Houzz Logo Print
pacerwaala

Installing new floor - suggestions needed on 5 inch width

pacerwaala
9 years ago

Hello

I just joined this forum and am slowly learning a lot. Based on conversations here, I have eliminated buying chinese made stuff, lumber liquidators, buying online, Home Depot , lowes, etc. I visited couple of local shops and found that there is a whole different world out there when it comes to hardwood floor.

I live in Metro Detroit, Michigan (Obviously severe winters). I have 1200 square feet of carpet and vinyl on my first floor. This is on top of a full basement, Currently, I have a wood(I think plywood) subfloor under the carpet and vinyl floor. I want to replace the carpet and vinyl with Hardwood floor.

My requirements are as follows but can be altered based on suggestions except for the 5 inch width.

1 - 5 inch width planks (I want this for sure)
2 - square edges ( I prefer this if available but can adjust with micron or micro beveling)
3 - solid hardwood ( I prefer this but when I went to the local stores, everybody was pushing me towards engineered hardwood because the solid hardwood at 5 inch width will gap up during Michigan winters).
4 - I do not want oak as I do not like the look. I prefer wood that is plain like Maple, maybe cherry, etc.

Questions -

5 - With my locations, humidity, etc, would you guys/girls suggest that I buy engineered hardwood instead of solid hardwood if I want the 5 inch width. If I do this, am I settling - will the feel of engineered hardwood and solid hardwood be the same.

6 - Is there a 5 inch width solid or engineered hardwood that comes with square edges or should I settle for mirco or micron beveled planks.

7 - What manufacturer do you guys recommend - I want to go medium to high end as I will live here for atleast 10 to 15 years. Mirage and Lauzon are expensive, is there anything else that you recommend that is a little lesser in cost but comparable in quality.

8 - One local shop had the Mirage Nevada Maple engineered hardwood. We liked this a lot but it was $13 a square foot retail price. He said he can reduce it 10% if we get 1200 sq.feet. Is this a normal price or am I being taken for a ride. Are their any other manufacturers with lesser price.

Comments (8)

Sponsored