Houzz Logo Print
zenimsaj

HELP! Landscapers Won't Even Help

jz
8 years ago

We've been trying to redesign our backyard for years now. I've called 5 different landscape companies - three never returned my call and two came out and said it was pretty hopeless. We have one large oak tree on our property and 7 neighboring trees that provide almost full-time shade. We planted Zoysia empire grass 3 years ago on the left and right side of the yard, but not much is left.

One of the biggest problems is our 6 yr old lab who kicks up and slides through the grass, dirt, and gravel when playing ball/chasing squirrels. Second biggest problem is drainage. The backyard FLOODS immediately and it rains a lot here in West Central Florida. I've tried regrading, but you can barely stick a shovel (or stick for that matter) in anywhere because of all the feeder roots from the tree. And all the rain has washed away a lot of soil. Third biggest problem is shade. I've tried perennial peanut and only a couple survived but never spread. Same thing with Asian Jasmine.

We want to put a gravel patio area with fire pit along the back fence, but I can't figure out how to connect the pavers around the tree to the shed and to the new gravel area, if that makes sense. I also don't know what do use as a path that the dog won't kick up (she kicked gravel up all over the grass).

Yard in it's glory day (May 2012)

Yard as a hot mess (Now)

Comments (22)

Sponsored