How do we bring natural light into a dark 1960s house?
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Fun kitchen/living space floors - dark, light, or natural?
Comments (23)One thing I love about the graphite cabinet color I want to use is that it is a stain - not paint. The stain is on maple (can also do cherry) cabinets so you still pick up some flecks of the natural wood color in the stain - which I think would draw in the light stain hardwood floors! I'm looking at Marsh Kitchen Savannah 1 cabinets in graphite - made in NC!! I am attaching a picture. This pic is actually the cherry cabinet because the photo is actually much more like the maple, graphite-stained cabinet as it looks in person. The pic of the maple one looks kinda cheap - doesn't do it justice....See MoreIdeas for modernizing 1960's exterior
Comments (21)We have a 1960 brick veneer, ours is a Colac brick with a fair amount of variation in the colour, more an overall light orange, with the brown terracotta roof tiles. Very funny as we have trades come to the door wanting to clean the tiles, I tell them I love the mossy look. We have the wooden windows painted with 'orange scent' (a creamy colour) and then added a heritage style pergola all along the front and side with grapevines and wisteria. posts and fretwork painted with 'Native grass' paint colour- softened it down and beautified the frontage wonderfully. When we did an extension we thought about rendering but decided to keep the brick look. We took 12 months to source new and old bricks to match the original- looks great....See MoreHelp! How do I bring natural into my south-facing home?
Comments (8)And looking again, the rather narrow family room may be a bit hard to furnish, with doors on two sides and missing wall. It seems small compared to dining room and the internal playroom area. It’s the best spot in the house, north facing with views to your garden so you don’t want it to end up as a virtual corridor. Corners are the prime real estate. At the moment they are bedroom 1, bedroom 5, garage and alfresco. Three of those aren’t areas that need an outlook. I’d love to see your sitting area in a corner room with windows on two sides and views of your soon to be delightful garden! Perhaps alfresco where bed five is . Lounge where alfresco is, with double doors to close it off if needed, and maybe bed five where lounge is. I can’t see the plan as I write on my phone so I may be missing something major! Best of luck....See MoreHow do we heat and light a bathroom with three-metre ceilings?
Comments (23)We too live in a cold winter climate with our bathrooms all on the southern side and faced similar issues as you do. One smaller bathroom does not have a window so we put in a Velux skylight which provides amazing natural light through the day. This may not be to your liking, especially if you have a period home. We also use heated towel rails and under tile heating (just enough to take the chill off and stop mould) in winter. Although we have a light in the shower recess, a bonus is the large fixed shower head with inbuilt LED, which at night gives the feeling of showering under moonlight. We chose light colours and mirrored recessed cabinets to reflect as much natural light as possible....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago




Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs