Houzz Logo Print
louthatcher

Renovated 25 year old Pole house

LouieT
8 years ago

Hi Houzz friends, I just wanted to share some photos of our home before and after our renovation last year. We are very proud of the way it has been transformed from rough and rugged to contemporary but still a true expression of us and how we want to live.

My 2014 Reno · More Info

We built it 25 years ago as owner builders with the help of a carpenter using plans drawn up by a draftsman friend.There are 20 hardwood poles sunk into the ground with three levels starting from a concrete slab (entry,rumpus, study, bathroom, bedroom) up 7 stairs to cypress timber in the middle (Kitchen,dining,living,laundry,covered entertaining deck, pool, back yard) up 7 stairs to top floor (3 bedrooms, bathroom, ensuite, parents retreat, front decks) . It is a tri-level design and has been our home to raise four children, all now adults living away bar one still at home. We used existing footprint and replaced back rotten deck with improved living spaces, and the carport became the fourth bedroom on ground level. A new double carport was added to the right hand side.

My 2014 Reno · More Info

The ideas were gathered over 15 years or so, and there were many days spent drawing, dreaming, and convincing my husband and others that moving rooms and plumbing would create spaces with better flow, connection and multipurpose living areas to accommodate the changes to how we live and the changing needs of our family. Priority was also given to aspect, cross flow ventilation, improving natural light, insulation, connection to the outdoors and improving the dated & dark internal spaces to more contemporary & light.

My 2014 Reno · More Info

With consultation from professionals, a lot of searching and saving on Houzz and using basic free software to show the draftsman, the plans were drawn up and a builder contracted to do the structural work, approvals & council compliance/inspections etc. plus the professional trades for exterior painting, floor sanding & sealing, tiling, plumbing, electrical and building work. We painted the interior ourselves to save money. Landscaping is still as always a work in progress though we did engage some help with the front gardens & concreting due to Christmas being our deadline. We are now enjoying the benefits of better flow of spaces, more light and connection with our entertaining and pool areas. We love it!

My 2014 Reno · More Info

There are more photos in my idea book here..

My 2014 Reno

Comments (23)