Houzz Logo Print
scenicbluedesign

A garden of inaccessibility BEFORE & AFTER

Scenic Blue Design Pty Ltd
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We met with John and Kay at the front of the home on the drive and where welcomed to the rear garden via the side gates.

Initially what we could see was a lawn nearly level, the side of the home with a covered patio area integral to the home and a hedge row. I never forget thinking OK this is quite straight forward. However, as we walked across the lawn John and Kay took me to the hedge row and introduced me to the real reason I was there.

I remember the feeling inside so well. One of sheer excitement coupled with ‘Oh my gosh’ coupled with ‘will they let me do what is actually running through my first instinct thoughts’.

To explain, I was looking at a piece of land measuring about 230m2 that had a gradient fall of 7.5meters. The land was undulating to say the least with beautiful large old moss covered sandstone boulders behaving as if they were trying to push out of the bank. At the bottom of this section of garden was a covered area that if we breathed on it would collapse under its own weight. Well we carefully made our way down the bank keeping one eye out for foot holds as there certainly wasn’t an obvious path to follow. Once at the bottom we could comfortably chat further about what would be nice and what could and couldn’t be achieved. Well never say couldn’t, all was possible, but a balance had to be made and that means addressing quickly the perceived budget. Now having had time to absorb what lay in front of us, the full picture of possibilities came rushing to me in such a way that containing these thoughts was hard and found myself articulating my voice about what we could achieve in the vein hope of John and Kay trusting me whilst as if drawings with my arms

swinging about showing the direction of pathways, structures, features etc etc etc.

One of many reasons why we at Scenic Blue Design just feed on this passion for creating is the ability to bring to life ideas not undertaken before.

Well after much discussion about can we do this, or can we do that, what if we did this etc etc we collectively started the wonderful journey of creating their dream garden. Oh, and to add pressure under the already complex design was the garden was to be used for a wedding reception and the date of the wedding was already set. Ahhhhhh.

This garden had to be respected in totality as if not then failure was high. The stability of the land, the existing trees and their bonding to the land, the sandstone boulders, the neighbours and the potential for visual intrusion, the irrigation system and gradient demands to the pumping system, the level of maintenance and plant growth in hard conditions and then coupled and maybe what should have been placed up front is the ease of access through the garden.

Well I feel we achieved so many elements and more. We met the wedding program and where honoured to be able to film the event. Once again, coming back to a creation after the dust has settled to enjoy a cup of tea is just the best. To be able to give our skills to others for their enjoyment is simply the best. No pun intended

Comments (2)