Houzz Logo Print
houzzau

Are you a cat person or dog person?

HouzzAU
9 years ago
You can divide the world into two kinds of people. Which kind are you? Tell us why in the comments...
Neither - (is that even possible?)

Comments (38)

• Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    I'm both, a cat and dog lover, love them all but probably my dog would be first, as she goes with me everywhere, something that's pretty hard to do with a cat although I have seen some people that have done it.
  • H M
    9 years ago
    I'm a dog person because I think there is no happier place on earth than a dog beach; all those wagging tails and never a cross word from the families enjoying the experience of walking them.
  • Related Discussions

Are you afraid of being home alone? Y/N, why

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi kooky_karen-well your security of your new home sounds super :-)).The two sides WILL B occupied sooner or later so ENJOY the current state as it is:-)) I have my own unit,at the back and have a patio with PVC blinds and nice white leather couches to sit on with my cat.Like your home it is very private and I LOVE it:-)).There R trees everywhere, lots of wild life and I can sit there still for a long time and enjoy it :-)) have a nice day:-))
    ...See More

Do you recycle?

Q

Comments (5)
    We have two wheelie bins outside, one for normal waste, one for recycling. Our council doesn't require different types of recycling waste be separated, and inside we have a slide-out under the kitchen island counter that hold the two necessary bins for separation. Separate to this we have a small compost bin on the counter. Anything we can compost ends up in the compost pits up in the veggie garden. A place we buy online stuff from is smart and packs their goods in these corn starch bubbles that look like foam - you can wash them down your loo/bath/tub or, as we do, compost them (they just dissolve when wet). This is important when remote - online is a great way to get everything you otherwise might have to travel 5 hours for, but packing materials quickly fill the bins, and there's only so much cardboard you can use as firestarters in winter) This is all helpfully motivated by the fact that we have no garbage service and our tip is about 30km away and that they don't charge for the recycling wheelie bin, while the waste wheelie bin is $10 per bin. We used to fill a waste wheelie bin every week or two prior to living here. Now we're only down the tip every 4-6 weeks (the good thing too is, all the old roof guttering & corro and ancient rolls of fencing and barbed wire that were dumped around the property are counted as metal recycling, and we've filled a couple of ute trips with that for nothing). We could probably do better than 4-6 weeks if we focussed more on (over-)packaging during the weekly shop. The only thing I want to figure out is dog poo composting. It's fine in winter, but when that wheelie bin sits in the summer sun for 4-6 weeks with increasing amounts of (even bagged) poo it gets a special kind of smell only the blowflies love (you don't want to see photos of our fly catcher bottle hung nearby).
    ...See More

What do you do with your pets over the holidays?

Q

Comments (25)
    yes Wuff it was extremely upsetting. I used to go to my car after every visit & cry & cry! My little guy is the apple of my eye & just the most fun lovable thing that even people who don't like dogs warm to. He's so used to being with people & having people fuss over him.Not the girls at quarantine though! You could see in his eyes he couldn't understand what he'd done wrong to be locked up & shunned & he used to howl & cry whenenver I got up to leave. The last week he was there he stopped eating. My 2 cats were rescues. My Maine Coon, Mr Bubba Coon was dumped at San Diego County Animal Shelter because he was the runt of the litter & deemed to be not big enough to be saleable. It was the height of the GFC. I brought him back to Sydney with me. My other guy, Spooky Cat is black & he & his sister were dumped at a vet in Five Dock here in Sydney aged 4 weeks. He stayed locked up in a cage at the shelter until he was 16 weeks old as black cats & tortys are the hardest cats to find a home for. When i took him home he just sat on the couch for a week because the concept of being free to walk about wherever he wanted was so foreign to him. He is the sweetest, loveliest little guy with beautiful yellow green eyes.
    ...See More

Needing help choosing a dog friendly couch, leather, vinyl or fabric?

Q

Comments (33)
    I had a 2nd hand lovely resort style lounge (cane with fabric) which quickly became pulled and tatty after my 2 small dogs had been using it. The leather lounge & two large leather recliners I have show no damage (regardless of long or clipped nails) and both pets love these. Having a blanket the dogs know is theirs is a great idea especially with leather, as the initial cold feeling of leather means both dogs only want to be on the blanket.
    ...See More
  • Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    It has to be a dog for me. I do like cats too, but they'll turn on you at any moment. The problem living in a city is getting a dog isn't really feasible, so I think I'll probably just settle for a goldfish - the happy medium.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    CATS are very special creatures!
    I'm a cat person although I do have a giant protective breed dog...because I am also female and a singleton and these days its not a gentle world. I love my dog and I've cried my soul out whenever I've lost a dog...it was like losing my shadow and not seeing it beside me I felt I wasn't there...the lonliest feeling in the world.....but I have a greater affinity with cats and I think that takes a special kind of quirky nature. I've learnt over the years what it means to be a cat. No, didn't mean a cat-person but "be a cat".
    More and more, the more cats I've bred and rescued or that have just wandered inton my life or that others have brought to me orphaned, as helpless little bundles with eyes still closed...more and more I've realised that I have a special raport with cats.
    A friend once said many years ago that I have...'cat mannerisms'! of course I had to make her explain and my first instinct was to feel if I had ears! No, just being silly, but one must agree, it is a strange thing to say to a body! She said I was cautious like the cat, that I didn't allow people to befriend me...I did the befriending but was always 'friendly'. ( I had to laugh at the mental image of myself rubbing my tail on somebody's leg!) Among other 'cattributes' it was that cats seemed to look at me and see another cat and treat me like one...and that is very true. I think it would be called 'having an affinity with cats and I suppose that's tghe best thing to have if you are going to have cats in your life.
    I used to think ( befiore I grew up)..before I began to see the world with the eyes of experience, that cats were impersonal creatures, that they didn't relate like dogs did. of course they didn't! And of course they don't, they are CATS...the most special of creatures, the most intuitive, the most affectionate and the most true...yes they will retaliate if you offend them..and serves you right because they will never be the first to offend you. If a cat scratches you, you've not been respectful to its needs or maybe it is frightened because another human has mistreated it. Cats are intuitive, cats will communicate their needs and their appreciation and...they have strong likes and dislikes......and they find ways of showing these. I had one that would bring me a little flower or a weed from the garden every morning!
    I have a fat fluffy pink/apricot cat with lovely expressive green eyes. She sits around as if she owns the place and doesn't mind strangers...she just sits...but..if somebody comes in that she does not like, even if she's never seen them before she will take the defensive initiative....She uses eanderment and her defence of choice. She makes the stranger think she really likes them, she rubs around their ankles and 'meows' sweetly gazing into their eyes, she sits on their shoes...and... when she has captivated her prey....they feel a warm wet sensation in their shoes...she pees on them! I have to put her elsewhere when strangers come because you never know who she will dislike even if they croon over her.
    I think cats are the best judge of character. I've often thought myself a bit potty in this respect but its always turned out to be true...so..if my cat doesn't like somebody I too am wary...( but I don';t wet in their shoes!
    I've had cats of all personalities, even naturally spiteful ones that have played some really nasty tricks on their housemates. I've rehomed located the troublemakers...they usually need to be 'only cats', its nothing sinister, they don't hate and its not really 'spite' just a character quirk the same as many of us have,
    I've had some wonderful times with my cats learning about their ways,
    Has anyone ever really listened to the lyrics of thew cat opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber...CATS? That will explain the world of cats.
    The song we all love - "MEMORIES"...is about a poor old cat called Grisabella who'd had a hard life, sitting under the full moon waiting to be reborn into a new life of the nine cats are supposed to have. "Cats are very much like you" is one of the lines...but we don't listen to the words do we? If you want to understand the characters of cats...who are very much like us......listen to the musical CATS...not just the music but the words!
    I'm a cat persion through and through because they teach ne about human nature!
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    9 years ago
    I, like Barbara am both a cat and dog person. But then I love all animals.
    Our beloved cat, Jerome lost one of his front legs in a rabbit trap (cruel neighbour) when he was barely 2 years old. He's now just 4 and managing well.
    He and our 2 year old dog Horatio are the best of friends.
    I just couldn't imagine life without our pets - they are remarkably entertaining, resilient, but devoted creatures.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Timandra Design & Landscaping....feel so sad when I hear of animals being maimed and so sorry for your pain over Jerome.Yes cats are remarklably resiliant and endearing and its so lovely to see a cat and a dog the best of friends..they have compassion for each other as we do...or should do. The devotion they give is worth any anount of money to care for them...and they could teach the lot of us plenty about being true. Love the names you've given to your animals!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Barbara...HI! and Merry Christmas to you too! I've enjoyed our exchanges.
    Take time for self and not too much cleaning...even though its obvious it is your hobby. I LOVE these pics of your Ruby...and on an Onka Paringa blanket all of her own too! She looks as if she'd 'mother' any creature! What a lovely natured dog! The line of puppies is absolutely gorgeous! Who can resist a litter of puppies or kittens.
    Pipi seems very happy to have Ruby for a mother. Sorry I can't reciprocate...all my cute and unnusual pup and kitten Pics ( including my Doberman babysitting the tiniest siamese kitten) were taken pre-digital camera so the pics are all on film paper.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob1,Can't you have your pictures scanned and then filed on your computer???Fortunately for me, I have a printer/scanner but you may be able to take your photo's somewhere if you can't do it yourself.I would love to see the siamese/doberman pic!!!Yes Ruby has only woollen blankets AND an electric blanket AND a doona AND a coat to keep warm on these unusually chilly nights still in Dec, as she does sleep outside allbeit on the veranda.Ha ha about the cleaning, you wouldn't think that if you walked in here at present, I have half a bale of hay on the carpet, well perhaps I'm exagerating a bit ha-ha.....and three baskets of washing to fold up but still been busy baling, in fact almost tipped over the baler when I went to back up a few feet and forgotton that I had a bale behind me, luckilly just bent a few things and it shook me up a bit but all's well and we were able to continue baling.
    I was never in danger just the bank balance for the damage ha-ha
    Look forward to continuing our converstions in the new year.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Barbara...yes I could scan and file everything...but a question of time...and I'd probably spend the day missing all my beauties.
    Not surprised at the bedding for Ruby. My Jupi has his bunk in the sunroom behind my bedroom since he decided that my large bed near the windows was a comfier option. He used to sleep curled up at the end of the bed with the puses but.he is no longer a puppy, a;beit he was a very large puppy. He also has his array of fluffy blankets and a warm coat...that I had to alter to fit his shape, so its a "designer". Hope you are ok after the baler encounter. Not cheap when you bend your farming machinery! Worse if you had put yourself out of action...those balers can be a bit of a trick...sorry you are hurt but glad I wasn't driving it.
    You might like this pic of "Gooby" (sadly missed now) meeting my friend's horse.
    The title is: "Gosh that's a big dog! Thought I was big!"
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob1,
    Hi Robin,
    All animal photo's and or videos, are always so cute and endearing.
    You know, it's interesting how your persona changes, when you reminisce and generally talk about your animals.
    Your words become soft and loving and I can see that it's the most precious part of your life when you speak of your beloves four legged friends.
    No displeasure about the assination of a beautiful piece of furniture being painted or worse still, talk of that beautiful color called "black" and lets not mention those tiles, you know which ones ha-ha and yes I do think the photo is beautiful, two species of animals just saying hello!!!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Human beings are complicated creatures, made of many facets,. each facet for a particular type of situation.

Wordsworth in his epic poem "The Happy Warrior"...( a magnificent insight into human nature), states that the most courageous warrior is the one who has much to love.

I guess that's the duality of some human beings....not all.
    Selfishness taints the character. Often it weakens one's ability to love without conditions. Standing one's ground on principle and when others are just plain rude, ignorant and self centred and being immoveable in all those situations that shape who an individual is,...even in those that are basically innoquous and not really the real substance of life, the little differences of opinion, likes and dislikes...sometime rather important issues, others not..are the other things that define the strength and convictions of those who are truly thenselves...and sometimes those who would like to be regarded as different. Most people wear veils.

Others more openly and unabashedly, can be clowns, they can, alternatively, be strong defenders of principles and others, and they usually have a strength that is not easy to push aside because based on character, on pain, on caring, on right...and mostly on love...be that of people or creatures and for the whole of what is beautiful and worthwhile.
    "Prickly" is often one very strong characteristic....but that too can never be moved once it has been pronounced.
    Unfortunately that makes for a difficult friend for many and that's the "trade off".
    In simple words...If you can't stand the heat and the pace get out of the Chef's kitchen.
    Alternatively, there's plenty of room for reconsideration on many an important issue.
    For the rest..if .it is of no consequence, if it becomes obvious there's nothing more to learn and no advancement possible, then its something to leave aside without further thought.
    Apart from that, everyone is allowed an opinion.

Animals are the simple creatures that only care about the simple things and in exchange will give their entire lives and loyalty!
    What's not to love? And how much to learn!
    And.....what significance things like colours and tiles if not trivia for people to play with and enjoy and choose among...and that's the "fun" in life....it can't all be serious!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Here's a photo that I did scan........My Boys Gooby and Cielo at a pitstop on our way to the beach.....Rented a "Pet Friendly" beach house, went swimming. Its really nice when people consider that pets too need a break.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @ladyrob1,
    Robin,
    Absolutely beautiful photo and you look so happy and proud as punch too!!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Those were the days. Sitting on the tailgate a dog on each side eating Maccas, travelling around the country towns meeting smiling faces. Its amazing how a couple of dogs bring a smile to people's worried lives and invite people to say "G'Day" and stop for a chat. I find that too many are too uptight these days, too quick to take umbridge, too quick to see negativity where there isn't any and far too eager to make themselves accepted and to sacrifice their own individuality to have this acceptance. Its scary! I prefer animals...and I love the HOUZZ forum...its like a window to how everybody lives and aspires to live. Some of it is really inspiring.
    "Give me a house among the gum trees.." .a dog or two or three and a Siamese cat family..and I wish we were allowed to have Guinie Pigs and Rabbits etc" I'd love to have a pig and a goat....I'd better stop.
    The latest TV show " River Cottage" is my idea of a paradisical lifestyle!
    Might make it yet!
    The "Tiny House" movement! Is exciting!.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Would you believe that our oh so precious Jerome was euthanased this morning after a snake bite. We didnt know and realised too late.
    Vale Jerome, our 3 legged cat with a massive heart and ego! Not yet 4 years old.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @Timandra,
    Sooo sorry about Jerome, I would be devastated if I were faced with the same dilemma.
    My heart goes out to your family and I'm sure the other four legged family will give you a special extra loving, as they do seem to know when a human has suffered a heartbreak!!!
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thank you Barbara.
    Yes Horatio seems quite confused - his best friend is not here to torment him.
    Jerome was special - the loudest and most cantankerous cat I've ever known, but what great character. He hated being held because he was such a big cat - like a Main Coon.
    To realise that we'll never see this precious boy again is so sad.
    Thank you once again for your sincerity.
    Alison
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Hi Alison and so sorry to read about your Jerome...after we'd all only just exchanged cat stories. Just yesterday I was sitting on the front steps looking out into the garden counting all the cat and dog graves,,,its amazing how they leave their paw prints on your heart.... and the bigger they are the more it hurts to lose them
    .I remember exactly where each one is beginning with the first I ever buried here but I also believe that its only their bodies...they have a special place too.
    I like to think of all mine welcoming each other there to go play in the fields of fresh grass and butterflies. We need to believe in something especially when we've said goodbye to so many. Maybe you could think of Jerome being welcomed by his friends playing in the fields.

Horatio would know what has happened...they realise more than we know, so he may need extra cuddles rather than mourn alone. Besides, he will want to be comforting his sad family.
    I like to think that when my time comes they'll give me an extra big allotment where I'll be able to live with all my cats and dogs. I feel so l sad for you losing Jerome in this way and especially around Christmas...must be difficult for the younger ones.
  • sylviatra
    9 years ago
    Cats are fine if they're kept indoors; they do so much damage when let out at night. Little Blue Wrens in our garden don't stand a chance with a cat that can see so well at night. I live in a beautiful forested area in the country where most folk love the flora and fauna. Some people have a sheltered area for their cats that is fenced off from the forest. That way their cats can lie in the sun play with their toys and provide company and love without killing birds,lizards, frogs etc. Cat owners, please consider the wild life and keep your beloved cats under control.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    I'm with you sylviatra...but from the other perspective...as happened to Allison...cruel neighbours who set rabbit traps for pets and such like. I have a beautiful fernery for my cats...nobody can harm them and they harm nothing. I concede that there are cat owners who are irrisponsible but I don't think that this was the time or the place to remind cat owners of this...when Allison's Jerome first had to endure losing his leg because of a nasty neighbour.
    Its nobody else's business to police other people's animals...not with cruelty, and this was not the place for such remarks..even if they are valid. Time enough for that when discussing pet-owner responsibility, not when a fellow Houzzer is so distraught.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    As I will remind those who disapprove of cats outside, how does a 3 legged cat, with a front leg missing, catch a bird?
    We have an abundance of wildlife in our 1 acre forested garden. Birds, koalas and frogs galore. Ground and tree dwellers live in our garden because we have bird baths ever where for the birds.
    And we also have a feral cat problem. So why shut my 3 legged boy inside when he just wants to sit in the sun?
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Dear Allison, the unthinking comment to cat owners was way out of place here and especially since you must still be so distraught at losing your beautiful boy after caring for him so deeply as you did. I feel so sad with you and for you and its obvious that you don't need reminding about how to care for animals. Some people need a bit of balance on this subject and a wider perspective. Sadly many only see their side of the story. Its often difficult to see both sides. I respect you for all your care of your three legged boy and I am sure your love and pain are not going unnoticed by him. I believe that their spirits stay around for a while. You have done your very best to provide for all the creatures on your land! I wish that everyone did!
  • V M
    9 years ago
    @sylviatra I've known plenty of dogs to catch and kill wildlife too. Perhaps you should look beyond your own bias. And as a fan of both cats & dogs, I think we all need to be more responsible, not just cat-owners.
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Our innocent looking cavalier king charles spaniel has killed two indian minor birds in our back yard ! He has learnt to sneak up silently on them just like a cat! - wears a bell now very embarrassing!
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ asquithoatley Those Indian minor (?SP) birds, I think, are not native to Australia...(somebody correct me if I'm mistaken)...they are a pest. They kill all the smaller birds I've managed to attract to my garden. The same with the Butcher birds. I love the song of the Butcher bird and do appreciate all wildlife so do not like to be responsible for domestic pets killing wildlife.
    Very funny your little dog wearing a cat bell...I don't think it will work, he sounds too clever. but 10/10 for trying! Maybe now it will get around the Minor bird community that there's this animal on the ground that's not a cat that catches birds... so stay on the wing...better, stay out of that yard!
    I've done my bit for my place. As a breeder of Siamese cats way back then, the first thing I had built was the big fernery with an access tunnel under the house. It still works well and enables me to go away knowing that my cats are safe and not doing harm.
    Honestly though, all animals have their predators even in the wild. I like to watch David Attenborough's documentaries but cannot look at lions killing wilderbeast or other wild prey...but its nature. On the domestic scene its our responsibility to keep our pets fed and safe...but we cannot take their instincts out! Sometimes there will be a mishap despite all our efforts.

What I cannot abide is some people thinking they are the "pet police" and going all out on neighbour's domestic creatures no matter what the situation.
    A neighbour across the street here actually lured his neighbour's cat into his yard and with the excuse that "cats kill birds". He tied the trusting cat in a hessian bag and put it under his car exhaust.
    It goes both ways. Nobody has the right to kill or maim other people's pets but if we do not want this to happen and do not want our pets to kill the wildlife we need to find a rememedy to keep them comfortably contained.
    On HOUZZ there are some really innovative ideas for providing pets with a safe area in our home and environment. One person actually designed his house around his cats!
    Each to their own but responsibility belongs to all.
    For those Houzzers who are cat people...it can be a lot of fun inventing ways to keep our domestic friends safe.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    This is our rescue,she does not shed she is a woodle,part Wheaton, part Poodle.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    What a cute dog! Never heard of a Woodle...even her "breed name" suits her. She looks avery comfortable on that sofa...and blends in with the decor! How large do Woodles grow?
  • PRO
    cearl11
    9 years ago
    Dog person
  • PRO
    cearl11
    9 years ago
    I love cats and dogs
  • PRO
    Eliot Koey
    9 years ago
    I'll vote for both if possible ...
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Guess
  • PRO
    elsker design
    9 years ago
    May be a little late on this poll... But life would not be the same without Sergeant Schultz, our German Shepherd. Woof :)
  • tianicholas
    9 years ago
    My dog is willing to come wherever I go and play with me but my cat has mood swings. I still love them both.
  • Nicole McCann
    9 years ago
    i have 2 cats and 3 dog so I'm both
  • queenie
    8 years ago

After my friend's dog stole my three year old's sandwich (out of her mouth!) I don't have dogs, cats are cleaner to have in a house as long as you provide kitty litter. A house with a dog smells so bad to us. My neighbour used her dog to clean up after her toddlers - licking the floor, the high chair tray, etc. and that was the wash they got. But I must say I do love dogs too - in the right environment.

• PRO
    Phoebe Isedale
    8 years ago

Dog person!

• muzzzdezzzign
    8 years ago
    Dog person, They smell, lose hair & their farts stink...... They fit right in at our place