Houzz Logo Print
pallavi_dhar

Lawn or natives for the front yard?

Polly D
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,
Please help me choose between natives and lawn for my front yard.
Background :-
1) Planted murraya hedge on both sides and applying red mulch ( not my favorite but partner believes it matches the red brick and improves curb appeal )2) Had some big pebbles already so created a succulent rockery there. 3) Already have a walter buffalo lawn in the backyard with some native lilly pilly and some roses 4) I wanted to remove the native tree in the center of the front yard and plant something like a crepe myrtle/ maple /cherry/crab apple for the lovely color, but a gardener advised not to remove this tree. So I am trying to add color by creating a daisy flower bed in the tree ring 5) Will have a merbau wood edging around the front. 6) Have some mixed lawn seeds that I can sow . Will be a cheaper alternative to instant turfs 7) Plan to have some concrete pavers and make two paths leading to two home entrances, one in the lawn ( if we go with that ) and one next to the murraya hedge with pebbles. 8) My neighbors have a lot of agave, yucca , natives and lime green succulents that grows really tall
Questions :-
1) Should I go all native and no lawn around the tree and behind it, close to the window ? 2) If natives, which ones should I pick and in what number so I dont make it look messy , but uniform and blending in ?3) I can have both lawn and natives. In that case, I ll have to pick natives for the spot outside the window, behind the tree, as that is hard to dig and does not get a lot of sun. Should I put just two shrubs,or pots with ficus or flowers and just add some more pebbles over the Tuscan and not grow anything at all ? 4) I am also tempted to add a climber like a white or yellow rose , but I dont want to add too many colors. Should I just stick to 3-4 colors ?5) Would a nandina border look nice before the tree next to the concrete pathway?
My favorite plants that I have not been able to use so far :-
1) Viburnum tinus 2) Weterengia purple and white 3) Yellow or white climbing roses 4) Acacia cognata 5) Ficus 6) Bouganvillea7) Dianella grasses8) Birds of paradise ( orange flowers )9) Lime green succulents ( aeonium possibly )10) Hardenbergia11) Nandinas

Appreciate all inputs
Thanks.

Comments (16)