Houzz Logo Print
pphan17

What do you think of my floor plan for my new home?

Peter Phan
5 years ago
Hi everyone,

My first post here, love the community.

I am planning on project to build a new home. My land block is 12m wide, 40m long. I am in Sydney, Australia. The front faces south, back faces north.

I have drawn a plan to scale as best I can (1 square = 1m).

I have chosen a single storey because I feel this will bring the family closer together, we just had a little one.

I have not yet engaged with an architect, I thought I'd bring my ideas to as many people to critique before I start finalising.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Peter

Comments (73)

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I've run into a delimma...

According to the housing code, I cannot have a double garage for blocks that are less than 12m wide, mine is 11.89m.

These are my options:

1- cars parked in tandem, in front of the garage - ie. on access driveway;

2- a car space along side of your single garage, but without walls and without roof;

3- a garage/double garage in backyard - there is a "right-of-carriage way" in the RHS over the battle-axe handle.

Would be great to get your thoughts
  • oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

a site plan showing the exact position of the "right of carriage way" and possible location for the double garage would help clarify that option better

• Related Discussions

What do U think of my new terracotta Spanish ROOF TILES? and colour ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Can't go wrong with charcoal in my opinion, love it. Classic colour.
    ...See More

Design ides on my new home floor plan please

Q

Comments (25)
    Emily A permanently roofed al fresco will reduce some summer heat gain (although sitting out there may be uncomfortable) and will do the same for winter. From scanning the comments it appears that you are at a point where you can still may major changes; I cannot recommend strongly enough getting the orientation of your new home right, it will be warmer in winter, cooler in summer and be significantly cheaper (if not free) to run with some appropriately detailed insulation. I do understand the appeal of a floorplan that seems to be all you have aspired too but have seen many a case where people have later regretted those decisions. If you are unsure about the pros and cons of various floorplans then get a design professional (building designer/architect) to give you guidance on an hourly rates basis. good luck
    ...See More

New coastal home: what do you think?

Q

Comments (129)
    DB.....A LOT of ideas and advice flying around here.......skimming through I see you are endeavouring to establish a basic concept for a designer/architect to consolidate for you, which is great.......whilst you may think this is a logical approach to achieve the best outcome, you are arguably just throwing around random ideas rather than properly resolving/focusing on the critical aspects ........my advice is do this: firstly clearly ascertain two things on paper, not in plan or building format but in writing...that is 1. List all your requirements/needs/goals and 2. Nominate a budget. Next, identify/research a logical local designer/architect option and approach them with this information....A designer's job is to come up with an appropriate concept/solution that best balances your requirements, aligned with a budget and of course make it viable within context/site. Sure, you want a cost effective/modest result, that's fine, and that will influence the solution, but as a general comment it feels like there is massive potential being missed considering the site..it dens;t necessarily have to be that big or fancy, but you have to put the EXPERIENCE of the home front and centre of the process, and not just think of it as a kitchen or whatever laid out this way or that ....This is about an amazing site and the living experience of that and the design should be based on this and bring together your specific requirements elegantly balanced in context......The issue I have scrolling through all this is that you have all these almost disconnected ideas of building form, but you have this incredible site....... the process of resolving the spaces ideally needs to develop from cues of the immediate environment/site in order to make the most of it since you are pursuing a customised solution.....agree with MB, every project has a budget and ultimately from experience this is in general the ultimate/overriding constraint. This project could be anything upwards from $500K and it will come down to the working out how far you want to take it, and what your priorities are over various levels.......this one has seriously significant potential -make sure you make the most of it as you're truly fortunately to have this opportunity to build a home for you and your family to enjoy there.......best of luck :) PD
    ...See More

What do you think of this floor plan for our new home?

Q

Comments (19)
    Unexpectedly to me, due to it's location on the crest of the Great Dividing Range at an elevation of around 700m above sea level, Toowoomba has a climate more similar to Sydney than Brisbane. With average summer highs of only 28°C, & average winter highs of 17°C (lows of 7°C & cold wind, as has been mentioned). It's located in Climate Zone 2: Warm Temperature, the same climate zone as Sydney, not Brisbane. Though this climate zone is very varied, so care must be taken to cater for local conditions. As has been advised a few times, have a good read of the Your Home site. Read this section, Designing for Climate, for zone 5: warm temperate. http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/design-climate Along with having cooler temperatures than Brisbane, the fact that Toowoomba is inland means it has greater variation between daytime highs & nighttime lows (diurnal temperature range). This means that unlike Queensland coastal climates, some thermal mass in the home will be appropriate, so a lightweight structure isn't needed. Although a lightweight structure, on a ground-coupled slab (with polished concrete or tiles in North facing living areas) would be a good idea. As the temperature is so much cooler than tropical Queensland climates I'd advise against going too overboard with a pavilion style house. As I think it would be too cold in winter. Maybe something like two off-set rectangles, joined in the centre. Kinda like dreamer's inspirational picture, without the middle section, the two rectangular sections joined. Or just go for a more traditional rectangular house. In any case, like just about all Australian climates, you should try to build a house that is generally rectangular, the long sides facing north & south. This will give an opportunity for northern sunshine to enter home in winter, while the shorter eastern & western sides will limit the effect of hot summer western afternoon sunshine. Though I guess this house shape won't look great from the western road, as it will look very narrow from here. You could fatten it's street frontage a little bit, by having the garage to the south of the rectangular house. With such a large block you'll be able to build something that works for you. But as OKLouise said, don't just pick a plan for an average narrow block. The plan you picked is not really suitable for your block. I'd also recommend you do a lot of research yourself. As has been shown with the plan you've received, you can't rely on the builder to design a plan that will work best for you, that is appropriate for your location. So read up on the Your Home website. It's an invaluable resource when it comes to building a comfortable, energy efficient home.
    ...See More
  • Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is a survey plan of the block. Block is previously subdivided, the KDR project will be on the front block with right of carriage way on the RHS.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

you need to be much more specific showing exact position of the right of carriage with distances from fences .try a hand drawn sketch including location of north, required setbacks from each boundary and size of available space for the house and garage

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Peter have you actually gone in to speak with Council about this and or has the block been recently surveyed

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The current block is a result of a recent subdivision, the survey plans above was used for the subdivision process.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Thanks, any possibility of doing what a friend who lives on the Northern beaches in Sydney who bought and built on the front of a narrow battle axe, they built their double garage stepped back at the front of the property which was accessed from the side access road, then they had a good sized courtyard with entrance into the house beside the garage. The street frontage was planted next to the garage.

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This diagram shows available building space for this lot according to council requirements.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi peter, re: building width available. This must be very disappointing to you. But, this is a very important component of your plans, and you really should have had this information before you started your rough plans. I wish you the best in finding a solution.
  • Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the lot width is 11.89m, not 10.89m, sorry.

A narrow width doesn't give us much options, but we're determined to make best use of land from this.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    I posted a plan on Tuesday. This house was 10m wide. This would allow for side set backs. You could take out the double garage and replace with single garage.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Understood what width you meant, would it be worthwhile going to council to negotiate this

• ddarroch
    5 years ago

I'd be following Siriuskey's suggestion, & be visiting council. Especially as your 11.88m frontage is so close to the minimum requirement of 12m.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, so maybe someone can educate me on why these sort of restrictions are in place. Is it so unsightly double garages don't dominate streetscapes (my mum hates them)? Especially with the prevalence of narrow blocks, many much narrower than Peter's. Or is it because, in the case or northern frontages, double garages rob the house of natural night? Not a problem for Peter, with his southern frontage, & sunny backyard. Any other reason anyone can think of?

If it's the first case, that they just don't like the appearance of garages dominating the streetscape, you may have a few options that could satisfy council (I don't know how open they usually are to compromise).

Maybe council would be happy with a more visually appealing garage door. There's plenty of attractive ones, some that disappear, blending into the building's cladding.

Or, as your block is only 0.11m too narrow, maybe you can compromise, by having a narrow double garage. It may be a little annoying, but if you don't have large cars you may be able to get by with a garage that is only 5.9m wide.

Can you use the right-of-carriageway on the RHS? Maybe you could rotate the garage 90°, so you drive out onto the right-of-way? Then the garage wall on the street frontage could have frosted windows, so that the garage appears to be a normal room.

Or you could split it into two single garages. One facing the street, one facing the right-of-way?

Or of course, similar to one of your suggestions, a single garage, & a single carport?

I definitely wouldn't be putting a garage or the back. That's where your natural light comes from, where your outlook is, & connects to your living areas to the outdoors.

Oh, & I'd definitely investigate building on the boundary, & having a side entrance, which will shorten that long hallway to the living areas. It's a more efficient use of space, important for a small block with restrictions.

First stop, the council.

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great suggestions, will definately pay a visit to council.

Some arguments I'll bring:
    - the minimum lot width for double garage is 12m, mine is very close, 11.89m
    - the appearance of the lot as seen from the street is lot + carriageway way = 11.89m + 3.35m = 15.24m, could the non-compliance be considered waved
    - ask if double garage can be considered, any specific requirements eg aesthetic garage door
    - building on the boundary- the existing property is built on the boundary against the carriageway with eaves overhanging into carriageway, could the double garage be built on the boundary for new proposed building?

I have heard somewhere that the 1 issue with garage taking up most space on narrow lot is a security concern- if occupants suspect intruders, there must be a window facing the street to quickly look out while staying inside and not having to go outside.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I think security camera's take care of that these days, but you must remember to arrange for power company pad lock for your power box, otherwise the trick is that intruders turn off the power and if no one comes out they no there's no one at home, I think you will have a great case, will you have to maintain part of the existing house wall on the boundary to allow you to build to the boundary, this is where an Architect is really helpful

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Reading more. So this is not a new subdivision. This is an existing house on a subdivided block, that you are demolishing and building a new home. My understanding is, if you are building a new home, then the current council regulations must be abided by. Just because something has been a certain way, doesn't mean the council will allow the same with a new build. Also, the right of carriage way. Is this common property, or for use only by owner of the rear block? I would check this out as well. If not common property you have no access to this drive way. I would definitely request consideration for a zero lot boundary for garage. You may have to put garage onto left hand side of property. Good luck with council.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

the dilemma about the width of the block is a great opportunity to have a much more appealing front facade with another courtyard instead of the standard big garage doors, adds more liveable space inside the house and you could build a much cheaper lightweight garage in the backyard connected to the house with a simple pergola covered terrace rather than having a garage and alfresco included in the house..luckily there seems to be enough space for a modest garage in the backyard but consult council about encasing the sewer line in concrete (below ground) which may allow for a bigger garage to be built over the top of the sewer line (with or without a sewer access point in the garage floor and/or driveway) and you could also apply to build the garage closer to the north and west boundaries which allows more space for reversing out the driveway ... the enclosed fenced back garden with the generous covered area will make a safer kids' backyard, the front courtyard to be enjoyed from the lounge and music room but care should be taken to avoid a kitchen window with a direct line of sight from kitchen to master bedroom and also avoid overheating with too many big windows along the western side of the hallway...very low horizontal windows along the hallway could be an interesting feature to reduce overheating and help improve privacy from neighbours

• ddarroch
    5 years ago

To dreamer's point about knock-down-rebuilds. While observing KDR's here I've often noticed something a little strange. Instead of a full demolition of the old house, quite a few of the large beachfront builds incorporate a very small portion (often a single wall) of the old structure.

I'm not sure, but I would guess this is so that the build would be classed as an "alteration & addition", not as a "new build". Maybe this is to avoid newer, stricter regulations. Maybe someone else here would know what this is all about?

Normally I wouldn't agree with these tactics. I've seen an ocean-front mansion built extremely close to a southern neighbouring block of units. This large house is an eyesore, crowds & overshadows many units, negatively affecting many people. This would never pass current building regulations, & nor should it!

However, Peter, if you're meeting with the council doesn't go well, this approach may be worth considering. As you're only a few cm off being within current regulations I don't feel it's a big deal. If council plays hard, you may want to consider incorporating the boundary wall as part of your garage. Calling your build an "alteration & addition", skirting current regulations.

No idea if this works everywhere, or whether it's a Northern Beaches council thing. Or whether retaining a small portion of the original building is being done for some other reason.

Could just be another arrow in the quiver, if required.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Peter as DD said by keeping and using part of the building that is on the boundary with the eaves projecting out over the right of way would be the best way to go forward. We have a house next us that was a two story 80's Architect designed double brick house, that is " alteration and addition", they only retained both side walls of the double garage and demolished the rest to do this.

It would be well worth employing an Architect to help draw up what you think you want and then you can take over from there cheers

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Peter, this is an example of putting the cart before the horse with your house plan. Council regulations, site allowances, building codes should be known prior to drawing up your rough plans. Then you do not get disappointed or confused along the way. Please make a list of questions when visiting the council, and do not leave until you have the correct answers. Then an architect can draw up some plans with the correct information. Good luck with your plans. Hope the houzz site has helped you a little bit, though you have gone in a big circle.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

Yep, again, hence my original comments & advice.......the challenge of design is not getting the spaces working (that's easy!), rather, it's in the negotiation of the various constraints to achieve viable and value outcomes.....seriously, only professionals doing this day in day out have the breadth/combination of the necessary skills, knowledge and industry experience on numerous levels to achieve it, particularly with the more custom and complex jobs.....the most productive way forward is to (a) clarifying your particular needs and requirements and (b) seek appropriate professional design consultation.......BTW I'd advise against west facing courtyard. A job like this would be better resolved with an elegant linear design the exploits the site length as a series of balanced and well zoned spaces and a series of intermittent internal courtyards...HEAPS of design opportunity here to simultaneously negotiate the constraints and achieve a beautifully resolved residence....there are various ways of managing the garage and still achieving an elegant, balanced and appealing frontage, personally I think a driveway all the way down the side is the biggest waste of space imaginable but oklouise's idea of improving the frontage is on the right track - Peter your plan with the dogleg in the passage really not the best way to do this. You could still get the garage at the front but you need to break the spaces up and slide the entry down past it........

Happy to assist with demonstrating how you could negotiate all this and map out some viable concepts/options for your specific brief if you're interested, but it would of course involve a professional process. Feel free to contact us.

Cheers PD :)

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

And more Peter, the thing that I haven't liked so far about the floor plans is the long at times dog leg passage way to arrive at the rear of the house and the kitchen family, everyone who comes to the house has to do this. As I previously mentioned a friend built on a front battle axe block, turned the garage to the right of way with a step back to make turning easier and then a courtyard between it and the house. My rough drawing shows this and the possibility of using the boundary wall of the existing house in your new floor plan to maximize space and over come the width issue. I have no idea what is on the other side of the right of way, cheers.

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 years ago

Hi Peter, have you get a section 10.7 (used to be certificate 149) from council?
    You need to work out what the permissible floor space permitted there. Is it 50%? 60% of the lot size? From your plan, it might be ok, but you should never assume, better stick to the correct complying figure.

Also consult about the easement from sewer. There are specific distances depending on several conditions. It seems quite far away, but better be safe

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks again to all who have contributed...all your input have really challenged my ideas and given me really good direction.

Ive managed to reach the town planner team leader at council and he clarified a few things:
    - attached double garage is fine, as long as it architecturally integrates into the design, however must have 900mm side setback. So no built on boundary
    - Detached double garage can sit on boundany, must have setback of 900mm from building.
    - Front setback min 5.5m
    - Max 50% of land for living areas can be built for living spaces (my land is 540m2, so Max of 270m2 is plenty)

Here is a plan I came up with using as many ideas I've gathered
    Not included in plan:
    - Sky light over kitchen, not sure how this will look
    - layout of ens/wir, bath and laundry...

My notes when revising plan:
    - dog leg is waste of space, side entrance reduces internal walkway space
    - zoning areas together
    - entrance to kitchen/living shouldn't be too long of a walk
    - orientation and energy efficiency: northern sun in living during winter, reducing westerly sun to main living areas, glass type
    - bathroom to have separated compartments for vanity toilet and shower/bath
  • ddarroch
    5 years ago
    Sorry Peter, not a fan of that one. I'd much prefer to have the main kitchen/dining/living area facing the backyard. This is where the majority of daylight hours will be spent. As it faces north it will be brighter (so won't require light in the daytime), & warmer in winter.

I'm not sure where you're building, & forget whether you're neighbours have existing dwellings. If they do, along with plotting out your block, & your maximum building envelope, plot out all the adjoining blocks & neighbours dwellings. If they haven't built yet, plot out their maximum building envelopes, & whack a great big double storey on each one, of maximum allowable size.

Best of you can do this in SketchUp, & use the shadow diagrams. You'll see that your greatest sense of space will be the backyards, with nobody being able to build here (where I am the rear setbacks are 6m I believe).

As rear setbacks are much larger than side setbacks your sense of space looking to the backyard will be much greater than looking at your courtyard. That is, looking north to the backyard will feel much more private while looking E/W may feel crowded by neighbours.

So I'd continue to work in ideas with the main living areas out back, looking north. I like the idea of the side entrance to minimise the hallway length, so continue to investigate that idea. Throw lots of ideas in the mix & try them. Side entrance with adjoining garage on the west. Side entrance with adjoining garage on the east. Detached Garage on the east. Detached Garage on the west. Study/music room at the front. Master bed at the front. Western courtyard. Eastern courtyard (cooler summer outdoor space, but may struggle to limit western windows). Main path to entry passing through the courtyard, with main entry further to the rear of the dwelling. Smaller outdoor spaces down the side of the dwelling, to introduce more N/S windows & less W windows looking at neighbours.

Millions of possibilities. You (& your building designer) just have to come up with the one that works best for your family.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Peter, i have the following comments. Toilet- this is not in a good position on plan. Anywhere in dining/kitchen/lounge area you will have view of toilet. People using toilet would not feel comfortable. (Noise and odour) switching the door to hallway would help, but still not ideal. Hallway leading to rear rumpus-your plan shows a 2000mm hall. This should be 1500mm max. This would then allow more room into minor bedrooms. Ensuite/WIR- this is a small area. Measure your bathroom you have now and wardrobe. Would this be enough space? I also agree with having main living areas on north rear. But, you seem to have yourself stuck on the central courtyard idea. Where would your children play? Will you have sight lines from kitchen bench into the area they end up playing in? Having court yard on west side, you will get the hot summer sun directly onto that area. Therefore that will not be a pleasant play area. North should be for living, internally and externally. I do like the suggestion of having the walkway on side of home, and arriving at the rear living area.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    I notice that this is very simular to Siriusky plan on 20 July. Note toilet door orientation.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Peter, you posted the following, way back. You can have all of these things with a rear living area, having all your outdoor area at the back of block. Still include a small courtyard to side of home to let light into the side of home. Which can be planted with greenery. You will get year round use of rear yard. If you are determined to go with west large area. Please do not put in artificial lawn. It is too hot for little people to play on.
    18 Jul 2018
    My idea of courtyard is to have an open space, most likely filled artificial lawn with some medium height trees (privacy from neighbours) against the fence and a sitting area to read/have coffee. It is also a place for little ones to run around while still being able to keep an eye on them from the kitchen/living areas. Walking down the hallway, I image a glass wall (or near-all glass wall) looking out to this.
  • Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Really appreciate these tips, I feel more confident moving forward with all these ideas.

So equipped with knowledge and a better understanding of what I like/dont like, I felt it was time to speak to my architect. I gave him my two previous drawings and this is what he came up with.

I'd thought I share with you all and see what you think. This is getting really excited now.

My likes:
    - There is an overall 'flow' to this design
    - 'mudroom' at entrance sufficient to put shoes, coats, bags, umbrella etc, behind door is good, not the first thing you see when opening.
    - Living area facing north
    - From the kitchen/livingrooms, we can face alfresco/courtyard and backyard if kids are outside
    - Study allows light into corridor
    - Rumpus/music at front feels open when enter home. Excited to make this area look welcoming and beautiful

Questions:
    - BIR/ensuite at bedroom 1, can this be designed in another way. I can't put my finger on it...but it seems OK
    - Bed 1 window, I noticed there's no windows, should this be best put in the northern side? Could the landscape at the back designed in a way to provide more privacy if we open the curtains?
    - if laundry and study swapped around would this limit light into corridor
    - I prefer working/study to be closer to kitchen and living area. Perhaps the current study can be a library area with bookshelves/ reading chairs and for studying, add a long table somewhere in living room for study?
    - the BIR at bedroom 2 is L shaped, what's the best way to utilise the corner?
    - if storage area of the garage is removed, will there still be areas within garage where we can store boxes?
    - Will there be enough light coming into the living room? Could the ceiling be raked/skillion so to add upper windows for more light? Is it necessary.

At this moment my wife has decision fatigue and she 'doesn't know what's what anymore'. I am half way there and sometimes I say to myself "let's take a leap of faith and go with it".
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

that's looking great Peter perhaps swap the bathroom with the study to bring it closer to the bedrooms and family for better use, your poor wife

• oklouise
    5 years ago

to add light into hallways add simple solar skylights but i don't like the bathroom in the middle of the entry, or the open study or kids rooms near the front or the dog leg to allow for the garage when you have the luxury of an alternate garage location in the backyard...can't find anything more appealing about this design that is any better than your original plan but you say add a table "somewhere" in the living room but you need to draw the furniture to scale and try different locations...no point in having a library if there's not enough room for a family dining table

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Would you consider a skillion roof over the family, kitchen dining which could involve an open loft library/study

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Peter, suggestion, swap bedroom three with rumpus. Have a side walkway, with entry into home through the new position of rumpus room. This would then have your visitors entering with a wonderful view of your courtyard and not your bathroom. Reposition study on south wall that main bedroom walk in robe and ensuite are. There is no need for window in walk in robe. Then study can have a south view into courtyard, and be closer to living area. Window in main bedroom, should be on north side. You can only answer the storage issue in garage. We are unaware of how big your vehicles are. You have 270sqm available. What is the size of this latest plan? Skylight in new front bedroom wing would be cost effective.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

definitely still an issue with the entry - we never design an entry straight into any room, let alone a secondary living....bathroom an issue and of course it's not prioritised to best respond to the light or manage the zones, although I can see what you're trying to get at....... Peter, as discussed feel free to shoot me a private message - can help direct you! Cheers PD :)

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It was hard to imagine the dog leg on paper, so I built an obstacle with my mums tall plants and walked through it a few times going back and fourth...it was inconvenient and a waste of space.

My mum asked me what I was doing.

My main driver for this project is we recently had a little one. So my wife and I agreed that one storey gives the best "togetherness". Going back to basics: Priority #1 is living area is heroed.

Changes I've made:
    - All living rooms, North
    - Utilities room, as much as possible to West, to keep temperatures as comfortable as possible all year round
    - everything else is secondary
    - single garage instead of double, cars are replaceable, family time is not
    - second car parked outside tandem or carport at the back through carriageway way

This is what I've come up with and I can't express how much appreciation for all you've helped...im feeling more confident with this one...thank you guys

The architect says it works well and given more exact details of the actual build sizes...we will work towards refining intricate details later

The bones are almost complete...and soon it'll be time for interior design...
  • ddarroch
    5 years ago
    One other thing I've thought about with these plans, but failed to mention, is the lack of zoning. That is, the lack of doors to separate spaces.

In winter the sun will heat the northern kitchen/dining/lounge area nicely. But much of this heat will be lost towards the bedrooms (rooms that can be comfortably cooler than living areas).

The same goes for any additional heating that is required. You only want to heat the rooms you are using in the evening (the living area), not the entire house.

So I'd recommend a door separating the northern living area from the hallway.

The same goes for the second living room/media room/kids room. A door would help retain heat & isolate noise.

Personally, I like pocket sliding doors, although these don't seal so well.
  • ddarroch
    5 years ago
    Oh, & I'd noticed one of your plans had the laundry exiting down the side, near the centre of the dwelling. A long way from where the clothesline would be. This new placement is much better, & the fact is on the western wall is good too.

One other thing I'd also noticed, but may have failed to mention, is that solar PV inverters (& batteries) don't like heat. So the western wall would be a very bad place for them. As the south wall will be no good, plan on placing the inverter either on the eastern wall or in the garage.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Peter, Well done. This is very similar to oklouise design from 17/7/18. Just one thing, could the central hallway be reduced to 1500mm. This would give you an extra 500mm for minor bedrooms and bathroom. Children do get bigger quickly. This would give room for doors on the kids activity room. The narrowing of hallway, will not change entry, since you want that open. Re: ensuite bathroom. Could you have a built in robe along a wall in bedroom. Then the ensuite/WIR area, could be used entirely for ensuite? I have attached some designs which incorporate both. But, in my opinion there is not enough space within your ensuite/WIR for the people who are paying the bills. Otherwise, if your happy to compromise with a single garage, I think this plan will be good. Congratulations.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    My hand drawn suggestion. Walk in shower, double sinks. BIR 600 mm deep.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

another copy of your latest design...a much more comfortable floorplan but keep in mind the boundary slopes inward past 27m so i've allowed for the changed setback at the NE corner and ask your designer and builder to compare costs for a simple gable roof with extended eaves to the north walls and use highlight windows for bathrooms and laundry

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Oklouise, how wide did you make the hallway? I am unable to read dimensions. Can you please post a enlarged plan, thank you.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

the entry foyer is 1500mm wide and the hallway is 1100mm wide

Peter Phan thanked oklouise
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Thank you oklouise. It is always a pleasure to look at your designs. Just to see what you have come up with.
    Peter Phan thanked dreamer
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Peter for me personally with or with out a double garage I refer the the floor plan you posted on 29/07/18 with the kitchen, family running along the eastern boundary, that long long passage from the front of the house to get to this area for family and visitors would be a mistake in a new build. Plus access to a toilet from having the kitchen family/outdoor at the rear is difficult, and again a long way back into the house to access this, even more so if you add a pool.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

This beautiful house is built on the front of a battle axe block which slopes down away from the road. You access the double garage from the side access road (set back) then a courtyard with entry to the house.

Because the block slopes the house is two story at the rear. The entry into the house first floor has 2 bedrooms on the right and a smaller living on the left then kitchen dining which you can see with a Juliet style window opening from the kitchen dining. You can access the lower level via internal stairs, but when this is used for Air B&B accommodation the stairway is shut off and access is via the rear grassed area.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/7926712

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

This floor plan has a single garage, with bedrooms grouped together at the front of the house, the Music Room has been moved to the rear away from the bedrooms as it would make too much noise for those sleeping. It can now be opened up to the family kitchen dining, courtyard and Alfresco and can be used as a play room(/ guest room) giving children great indoor out door play area in view of parents. There's a study with a similar view.

A powder room closer to the rear of the house for easy access, The main bathroom is done Japanese style.

The master suite has the WIR between the bed and the ensuite, no noise etc when in use to disturb anyone.

I have made the passage way extra wide and more like a room which has a linen cupboard, you could certainly make this narrower and add to the bedrooms if you wished, This comes to 204.5 sq m. cheers

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

After considering that you now have a little one the addition of a laundry mudroom next to the garage.

The study can become a 4th bedroom fo mum and dad to stay over this reduces the width of the internal courtyard to which I have added a small swing and slide in the shade of the trees on the boundary.

A family computer/craft study desk as part of the family/kitchen /dining.

The kitchen is now along the Eastern Wall, this plus the family room, master bedroom and bedroom 2 will get beautiful morning sun.

Your poor wife, but maybe there might be some ideas in the floor plan that will appeal to you both cheers

• Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi all, it's been a while since my last update, thought I'd share my progress here.

So far, I've engaged with an architect and Im happy with the positioning rooms/layout.

I am in the process of receiving advice from passive design professionals to optimise the thermal comfort and energy efficiency of the design.

There are still minor things I want to change: including:
    - study area (make media room smaller to fit a study in other wide of wall next to living area
    - solution to adjustable shading in courtyard and pergola
  • Peter Phan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Does anyone have experience with sunshade runners?

My solution to adjustable shading in courtyard and backyard pergola is using sunshade runners (cover during summer to block summer sun and retract in winter to allow for winter sunlight/heating)
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

You look I like you've finally done your plan but I wonder why the nearly solid wall between the kitchen and the internal courtyard. wouldn't that make the kitchen far nicer if that was sliding doors or large window. Did you check out Vergola Pergolas to control weather they are more expensive than the above shades but so much better