Shady daze - help revive my front yard
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (84)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Help us furnish the Houzz AU office!
Comments (86)I really like the suggestion Modern feature walls. Combined with some greenery inside and out as suggested by chookchook2 , you can start to soften the 'boxy' look of the space which is now reinforced by the line shape and form of the couch you introduced in the updated image. If it is a breakout or meeting room could I suggest, budget permitting, some form of window treatment. Some simple and relatively cheap e-screens would add a degree of privacy, but more importantly remove potentially annoying distractions from outside; important if you are using the room both for work that requires concentration' .. or alternatively, impromptu meetings with others that may be held in the room. I do like the green, but the photo projects a rather drab uninteresting interior despite your efforts thus far.(imho). I think making a call to Modern feature walls should be on your call list. Something has to be done with that ceiling which I find not only distracting but is actively working against your attempts at creating a really inviting space that people will want to break into. I can a hint of a table off to the right in front of the window. The best breakout spaces I've used have the facility to informally and casually sit across a table with sufficient desk or table space to spread drawings, images and presentation ideas. .. It just doesn't work as well if you and a colleague(s) are forced to sit or stand along one side of a table with the yard providing tempting distractions when the focus should be on communication and collaboration. Mounting the TV and raising it would open the room up further and likely break up the 'box-iness' further. .. A bit beyond my field (Window Treatments) ... but you did ask. lol....See MoreGarden Bed Design Help
Comments (17)After staring at your pics a few times I think I've figured out what's bothering me. The garden bed sticks forward. If you need it for the size of plants in the ground it might work but if you're only going to have pots you can line the edge up with the wall of the house I think? What is the depth of the garden bed? Colour and placement of the pots. The pots look terracotta and the brickwork looks more reddish, is that right? It doesn't look like it goes together. Maybe you can use those pots somewhere else where they aren't right beside the brickwork and get some pots for that location which are either darker and match the trims of the house or are lighter and contrast with the house more. I think the pots need to somehow relate to the windows. If that room could use some privacy or shade you could put two pots in front of the windows. If you want to preserve the view out then you could put three pots against the brickwork. The mulch. It looks too low for the edging. (What is the edging?) The colour, like with the pots, doesn't look like it goes with the rest. I'd go black pebbles or something light in a similar hue to the stone foundation feature. Or maybe scoria?...See MoreLawn or natives for the front yard?
Comments (16)Hi Polly, I live in SE Qld, so completely different climate from you. Where I live, Lomandra are incredibly hardy and will grow in shade or sun. Westringia are also hardy, They will take part-shade and adapt very well to being clipped to size. I'm also happy with my dianella. They are really great for getting green 'lushness' in shade. I grow quite a few grevilleas. The hybrid ones flower all year round and give great colour to the garden - and the birds love them. I also grow leptospermum, melaleucas and callistemons in areas where my drainage isn't good enough for grevilleas. I also like Chrysocephalum apiculatum as a ground cover. According to the experts it grows in Melbourne. Where I live it's very long-flowering and spills onto paths nicely. I'm growing a few lilliepillies in shady areas, but we had lots in our last garden so I wanted a change. We have no lawn at all in our garden. No kids or dogs so don't need it. There are so many wonderful natives. Our local Bunnings actually stocks quite a few, or you can find a specialist native nursery that will have an even bigger selection. They can give you advice on what will grow well in your situation....See MoreDesign feedback and help with wall dimensions pretty please
Comments (33)keep in mind that my plan has single external walls and all the inside and outside walls are 10cm thick to make drawing easier and the depth of the verandahs includes the eaves, adding a brick veneer would use more space and given the choice it would be lovely to plan for a covered walkway and raked ceilings in the living areas and this is a very basic gable roof but there are lots of more exciting/expensive roof options to consider...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago









telperien