Houzz Logo Print
angkb1124

Island update countertop size

Angela
6 years ago
We are about to update the cabinet and island countertops. Our existing island is 38"×62". We are replacing the cooktop (36") with a new 36" gas cooktop. Presently, there is 13" on each side, and on the backside of the cooktop. When standing, facing the stove, the refrigerator is 33" from the right side of the counter. I'll replace it with a counter depth French or side-by-side refrigerator, which will add about 3"-6".

I'd like more room on each side of the cooktop. There's barely enough room for ingredients, much less a lid. It would be good to have a little more room for getting food in and out of the refrigerator.

I'm looking 2" on the backside of the countertop to a deeper cooktop. There's plenty of room for traffic on the non-cooking side, and on the left side of the cooktop to expand the size of the counter.

I'm considering 3" on the right side of the stove, 5"-7" on the left side, and 7 on the backside (non-cooking) side. I use the backside to put food that gos in and out of the microwave and oven, and the space, now, is barely adequate. We entertain often and occasionally that side is used for staging when we do buffet style serving.

I am uncomfortable and nervous with what is the ultimate size. Input would be appreciated!

Comments (35)

Sponsored