Houzz Logo Print
madxl

Bathroom window covering.

Carol
9 years ago
Need Ideas on a bathroom window cover to suit colours in bathroom:)

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Discount Custom Blinds & Shutters
    9 years ago
    Aluminum shutters would be good. They won't rust out or warp because of the high heat / moisture environment. We offer the Weatherwell and Weatherwell Elite aluminum shutters. If you have question feel free to contact me.
  • oldstones
    9 years ago
    If you are not wanting to put new windows or blinds in as advised above, then I would look at shower curtain. Find a shower curtain in a color/fabric you like. Cut and resize to fit your window, put in a nice curtain rod and hang it. Shower curtain material is water resistant and will look nice in damp bathroom conditions. With your very beige bathroom - pretty green foliage fabric, turquoise beach motifs or a pretty bird motif fabric would be nice. Add new towels, a bathmat and soap dish or dispenser to match the new colors. Inexpensive way to have a new look.
  • Related Discussions

Bathroom window covering.

Q

Comments (17)
    @Lee Rohrbough, the picture you posted is one fantastic stylish bathroom, absolutely love the whole design but especially the tiles. I have already chosen travatine tiles for my new bathroom so can't change that but I have a hint of a tile colour called Emperador as a feature in the shower and although your tiles aren't Emperador, it sure looks allot like the colour. Is this your bathroom or one you have designed??? Simply outstanding!!!
    ...See More

Help with front bathroom windows!

Q

Comments (16)
    Looking at the outside, why are the windows in the extension different from the other windows? Is it an aesthetic choice or a pragmatic one? Since the windows are different, why not make them a statement? Do something creative with the glass . There are all kinds of coloured and textured glass. Go talk to your local glassworks. Or investigate stained glass options. You can even paint glass with special paints for a stained glass look. You might be able to find a local glass artist who could design you something stunning. Look on it as an opportunity, not a problem to be fixed. And compare prices. You might find an option you can afford that turns the windows into a wonderful feature. However, if you really want a window covering, I would recommend shutters. We have recently put in plantation shutters in our back sun room. We love them. They changed the whole look of the room for the good, provide absolute control of light and privacy, and are much easier to clean than venetians. You can get them in any colour you want if you pick the right company and they are very cost effective in small areas, but be aware that they measure in place for accurate sizing and the actual shutters are custom made in China. Ours took over 3 months to arrive, due to Covid. Then we had to wait for the installer another week or so. But they were definitely worth the wait. They are hinged so you can open them out to easily clean the window glass, and the shutters themselves just wipe clean.
    ...See More

The Great Bathroom(s) Debate

Q

Comments (18)
    I would prefer to keep the WC separate to the Bathroom as you have 3-4 kids? who will get bigger very quickly, having a powder room downstairs won't help with the morning rush to school., But it's your house so I have added a pocket door between the WC and Bathroom. I have also taken that small robe space for an extra vanity in the WC/Powder room. No width dimesion given for the WC The ensuite could use that extra entrance space as a sit down makeup and hair bench for your wife.
    ...See More

Create ensuite & bathroom from current semi-ensuite, toilet & bathroom

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello Sam, I can see this working without creating the internal room that Sirusekey did in her plan Making a powder room with its own basin on the hinge side of the room. I am sure you can keep some of the cupboard and make a larger shower with bath and vanity, then a cav slider to ensuite with shower, vanity and loo under window: small but all there. The cav slider is a must to get in and out of the room and you have the robe to assist with another level of privacy. Tis good: will work. Cheers Margot
    ...See More
  • Sheryl Horton
    9 years ago
    You could also use patterned window film or glass.
  • Farzana Molvi
    9 years ago
    Yep Oldstones right put up curtains made of shower curtain material which are water resistant and you're own your way redecorate as many times as you like using a different, I had a bathroom with a window just like that and I lived with it for years.
  • Maria Enerhardt
    9 years ago
    I simply covered my window glass with 'window film'. Quick and easy...about $30. Let's 97% of the light in...but no one can see in. Clean , non-clutter look. Many patterns to choose from.
  • walnuttown
    9 years ago
    I just did the window film fix on my bathroom windows and we were extremely pleased by the upscale look with the bargain price. The key, I learned, was getting a well made film.
  • rogergober
    9 years ago
    RogerG
    I'm sorry to say this but that is one ugly window. The best possible option is a synthetic polymer shutter which is both paintable and water proof. We use these products on the exterior all of the time. You must make sure that the material is solid and has no wood content. The best thing about the shutter application is that the rail widths are about 2" and will hide all the bronze aluminum frames around the window. Also keep in mind that the rule for opacity on any covering is if you can see the blue of the sky or the green of the grass in the day then flesh tones can be seen the opposite direction in the evening with the lights on. 35 years in the window treatment business.
  • lesleyann2012
    9 years ago
    That window needs covering. A Moroccan or Indian screen painted white. Add a lantern to cast some interesting shadows and a pile of fluffy white towels. And a scented candle. Ok I'm done.
  • User
    9 years ago
    What about stained glass panels? They will obscure the view enough for privacy. Make sure the edge of the panels are made with zinc.
  • PRO
    Home Escapes LLC
    9 years ago
    Nothing would do more for the window than a window valance. There are many different styles ro choose from and it would give the room a pop in my opinion. Happy decorating!! ☺
  • PRO
    Home Escapes LLC
    9 years ago
    Nothing would do more for the window than a window valance. There are many different styles to choose from and it would give the room a pop in my opinion. Happy decorating!! ☺
  • winkoo
    9 years ago
    I like the shower curtain cut down idea. I am pretty over blinds and shutters because of the cleaning. I went from a house full of blinds, mostly wood to curtains, Toss them in the washer and clean is easy to have. Something bright for that room imo.
  • lagwagonshow
    9 years ago
    Looks like obscured glass. Why cover it? Too bad the window frame is brown....

Paint the casing to add some color, if you still want to cover the window use the shower curtain idea so you don't block light. My preference would be to find a color that works with the brown frame and paint the casing and sill, forego the covering.
  • Deanna Johnson
    9 years ago
    I also have a window in the tub/shower area that came with my 1936 home. It took 2 years of trying different things, but this is what I settled with & it works for me. I have window film to block the view during the day from the house next door, 2" plantation blinds (not the wood, but the synthetic) to close at night when the lights are on, covered with a light airy balloon curtain. The blinds hold up well to daily showers with just a quick wipe of the towel afterwards on the very bottom, & I have not sacrificed any light into the room, one of my main objectives.
  • Maria Enerhardt
    9 years ago
    The window is at an odd place. (For me), instead of drawing the eye 'to' the window, I prefer to try and make it disappear. I would accomplish this by painting over the frame in a white (the color of the molding), then adding the window film called 'Spectrum' from WallPops.com. Will let light in while giving privacy: http://www.wallpops.com/spectrum-privacy-film.aspx
  • indianpatti
    9 years ago
    Glass block would look nice
  • phill001
    9 years ago
    Get a plain white curtain and get a material the same color as the tiles and add it to the bottom of the curtain exactly where the tile starts and ends. It should blend well with the wall and tile.
  • becplatts
    9 years ago
    window film - a clean/neat look
  • Christiane Wingert
    9 years ago
    We ripped out the window frame and replaced the opening with glass blocks,
    They were even with the tile inside and the siding outside and easy to clean - no mold, no mess, no fuss.
  • roxannevacek
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    My vote: bamboo.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Glass blocks that's what we have
  • phill001
    9 years ago
    Looks Great
  • helixg1
    9 years ago
    We just put this privacy window film on our bathroom window. I'm happy with the results.
  • Gretchen Maurer
    9 years ago
    I agree with lagwagonshow the glass is already obscured. I think accessories and art would draw the eye and leave the window as is....bring in an accent color
  • PRO
    OpenShutters
    9 years ago
    A great sustainable solution to this would be Western Red Cedar shutters. By being solid (unlike many of the cheaper competitors) we have found that Open Shutters insulate a home by improving heat loss by up to 47%. The resultant reduction in heat transfer significantly lowers the requirements for air conditioning. Which simply means lower power bills.
  • Diane Smith
    9 years ago
    We have a window in our shower area as well, have used the vinyl patterned/clear motif shower curtain, works very well.

However if you are considering exposing the window to shower water running down the window, there is water and moisture after each shower to consider and you can't expect everyone to clean up properly after showers. I am concerned about the wood trim and privacy issue.

Option 1:

a) If your window and trim is vinyl, no problem with moisture, however if your trim is wood, consider replacing the wood with marble strips to have that added protection around the window wall area, perhaps have the ledge tipped to the shower wall avoiding a build up of water to pond, also will be easier cleanup, will eliminate needing to paint the wood trim once it starts to peel years later. Apply waterproof caulking at the joint where window meets trim will be needed.

b) For privacy, consider Tremclad's frosted glass spray, have tried it for privacy in entrance doors and basement mini windows, works great, easy to apply, read instructions and have fun, I even used masking tape to have a clear edge around the basement window, to allow a clear view to the outside.

Option 2: would be remove the window.
  • noor7654
    9 years ago
    @ Open Shutters:.... In a shower? This shower? Really?
  • PRO
    Clear-Vue Glass
    9 years ago
    We've added these glass shields over shower windows which do a great job of protecting the window from direct shower spray. You'll still have the overall moisture concern -- so be sure to have a quiet exhaust fan that's powerful enough to dry your space thoroughly. Glass could be obscure, or filmed or etched with complementary motif.
  • Diane Smith
    9 years ago
    Clear-Vue Glass: interesting option.
  • PRO
    Clear-Vue Glass
    9 years ago
    I should also have mentioned that the glass could be a lo-iron or color neutral to truly disappear, which would not appear green as the glass does in the photo. Attached picture shows a shower with lo-iron glass for an example.
  • V W
    8 years ago
    We have just added this matchstick blind. We got it from the local hardware store (bunnings) and hand cut them to size. (We also have awful brown windows - bathroom colours are natural, black white and brown).
  • Jeannie
    8 years ago

vicwhit

My window was that awful brown colour too, so I etched it, then painted it white. I've also managed to get paint on the glass, so will have to get a professional for any other paint jobs like that. Now realise I should have taped the glass before painting the frame. We live and learn!

• PRO
    Protek window tinting & blinds
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

High Carol,

As a professional window tinter here in Tasmania , I would like to mention to those who suggested as well as offering further info. to all ( and for those contemplating there use ) the use of decorative / opaque/ frosted window films ( as is , with many solar films) are NOT suitable for applications onto the highly textured side of the glass, as shown in your photo. ( nor are the liquid spray on or paint on tints)

As a general rule ,that type of glass normally has a less textured finish on the opposite side which is usually installed facing the outside which will also limit the type of film that could be used successfully for exterior applications .

Some may be fortunate enough to have had the glass installed back - to - front which would then be better suited for interior film applications .

If it's both cost effective and practical enough, one could have the glass reversed by carefully splitting the frame open by undoing the screws that hold the corners of the frames together and with the rubber gasket cleaned & re-installed around the glass edges then replace frame work to the opening window and the fixed panel may have pullout rubbers to allow re- glazing and reversing the glass .Then reinsert rubber edging whilst the glass sits in the frame.

This may not be possible in all cases as the glass could be broken in the process ,but with most aluminium framed glass ,one should be able to do this with out too much trouble or cost of getting in a glazier etc.

I've done plenty exterior applications to solve privacy issues using a good quality American made heavy duty frosted / opaque film that has a slight give or flexibility in conjunction with a hi- tack stick glue to form within the slight undulations ( or unevenness ) that is normally found on the opposite side of high textured glass and the results have been very successful and long lasting if the right film is chosen and suitable experienced window tinter used .

Using window films has the benefit that fabrics and blinds can be avoided in wet areas where mold problems can exist . It also offers a nice clean and uncluttered look if that what's required . Also the frames could be painted if carful to the prep work required and the correct paints used . Although , I've been informed that if the frames are already been powder coated that certain technical issues may arise and need to be understood before painting is even concidered .

But, if consideration is taken to using a decorative window film, then I would be inclined to change the glass to clear smooth glass and have a deco film applied on the inside that will also offer both improved looks and a much better life expectancy as well as improved privacy .

Another consideration to using new glass is that films can be scraped off at any time with razor blades and some glue removers whilst the glass is flat but going to be a major headache if the glass surface is uneven.!!!

Another issue that a lot of people often over look when ceiling heat lamps and extraction fans are used is the amount of light given off from those three to four down lights . Being so bright with upto a thousand watts of lighting in a confined and generally a brightly painted room , will make your bathroom light up like a light house making it that much easier to see in at night ; and in some cases just as bad during the day; therefore making the use of textured glass less private without the use of blockout or diffused fabric blinds or curtains etc.

To leave the glass as is , then concider a decorative opaque rollup blind that can offer both improved overall privacy for both day and night time use but also allows more light through compared to a blockout blind.

The coloured picture shown are a couple of examples of films that are not glued on but held on by static ( Like cling wrap ( supplied by "peels of London " ) and installed using soapy water which is then squeeged out leaving the film to cling to glass which can ( in therory in the short term ) be pulled off and re- positioned or replied else where if required ( long term application generally results in the plastics deterioration that breaks up in bits if one try's to remove it. ; but again ,flat smooth glass is required .

Another option is to do a paper cut design with suitable water proofed paper / cardboard or Laser cut metal or timber sheets that can simply sit in front of window frame and held in place with fly screen clips . The black an white picture is one of many that I've seen on the Houzz site using metal or wood laser cut screens that could be adapted in some way and painted that I like .

There's one design that I would like to make out very thick card and painted to suit a back window in a laundry door that can simply be held in place with Velcro dot patches .

I hope some of these ideas may be of interest. Gary.

Ps , I've noticed some of the pics upside down but show a plain frosted film that's been hand cut to offer some deco effect allowing some vision from inside out but still offering a good deal of privacy .

Another one showing the new style of zebra ROLLUP blinds I've used for a bathroom in a b& b accomodation .

Can supply these Australia wide c/o my mainland manufacture supplier offering the lowest prices around .

• User
    8 years ago
    We had a similar window in a small ensuite and replaced it with a white-framed (against dark green tiles) louvre window (translucent glass for privacy from balcony outside), no other treatment - it looked like a feature. This was in Queensland so the reduced insulation properties were less of an issue (I wouldn't be doing it down here in the Snowies :) ).
  • sappa68
    8 years ago
    Why don't you remove it and install opaque louvres? I have seen this in many bathrooms and looks great. Has a modern Australian aesthetic and you can have them partly open but angled for privacy while you're having your shower so good for ventilation. There are some architecturally inspiring designs around.
  • K C
    8 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something but this window looks like it is above the bath, not actually in the shower recess so won't be getting directly wet? A timber look white shutter style blind (they're actually plastic so not susceptible to water) would be my choice with window frame painted white.

• K C
    8 years ago

• Geneviève
    8 years ago
    if that window frame is wood it will be damaged in time. You could have the whole window replaced with glass blocks and tile.
  • K C
    8 years ago

Hi Genevieve, if you're talking about the window in the photo I posted, nope it's been there 28 years no water damage. Every bathroom in every house I've owned have had timber window frames. I wouldn't replace an opening window with glass blocks, you need more ventilation in bathrooms not less. It also looks like Carol's window is functional.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Hi aacoffey, I agree with you about the ventilation of the open window , but if there is proper ventilation on the ceiling like and exhaust fan that takes care of steam and odors :) a glass blocks window for me works just fine , the only thing that I don't really like about them is to have a large area covered with glass blocks , and give a free show to passerby when in the shower , that's a no-no in my book :)).

• jollier
    8 years ago

I also have a window like that in our shower - it may, but doesn't normally get wet from the shower. I have put in a thin venetian blind in white (made from plastic) very cheap, under $5. I am in process of making an puffy austrian blind to hang above the window, for a bit of colour I am making it from a shower curtain). It will be there for looks, I may never pull it down. The venetian gives privacy and blocks the light a certain amount.

• ton12h
    8 years ago
    Definitely the water resistant shutters- they can be angled so no one can see in and you can easily open the window for ventilation and they will do a good job of disguising the window plus they look great
  • jimcamaust
    8 years ago

I would also checkout the pic Venetian blind. Can buy off the shelf from spotlight are not expensive and look like a shutter without the cost. The also look ok, as spotlight have a few on display. I also have dark mortal sliding windows in bathroom and used a white timber Venetian but mine is not near the shower so doesn't get damp, but they look nice.

• jimcamaust
    8 years ago

Make that white pvc venetians!