Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

where I can buy tiles like these in the UK?

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Seen these stunning tiles on a photo on here but it’s abroad so wondered if anyone knew where I could buy something similar in the uk?
Doesn’t have to be as strong a vein as this but a veined marble look in a darker grey (not black)

I ordered a sample of a similar one of a website the other day but when it arrived, it looks more brown! Gutted. Was only £16pqm as well

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Arbor+Co
    5 years ago
    Hi Tani, have you tried Marazzi tiles? I believe they have a small selection of dark grey tiles in their bathroom collection.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I saw some on their website but they had no prices (I think ) but I will double check again.
  • E D
    5 years ago

Yes, nice tiles.

Do these come close?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Can’t seem to find it now. Their website from an iPhone app is awful and doesn’t function properly
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ah so I’ve realised that it’s called a marquina marble - (the style I’m wanting) but the grey is actually classed as a brown grey and not a cool grey tone.
    So the replicas I’m guessing would be the same?

It’s such a striking pattern without being too old fashioned.
    Not sure what else to choose as it’s only a small en suite. Wanted it to be quite striking
  • E D
    5 years ago

Tani, did you try my link?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No link there @ ED I wondered what you were referring to
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oo sorry @ ED - just noticed the highlighted word!! Lol

Funnily enough, that was the sample tile I ordered that looks brown it’s quite patchy and definitely looks more brown than grey but the tile is weirdly classed as a black

Got the pale grey sample as well which is lovely.
  • Jo@homeinWiltshire
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Solus Ceramics have something similar to what you're looking for. Also try Minoli Tiles.

• Laura Thomas
    5 years ago
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you @ Laura - yes they are a bit too dark for the room. I think charcoal grey/slate would be the darkest I could get away with
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @emma. Thank you. I have emailed them for prices as neither company have pricing on their website (rather worrying )
  • Jonathan Porter
    5 years ago

These Italian tiles are very similar and have pricing on the website and UK stock

http://www.continentalceramica.co.uk/timeless-black-deep-natural/

Or these are similar and very striking as well.

http://www.continentalceramica.co.uk/onyx-shadow-natural/

I put some material stones 04 in my bathroom and they are really good quality and finish.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

• PRO
    Floors of Stone
    5 years ago

Hello,

We sell a Spanish marble called Nero Marquina which is similar to the one in your photo: https://www.floorsofstone.com/our-tile-range/marble-tiles/nero-marquina-polished-marble

We also have a porcelain replica, which could work: https://www.floorsofstone.com/our-tile-range/porcelain-tiles/nero-polished-porcelain

Both are polished options though whereas the ones in your image look matt so they may not be quite right. We offer a free sample service, so you can at least have a look to see if they would work for you.

Good luck with your search!

Sophie // Floors of Stone

• E D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I quite like both those Floors of Stone examples.

Interestingly, the marble tiles are porcelain with a thin layer of marble veneer. Reminiscent of the way engineered wood is made.

Are they as durable as solid marble or porcelain?

• PRO
    Floors of Stone
    5 years ago

Thank you ED!

Porcelain backed marble is becoming much more popular, especially with architects and specifiers. The porcelain back with marble veneer means the tiles are much lighter than a solid marble, so they can be used in more environments. Due to the lighter weight, it makes them more suitable for use on walls and a lot easier to install and for the tiler to handle. The porcelain back makes the tiles stronger, so easier for the tiler to cut meaning there's less wastage.

It also means that the tiles are more cost-effective than a solid marble. Once they're laid and grouted, you cannot tell it's a porcelain backed tile, so you get the look of solid marble at a fraction of the price! We can source the solid Nero Marquina, but it is very expensive and out of the price range for most of our customers.

I hope that answers your question.

Sophie // Floors of Stone

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got a price from Minoli but I am outside of their delivery zone so it's going to cost another £50 just for delivery and I don't need that many tiles. Although they are so beautiful so I will wait to get the sample and see what they are like :).

thanks for the other links - I am open to others now as I can't spend any longer trying to find the ones above, so will check them all out!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Out and about in Preston and we found these tiles. Can get them in a matt finish which is better for our small bathroom

A lovely mixed grey and white tile. Thinking - would it look ok with a white shower tray as struggling to find the right grey toned tray??
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Dono if white will be a bit too much! Depends on the rest of the room, Villeroy and Boch do some nice low level trays with great choice of finish!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    There is a lot of white streaks in the grey marble and we will have matt white tiles and walls so I was hoping it would look ok
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Beano might be out of our price range as I know that company are expensive but do some amazing pieces
  • Victoria
    5 years ago

Lovely tiles, Tani

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    As long as you have some other white to tie in with the tray it will look great as those tiles look well :-) the shower tray with a bit of discount is @ 800 I think! I’d say whatever you get it will look fantastic as your have similar taste to me from your ideas book! Lol
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, @Beano thank you! We will go for a nicer tray in the main bathroom downstairs which guests will use so I will check those out.

@Victoria thank you! Little bit worried they might be overkill and too fussy for such a small space?? Also these are polished and if I order the matt ones, I won’t have any idea what they might look like as they are not cheap
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Hi tani :-)

Get them to order a Matt sample before you commit, if they don’t I’m sure there are others that will! Matt will look better I think, it’s what I’d go for! Personally I think they will look great.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

just bumping this thread as I managed to finally find some and will add photos from my phone. and I LOVE them! :)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Looking foward :-) bathroom finished?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ Beano - just some minor things to finish ie trims around the edge of the WC wall where it’s been clad and the inset box on that wall as well.
    The shaved point needs to go on the sink wall as well but they messed it up by not putting a back box in so the ruler tiled around the wires and now the tile has to be pulled off to get cut down. Urgh. I have no spare tiles either as all from Italy, so it’s a nightmare. Mess it up and I will cost me another £100 or so!

Also the shower door - going to cost nearly £500 so waiting to do that, lol.

Oh and the door needs painting and trims doing but it won’t get done now until the extension is all water tight as that is the main priority.

Love my en suite though.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Must say.....that looks fantastic, your unit and sink look great too, great use of space, love the inshot with the toilet too! Tiles look fantastic, well done, done well on time front too, mine took me about 5 months! Enjoy :-)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you :0)

Really pleased with it. Just hope they still do the same tiles when I move next as I want them again, ha ha ha
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Ps could a shave point be retro fitted under the sink unit? Shame to mess those tiles up and remember you prob got a batch lot, will a new one be the same shade? Below the unit would be nicely hid away too!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I wish! No because the ruler gouged a hole out of it already. Could be surface mounted and drilled onto the tile and then I could cut little bits of spare tiles around it - or put a shelf over it to disguise it.
  • lloyd_nicky
    5 years ago
    Tani I love your en-suite, where did you get the tiles from in the end? Do you have a link? Also where is the vanity unit from? has it been made to fit your space?
    I love the whole thing and want to replicate it in my ensuite, it looks fabulous!
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

It looks really lovely, Tani!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks all!

The vanity was made to measure. Just a wooden floating frame which we covered in tiles. Couldn't find a vanity to fit as this was less than 300 deep and about 1100 wide.

The tiles we got from a company in Preston called ROCCIA www.roccia.com - they also have a place in Bolton but not sure if they deliver outside of the area. The tile was called Pantheon Marble (antique) by Cerim. Not found any other suppliers. Comes from Italy in all size formats. I got the 300 x 600 and they did them for about £45psqm.

Similar ones we found from Mandarin stone were almost identical but didn't have quite as many streaks in. In fact I bought a full sized sample and had to use some of it for the skirting behind the WC and you can't really tell the difference at that angle. They are on sale now so a similar price (they were almost £60 psqm when i looked to buy them!) https://www.mandarinstone.com/product/mimica-sepia-grey-matt/ 

they are mostly grey but in some lights at a certain time of day, they can have just the very very slightest brown tinge but it's barely noticeable either.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ps this is the sink we bought which is nice and cheap. Seems to have gone up in price though (probably due to all the bad packaging and breakages! The first one they sent just floating in an empty box which arrived craked in two. LOL) https://soak.com/en-gb/camila-counter-top-basin/CA1013.html

• Patrina
    5 years ago
    Looks Fab