plants and add colourful cushions on your seating. Remember too that green can be treated as a neutral colour, but with your white, gray and brown colours that are in the space already, keeping plants to pure green can be stunning. You could also think about a vertical garden on the fence (keep in mind you will want to have an automated watering system for them - that can go on a couple of times a day in hot weather to be as successful as possible). https://www.rivasdesign.com.au/ have great outdoor mirrors that might help you to expand the space. Whatever way you go, think about layered planting - tall to the back, mid and low height plants at the front. This will help you make the space feel a bit bigger.
    ...See More

Pool & Deck Area

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for your comment. There is concrete exposed aggregate around the pool.
    ...See More
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you
  • Pius Kimani
    9 years ago
    looking very nice
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    You've gained a lot of space. Looks great.
  • susancittone
    9 years ago
    I agree with carole0.
  • sandrapski
    9 years ago
    The new space reminds me of a gallery: neat, spare, and an opportunity to easily add color and change to the space. With the house having a large window into this space, the house interior will provide a nice "frame" and give the owners another vehicle for adding visual interest to the room.

A series of 4' x 4' panels could easily be constructed and hung from the fence - they could be painted a single color or perhaps an interesting design. A nursery in California carries waterproofed canvases with trompe-l'œil scenes - another interesting (and no water needed) way to add a "garden" without increasing maintenance ;-)
  • Deanna Johnson
    9 years ago
    Very nice & neat looking! A big improvement! I also like the idea of the trompe-l'oeil canvanses.
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all, each to your own but our style is neat and tidy so no clutter and easy to maintain garden.
    The before garden was messy and had no style as you look out the window from the inside it looks nice and clean the hedges are growing nicely it's the perfect area for the kids to play soft cricket and soccer ect so much space.
    With also having side access
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @ coroleO.."it looked better before"...that's what I thought too...but then I like the : "cloistered feel" with plenty of friendly plants and at bit wild....must have been a critter in a former life! There are the practical considerations though......what critters lurk in the bushes? Then there's..are the plants deciduious and what about leaf litter etc?....although its good compost,....mmm, two sides to every reno and will always depend on functionality. I'm not a neat freak by nature and not into minimalism, love some of the really ecclectic ideas on Houzz, but there's a part of me that hates maintenance that has me wishing for less....then I start wondering where I am going to put this or that and really...whose house is it? Do I live for the latest in interior and garden design..(.love it though I do otherwise why would I love HOUZZ?!) or...am I happier in myself surrounded by what makes me happy inside? Its a dilemma! I always reach the same conclusion...if my friends don't like my place then they can stay at their place!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ sandrapski...really? Trompe l'oeil canvasses instead of real plants? What is it that is the real bother? The bare "nice new" fence, the neighbours, the living atmosphere that's gone that makes you want to suggest covering up the fence with instant....fake scenery?
    And I'm not putting you down here and not being nasty...I'm just aghast. I understand the urge to fill empty spaces with artworks as I am an artist from way back and that urge is almost uncontrollable....but really, canvasses instead of living luscious plants?!
    Understand the family's need for space for the kids and access from the side and that a home needs to be functional and tidy....but I'd prefer to see that fence screened with the hedge as planned and may I suggest...some slow growing taller bushes at the back of the hedge to screen the sight of the adjacent dwelling. "Give me trees, lotsa trees ( land, lotsa land) and the starry sky above...don't fence me in". Anyone know that song? Anyone feel like that?
    I have a really ugly but very sturdy metal fence built in 1999 ( 135ft L x6.6"H of it) ...function? Keep the neighbour's destructive dogs and kids out but...UGH! Now, many years and backbreaking digging later...hedges and trees and flowers in between...as many non deciduous as possible....you wouldn't know there's a fence, and in the hot weather, so cool when all the greenery is watered and dripping and emitting oxygen...helps to have a pump in the nearby creek too. Guess I'm lucky...very lucky...wish everyone were as happy as this former critter!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Just a comparison....what I started with and what's here now...Often, though, I wonder if a Prince Charming needs to be thrown into this equation...since I could well end up as the princess in the castle covered with overgrowth...needs ,maintenance and the vine over the door has grown into the veranda...love it...but....
  • Luke
    9 years ago
    looks great emily. well done
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Hi Emily...just a word to you on your thread.
    What you have chosen to do is really lovely and tidy and wish I could see it when the hedge has grown...it will also be 'softer'.
    Love the colour you chose for the colourbond screen it complements the house. Do you like those green plastic-covered metal with jute planter hanging baskets..to "soften" places like new fences? They come in half circle as well and look really stylish planted with caascading plants and flowers...(.says the former critter who cannot leave an empty outside space without some form of live greenery.!)
    Just an idea for the time in between your new hedge and mature taller hedge. The best about these baskets is that if you get tired of them they can be easily removed.
    Bet you are time poor...so completely understand your choices of clean lines and no clutter...Couldn.t help noticing the sun streaming in your windows after the removal of that garden bed that cast quite a shadow. Bet that's a welcome change!
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I am very time poor I work very hard thank you for all your comments
    But as mentioned this is my style if you hadn't noticed I have planted hedges they will grow tall and thick eventually the fence will be hidden
    Yes it brings much more sun into the house which is so nice as that room was very cold
  • Nancy
    9 years ago
    and not just any hedge, Emily. The absolutely glorious Murraya Paniculata. Destined to fill you days and nights with exquisite perfume! I for one, am looking forward to seeing some progress pics of the hedge as it grows. Your side yard looks great and will only get better.
  • Elizabeth Dallmann
    9 years ago
    It had more character before. Looks very sterile now.
  • noor7654
    9 years ago
    I think you definitely accomplished what you set out to do. I too though prefer the former 'messy' look. It is though all a matter of personal preference and what the owner desires and how the space is to be used. I think my main 'concern' is that there are too many straight lines especially once the Murrayas are trimmed to box like shape (unlike before the garden had a more undulating shape /feel which to me at least = more interesting/mysterious). Now looks rather utilitarian and quite frankly like it may be waiting for the swing set to arrive...which again is personal preference and best use for the individual owner.
  • KFins
    9 years ago
    You could also use planter boxes, small ones, with colorful annuals or herbs growing. The boxes could be different colors, but keeping with the natural tone of the fence; thinking orange, red, and green shades. Just to give the wall a little pop.
    These are a google search, not my ideas or pictures!
  • PRO
    Republic Gardens
    9 years ago
    Nice job!! It does look clean and orderly and you have much more room to use in that space.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @Kfins,,,,Thanks for this Google to emily,,,,may I share? I just love the coloured boots...but then, that's ladyrob former ...well maybe a little skink would just love to live in there.
    Emily seems to be a very busy traditional/elegant type of person whose priorities seem to lie elsewhere than playing fairies in the garden, so I respect her sensible design choices and........ I am intrigued at that type of hedge that draws so much admiration,,,I want some! .Must go to the nursery to see if it is frost tollerant.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Elizabeth Dallman...yes maybe sterile-looking but only for the time being...wait for the prestigious Murraya hedge, it may suggest some further innovations along the lines that Emily likes.
  • Nancy
    9 years ago
    ladyrob1, where are you? I live in western Sydney and we get some overnight temperatures of 0 degrees Celsius during the winter with light frosts and Murrayas do very well here, even though they are native to tropical and sub-tropical climates. So they are fairly hardy. We had one in our previous yard that flowered repeatedly during the year. We used to joke whenever we had rain that the Murraya would bloom any day and it always would. It seemed that it was in bloom every 6-8 weeks. Easy to grow and will grow into quite a large shrub if left to itself. We are planning our landscaping at the moment and my husband (who is not known for any interest in plants) asked me specifically to include some Murrayas in the plan. :)
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Hi Nancy! I live in South East Qld at 3000fr (900m) and we get some plant-killer frosts. Thanks for this info! It might be a bit too cold here but no harm trying. I have a lovely Chilean vine that acts like that Murraya...it gets burnt but comes back twice as beautiful, It should not grow here but it magically does.Only every two or three years it yields a very limited number of woody contorted apple sized seed pods with little spikes on the outer shell, These shells are full of little packets each one with one seed and are in two halves...like a little boat with a lid. Under the lid there is a little papery 'blanket' in between the two layers of little seed parcels....its just so lovely,,,,and I'm a nut for the magic in some plants.....the Murraya sounds like it might grow here in my micro climate garden.
    Here's a PIC for you of my Chilean vine and again many thanks,,,How exciting!
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you to who read what my style is and what I am trying to achieve
    & commented positive feedback I love houzz because there is something for everyone
    And offers so many photos and ideas
  • Nancy
    9 years ago
    Your Chilean vine is gorgeous and looks to have made itself right at home. Give the murraya a try, well worth taking a chance on the frosts.
  • Edhal Maids
    9 years ago
    I luv plants so find the earlier picture better. Would luv to see what the new look after it is all grown.
  • Edhal Maids
    9 years ago
    sorry, comment meant for Emily Harvey
  • KFins
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob1, share away! I figure if it's on Google it's for everybody!
    I love the Chilean vine! It is magnificent on that white fence! Does it get out of hand? I live on 10 acres (much of it overgrown unused pasture) and I need low maintenance! I'm in PA, USA by the way :)
  • KFins
    9 years ago
    Hmmm wondering if that Chilean vine would grow on an arbor...
    @Emily Harvey, sorry to highjack your post!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @KFins..Hi...yes, sorry Emily from me too for hijacking your post too.

.KFins - to answer your questions re the Chilean vine (that's not its real name...I don't know what it is called).
    First, its not on a fence but over my slatted veranda door..(.PIC below so you know what I mean),
    Secondly YES it does get out of hand once it gets going and requires severe pruning every couple of years...very vigourous. Would be a beautiful thing for a large display on acreage but you'd have to keep after it.
    I bought at a nursery in 1989..planted it and thought no more for years...then all of a sudden there is was. Its low maintenance until it starts producing seed pods and I think it would be more vigourous in a warmer climate where the frost doesn't cut it back. I am in Australia at 3000ft up the Great Divide where it sometimes snows but very heavy frosts every winter.
    ARBOUR...Yes, I'll post a pic of the one I have growing over an arbour....or the whole roof of what was supposed to be a light vine covered car port!
    It only grows from SEED and seeds only happen every two or three years if you can find the woody pods. Despite its down side of being very vigourous and ability to take over..Its a source of pleasure for me who likes the wild.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Emily Harvey...whose post this is...Emily, show us what else you've done in your tidy style?
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Back yard had old pavement that was uneven surfaces weeds were getting through the gaps and had an old pergola that had timber rott and the clear plastic panels had holes in them from hail.
    We ripped up everything including the entire pergola
    Concreted and replaced the pergola with steal frame and 100ml insulated panel with out door fan and beautiful LED down lights
    The side blue wooden fence was way to low and neighbours could see in so replaced with a new colour bond fence
    Replaced the pool fence with a glass frameless fence and
    Where the fountain was we will be building an outdoor kitchen
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not finished yet
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    After everything was ripped up
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    New glass fence in
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Emily, you have done wonders! Congratulations. Is that an outdoor kitchen ...sink and bench to the right in the shadows? AND...is the hedge around the fenceline the Murraya that the other posters have mentioned?
    With these pics of your overall yard area it makes lots of sense why you opted for a traditional hedge as a complement to the rest of your reno...you simply do not have the style "houzz"and maybe not in the appropriate location that could sustain a rambling garden.
    Those blue gum paling fences were all the rage once and I agree it did not allow you much privacy from the neighbours and there was no sense in dense plantings to remedy the lack of privacy. The best thing is that you have given considerable thought to your environment and to what was the best solution in keeping with your surrounds.
    I say all kudos to you for creating a renovated version of what was the original style of your place. The "arty look" was definitely not appropriate for your place, it would have looked really old and cluttery and rather "make do".
    Glass pool fences are great when you don't want to obstruct the view aren't they?!

Its alright for those of us with older style homes outside of suburbia and time on our hands to be creative with up-cycleables and quirky decorations but that sort of thing would definitely not be the answer at your houzz....and I'd hate those hanging baskets I suggested along your new colourbond fence too! Definitely not the thing to do! One needed to have the whole picture!

You've shown goodjudgement an a common sense approach to your surroundings and their focus on the utilitiarian aspect.
    Time enough to get a bit more "arty" when you have more time to dedicate to "playing houzz"...its not something one can do when there's small children's safety to consider either. I bet you heave a sigh of relief when you go outside now knowing your yard is open and safe.

Agaih...is that lovely green hedge around the fence those Murrayas, Emily?
    What would they be like if they were not kept trimmed?
    Thanks for giving us the tour of your renos!
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    On the back fence there is a vine called star jasmine it's beautiful and thick
    Along the other side of the pool we had gardenias they were reely sick plants I tried to heal back to good health they were thin and just tacky
    So we ripped thoes out
    We put up x2 black lazer cut panels and graveled the ground in that little strip with dark grey gravel will need to put a bit of greenery there but just haven't decided yet if rather take my time in designing than doing things to quickly and regretting my decision
    The out door kitchen has not yet been built so fa our back yard has cost us $15,000 so will need to save up again the outdoor kitchen witll have roof , cupbords ,BBQ, clear front panel fridge sink and dishwasher basically so I don't need to go inside of anything having separate cutlery and crockery
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is the side view where I had to take the gardenias I would have loved to keep them as usually they were beautiful plants but these were so sick and even had a gardener tell me to just rip them out and start again
    They also dropped a lot of leaves so it drove my husband nuts
    The lazer cut panels are reely nice and at night time I can put tea lights behind them.
    I will need to add a few green plants along this area not to sure what just yet as it does look a little bare but it's on my to do list ( which is a mile long )
    Hahah between the post I have clipped my hammock very relaxing laying by the pool in the sun
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    It's a lot of fun to see this project come together through the discussion. Nice work!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Dawson and Clinton....I agree...this is why I love houzz! Somehow when I get a bit overwhelmed with what I;ve done...that is really lush and lovely but that needs constant maintenance....and I live alone and am getting old and not so strong as when I started with such enthusiasm...I go to houzz and see the courageous contemporary things and the "country style arty things" others are doing I take courage.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ EMILY! Thanks so much for showing us all that you've accomplished...what a big...ongoing job and its not cheap undertaking something like that. Thanks for the tip about the star jasmine...I have a beautiful planting of that.....or rather 'had'...I got a chap in to trim it for me who advertised himself as experienced....Oh Dear! He killed most of the vine by cutting it at ground level! Now its a brown horrible mess up a tall trellis and no privacy. I'm devastated. To make it worse the neighbour sits out on her back deck and calls out to me when I'm out there when before she couldn't see me.....I'm putting up atemporary reed screen...I think....would rather my star jasmine with the blackbirds nesting in it....I know the feeling of not jumping in in case one makes a regrettable mistake.
    I also had gardenias but once they get sick its not worth all the trouble. I've had to learn heaps about what plants are appropriate for my place and I've made some really silly mistakes too.
    I've never seen those cut laser panels before and am a bit intrigued. What are they used for,,outdoor lighting?
    That colourbond fence works really well as a privacy screen!
    You've done so much and have invested not only your hard-earned money but also your ideas! Hope you have some lovely times in your space.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Your hedge will be lovely when it grows up. A minor suggestion: your path doesn't seem to go anywhere.
  • Emily Harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The path leads out to the gate
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ groveraxle...It goes out the side gate as Emily described....and its decorative as well. Does it have to go anywhere? I think there were pavers there before...maybe Emily & Co have a wet problem there and need the path for that as well.
    I'd love to see the hedge at a later stage too....I want some!
  • karenleonn
    8 years ago
    Oh dear where have all the lovely plants gone? Toooooo sterile looking now
  • karenleonn
    8 years ago
    You have the option of a green view or a colourbond fence. Gee I would have thought that was a no brainer
  • PRO
    Designer Plants Aust.
    5 years ago

Hi there, we've noticed that a lot of people have talked about well formed hedges and using hedges as an option; have you thought about an artificial hedge as these can be a great solution, and last well! You can check them out here View the hedges here

• robandlyn
    5 years ago

old post