Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Engineered Stone Failure

Joseph Corlett, LLC
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

A former customer emailed me this picture of his estone top that was fabricated and installed by others. This was my response:

"Unfortunately, the crack from the inside corner is not cost effectively repairable. If it's any condolence, it was due to fabricator error, as all engineered stone manufacturers require a 3/8" minimum radius on inside corners:

https://www.thestonecollection.com/sites/default/files/CS_FabManual_0910.pdf (see page 10, please)

Note the inconsistency in the radius of the pictured edge profile please. Had the edge been more rounded, it would have been less likely to fail. This is also noncompliant with the manufacturer's 1/8" minimum edge profile. Page 10 again.

Look under your slabs and see the specific brand of your engineered stone please. Look up the manufacturer's fabrication and installation instructions and present these to your fabricator/installer. You've got a slam-dunk case for replacement with him, not the manufacturer.

I'll be happy to explain to your fabricator/installer his responsibilities in this matter free of charge. If I may be of any further assistance, please contact me at your convenience."

As Houzz readers know, I'll play fast and loose with some manufacturer's instructions, however, this is not one of them. If your fabricator/installer shows up with inside corners that look like this, don't even let them install the tops please. This took at least 3 years to fail. Granite should get a little radius too. If you've got to have square inside corners, use a French miter and stare at the extra seam.

Comments (3)

Sponsored