Houzz Logo Print
janetelizabeth_cronin

Character Villa with bad extension - should the extension go?

JE C
7 years ago

Hi, I would really value input on the following dilemma. We bought our 1910 villa about 8 years ago thinking that the extension - whilst not ideal - was open plan and spacious enough (9 x 9 m for kitchen, dining living, laundry and office) and could be fixed up. The house is on a good block with a pool and we like the area. We live in SA. The villa part of the house is ideal for us in its current layout but we need additional accommodation equivalent in space to the existing extension . In the last 8 years we have done some renovation of the front 1910 part of the house ( we have painted, rewired, landscaped, damp treated, and updated the ensuite) and the extension is driving us round the bend as it has glass in the roof and faces west and is impossible to keep cool in summer and warm in winter. It is also poorly insulated ( we have a suspicion it was originally a shed!). Oh, and it has an ugly roofline and a pergola with a roofline that doesn't match either! Structurally its not too bad (some cracks but we live in an area that gets cracking and we haven't filled them at all). The glass roof leaks a bit but we are living with the leak as they aren't that bad and we have been trying to develop a long term plan. We have not maintained the extension because of the uncertainty about its future.

I am struggling a bit with the idea of knocking down the extension and doing it from scratch because it would involve admitting to myself that the premise on which we bought the house was wrong! The interior layout of the extension could be changed if I could deal with the heat and cold and make the exterior look acceptable.

There is a step up from the 1910 part to the extension but I don't mind that, the extension has been there for a long time, the glass bits were added in '88 we think.

We hope to live here in the long term but cannot guarantee that, and would prefer a small reno project to a big one in terms of stress etc. if possible If we had to move (eg interstate for work) we would want to ensure that the house was easily saleable. We are not planning to move though.

Finally, we live in a suburb that has some historic significance on a corner block and we cannot knock the whole house down (and would not want to).

I will post some photos in a moment ( need to do that from my phone) and subsequently a diagram of the existing layout. We have come up with a lot of ideas over the 8 years but obviously none of them were quite right - I would love it if anyone can think of anything that means we do not have to do a whole new extension.

Thanks!

Comments (20)