Updating the exterior of a 1990's style house
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Help updating exterior house paint colours from 90's heritage look
Comments (6)Just me , but I'd start at the front , and just take the 'small steps' approach . The basics look well done . I'd go for repainting the front door in a 'popping' bright colour ( a bright red seems logical to me , as it would tie in with the 'plum' colour around the guttering ) , and see how that looks . The door does have the advantage and disadvantage that it is in the shadow most of the time , so it needs to be bright to be noticed , but you'd have to get the colour right . If that worked , I'd then be inclined to do the front and side window surrounds in the same colour as the front door , but initially only 30mm wide ( use making tape ) . The ones along the front and rear may look okay with the whole 80-100mm board painted , but I suspect the side windows would look overdone and out of character , So start smaller , stand back , wait a month , and modify if need be . Another thing , the 2 concrete 'bases' in front of the front door may get an uplift by doing just them ( they look like maybe 800mm tall by 300mm wide ? ) in the plum colour of the guttering -- ties the top and the entry together ? The pillars above them and across the front of the house , I'd leave as they are ....See MoreIdeas for updating large 70's brick exterior - Colours?
Comments (9)Congratulations Aaron on finding your "Forever home" & wanting to preserve it's 70's vibe. It does look like a big project to get your teeth into! I would think the black to be a bit strong & tend towards a warmer tone with the brick. Sandstone is also a light stone with yellows, apricots & warm tones. Woodland Grey from the Colorbond range has olive/brown tones which might suit. It depends on the vision you are trying to achieve but it looks like a natural modern style would suit the theme of the house. By that I mean taking cues from nature for colours. Good luck!...See MoreHelp updating a tired spanish-style red/brown brick home
Comments (14)I have just painted lower level of my brick house monument also gutters. I love it & less maintenance also & you don't see the cobwebs or mould. I used it on the eaves of another home in a tropical location where mould was a problem & paint additives didn't work. I would do window frames & all timber surrounds white & Gge & front doors a soft taupe. For internal walls in rental situations for the last 20 years I have used ' foxtail 1/2 strength' it is a warm grey & with white timber work it looks very modern & crisp. Before & after pics of exterior...See MoreWhat style/period is this house?
Comments (62)Thanks for the comments. To give an idea we looked at what we needed to do as the house is 30 years old and the kitchen appliances had all started to fail, cabinets falling apart, flooring damaged (only lino most of it) and bathrooms had cracked or chipped tiles etc. The previous original owners were also over 80 when they sold and couldn’t see the work required, in their eyes it was still fantastic. We realised we could easily spend enough to go into the low 100s k, so decided to do more, take it further and go over 150k so we could apply for the 25k grant which we did before new year. This mainly included more electrical work, a Zip tap and the skylight than the general wet areas. The builder gave us a ”mid-upper” range budget when we signed up which helped with tile selection and cabinet handles etc (not top end at all) and we have been pretty disciplined to keep the variations to a minimum (less than 10%). It helped doing the double glazing and buying new appliances ourselves this was cheaper. After getting the grant back we will be under 200k, but installing double glazing around the whole house wasnt cheap, this cost about 30 alone....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago

Sponsored


























dreamer