Houzz Logo Print
cannawine

To paint white or not?

cannawine
11 years ago
We have lots of wooden paneling in our entrance hall. We also have wooden skirtings doors, door frames and staircase. We want to keep parts of the staircase, the upper handrail and the horizontal part of the steps brown/ wood and are considering painting everything else white. Very mixed opinions about painting beautiful wood white! Please advise

Comments (72)

• iambicgirl
    11 years ago
    You've been given lots of good suggestions, and I agree that you should not paint the staircase. To me, the room is very busy. I would use a solid colored rug and try to make the accessories more cohesive. I think that the chrome lamp is distracting. Your room has beautiful bones, but the architectural details are getting lost with all of the different types of colors and accessories.
  • Alana
    11 years ago
    I recently used a color from Lowe's Olympic Audobon collection (color matched to better paint) called Crocodile Tears. It's a great light olive drab green (how's that for a description?!) color that picked up the red undertones in the 112-year-old trim in my living room.

Sorry for the crummy picture. It was taken using my phone in low-light conditions. The most accurate depiction of the color is toward the lower/middle of the window.
  • Related Discussions

What can I do with these dark walls? Paint white?????

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi Maria, we love the wood but it is a little overwhelming in that space with the timber floor. A liming white is a great idea as mentioned by a few people here. This will let you have the best of both worlds, a lighter, brighter finish while still allowing the wood grain to show through. You could try Feast Watson Liming White Floor Finish (yes, it's not a floor but it has the size of a floor!) and build up the number of coats until you are happy with the amount of timber grain showing through. You'll probably need to give it a light sand first as it's most likely already got some type of coating on it. The other option would be to leave the walls as is and consider a large, light neutral coloured rug as pompom suggested on the timber floor and perhaps a good sized piece of art on the wall or white wall shelving instead of the dark side unit you have to reduce the amount of timber in the room.
    ...See More

To Paint or Not To Paint, That is the Question!

Q

Comments (29)
    We had a house with a timber ceiling - it is a tricky decision. If it is a cheap display home build perhaps cover it, but if the quality is good it is a much harder decision. I think it looks good now and could be made very interesting. Also that look is "back". Make sure your lighting is very good and the heaviness will dissappear somewhat. The floor is lovely.
    ...See More

best white paint? What white paint should I use?

Q

Comments (6)
    We recently updated an apartment to sell and got great feedback from the buyers on the paint - Dulux 1/4 Lexicon low sheen on walls and Vivid White high gloss on doors, picture rails and trims.
    ...See More

Taubmans Crisp White paint

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the tip, this is one of the colours I was contemplating but definitely do not want cream/yellow tones!
    ...See More
  • Alana
    11 years ago
    I found it on the Lowe's website, but this is NOT what it looks like in person. It's WAY more green, but still a nice neutral.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    My vote is for the Sienna Laurel: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/siennalaurel

It would brighten the space and compliment the red tying it all together.

As a suggestion you may want to purchase sample pots of paint and paint poster board to give you a better idea of how it would look. You can move the poster board around and truly get the feel of how it would function in your space.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I agree that getting rid of the chrome lamp, or at least changing the shade, and rearranging the accessories would help a lot. I think the stuff on the mantel is particularly distracting, as much as I live flowers. With the interesting people scultptures and the painting and the rug, I would consider leaving the mantel bare. I also think the chandelier is too elaborate and a bit undersized for the space.

Bright white almost never looks right in these style of homes with lots of nice woodwork--the creams, golds and olive and sagey greens and taupe/greige complement it so much more, as does more jewel tones.

Would you mind posting a pic of the outside of the house? Is it a Foursquare? Or maybe a Colonial? The door and the narrow trim and the staircase does look a bit later to me, but the quality and amount of wood is rather unusual for the 30s. The horizontal window glazing is a later characteristic. There is a bit of Art Deco in it, which I can see in your furniture and accessories as well.

If you post more pictures, we can help figure out the style and possible date of construction. Depending on where you live, you can check Sandborne maps and old city directories (addresses do change though) and the local historical society to figure it out. That is how I found out that my house predates 1894, rather than 1920 or so like I thought. Turns out it had an extreme makeover from a Victorian cottage into a bungalow about then.

Love the light and all the art. Looks like a very comfortable and welcoming home.
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will post some more pictures of the outside of the house a bit later. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa- will need to do a bit of research as to when my area (Dunkeld) was developed to help figure out the age of my house. Thanks for the comments
  • rosiegabby
    11 years ago
    Alana - what is the name or number of te Lowes paint you posted?
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    JanisHill- is the "screen colour" of the Sienna Laurel the same/ very similar to the real colour? As I cannot get Benjamin Moore paint I will need to try and match it with something here in SA.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Every monitor is different or I would say yes.

Can you purchase sample pots of paint?
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Every monitor is different or I would say yes.

Can you purchase sample pots of paint?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    It is always possible to go a bit darker and add your own white to get the color you want. Do they have computerized color matching there? You can try printing out a good sized swatch of the color you want and have them match it, or mixing your own with craft paint. I have mixed my own color for a number of rooms in my house--the trick is to mix enough!

I am assuming that style characteristics in S. Africa are quite different than they are in the US. Despite the Depression, homes were still being built and some are quite elaborate. It would be interesting to compare local variations, but that door really looks like something I've seen in the US from about 1940 or so, maybe a bit earlier. The stylistic date range can be quite wide for some of these characteristics anyway--maybe +- 10-15 years. I see you have some on the adjoining wall too. So nice that you still have original doors.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    VBW...I, too, have mixed my own paints. One time I didn't have craft paint in the colors I needed to tint a gallon of paint. I used food coloring instead. It worked!
  • Alana
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    rosiegabbie - it's Crocodile Tears. It was an Olympic color.

Also - the ceiling is Pony Tail, if anyone's interested. ;)

Sorry for the late response, I've been scrambling to get ready for my daughter's 5th birthday party.
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Have decided to go with the colour to the left of the artwork- it's a neutral greyish colour with green undertones. Will post a completed picture later this week. Can anyone share pictures where wooden floored (reddish brown teak)/ paneled homes have paint in grey tones on the walls?
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another angle
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I think that's a beautiful shade! Here's something a little bit similar (though the color looks more saturated) in a Craftsman home:

Craftsman Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    An example of gray walls, reddish wood flooring:
    Great Room · More Info
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another angle
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another angle
  • heather888
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful entrance with the wood, its warm and inviting. I personally don't like to see wood painted in this environment as this is the look of your bldg.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    For artwork/ I would try to pick a theme and remain consistent and/or at least have the frames match on all of it. Beautiful woodwork that I wouldn't paint, as you said you were not going to. I had a very similar entry way in one of my homes, and the wood is the star....other busy things are not needed.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- This is so beautiful . I have never had a problem with painting wood . Lots of furniture etc. have been painted and then restored with having the paint removed . BUT, in your case I don't think you need to paint the wood , I think all you need is a nice rich damask or something with a hand painted look wallpaper. So don't touch the wood just work on the walls.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I prefer the paint color on the wall with BW art. It looks "fresh" to me. Beautiful space.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Usde a paint color close to yur woodwork. Leave the woodwork as is, except paint tthe wall panels to match the walls.
  • heather888
    11 years ago
    I love the wood, but then again I'm a lover of wood. I have seen walls that were painted a deep rich pink/peach that matchs in with the wood tones. It looks very warm and blends in with the wood.
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    The colour you have chosen looks great. Picking paint is never an easy process but well worth the time you have taken to find the right colour. It's an elegant colour that complements the wood, is neither too green nor too grey and is a good foil for your various artwork. I would love to see the finished results.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I really like the color you chose. I think you'll be happy with it.
  • PRO
    Dale Newman Landscape Architect
    11 years ago
    I would not paint the wood. Once wood is painted it is extremely difficult to bring it back to its natural state. why not try a color Instead of white. Colors such as light olive green, a celedon, a putty color or taupe go great with natural wood.
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Walls now painted! It is not a drastic change but definitely gives the area more warmth and goes well with the wood without being too green.

For those of you who requested to see exterior pictures of my house, I have attached some with this comment- more to follow
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Additional exterior pictures
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Additional exterior pictures
  • PRO
    cormier designs
    11 years ago
    I love your home. I am so happy you did not paint any of the wood. There is nothing like a well maintained old house. Can we get a tour of the other rooms? I live in a historic district with homes from the 1920s & 30s few from the 40s. You just cant compare the older homes to the new ones that fall apart after 5 years. Whatever you do try to keep it true to the era. It is such a beautiful home.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    The paint made a subtle, but huge difference. The room feels warm and inviting.

What a lovely home. Are you native to the area?
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Janishill, yes I have lived in Johannesburg all my life. We bought our house just over a year ago and have done quite a lot of renovating- mostly cosmetic work. The floors throughout the home are parquet except the kitchen and three bedrooms have carpets over the original parquet. We had to lift and relay, sand, seal all the parquet as it had not been maintained for years. A hugely messy and costly job but well worth it!
    We also replaced all the windows which were very old metal framed windows. In winter we could not close any of them properly as they were full of old paint, hence a freezing cod house. Next winter should be much cozier! Also did some work on the kitchen (added a central island and new cupboards). The rest was paintwork, wall papering, curtaining etc. It's been a busy year but such fun. Joanjean1, I will post some more pics of the rest of the house soon.
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Janishill, yes I have lived in Johannesburg all my life. We bought our house just over a year ago and have done quite a lot of renovating- mostly cosmetic work. The floors throughout the home are parquet except the kitchen and three bedrooms have carpets over the original parquet. We had to lift and relay, sand, seal all the parquet as it had not been maintained for years. A hugely messy and costly job but well worth it!
    We also replaced all the windows which were very old metal framed windows. In winter we could not close any of them properly as they were full of old paint, hence a freezing cod house. Next winter should be much cozier! Also did some work on the kitchen (added a central island and new cupboards). The rest was paintwork, wall papering, curtaining etc. It's been a busy year but such fun. Joanjean1, I will post some more pics of the rest of the house soon.
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    The cost of re-creating what you have in your home, using quarter sawn oak would be a small fortune!
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The rest of the house.. I will post pics as I take them
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Downstairs dining room. Do need some suggestions on ways to lighten the space without changing wallpaper and charcoal paint and curtains. Again lots of wood
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Downstairs dining room. Do need some suggestions on ways to lighten the space without changing wallpaper and charcoal paint and curtains. Again lots of wood
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The kitchen
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Breakfast room off the kitchen
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Formal lounge- to the right as you enter the house. The dining room is on the opposite side
  • ASN ASN
    11 years ago
    For the kitchen you might put a big minimalist white colored vase and place a big white framed mirror..would fit to your gray wall/panel..
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    To brighten the dining room hang a large mirror on the solid grey wall which is directly across from the windowns. This will bounce light around the room. Btw, what is that exactly?

If you have any energy left, after doing all you have been doing, recover the chairs in a yellow/grey/white print.

Hope you will post updates!
  • PRO
    cormier designs
    11 years ago
    HI, I think you should get a nice rug to break up all the wood.
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, great ideas. I think a solid coloured rug- lighter grey Would work quite well. Any other suggestions? I also like the idea of a mirror- think I would need to remove the other two then? Too many mirrors?
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Found some rugs that I LOVE for the dining room. Very expensive though...
  • cannawine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Some more
  • User
    11 years ago
    Do not paint ANY woodwork! Instead, go with a nice green, blue, or grey color on the walls.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    My apologies. I was tired last night and could not tell the grey wall was the fireplace wall.

Something I noticed when I was looking back at your pictures was the difference in height of the 2 doors at teh back of the room. You could top the left one with a framed mirror to lessen the difference visually. Then add a large mirror over the fireplace, as previously mentioned. I couln't tell in the pictures if the frames on either side of the china cabinet held mirrors or pictures. The answer is yes that would be too many mirrors.

I like both of the first two rugs. Either one would look fantastic.