Houzz Logo Print
jodie_narik

What floor type??

Jodes
7 years ago
We're building our 'forever' home, open plan living.

I'd like to know what's the warmest under foot, floorboards, vinyl planks, laminate etc. We want the same flooring through the kitchen, dining, living, passage as its one big open room.

My husband is fairly set on spotted gum but I wanted to know what others thought of the newer alternatives. What will be the warmest and withstand general life with 3 young children?

Comments (33)

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    7 years ago

Hey Jodes, I'm sure some other Houzzers and pros on here will have great insight but in the meantime, have a read through the flooring section in Stories on Houzz: http://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/flooring

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    A lighter colour shows fewer scratches. Burnished oil may be more practical. Also consider natural bamboo. We had spotted gum in our last house. Spectacular floor but showed up the dust and scratches.
  • Related Discussions

Help with type of flooring and colour

Q

Comments (16)
    Eric, is it the red colour you don't particularly like? Which timbers do you like most? Have you seen spotted gum? I mention it because the colour tones in spotted gum vary and it might possibly be worth consideration. I realise many consider having the same timber flooring throughout the house as ideal; however, as your bedrooms have doors, I believe it would be perfectly acceptable to have a different timber flooring in them (be consistent here though). If this were my Dilemna, I would match the timber width to the width of your red gum flooring, and use a top-notch installer, someone with whom you can discuss the best way to lay the planks given your other flooring.
    ...See More

Flooring that matches Cedar

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Camille, maybe looking at blackbutt or spotted gum engineered timber. These classic options maybe well suited to the surroundings.
    ...See More

Type of timber floor

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree, it looks like Blackbutt tongue and groove timber, like I had in a house I once owned. Blackbutt is one of the hardest wearing timbers. The photo shows how it looked when the house was on the market for sale. It had not been re-sanded or re-polished since it was built 16 years prior. It still looked as good as new. The timber looks lighter than in your photo as all the lights were on when my photo was taken. If your house was built earlier, it could be one of the gum species, eg spotted gum.
    ...See More

Can anyone tell me what type of floor this is?

Q

Comments (2)
    There’s no nail holes so it’s a floating floor of some type. Impossible to tell if it’s engineered wood or bamboo or vinyl. Take the picture to your local flooring shop and they’ll be able to show you something similar.
    ...See More
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    In my experience real timber floors are the warmest and kindest underfoot.

Ours have coped with kids, pets and indifferent house keeping. But I don't mind a bit of character and they weren't high gloss.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Get sustainable timber, linoleum, or cork.

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    Having always had both cork n floorboards cork is definitely warmest and better for foot health n comfort
  • al_steve_fabiny
    7 years ago
    Just put in spotted gum....stunning. Easy to care for as well
  • PRO
    Plantation Bamboo
    7 years ago

Have you considered bamboo flooring at all? A natural, eco-friendly timber alternative, that looks stunning and is very durable - and great value for money too!

• Jodes
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I don't mind the look of that but the feel underfoot is really important.

We don't like the feel of a floating floor. What is the bamboo? Planks, etc?
  • PRO
    Plantation Bamboo
    7 years ago

You can have either floating or glue-down bamboo flooring. Floating is most popular (quicker/easier = cheaper). With 14mm solid bamboo you hardly notice any flex like you can from thinner laminates etc. Lots more info here: www.plantationbamboo.co.nz

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    I recall bamboo is not suited to dry environments
  • PRO
    Plantation Bamboo
    7 years ago

Bamboo flooring has improved in quality significantly over recent years - but like most products can vary in quality, depending on how it is manufactured. We have customers all over NZ and the moisture content of the product is suited to NZ conditions. It's suitable for all rooms really, apart from bathrooms (where moisture can be hard for people to control).

• jaydub0
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Plus one for bamboo. I have strandwoven bamboo throughout the entire house (excluding the bathroom) and in its ninth year it still looks great. There are a few scratch marks (tradesman with a steel footed ladder... and a sofa foot scrape) but nothing that's too obvious or annoying. We glued directly to the concrete slab and it feels great underfoot. It's quiet and 'soft'. Get good quality bamboo from a reputable source and you can't go wrong. Oh, and I have a dog and a bloke, which is probably on par with having three young children.

I do have one patch that is damaged in the kitchen, but it's not an issue and I'm adding it as a late edit. A friend had a major sink overflow and forgot to mention it to me until much much later. The surface is now slighltly "lifted", but not cracked. I'm sure had I known when it happened I could have worked at drying it more thoroughly and it wouldn't have been an issue. It's not an obvious spot, so I'm not fussed about it.

• John Henson
    7 years ago
    Spotted gum with livos oil. Best for kids and pets. Never have to sand your floor again and non toxic.
  • glendama
    7 years ago

I love cork! Warm, quiet and soft underfoot, great 'bounce back' for furniture 'indents'. Hardwearing, quite classical and a nice backdrop for everything else. Timber can be very noisy and echoey, especially with lots of little feet about :)

• annemarie finch
    7 years ago

The feel of solid timber is much nicer than laminated floor. An important feature of wood floor is that it can be sanded again and again. Checking the "Janka harshness test" of spotted gum for harshness and scratch will help.

• PRO
    Cordony Group
    7 years ago

Timber or hardwood floors age beautifully over time when maintained. Our recent styling projects demonstrate how popular they are for living rooms, hallways, kitchens and open plan living spaces.

We'd love to see pictures of your forever home when the project is complete! Keep us posted.

Bedford Street, Willoughby · More Info
    Crana Avenue East Lindfield · More Info
    High Street, Willoughby · More Info
    Macquarie Street, Roseville · More Info
    Muttama Road, Artarmon · More Info

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Agree with Tribbletrouble 4512k7 trek CORK if you intend using the same flooring throughout. Its easy, comfy and silent to walk on, easy to keep clean and even good with underfloor hydrolic heating...and it is lovely to look at.

• PRO
    PETE COLLINGS architect
    7 years ago

Spotted Gum is a great option. Bamboo is great too but is typically more expensive and it is also imported.

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Many people advocate spotted gum...I've never seen a floor done in it. Would anyone have a PIC please? @ PC architecture I assume that bamboo...the latest trendy thing for anything from floors to bed sheets, would be more expensive because imported. Am curious to know what are its attributes as flooring...as superior to some of the Australian timbers? My 1924 Queenslander has Hoop Pine floors throughout all milled locally and seasoned for 30 years before use.....not a single floorboard has a join midway across the expanse...its such a pleasure to care for. On the other hand, what a pity to have lost those magnificent ancient trees, makes me appreciate the floors even more. They were all covered in newspapers for underlay beneath the lino made in England backed with a tar-like layer. Each board was all beautiful and light, straight and well preserved. Had not the heart to put polyurethane over them...so they get a good oiling with quality wood preserver oil when needed.

I just wish I could recommend this timber to everyone building their forever homes..sadly...its all gone. But good hunting to all Houzzers starting from the floor up!

My Dad was a strong advocate for CORK and it was he who told me to use it if ever I got to building my home....his floors in Melbourne were absolutely impeccable.

• PRO
    PETE COLLINGS architect
    7 years ago

Bamboo is slightly more expensive both fiscally and environmentally. Cork is great on your legs/spine too. Look at http://www.livos.com.au/ for floor coatings.

• John Henson
    7 years ago
    We have had cork and it was great for all the reasons mentioned especially for your back. It is by far the best energy transfer. I still prefer the look of spotted gum though.
    The idea that you can keep sanding a solid wood floor is an illusion. Not only would you not want to if you didn't have to but even on 19mm solid, you only have about 5mm of sandable wood. I've have seen bad tradesmen hit the tongue with the drum sander.
  • Jodes
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all your comments!

We went to a flooring place today, there was nothing labelled cork. Is it know. By another name?
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    CORK google cork e g premium cork or others
  • User
    7 years ago
    Cork.... The material they used to seal wine bottles with..... ;)
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Where do you live?
  • PRO
    PETE COLLINGS architect
    7 years ago

try this: https://www.comcork.com.au/

I've specified them before in a café: great product. Has also been installed in some areas at the Dockland Stadium in Melbourne.

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Sorry about the suggestion of CORK for your floors....I should have specified..Cork TILES. If the younger salesmen do no know about it approach an older person...cork has been used for flooring since the 50s and 60s. I am about to go to the link above kindly provided by PC Architcture...they seem to be "with it".

Today's product might be much more improved though my Dad's floors still look like new. Its good that cork seems to be having a revival.

WOW! I did not expect that cork would have such a revival...well worth consideration. Thanks PC Architecture!

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

As an afterthought...I Googled "Natural Cork Flooring" since what I had in mind was a product that actually looked like cork. There are many companies that still offer this product. Sorry I do not know how to put up a link but just Google Cork Flooring and you'll find heaps of lovely surfaces in natural-looking cork.

• diyoni_hoole0
    7 years ago
    We have spotted gum and absolutely love it. Nice to walk bare footed on and has an overall calming effect to look at. It requires very little maintenance. With two small kids, it is spotted gum is very forgiving in that it is hard to dent or scratch from toys dropping on the floor.
  • PRO
    Budget Floor Sanding Brisbane
    7 years ago

Spotted Gum is a great hard wearing timber with a Janka rating of 11. This means it is high density timber and won't dent as easily as softer timbers like American Oak. A polyurethane finish is the hardest and most durable timber floor coating and it comes in gloss satin and mat. The lower sheen's are more forgiving if you you have pets and young children. Bamboo is another hard product but only comes in short lengths so you would need to take that look into consideration when selecting. Some clients don't like the look of the short boards and consider it a cheap look. Others prefer the longer floor boards of timber. If you do choose bamboo make sure that you find out the coating used and whether it can be sanded and re coated down the track, as all timber and bamboo floors will need a touch up especially if you have pets. Some bamboo floors can not be sanded due the coating used. Hope this helps. Our website may offer some inspiration. Good Luck

http://budgetfloorsanding.com.au/

• PRO
    RenovatorStore.com.au
    7 years ago

European Oak Floorboards · More Info
    European engineered oak floorboards are favourite with architects as they can be made much wider than solid floorboards (due to their engineered base). They are also pre-finished so can lay in a day and ready to walk on with no sanding

• PRO
    Bloom Collections
    7 years ago
    In our main home we love our timber floors. In saying that, the newer bamboo floors are amazing quality, durability and are highly cost effective to lay and purchase.

If you want something that is going to past we would suggest you avoid laminate, they have come a long way way but still, a small tear and you are stuck replacing a large section or suffering an odd patch.