Houzz Logo Print
rob_petrusevski

Home Audio/Automation prep

Rob Petrusevski
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Because well, we all need another thread :-)

Doing a major reno on our 1960's back split and opening up a lot of space. In the end it will be a rectangle room about 27ft wide/deep and 40-45ft long. Large open space with the main Family Room, Dining Room, and Kitchen. I love tech and am pretty comfortable with it. Also come from a family of electricians so my father and I will be doing all the electrical. Questions.

- I'll be running wires for audio in most/all rooms. Most likely end up with 8 zones - Master, Kitchen, Living, Family Room, Outdoor Patio area, Master Bathroom, potentially hallway or another bdrm or two. Should I run speaker wire, or cat5

- Home Audio. I have read a lot about sonos and I like the large library of audio sources (mostly stream) but I don't like small dock style speakers. Feel a compromise in quality of sound? I'm thinking in ceiling speaker with the odd sub placed in key rooms. Am I missing something with Sonos? I know I can use the connect in each room but then I'm up to 6-8 sonos connects.. must be a better way.

-budget? How much would you budget for a 3500sq ft home with the above?

Comment (1)

Sponsored