Houzz Logo Print
hfranze

Integrate fridge/freezer or not?

8 years ago
Hi anyone who has or hasn't integrated their fridge/freezer..would you do it again, pros and cons?

We are a family of 5, not many on the Aussie market, looking at Miele, will have 400L of fridge and 160L of freezer. But worried they are narrow and not very deep.

Don't want to make a mistake and regret it after as they are not cheap and suspect it won't be easy to change if they are integrated.

Kitchen is in shaker charcoal with brass tap and lighting. Do worried the current place will just ruin the look? Unless anyone's has other ideas for the position of where they can go and it be integrated?

Or would you go freestanding?

Comments (27)

• 8 years ago

So, just so I am clear. Are you trying to decide between a stand-up two-door fridge and freezer, or are you considering a stand-up fridge and a chest freezer somewhere else?

• 8 years ago
    Side by side!
  • Related Discussions

Integrated fridge: Door-on-door or integration kit or don't bother??

Q

Comments (1)
    I got integrated, kitchen is going in soon so yet to use it. But I had issues with the height of the integrated fridges. I'm bang on average height and the top interior shelves were too tall for me to use. I could barely reach the front of the top shelf in all fridges but the sub zero built in one I ended up buying. But I'm happy I went integrated, I really didn't want to look at a square of stainless steel messing up the flow of my wall cupboards.
    ...See More

White fridge or stainless steel?

Q

Comments (41)
    Hmm. Folks I don't understand what is going on with these recent comments. The fridge dilemma was settled ages ago and I advised that I had settled on a stainless-steel fridge that worked well in my white kitchen. Just as an update, I had some problems with said fridge, calling for service several times and the fridge having to go back to the factory. Very unsatisfactory and inconvenient. They provided a loan fridge but as everyone knows, emptying and stocking fridges is not the most enjoyable pass time. After some discussions with F & P they were persuaded to replace the dud fridge with another similar fridge, although with the concealed handles. (Not my preference). I had to pay a small amount, but it came with a new fridge warranty. So dear people, I will close this conversation and give thanks to everyone for the input. Kind regards sydneymidge
    ...See More

What is the optimal space between open fridge door and island bench?

Q

Comments (1)
    This is a houzz picture with similar location of fridge and island.
    ...See More

Integrated fridge and freezer

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, love a pigeon pair. If you are going to integrate make sure you buy a quality set as you don’t want to have to replace before your kitchen. Also remember fridges are deeper than standard cabinets and need ventilation space so need to work that into your design. Enjoy
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

Hi, I am in your exact situation, with family of five and planning new kitchen Reno. We looked at the intergrated fridges and the capacity of them was going to leave us having to put in an extra fridge in our butlers pantry. We already use a large side by side fridge freezer in the kitchen and then have a large freezer which will go in the butlers pantry. (Currently in the living room!) for back up bread, milk and bulk meat. Like us you would be using at least a loaf of bread a day, 2 lt of milk and then whatever you have for dinner. You can't shop every second day! Get the storage right. Functionality first.

The integrated fridges available in Australia are just too shallow to cut it for the storage we need. I suggest you find a super sexy fridge you like the look of. Not worth it for the expense. Next time I upgrade I'm going French doors so I can put platters in.

• 8 years ago

No ..I had a partly integrated dishwasher looks nice until you have to replace it..it was very heavy to get rid of..never again ..luckily we didn't integrate the fridge or the oven ..

• 8 years ago

Go for capacity as priority. With 5 kids you need to minimise shopping expeditions, even get deliveries in bulk. You need lots of storage overall.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Are you suggesting altering the current fridge recess to a mudroom and utilising the space behind to put the fridge where you currently have the pantry? or installing the integrated fridge in the current fridge location? Just broadly, the capacity of the fridge and your family needs (functionality) is your most important consideration. My thoughts are that whilst sexy, the capacity you mention is probably insufficient for a family of 5. Secondly, other very useful features such as filtered water and ice on tap (Aussie Summer!!) are other features you would be giving up. If you are open to the idea of putting a regular fridge in the space in the buttlers pantry directly behind the mud room, you are reclaiming bench and storage space in the visible part of the kitchen. If you are intent on the mud room, and the specified location for the fridge is the one you go with, keep in mind that the majority of the fridges on the market are fairly deep, hence a decent family sized fridge would protrude past the cabinetry. One solution for this would be to increase the depth of cabinetry along this wall. This would also help with how far you can open the fridge door where the nib wall is located. Some fridges require you to open the doors fully to be able to remove the trays for cleaning and the nib wall may prevent this. I hope this helps a little, if you would like additional assistance please contact me directly through houzz and I may be able to offer more assistance.

• 8 years ago

We share your dilemma. What does one do with dark cabinets, and gold hardware??. White or stainless steel fridge- nope. I've had my eye on the F&P french door integrated, but that is smaller (349L) than the Miele you have your eye on. I'll keep my eye on your post. Good luck!

• 8 years ago

Stainless goes fine with dark cabinets as it tends to reflect the dark back.

• 8 years ago

We have old dark jarrah cabinets all through kitchen, with gold knobs, and I've replaced all the kitchen appliances with stainless steel. Looks stunning as it it looks as if it belongs in a professional kitchen, without being too great a contrast with the dark wood. The old white appliances jarred, but the stainless steel just works.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi ! - but might be better storage if you go for a pair of tall integrated fridges 1770mm tall and one tall integrated freezer same hight too, add a tall pantry cabinet to make it appear as two double cabinets each end of the long run perhaps ?
    DW might be better elsewhere too as will block access to pantry when open for filling or emptying...
    Have you considered having an independent design done - so you can shop around and compare prices with your own plan ??

• 8 years ago

always have a proper sink in the kitchen have you thought of forever washing dishes and preparing food in a prison cell? because that will be what it will feel like..no windows ..4 walls

butlers are great for housing kettles toasters rice cookers etc so they are away from sight..we mainly use ours to make toasts or cup of tea..

I've done food prep in there and since ours is tiny the food falls to the ground ..a mess..better to do food prep outside ..plus no view..no interactions

I'd prefer to do food prep outside in the kitchen then move stuff in there to temporarily drain the noodles or cut up vegies etc so not to clutter kitchen bench

• 8 years ago

Yes- totally agree with Vy and Oneplan. Sink and DW in island- unless you have a pot-filler over the hob, you will be travelling the whole kitchen with pots of water. The tall fridge and tall freezer both integrated side-by-side...sexy and functional!...put an extra fridge in the pantry if you need.

• 8 years ago

Could there be an option to find an adhesive wall paper or something similar to cover the fridge doors in to make it look brass?

• 8 years ago

We installed the Liebherr integrated side by side fridge/freezer. Love the look, but we do use a second fridge when we have bigger groups to cater for or do a big cook up. Would do integrated again though.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I would go integrated. By the look of your design it seems like you are after a sleek minimal kitchen. Charcoal shaker doors and brass accents will look amazing, and with the layout it would be a shame to see bulky fridges. I'd put a smaller fridge in the pantry if necessary for drinks etc. It may even be more practical this way then looking into the void of a huge fridge.

• 8 years ago

I'd find somewhere else to locate the kids' area for bags, boots, sports gear, etc. Think the place you're putting it will become a dirty, congested area right beside your food handling zone. It could be unsafe if kids fail to place items fully within their area. Imagine tripping over a handle or shoe when carrying food or drinks.

If you can fit a fridge in that area, it'd be easily accessible for family members wanting to get drinks and snacks without coming right into the kitchen. I like integrated fridges and fridges but think you must put functionality and day-to-day user safety at top of your priorities list.

• 8 years ago

Another reason for relocating that kids' 'mud area': kids will very likely place their bags and other stuff on the island before getting around to putting them away. Bags score high bacteria counts when tested.

• 8 years ago

Go for the larger capacity and forget about the integrated. I did integrated in my last build and at the end of the day I didn't think it was worth the extra expense.

Good luck

• 8 years ago

After lots of research we chose a Fisher & Paykel French door fridge. (Not the plumbed in ice dispenser....heard of problems with any brand re issues there). Have never been happier with a fridge. Lots of space for plates/platters etc. Also not bulky. The side-by sides looked way too small to me. Integrated did not seem worth the cost to me. Or for any future issues to fix.

• 8 years ago
    We're looking at getting the F&P 525L integrated French door f/f. It is more expensive than the standard one, but I just don't like the look of a fridge in the kitchen when it is an open plan entertaining area.
  • 8 years ago

Just a thought but perhaps you could put the fridge in the pantry and flip the extra pantry storage out to the kitchen. Not many more steps to the fridge and would save the cost ( and maybe future hassles) of the integration......

• PRO
    8 years ago
    Hiya!
    We recently integrated our existing Fisher & Paykel 520lt fridge into some new cabinetry - F&P sell a kit for around $50 to convert/attach to the exterior cabinet door.
    Might be an option!
  • 8 years ago
    Why not have fridge where mud area is so kids can get drinks without interrupting you when cooking then no need to worry re integrating
  • 8 years ago
    Is your sink and only access up water in butlers? With kids centrally located tap and easy access to fridge most important I love my lge double dunk and dishwasher in island
  • 8 years ago

Hi, I have to agree with rwalton5 with regard to the use of space set aside for the boot/ bag area. While the idea of the area is great, it really needs to be located in a more appropriate area of the house. Perhaps in the entry or laundry area. I do have a suggestion for your choice of fridge. I own and operate an Agri tourism business and was suprised when setting up a commercial type kitchen at the reasonable cost of commercial fridges. These fridges are built to take the wear and tear of busy kitchens with multiple users, much the same as a large family. I was able to store large water containers with tap, large platters and large plastic tubs to house fruit and vegetables. I can remember thinking at the time how ideal this option would be for a large family. I was able to install a much larger commercial fridge at a lower price than I could buy from a regular retailer. My thoughts are that you would then be able to fit a large chest freezer in your butlers pantry. While chest freezers are not fashionable, they provide the room you require for buying / freezing bulk groceries. Good luck with your plans!

• 7 years ago
    Do you have another sink or is it only the double in the pantry?
    I want to hide the sink and dishwasher in the pantry but am worried about the practicality of not having a sink in the work space.