Houzz Logo Print
mbrad_plantnut101

greenhouse over patio

All, I was looking on some posts on this forum and the web and thought I'd just ask here. We have a large brick patio off the house and I am debating between putting up a pergola this summer or removing it and putting up a sunroom/greenhouse type structure. Originally, the idea was to put up a sunroom, after the municipal authorities came out and marked the property for my fence I discovered that there are electrical wires buried under the patio. I am not sure which kind of wires since after they marked them with the little flags my 4 year old went out back as i was getting my camera and collected ALL of them. ( I was so mad!!) I have no idea if the wires can be moved, but it sounds costly.

I think the reason I'd like a "garden room" is to essentially have a 4 season patio - a place to sit and relax and overwinter my ever-growing collection of houseplants - a 5 foot draceana, gigantic jade, banana, and lime tree, and four foot cactus. These plants do wonderfully on the patio during the summer - it would be nice to leave them there year 'round. But between removing a brick patio and a installing a cement foundation I am not sure i want a huge mess (or cost)....so I was thinking because i want to primarily use it as a garden room, can I put a large greenhouse directly over the patio? Has anyone ever done this? I was thinking this is a better alternative as when I water the plants, the water can just drain through the bricks? The bricks would give some thermal mass and there is even room for a small pond in the corner which would hold ~50 gallons. I don't think i can mount a greenhouse directly to the brick, but do all of you have cement foundations that are continuous around the perimeter of the structure or do you use concrete footings?

Photo attached, sorry about the image quality, older camera phone.

thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored