Houzz Logo Print
nasir_khan61

North East Facing House Layouts

Nasir
2 months ago

Hi all - just came to know about this forum.

Any architects here who would be able to advise paid or unpaid about how to better design my house to maximise the passive solar benefits, particularly in the hot summer time?

The picture below is a design that I created using my little knowledge of Passive Solar design but still feeling like this can be improved more and would perhaps require a review by professional architects.

The lot is 15 m by 40m (600 sqm) located in Perth (Zone 5 Warm Temperate).

The actual orientation of the lot is at a 45 degree angle to North. I have heard a lot from people talking about benefits of placing living in North. Any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (120)

• oklouise
    2 months ago

imo the alfresco on the southwest corner is better shaded as the late afternoon sun can only be stopped by solid vertical screens and an alfresco on north west (and inside) would be exposed to the most direct western sun that is horizontal and not stopped by any depth eaves by late afternoon and the SW alfresco is also partially screened by the wall of the family room and a central or nw pool location would split the back yard into two smaller area that would need to be further from the house to allow for the safety fences...if you plan for a pool it should be included in the plans for the house even if the pool is not added till later...imagine sitting inside and looking out to the pool and the gardens at different times of the day...a house plan designer with a modern CAD program can provide you with 3D imagines to explain the impact of sunshine in different seasons and at different times of the day and you will not regret the investment in the best plans

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks @dreamer @oklouise and @siriuskey for all of your feedback. I am taking this last layout straight to builder for quotes Tomorrow- the builder would most probably build it by starting from their standard design layout with standard window width and height and insulation material etc.

The least the variations are the more it is going to be cost-effective. I noticed in the past two meetings with the builder that they like to keep variations minimal.

In terms of windows what should I tell them specifically? Should I leave them do their standard windows design layout? Or do I inform them what specific windows (what width height in what room) I want? I feel like I need to have double glazing smaller windows on the north west/southwest and other?

• Related Discussions

East facing house

Q

Comments (1)
    Look at designs that have the family/kitchen/meals on the South side looking onto a north placed deck/courtyard area. However can you post a pic of site with the North shown.
    ...See More

Floorplan for East facing block advice

Q

Comments (22)
    the floorplan is good for the right climate but with cold winters and hot summers there needs to be access to more northern light in the centre of the house and with the width and orientation of the block it should be possible to place the length of the house at a slight angle towards north and closer to the southern boundary to create a wider side garden on the north side... but the plan has some discrepancies with sizes of the central rooms and there's an extra 13 sq m in the centre of the house and that makes the kitchen at least 5m from the nearest window in the dining room which is then shaded by another 4m of the fixed roof alfresco which will shade much of the winter sun without blocking hot western sun and the family room windows are too small to compensate.. (living in the same climate) i know that retaining winter light is essential for comfort and i'm wondering if you would consider rearranging the plan to try the kitchen in a brighter space, have a use for the extra 13sq m (enough space for an extra bedroom!) or if you have any other concerns that need to be taken into account to include in more detailed suggestions ...this first plan is a copy of the original placed on the block and showing the "extra" space in the middle...not necessarily a bad thing but more sq m to pay for if the space is not needed or could be used better elsewhere
    ...See More

Best alfresco solution for north facing living and entertaining

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I do like the idea of the indoor flowing out to the outdoor so not sure a separate alfresco would suit. Something a bit off center towards the western end may work. I am also loving the idea of skylights in the house roof. Also considering keeping the main roof structure as is and adding a flyover roof for the alfresco that is quite high and slopes up to the north... I thought if not enough sun gets into the house in winter I could put a couple of skylights or translucent strips near the house end of the flyover.
    ...See More

North facing family home-HELP!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hard to know without seeing the other details Kate has asked for, but you could do something like this... Green homes Australia may have some designs. Also a basic L shape will work which is kind of what I’ve drawn haha. Where do you live as well as climate dictates how you want to do things. Check out yourhome.gov.au for info about that :)
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    2 months ago

More cost effective to use exterior awnings and plantings than double glazing.

• dreamer
    2 months ago

When the home is built with normal windows you can work out what windows need extra shading from planting or awnings. In summer to get the sea breeze in to naturally cool the home, you have to open the windows any way. In winter the sun needs to come into the home through the windows to warm up the inside. Double glazing is not required.

• dreamer
    2 months ago

Where I have marked the red lines are the windows that will need some kind of EXTERNAL shading in summer. The south west alfresco will be an excellent place for getting washing dry in the winter, and summer also.

• Kay Bodman
    2 months ago

It depends where you live in Perth Hills or beach. You need to catch the doctor from 11 am on in Summer, so high clerestory windows on SW that can be shaded for the afternoon heat. a northern heat stink is ideal for winter to warmth into the house. You can get from the BOM a Breeze map, then unlucky also need the CSIRO book on building a passive house. There are also charts of the sun obits in all season, solar installers work with them. To build a passive house one has to work with the known science to make the best use of a passive house. Then work with the building materials. I built a passive house in Brisbane, after living in Perth for 20 years. I have used sandwiched steel, and all the passive tricks. No ac, and totally liveable in high 30s and 80% humidity.

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks @kay. That’s good to know you are talking about Science. I am an engineer by background and quite interested in what you just discussed.

What would you advise on the above layout? If you were to modify it slightly so that we have an 8 star energy house, what should i add/remove. We discussed the C shape style house but unfortunately the cost went up by like 80-100k.

• siriuskey
    2 months ago

Nasir, did you watch the final Grand Designs Renovation on ABC TV last, they have a replay, it was about a lovely young couple who took on a Solar Passive Reno on their 50's cottage, excellent program.

• dreamer
    2 months ago

Grand designs transformations. Australian version.

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I haven’t watched - will do. Thanks for letting me know.

• siriuskey
    2 months ago

It's not a new build but think it will be helpful

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi guys! An important news that I wanted to discuss with you guys since you have been massive support so far. Unfortunately due to changes in the financial situation and fear of blowing down my budget I have had to release that lot and instead purchased a new lot (smaller but not too small). See the photo.

Guess the orientation is also different now. Am i looking at a mirror image of the previous design for this new layout now?

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Lot 62 arrow indicates front of the house when standing on street facing lot

• dreamer
    2 months ago

You have 200sqm less than the previous block of land. You will be struggling to put all your wants on a single storey design. If single storey, It will be a very compact home with minimal garden. What is the build ratio? 50% or more?

• Kate
    2 months ago

And yes will need to flip to put garage on west side if you can. But you need to see where the services and driveway are. We do not know constraints of block.

• siriuskey
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Looks like Lot's 59 & 60 are sold and Lot 63 is under offer

https://www.homely.com.au/homes/proposed-lot-63-langshan-street-southern-rive/10227770

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@siriuskey all are sold on this block now.

• siriuskey
    2 months ago

I hope this helps you to understand how things have changed with new block, and as dreamer has suggested a two story build would now be more suitable to unable you to have what you want.

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Double storey again would lead to the same cost, so we have decided to let go the idea of self contained guest house. A family style 4/2 would be more than sufficient providing one of the rooms could still be used as multi function like Theatre or guest.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    2 months ago

Hello Nasir, Interesting reading all through this conversation. And then change of site! To a smaller one no less! I do like Siriuskey's plan for the site and feel it would be best. Even tho I love a courtyard home: Which I fee is another room a healthy outdoor room. Garage needs to be the south west corner with the living to the front and NO internal bathrooms. The ensuite needs to be on the external wall for free light, ventilation and ease of living. If you build essentially a four bedroom home (providing robes in all) then one can be a rumpus/media/study/extra sitting/guest quite easily. Also do not put the laundry near the kitchen: it is too unhygienic and needs to be where the washing is created by the kids bedrooms. A three way bathroom is best for the kids and easy to add an external door for pool use too. I have a sun map that will assist you work out where the sun will be: Interested to see how you get on with this project. Just a question: are any of the sites on the next street over, with north to the back garden available: they would be easier to design for! Cheers Margot

• dreamer
    2 months ago

I have looked at the subdivision that your land is on. It is zoned r20. Therefore a 50% build ratio. Therefore you can only build 212sqm structure on this piece of land. There is a home for sale in Southern River, open tomorrow. Same size block. I suggest going to look at the home that is for sale. It will give you an idea of what can be built on the land you have posted. OR, just buy this home and move in into the home in a month…. 50 Welford Promenade, Southern River, WA 6110 https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-southern+river-144171760

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@siriuskey! I am confused here. In the layout you included the garage is on the North?

• dreamer
    2 months ago

@Kitchen and home sketch designs, the design siriuskey has posted today, is the design for the 600sqm block, not the 424sqm block.

• dreamer
    2 months ago

Nasir, the design is for the 600 block!

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Have a meeting today at 1 PM with a builder, any chance you guys could draw me some concept layout where I can then get the builder to draw it for me

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

*in details

• dreamer
    2 months ago

A builder will have an extensive listing of various standard designs. Garage on the west corner, living areas on the north east. Just look at Perth builders websites before going to builder. Plunkett homes, summit homes, dale alcock homes,…. To get an idea of what is available for a 12.5m x 32m block size.

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

That house for sale has a very good layout i rekon for itself size and orientation

• dreamer
    2 months ago

This one has a pool and larger block for $699. 16 Tincurrin Drive, Southern River, WA 6110 https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-southern+river-144326292

• dreamer
    2 months ago

And the backyard in on the north!

• siriuskey
    2 months ago

dreamer my last drawing was just to show Nasir the difference between the two blocks and how much the size of the house will need to change and be condensed and now that he has eliminated the guest suite that's a big help.

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@siriuskey yeah. With no guest house it should now allow me quite a flexibility.

• siriuskey
    2 months ago

This is a very basic idea of what sizes you could achieve, the wider opening would be down the family room side and not behind the garage. this can also be flipped it needs a powder room and bathroom beds can be rearranged. But just a quickie to help you

• dreamer
    2 months ago

Siriuskey, would this plan be flipped with garage on the west corner?

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

And Living on the NE, yeah?

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

So, after meeting with the builder, this is what I have been proposed to modify and build upon. This is a modified version of their standard design.

• dreamer
    2 months ago

I would have a window on the north side of master bedroom. Long vertical or horizontal highlight window on front Western side. Have scullery running along west/north wall, then window splash back on north east. Laundry as is.

• oklouise
    2 months ago

the builders' proposed plan appear to be much bigger than the allowed 50% and much too long (have they include accurate room dimensions and setbacks for your new block?)..my new suggestion is about 50% (excluding alfresco and porch) has a much simpler hip roof and still allows space for a pool and makes more use of the northerly aspect with careful choice of window size and shape and external shade blinds

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I was thinking a theatre room where the master bed is would be better that way it could be used both a small lounge like old designs and perhaps master away from Street would be better don't you think. Overall this design looks better specially how intrtna and external living are located together. Instead of IT Nook I would like to have a scullery.

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Or perhaps keep the theatre closed to Alfresco that way it could be used both as part of our door living

• oklouise
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

theatre next to alfresco would block kitchen or family room from outdoors and you need wide views of the backyard from busy area if you want a pool but theatre can be swopped with master and space next to the kitchen was always a scullery and the computer nook is in the family room

these rooms are reasonable sizes and furniture helps explain available spaces and i've shown the simple hip roof but keep in mind that this plan is more than 100sqm smaller than your original so would be much cheaper to build but you will still need external shutters to screen some windows for some parts of the day during hot weather

• siriuskey
    2 months ago

Trying to work with your builders plan, I have also pushed the house towards the front boundary to keep as much available space at the rear of this much smaller block.

There are many ways to do things but you must have the one that suite you and your family best. There are two toilets in this plan but a 3rd could be added into the laundry / storage space

The family living can have doors to open and close off the Theatre when needed for larger family gathering and also allows extra space for the alfresco .

• PRO
    2 months ago

This last plan is far better: all the social rooms together and the laundry is a decent size. I like the ensuite better: db vanity!? but I hate the internal toilet. Can it pinch some space from ensuite maybe... sorry back to single vanity!! The living rooms all together is far better for noise and activity away from sleeping zone. Better.... Cheers Margot

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I was wondering if we could reduce the set back on the left side where the rooms are (4.5m instead of 6m?) That way the living room would be a bit wider. This R20 zone, meaning I am allowed to build 50% (that obviously doesn't include patio/Alfresco) build area and hears that another 5% can be allowed (subject to approval).

Also, thinking that 1.75m on the right of the house might be a little more than required.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Anything over one meter between house and boundary will allow for a tad of garden which is great for shading windows and giving visual health! Far better than just a path and not being able to get round the HWS or other mechanisms! Plants are far nicer!!

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I just feel the living area might be a little too small for a typical 4/2 house. Can keep that right side to more than 1m I'm that case, but if I can bring the set back on the left to 4.5m would that help?

• PRO
    2 months ago

Nasir, If you build a broom cupboard behind the laundry external door you will not have the dead corner in the kitchen!! Much better!! Enjoy, Margot

• Nasir
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yeah - good point. I am also thinking to not put Master room on the front and instead a theatre would be better placed here. Purpose is to use this room as a multi purpose/function style. For example, could be used as a theatre/study/ or separate sitting area away from the main living so when I have "NOT" family friends come over (which often I do) this could be used as a sitting area.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Yes where would you put the master, robe and ensuite then? I do like the idea of the sitting at the front but it does present other problem!! Cheers Margot

• Nasir
    Original Author
    last month

Could go to where the Media room is or perhaps just above the Garage where other two bed rooms are.