Needing help choosing a dog friendly couch, leather, vinyl or fabric?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Not sure what colour cushions will suit my brown leather lounge
Comments (92)Hi Blufitch, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The four coffee tables are lovely, but I would probably opt for one of the two top ones. That being said, check the measurements first as these round tables might be significantly larger than your existing Ikea table. Re the potted plant, a taller one would be better, or you can put this one on a plant stand or even on a ceramic stool. But if you feel a mirror would be too much due to your mirrored splashback, leave the plant as it is and hang a framed print above the plant. It doesn't need to be big, but it's important that it s not too small so it doesn't look too "lost" on the wall. It's hard for me to judge the size from here, but a 70x40 frame might be ok. You could have only the yellow canvas above the couch, but you would have to bring in a few more brightly-coloured cushions or throw onto the couch, to compensate for the empty wall. Alternatively, you could also hang a large mirror above the couch. If you decide to do this, I think it would be best to move the canvas back to where it was, and hang the mirror in front of the window, so it reflects the natural light around and gives more depth to the room. The large Ikea Stave mirror (in white stained oak) is very reasonably priced and would work great. Just double check it fits first (it's 70x160)! Tell us how yo go! All the best, Nelly / Twinkle and Whistle...See MoreAnother lounge or occasional chairs?
Comments (6)Hi Hilda - I've looked at your photos very carefully and I understand that you need very hardy furnishings to withstand the fun and mess of dogs and children! A couple of suggestions I can think of that would help - How about moving the lounge you have along to the middle of the wall and bring it out from the wall so that a bookcase or shelving for toys, books and magazines can be put there? Also the coffee table is really big for the space, maybe a smaller round table that is child friendly (no nasty sharp corners). If your budget is big, a new leather corner lounge in beige leather would look fantastic ! I have dogs and kids and I have a WHITE leather lounge that really stands up to them! The area needs a rug. Don't forget that animal hides are HUGE at the moment and you might like them as you live in a farmhouse. As for extra seating, I think a couple of chairs either side of the centered lounge would be excellent. Think TV chairs that are very comfortable. Milan Direct is also a great source of furniture at reasonable prices and you can order online and have it delivered no matter where you live in Australia. Artwork is very personal but you need a big piece above the lounge and it would even up the TV on the opposite wall. I think green/beige or blue/beige/black geometric might be the color to introduce in cushions, artwork and rug - but you'll have to experiment - remember to look at the colors with the curtains open and closed as light plays a big part in how the colors will look in the room before you commit to buy - You are going to have so much fun making your room over! Good luck - Di Thomas...See MoreBare space unusable???
Comments (25)I envy your wall space, I wish we had more! What has worked really well for us is using empty walls as our "brag" board. Do you have particular interests you love talking about? Putting something up about your family, a favourite subject, pet or holiday could be a great talking point. Our visitors get drawn to our fishing photos, where we caught the fish (Botswana/Amazon) and the type (Tiger fish/Peacock Bass). Although the photo print (size A0) could be printed really cheaply (~$50) at somewhere like Officeworks, I discovered that the frames (~$440 each) were the biggest expense. However, as we know we only needed to print a new A0 sized photo in the future, spending money on good, customised frames is worthwhile. We have also now tried printing our favourite shots on stretched canvas (~$100). The product gets delivered, usually in a week, ready for hanging much quicker than ordering a custom made frame ;) Smaller canvases range from twenty dollars to about a hundred. I found this company very reliable in terms of quality of print and speed of service: http://canvasfactory.refr.cc/HDLHZPH We have displaced our canvas photos from the wall and occasionally display them underneath the kitchen bench as you can see here (desperately covering up white space)!...See MoreCouch cushions colour scheme
Comments (13)You've got some great pieces that add interest and personality, I LOVE those teal glazed lamps and your little woodblock-looking prints above the lounge are gorgeous... and I even love your lounge! (I'm sure you've tried this, but would a bit of if and a leather restorer help a little? But a bit of wear shows it's a real home not a display home! ; D). I'd build on what you have.. Remove the lime & navy cushions, the pastel & dark clashes a bit too much. I'd find one that's a true turquoise similar to your lamps plus another that's navy (but not furry) I love this https://www.target.com.au/p/beach-luxe-velvet-cushion-45cm/59751557(I have it in a light turquoise from last summer as in the photo below and it's really nice quality velvet (I hate cheap feeling squeaky velvet!), backed with a natural linen-style fabric. I LOVE this image for inspiration for your place but of course it's your style so you need to do what reflects you! The subtle tones would tie in with your existing pieces and colour scheme, the neutral classic style lounge, the Noguchi coffee table, amazing turquoise lamps, soft brass elements, your lovely paper prints, and then add some velvet cushions in complementary tones. Then add an accent cushion. There's lots of options obviously that could work well and can set the direction (I hate to say theme (!)) for any other elements you want to add. Here's some examples: 1) You could go a pared back, very contemporary cool look like the photo above, playing with texture and subtle tones then simply add an interesting tone to your basic mix above - the ochre velvet cushion is amazing. 2) You could go a bit luxurious, continuing the navy with a bit of gold patterning that would also tie in with your coffee table vase and a bit of lift. I'm sure I've seen some Art Deco style simple linear patterns printed on a navy cotton or linen. OR a bit of a Art deco or Palm Springs vibe with a gorgeous Florence Broadhurst print OR finally a curve ball (!!) this parrot cushion could look interesting and would take your turquoise lamps and rattan side tables in another more traditional plantation direction (look up India Hicks home n the Bahamas or somewhere ridiculously amazing like that for insp.!), very different to the other 2 looks, it's up to what you like of course!! Then I would take your little woodblock prints and re-frame them in larger rectangular frames (so more of the mat) and arrange them in a line over the lounge so they take up more of that big wall space above the lounge. They're lovely so need to be made into more of a feature at the moment they're too lost and randomly placed on the walls to be appreciated, and tie in beautifully with your other pieces (and even the cushion directions mentioned above). Or you could even leave in their current frames and incorporate them into a gallery wall like the contemporary cool photo and mix with some black & white personal photos, a tonal abstract print/drawing or anything else you love. I also think a new rug would make a huge difference, though I know it's not a cheap update. But a larger rug that fits under the front of your lounge and armchairs would make it even more cohesive. A large sisal rug would be subtle and would work beautifully with all 3 of the styles I've mentioned: the more classic velvet feel (even though it may feel too rustic in isolation, they can look quite traditional and work well) or even if you liked the curveball plantation style would be ideal! Ikea have them in a variety of sizes and textures and they're easy to maintain and are relatively wallet-friendly - the Osted style is a great one. You'll have it for years and it's so versatile as your style /house/tastes change - coastal, Hamptons, Scandi, classic, even kid friendly should you need that! If you're feeling really crafty, you could metallic gold spray paint your planter (the copper is jarring a little with me but gold would tie in better. Trust me, it comes up really well! If you got really adventurous you could even do your for lamp by the dining table would come up well. Even the dining chair legs (but that is a bit of a risk as they're functional, and risk getting scraped!) and could look weird. Finally, I'd remove a couple of things clutter wise: the nest tables between the recliners (though one may look better if the rug extends that far), the plant stand by the windows (a few plants clustered in the corner could be lovely though). Then for the dining area, I'd replace the table vase with a cluster of stoneware small vases in a matte ceramic glaze carrying through your colours of soft turquoise, grey, navy etc or even a white marble. I love these from Ikea, the ceramic and shape ties in with your lamps too and would work with either the Contemporary Cool or the luxe styles. not so much for the Plantation style, but there's lots of options that would suit that. Then finally for the dining table, a lower pendant light would look amazing over that great round dining table and would really define the space and add a bit of drama! Again, there's so many options depending on what style you want to go with... A good (and not too expensive) option could be the Ikea Sinnerlig as it would add a bit of wood softness to your dark chairs and white slick table. It would fit in with the Contemporary Cool, the plantation, or in the new Ikea catalogue they've even painted it gold to fit in a dark luxe setting which would go beautifully with that Florence Broadhurst rattan pattern. Then finally the poor plant on the bench I'd move elsewhere and put a little bowl of succulents. I got a lovely one at Ikea, Lagerbarr, and also a little pot of mixed succulents from there (though now needs some TLC!), I move it around the house all the time, here it is on my hall table (Kmart special! ; D) at the moment: Have fun and please send us After photos!!...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago

Sponsored
More Discussions







John Henson