Houzz Logo Print
summertime99

feedback on kitchen design

Serendipity M
6 years ago
here is our latest kitchen design. (I know the cabinets adjacent to the range/oven are not usable but for those appliance dimensions, we can't come up with anything better.) the designer hasn't yet put this into 2020 so it's just a sketch for now. will this be a nice and functional kitchen?

Comments (45)

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    any feedback would be much much appreciated. we need to finalize the design within the next couple days.
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The range is out of scale to your space. And crammed into a corner like that, it might as well be a two burner module. Only one person can use it.

This is a very bad design. On multiple fronts. Please do not say that your cabinet seller originated this. It looks more like an appliance sales person designed it. Someone who gets a commission on appliances and doesn’t cook.

• Related Discussions

Changing the face of Interior Design - we need your feedback!

Q

Comments (14)
    A great concept, I've often considered doing so myself. Whats great about your bodo boards, and the schemes put together on this poll, is that they are quite adaptive with a neutral foundation. They can be easilyapplied to everyone. I love an emphasis on tone and texture, and in place of colour, visual interest is really added by accents, architecture and artwork. The australian bush scheme is very textural, although I think the palette could explore some of the more chromatic tones in our bush, some organic notes of green and taupes, but perhaps with vibrant yellows or deep indigos for example introduced. as for the romantic industrial, lovely, but it is only so because of the rose pink. A feminine take on industrial would to me be softened with humanised accents. Please explain, industry is mechanical, and romance or femininity is softness, so perhaps signage featuring lettering, or bespoke handicrafts which show the connection between industry, and loved spaces created out of collecting. Almost a way of feathering our nest. waterfont is cool, calm and yes collected. Literally. I love coastal schemes, but they can become a little predictable when they are literal interpretations of sea and sand. Coastal can easily be adapted to a relaxed style and I feel many colours can be applied to demonstrate this costal palette. . The key is in muting the scheme and enhancing the textures from nature. Tha grand! Oh the grand. I love it. Who doesn't really. Its very now, but the drama and edge is lost in applying same old collaborations. The geometric tile, chevron, hexagonal or penny rounds are gorgeous, and befitting the current style, but more so appropriate in specific architectural styles, not everyone an have a warehouse or loft, or grand 1920s residence, although we all try to use these same materials and formats. Precious metals and stones are the height of popularity and luxury, brass, marble and glass, are all in favour, actually have never been out of it. What I want is to see the used in a contemporary fashion. It is my pick, because it actually does respond to my own homes architecture, so I'm always on a hunt and gather of images and ideas to develop this gorgeous and luxe style. Whats next? Usually in an effort to be new and different, we move away from what's in front of us, but ever so gradually. I think the appreciation for industry, form and function, man made objects, formats, collaborations will be in favour for some time, so to in an effort to be different, organic will evolve. Colour notes, timbers, sustainability and natural form will emerge. Not to say literall greens or Browns, but more so, soft geometry, tactile materials and surfaces, perhaps a focus on light and shade over shimmer and style. bespoke practices, so things if stone and wood, and one off designs, as in using products that can't be replicated in process, like bricks, every ones different, veneers, grained materials, and unpretentious designs. Hand scribed lines, patterns or prints, I think will favour. Thestyle of now is definitely one we aspire to, as in luxe and indulgent, the monochromatic scheme which is actually ACHROMATIC people is overdone, but will never be out of favour. It is classic. When done right, it is the epitome of style, only the definition of that is what changes! love what you do....I can't articulate the value of conceptualising your style in finishes and fittings, design is often felt not learnt, and we respond to our environments, so it makes sense that seeing your style emerge from a collective consciousness in the form of a board, will literally transform your ideas in reality. As a designer myself, I'm constantly creating them. My own home is a work in progress, which I've created many concepts for. I'm very interested in seeing your perspective on it though, and I'd be very grateful for a bodo board from your design perspective. ml
    ...See More

Advice re kitchen design (bulkhead or not)

Q

Comments (4)
    a real shaker would not have added anything that was not useful so tall storage might be useful but, remembering the space is only 30 cm deep, do you need to store that much shallow storage (maybe suitcases stored sideways?) we have high ceilings and the space above the kitchen cabinets has wall to wall 60cm tall windows which provides gorgeous light in the room (the other walls have no bulkhead because we felt it made the room feel over crowded...we do have a bedroom where we installed a dropped ceiling with bulkhead to overcome a height "problem" over wardrobes and are very pleased with the effect
    ...See More

Any feedback on Positive Footprints and their design Salute to the Sun

Q

Comments (13)
    The kitchen dining area seems to do double as a circulation space. From beds 2,3 to bathroom via dining area for example. Not optimal. Similarly via dining area to living in colder months. May be ok as it is hard to judge the sizes from the pic. 5000 water tanks are quite large, not sure where it is on the plan. As you have a lot of space you could have a larger one. Pumps are noisy even when covered so avoid outside bedroom windows. Space for the wheelie bins, some councils give you three! Clothes drying space. Avoid CFL lights mercury in production and landfill.
    ...See More

Looking for feedback on kitchen layout

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks oklouise, your advice is helpful as always! Great idea witg the microwave, cheers. We initially planned to have the microwave stacked, however with a double oven it would place to microwave too high. I'm not too keen on the kids lifting hot things out above head height. What is your thinking with moving the position of the study nook?
    ...See More
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! We will consider a smaller range with a single oven instead of a double oven, and putting the second oven in the island.. i guess across from the fridge, but that's a bit awkward-- though maybe less awkard than the oven right across from the door.

What are the other design elements that are bad?

• jmm1837
    6 years ago
    I'm no kitchen guru so my opinion isnt worth much, but I do wonder why you've got two separate seating areas in a kitchen adjacent to a dining room. It doesnt seem like an efficient use of space. And I have to say, that island looks a bit elephantine in that space - Id probably go for something less bulky, and shifted to face into the living room. Then, you might be able to spread the working zone out of that corner that its in. It would give more options for fridge placement, too.
  • dan1888
    6 years ago

This is a very preliminary type of design and needs all the help available in the Kitchen Forum where you will get good responses. Post a new better drawing with actual dimensions. That frig is not correct for depth. Keep in mind that counters stick out 1-1/2" past the cabinets. And how about lighting? You'll need ambient and task. Cans and undercabinet both led is a usable start.

• jck910
    6 years ago

Most of the cabinetry is in the "nook" area too far away from where it is functional

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks for the specific feedback. we actually had the island the other direction but got feedback on here to change to this orientation, and we prefer it so there is more space for seating. we like the stools for our extended family to gather around the kitchen when they visit but like the table for our practical needs of daily meals.

I know the cabinets are mostly far from the work area but we don't like the appliances spread out to the breakfast nook as they would be too far from the action so we don't really have the option of different placement of appliances as far as I can tell. we used to have the range on the island and double oven on the side next to the fridge but a huge hood in the middle isn't a good choice as we don't want to spend money on a centerpiece beautiful hood.

I'm really torn about whether to use a big range with double ovens directly under it or a 36" range with a single oven, because I'm afraid an extra oven in the island on the work area side will be in the way. we need two ovens for resale value. any other opinions on small versus large range?
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

You need to not rush and post your layout in the Kitchen Forum. They have folks there who can help you with layout.

• friedajune
    6 years ago

any other opinions on small versus large range?

A 48" range will need a hood that is 48-54" wide. Are you prepared to forego the upper cabinetry space for that hood? That size hood means it will need 10" diameter ductwork from the hood to the outside, if you don't already have it. That also means 1000 cfms or more, which then means you will need make-up air ("MUA"). The cost of the hood itself, possible upgraded ductwork, and the MUA will add a minimum of $4000 over the cost of the 48" range, and likely more (people have reported spending $8-10k on exhaust for 48-60" ranges). Have you budgeted for that? A 36" range or rangetop will have more manageable exhaust requirements, though you will still need to include the hood and ductwork in your budget.

Don't put the cooking appliance in the island. A slippery slope for island exhaust, seating at the island, and usable island counter space.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks all. I did post this to the kitchen forum, it's in there now.

all good points about the range size.

about the island, Friedajane, do you see any problem with putting an oven in the island, maybe across from the door to the dinning room?

sanity has reigned. here is an updated sketch with a 36" range.
  • sofikbr
    6 years ago

I would try to do rectangular island. Please don't do bar level for chairs. It is terrible to use and make all kitchen hidden behind it. You have large area for breakfast table, don't need to build in benches. I also don't like idea of continued lower cabinets under window. I think it better to do furniture like narrow design of cabinets on that wall before windows and have the rest of space for nice table with chairs that would be centered in the area, not just stuck on other wall.

• M
    6 years ago

The 36" range still looks big, leaving very little space on the sides. But this looks much better than before. The placement of the CSO is great.

Why do you put the trash into the island. I'd leave it in the more traditional location under or next to the sink.

That might just be enough space to put a freezer drawer into the island. And that would allow for a narrower all-fridge column, which in turn results in more space next to the stove.

It's also more expensive, though.

Serendipity M thanked M
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    what is a CSO?

the trash is too wide to put next to the sink. I need a double yeah because we have recycling too.
  • M
    6 years ago

A CSO is a combination steam oven. Isn't that what I see in your drawing?

Can you place the trash under the sink? We're currently in temporary housing during construction, and even this very basic kitchen easily fits under-sink trashcans.

If the cabinets were just a bit deeper, we could have installed the trashcans back-to-back in a tandem configuration.

And if this kitchen had a shallower custom-made sink, we could have gotten taller non-standard trash cans. There are so many options to solve this problem.

Also, if this was designed from scratch, we wouldn't have swinging doors, but rather a pull out.

Serendipity M thanked M
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

Can you move windows as part of this project?

How do you plan to use the counter in the nook area?

Do you need counter seating and banquette seating or can you eliminate one of these? If so, which would you rather have? Seating for how many?

Serendipity M thanked lisa_a
  • PRO
    Roberts Construction Services, LLC
    6 years ago

A lot of times kitchen designs are very dependant on the footprint of the area you have to work with and what you need to make it function for your family. This looks to me like you are doing just that. I definitely like the smaller range, that’s a good decision. The only two recommendations I have is to turn the island in line with the sink base cabinets and make it rectangular. Keep walking space around the island in mind, it looks like you already are. Secondly, I’d remove the steam oven and limit the island to a microwave cubby, double trash pull out, and drawer stacks. Good luck and happy renovating!

Serendipity M thanked Roberts Construction Services, LLC
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much all! Some specific responses:

We can't do a rectangular island because then it would be way too far away from the sink. To get it closer, we have that cutout in order to leave walking space.

We are doing bar level for chairs because I really want the island to be a prep space for my bulk cooking-- i don't want to split the level. Plus we aren't going to eat there regularly, it's just a gathering spot for when extended family/friends come over.

Glad to hear a couple people are preferring the 36" range. Can't make it any smaller than that though!

I don't like the trash under the sink because when I'm doing dishes at the sink and stuff, it seems people are constantly trying to access the trash when it is underneath.

Yes it's a combination steam oven.

I'm not sure how I plan to use the counter in the nook area. It seems like a nice buffet space.

Yes we can move windows if there will be a big benefit (but we'd rather not!)

We definitely need seating in the nook so I can't give that up. We originally only had a couple stools for the island on the far end, but my brother-in-law recommends the seating all along the side too, so we can all gather more easily around the kitchen when everyone is over.

"turn the island in line with the sink base cabinets and make it rectangular. " I didn't understnad that, what do you mean to turn the island in line with the sink base cabinets? To change the orientation of the island to vertical instead of horizontal? There isn't enough room for the table for that.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

Since you can move windows, would this work for you?

I moved the fridge to the other side of the DR entry, which gains you room around the range. I put a 48" range in but you could also go with a 36" range (see the numbers in red).

The pantry storage is split up into the 12" deep cabinet on the lower wall and 2 15" pantries on each side of the banquette bench.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

I added a prep sink to the island to give you a good work zone. That means that someone can be at the clean-up sink while you're meal prepping and vice versa. Maybe the extra sink means that you can put the trash under the sink, freeing up a cabinet for storage.

It's still a bit lean on storage, though.

I have another idea but I won't have time to draw it up until tomorrow.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's pretty interesting, Lisa, thanks for sharing your creative ideas. But is that fridge too far from the heart of the kitchen? And what is that nested box on the island representing? (Ah, it's the extra prep sink. But isn't that too close to the other sink/don't we need more landing space across from the fridge?

• M
    6 years ago

If you want to make sure that the prep sink gets maximum usage, take a look at this posting: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/am-i-crazy-to-want-a-24-sink-dsvw-vd~4647411

Not a cheap solution. But it'll get you an incredibly useful and usable prep sink. I was originally doubtful that a small sink can be anything but a gimmick. But I really like the organization of this compact ledge-style sink. Dino Rachiele does some amazing things with his sink designs.

• PRO
    Arica L Munn LLC
    6 years ago
    As long as you have the triangle with the fridge, stove top, and sink within reasonable distance from one another, the design will be functional.
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    my extended family all have the feedback that an extra sink in the island is not worth the expense. but none of us have ever had two sinks in a kitchen. I guess it might be worth it for resale value but I don't want to spend too much for the vague possibility of resale value. so currently I'm thinking of having just countertop in the island.
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

"my extended family all have the feedback that an extra sink in the island is not worth the expense."

The key to whether it's worth the expense is whether it improves function and is placed well. As Arica L Munn LLC stated, adding a prep sink to the island creates a good work triangle between fridge, range and sink.

Without it, yes, the fridge is a bit far away from the sole sink. But it's also not well placed in your plan since it minimizes counter space around the range and it would require backtracking since it doesn't follow the ice-water-stone-fire (fridge-sink-counter-range) path for meal prep. Ideally, your range should not be between the fridge and the sink.

• M
    6 years ago

Listen to this advice!

Our temporary kitchen was clearly put in place by the previous owner so that he could rent out the in-law unit. It wasn't actually designed with usability in mind. In fact, I am sure the owner never even heard of the concept of a "work triangle".

It's a major pain every day. It's certainly possible to use this kitchen. But there is so much running back and forth, it really slows things down; and it's annoying if more than one person is in the kitchen.

Enabling a good workflow is a really big deal. And I am not convinced the current kitchen drawings that have been proposed are quite there yet. I am not normally a big fan of having two sinks, and neither am I a fan of having a sink in an island. But for this particular layout, the prep sink in the island is the best solution I have seen in this thread to date. It will certainly make for a much better workflow, as you can now always stay on the side of the stove.

That's in fact why I was throwing out the option of splurging and getting a better-designed and more functional workstation-style prep sink.

• User
    6 years ago

Is it possible to move the refrigerator to where the pantry is or would that be too far away? It would give your stove and hood area a sense of space.

• DIY2Much2Do
    6 years ago

"my extended family all have the feedback that an extra sink in the island is not worth the expense."

Having watched too many HGTV shows, I find it interesting that almost everyone insists on two sinks in the master bathroom, yet many consider two sinks as an extravagance in the kitchen. For me, it would be worth it to segregate the food prep and clean-up functions if I had the space.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    hmm, thinking about that second sink.

as much as I value the opinions I hear on here, I don't think the fridge in the pantry area will work for us. we don't want the fridge spilling into the family room.

so without that change, the prep sink becomes a little less compelling.

it's still an interesting thought though to consider.

the latest plan is attached, just a small change with adding upper cabinets around the stove, and extending the corner lowers to 24" width instead of 18" width.
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    sorry, I sent the wrong image. this one is more clear.
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

You have a nice sized kitchen but nearly all of your meal prep will be on the island. There just isn't enough room between sink and range and range and fridge to be useful for prepping. You'll have enough room to set a pan down in the est 15" space between range and fridge.

Additionally, because you've given up a lot of space to appliances and a trash pull-out in the island, you'll be lean on storage space for prep items. Unless you are a minimalist, you'll likely going to end up storing prep items in the nook cabinets, which means more steps during meal prep.

You wrote that you hate having the trash under the sink because people want to get to it when you're at the sink. Do you realize that much of your island prep will be over appliances? You'll need to step aside when someone wants to use the MW. And will you really want to prep over the steam oven when it's in use?

This is how I expect meal prep flow to go: Pantry to island; fridge to sink, crossing the cook zone, to island to range with a side trip or two to the nook cabinets to obtain additional prep items. You may end up storing measuring cups and spoons in the island and moving baking/casserole pans to the nook cabinets. If you do, I think you'll want to do a drawer in drawer so that you're not storing items normally stored in top drawers in deeper drawers lower down.

Accessing the cabinets beneath the island will be a PITA if you store often used items here.
    It's your kitchen, your money and you know what will and won't work for you but honestly, I think your plan can be improved. Kitchen remodels are costly and a huge inconvenience so IMO, you should aim for getting the most bang for your buck.

Can the DR entry be shifted towards the LR? If so, this would be possible.

The fridge is shifted to the right but not as far as I had placed it in a previous proposal. You gain usable counter on each side of the range. With the additional counter on each side of the range, a 48" range doesn't look as out of scale for the space as it does in your first plan. That said, you can also downsize to a 36" range. I would put the steam oven between range, leaving the island for prep.

I moved the pantry storage to the nook area, leaving plenty of space between table and 12" deep cabinets. 12" is a good depth; you won't need to add ROTs (roll out trays) or pull-outs to the cabinets to access items. That will save you money.

I show the nook with a 48" dia pedestal table. It's easier to get on and off the benches without table legs in the way. A square or rectangular trestle table would also work.

Durham Trestle Table · More Info

I reduced the depth of the island, which freed up room on the bottom wall for more storage and counter space. This will be much more accessible and thus usable than storage under the island. It can serve as a beverage or breakfast bar and for a buffet, better served in a perimeter location.

I show 4 seats at the island but you may be able to fit 5.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Interesting ideas, thanks! You definitely inspired us to make a rectangular island. What do you all think of this latest revision? The island is meant to be a little longer to line up with the end of the pantry probably.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Interesting ideas, thanks! You definitely inspired us to make a rectangular island. What do you all think of this latest revision? The island is meant to be a little longer to line up with the end of the pantry probably.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

Your latest idea is only a slight modification of your previously plans. It still has all of the same issues.

Can you move the DR door?

Serendipity M thanked lisa_a
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you SO MUCH for all for your help and patience. I know we aren't implementing a lot of the ideas. There are little reasons here and there why we aren't :( For example we don't want to have more construction to move the door, my husband said no for more demolitions/constructions!

It seems like I am worrying about things that no one on here has flagged as an issue, and I'm not worrying so much about things that people here have flagged as issues. I guess that's due to my inexperience.

For example, I was concerned that the wrap-around cabinets look heavy and old fashioned so I'm thinking of going back to the old way of ending the cabinets and leaving the corner blank.

And I was concerned about that huge space between the sink and counter, it would be awkward to rinse veggies for instance and then have to take a few steps to put them on the main prep area, so I'm back to thinking about an L-shaped island. There is actually room for a sink on the island now (if I replace the mixer stand) but I'm not so sure a sink is helpful if there is no fridge on the pantry wall, which we don't want as we don't want the fridge so close to the family room. I've sketched out the family room now so you can see what I mean.

And I'm concerned about those benches. I wanted the benches to go up to the cabinets but the kitchen designer says there are no good solutions for where the bench will meet the cabinet-- there is no bookshelf option for the cabinet. So since the benches are on their own, it's a little awkward and feels unnecessary, so now I'm wondering if we should just get rid of the built-in benches and use chairs or even a store-bought bench.

Here's a new drawing-- one square is approximately a foot. You can see that we are trying to open the kitchen to the family room.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks redsilver! unfortunately there are a few places I couldn't follow your explanation to understand your suggestions.
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

Don't feel badly, Serendipity, I was confused by redsilver's post, too. I tried but couldn't follow along at all.

"I wanted the benches to go up to the cabinets but the kitchen designer
    says there are no good solutions for where the bench will meet the
    cabinet-- there is no bookshelf option for the cabinet."

Are you working with a kitchen designer who reps a cabinet line or a cabinet designer? A KD will know kitchen design but a cabinet designer won't be as versed in - and can be very uninformed about - kitchen design. Given the space, your large appliance (literally) wish list and your reluctance to make structural changes, I think you really need to work with a KD. If the cabinet company doesn't have one on staff, hire an independent KD, then take his or her plan to the cabinet designer. That's what I did. It was the best investment in my kitchen.

I think the designer means that there aren't any good solutions in the cabinet line for the bench/cabinet meet up. I'm not really sure why that would be the case, though, unless the cabinet line has limited options. I don't see any reason why standard cabinets can't abut the banquette bench, as long as the bench extends beyond the table edge so that there's room to get past the cabinet to the bench.

Galley Kitchen · More Info

Private Residence · More Info

Georgian Style | Minneapolis · More Info

The next two kitchens show a bench backing up to a cabinet, as I suggested for the area next to the beverage/breakfast center.

Blairwood · More Info

Deluxe in Alexandria · More Info

Anyhoo, I don't understand why what I'm suggesting isn't possible. I hope that the cabinet line you're considering isn't so limited that you aren't able to do something similar to any of the above.

"...we don't want to have more construction to move the door, my husband said no for more demolitions/constructions!"

You're about to spend tens of thousands on a new kitchen and tens of thousands on high end appliances - your remodel will be close to if not over $100K - so IMO, drawing the line at moving a DR doorway in order to gain the best possible lay-out and make the most of your expenditures is foolish. Moving a doorway is likely the least expensive change you're contemplating. Personally, I'd find another budget item to eliminate but it's not my kitchen, not my money.

Or I'd find a lay-out that doesn't require structural changes but eliminates or minimizes your plans' lay-out issues.

For instance:

I moved the fridge to the other side of the DR entry, freeing up room for a 48" range. I moved the sink to the island (maxed out to length of a slab of quartz). You can prep on the island, left of the sink (looking at the plan, to the right when in the kitchen), on either side of the range or under the window.

The island will be similar to these:

Maui Beach House · More Info

DS Chicago to Birmingham · More Info

Kitchen Project · More Info

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow lots to read! I am going to post my latest revision because it has this great idea my mom had to put the steam oven on the end of the island (it solves the problem of not getting a toe kick on the long side too), but I still need to catch up on the latest ideas that were shared. (Thank you so much!) i wanted to quickly respond to a previous poster about putting the stove/oven across the way-- I love that idea, my mom told me that too, but there isn't enough room on the wall to the left of the sink to put the range unfortunately, there isn't enough clearance on the left and the right is not accessible.

• redsilver
    6 years ago

I am sorry for so many words. I hope you like your new kitchen. It will be very nice once it is accomplished.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello! Thanks lisa_a, I have to carefully consider all you've said.

I forgot to attach the image of the latest. The main change is that the steam oven is moved to the other side. I much prefer this way because then I can get a toe kick along the long edge. Plus I hated having a steam oven next to a microwave in an island. Also this opens up room for big drawers I can put pots/pans in near the stove. I also added onion baskets directly across from the stove at the end of the nook lowers.

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is such an interesting idea to move the primary sink, dishwasher, and trash to the island! I mean I cannot imagine not having a primary sink in front of a window, that's how I've had them all my life. We'll see if I can wrap my head around it.

I'm not sure I like such a narrow island. Something to consider.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

Moving the steam oven doesn't fix the lack of counter and storage on both sides of your range. IMO, that is the biggest issue with all of your plans.

"I'm not sure I like such a narrow island."

To each their own. I'd hate having to access storage under the seating overhang and the pinch points you'll have between island and nook cabinets and the less than ideal aisle for back to back seating between island and banquette table. It looks like you'll have 54"; minimum recommended aisle for back to back seating is 60".

It also looks like you're aren't allowing more than 42" between perimeter counter and island. That's the minimum recommended aisle for a one-cook kitchen. You have a large kitchen so IMO, you should have wider aisles, at least 45" if not the minimum 48" aisles recommended for a 2 cook kitchen.

You're also not allowing enough room between table and the counter on the nook cabinets. It's going to be at least 6" less than than the recommended minimum for people to walk past seated diners.

Additionally, you will not be able to open the cabinet drawers without asking the person sitting directly across from the cabinet to move closer to the table or, more likely, to get up and move out of the way. The drawer will hit the chair. I have 39" between table and nook hutch. I sit at this end of the table; I'm not a big person but every now and then, I need to inch a little closer to the table so that my DH can get something out of a hutch drawer. We were okay with going with less than the width recommended for a walk-behind aisle because this isn't a thru path to additional seating, as you will have.

IMO, you have some fixed ideas for your kitchen that are getting in the way of a great lay-out that will be a pleasure to cook in, not just when you're the sole cook but when there are multiple cooks in your kitchen. As I wrote above, it's your kitchen, your money so you're free to move forward as you see fit. But you did ask for our feedback so why ignore it?

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

Having enough walking space is important. I solved the problem in my much smaller kitchen (and much smaller budget) by having a mobile table rather than an island. I don't expect you'll use this approach in your kitchen but it's worked our really well in mine.

Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

• M
    6 years ago

Jerry, it's always great to look at your very well thought out kitchen. It provides so much inspiration

• Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm not ignoring any ideas, I'm very happy we had so many people share ideas. we've considered every idea and I've discussed them with multiple family members. it's a big optimization problem to solve, and every option has pros and cons. I understand that the current configuration has weaknesses but they seem better than the alternatives due to the weaknesses of those.
  • Serendipity M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well as it turns out I couldn't sell these other ideas to the stakeholders, so the basic layout is staying.

Sponsored