Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What categories of discussions would YOU like to see on Houzz?

Emily H
9 years ago
If you were to imagine more categories of discussions to participate in, what would you like to see?

Tell us below!

https://www.houzz.com/photos/228-pendleton-road-farmhouse-exterior-atlanta-phvw-vp~6564338

Comments (73)

• hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Like the "pub" idea and "DIY" ideas.
    Emily H thanked hatetoshop
  • PRO
    Our Town Plans
    9 years ago
    For all you folks who want to see more small space designs, keep in mind that it can be hard to take pictures in small spaces ;-)
    Emily H thanked Our Town Plans
  • User
    9 years ago
    1. DIY Help and Discussion, not just limited to design and decorating, so including DIY-able plumbing and electrical, basic home repairs, painting, etc.

2. Landscaping and gardening
    Emily H thanked User
  • Ali
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    DIY tips on everything electrical, plumbing, painting...the basics. I just learned how to switch out an exterior light fixture from another website. Perhaps this may sound silly but I never knew how and how simple it was. :D

I too think more creative designs for small spaces...baby boomers are downsizing everyday, the younger generation are buying their first (starter) homes and not everyone can afford those big luxurious homes.
  • Ali
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    What Verve said! :)
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    Design on a few dimes.
    Emily H thanked pickyvicky
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Solutions for downsizing challenges. I will no longer work with clients who are trying to figure out how to fill their mansions. Show me the people who are trying to make a small space work for them and look awesome at the same time.

Repurposing rooms and items, where to shop and what to look for.

Add more explanations and reasons why recommendations are made - using the principles & elements of design. This knowledge can then be carried over into the client's next project.

Set up a DIY, written by designers, addressing things like: how to fill a bookcase, how to develop a gallery wall, how to place objects on a tabletop landscape, how to achieve an eclectic space, what can I do with this collection of plastic fruit, etc. Of course, I realize that most of us would not agree on solutions to these design questions. That's ok.

It would be so helpful if there was a basic, mini CAD-system-type-thing available at Houzz for us to use in the threads in the dilemmas. Could be accessible by a password.
    Emily H thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    Sandy what an excellent idea for the mini cad type system!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hi Denita! Long time no see.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    Hi jn3344! I've been really busy this summer. Haven't had time to browzz houzz :)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Several people have mentioned small spaces and I think that's an important topic. I recently downsized to a condo and had trouble finding specific pieces of furniture that would fit well and look nice. So, I measured, designed and drew what I wanted and hired a professional wood worker to create my pieces to scale. Then I painted them. It was a great way to get exactly what I needed.

I think artisan work is a special topic. Professionals create so many unique things, from wood works, iron works, tile back splashes, pottery, lighting, mirrors....and the list goes on!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    How about "chat room for conversations having nothing to do with design"...that way I don't have to pop in for a look.
  • summilux
    9 years ago
    When looking in on Houzz, I'm drawn to articles that feature libraries, workspaces, shops or other spaces that the occupants are so nutty/passionate/engaged in that it drives the design/use of the dwelling. I also very much enjoy DIY articles and contribute to those as I think that producing rather than consuming should be supported. If you have a bit of yourself in your home, it's more likely that you will want what you have, rather than have what you want. (great NYT article a couple of weeks ago)
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    @summilux- Ah, Salem, OR..wish I was there! Well, actually more towards Silverton. I've got friends out there.
  • summilux
    9 years ago
    @RVCW- Silverton's great!
  • Mark
    8 years ago

A little less complex navigation would be nice. But generally? More DIY ideas.

• Roberto Fortuno
    7 years ago
    I would like more polls about furniture and decoration ideas
  • PRO
    KOBE Range Hoods
    7 years ago

Kitchen Appliances

• User
    7 years ago

There are lots of articles, but they can be hard to find because of the current search engine.

• sootsprite
    7 years ago
    COLOR! I would love to have a "Stories" category of color education articles and a discussion category in "Advice" for real-life practice in choosing and coordinating colors.
  • lulu
    7 years ago
    Traditional house from other cultures
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    More about color combos. How to start a room and proportions of colors.
  • mramsey
    7 years ago

How about a regional shop & swap?

• User
    7 years ago

We tried that. Didn't fly. Could try again.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love to see all the posters sharing ideas. Some of them quite good, but I think there would be an advantage to having a separate "Ask the Pros" section to differentiate the responses.

Also if Houzz could make an effort to bring all the separate forums of the GardenWeb House Forums together with Houzz Design Dilemma, then it's easier for posters to select a topic of interest.

• Gail Cupp Turner
    7 years ago
    I think it would be great to have a forum for product reviews! Like ovens, cooktops, frig, washer, dryer, Toliets, carpet, etc.
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    7 years ago
    I second Beverly's idea Of Ask A Pro.
  • User
    7 years ago

That old croc again?

• User
    7 years ago

Oasis and Beverley

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

What this thread taught me, was that the difference in outlook between pro and op can often be somewhat similar to the differences between man and woman; that misunderstandings can occur in a "Mars and Venus" scenario:

Muse (aloud) on most any topic to a man, and the assumption on the part of the man is that you want an answer, a solution........despite your screaming to please just shut up, "I am simply thinking. OUT LOUD"

A woman will very often completely understand, and "think with you".....and this can go on for days or even years.

The pro goes ( a generality) right to solution /solved/move along!!! and the op may linger to "work on it" for three years... ....

I leave you all to duke that out, yet again lol

• User
    7 years ago

ROFL,.,!!!!.,!!!!!!!!!?

• PRO
    Monte Cristo Ironworks
    6 years ago

I also like the idea of a separate "Ask the Pros" section.

• PRO
    Blinds-US
    6 years ago

I would love to paticipate in blinds and shades section !!

• PRO
    Master Blinds
    6 years ago

Discussion regarding construction can be a part.

• Kim KP
    6 years ago
    I’m new here and this would not be a discussion, but it would be very helpful to have some sort of tutorial that provided newbies like me info on how best to navigate Design Dilemma. What sort of pics should be posted? What are the best questions to ask?
    Additionally, it would be great if when you have a new comment and clicked on the notification it would take you directly to that comment rather than scrolling and scrolling all the way through the post. I’ve seen posts with thousands of comments and can’t imagine having to scroll through all of those. Forgive me if I’ve overstepped, but I’m a marketing director and just notice things like that :)
  • Kim KP
    6 years ago
    I’m new here and this would not be a discussion, but it would be very helpful to have some sort of tutorial that provided newbies like me info on how best to navigate Design Dilemma. What sort of pics should be posted? What are the best questions to ask?
    Additionally, it would be great if when you have a new comment and clicked on the notification it would take you directly to that comment rather than scrolling and scrolling all the way through the post. I’ve seen posts with thousands of comments and can’t imagine having to scroll through all of those. Forgive me if I’ve overstepped, but I’m a marketing director and just notice things like that :)
  • ngcurt
    6 years ago
    Please do NOT create an Ask A Pro section! I think a big part of the value here is that we non-pros can provide our experiences and opinions while also learning from the pros. If you added a section like that, your "regular" community will simply disappear
  • Caroline Brown
    5 years ago
    Paint colors
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

"How Not To Do Things" that would be a good category to add.

• Nucky Thompson
    4 years ago

A “non judgemental ask a question about design or plants or diy or craft area” often I find myself wanting to ask questions here but dread the judgemental self proclaimed “pros” that assume no one but them know anything or are beginners when sometimes it’s just we aren’t as experienced but don’t need to be put down

• Lora Strine
    4 years ago

Honesty about Houzz reviews for PROS.

The Internet is full of BS reviews. I would like to see Houzz and the users discuss how to make reviews truthful and useful.

I hired a five star Houzz builder who is giving me tons of BS. Anytime anything is wrong he says “I wanted it that way.” He is refusing to tell me when he will finish my project.

I will never believe a Houzz review of a PRO again unless you/we change the system.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I don't care for "Ask a Pro". Love our pros...but it doesn't take much to designate yourself a "pro". And so many of the pop-up pros (you know, the ones who say, "Sure! Shiplap would look great on your backsplash! And here's our phone number for design services if you're in our area!" will now have a home). And then does that mean that qualified, smart non-pros with real-world experience now can't comment in that forum?

Personally, I think that dumb answers are made obvious by further answers in a thread, and the issue is not that there's too many answers in a single thread. OPs can already tell which responses are made by Pros.

• Daniel OConnell
    4 years ago

1) Psychology of color, especially as it relates to interiors. Having grown up in sub-zero Montana, I am always amazed at homes in cold climates that have white rooms, especially bathrooms, where one should have a feeling of warmth. 2) It seems every new house built in a pricey neighborhood has to have humongous square footage. I'd like to see some nice, new, smaller homes (up to 3,000 sq.ft.) built in pricey neighborhoods. 3) More emphasis on DIY as opposed to professionally done jobs.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Cooking discussion, post pictures of dishes that users make :-)

• Danielle Gottwig
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It would be interesting to have more articles, and / or a discussion space, that details specific, practical advice for decorating "normal houses" and "normal rooms": that is, the kinds of spaces that often appear in condos, apartments, and small to medium sized middle class homes. Advice for working with existing elements in a room that one may not want or be able to rip out and replace is also useful to many.

Thing is, so many inspiration photos and examples are set in very high end residences that have unusual features, expansive rooms, and access to enviable renovation budgets. It can be hard to apply design concepts when the space pictured is just so dissimilar. Likewise, it would be interesting to know what pros work with smaller projects and houses.

• PRO
    RBIC HOME
    3 years ago

I totally agree Danielle, we need to turn more to lower budgets and easy tips, that will be helpful and can be applied with everyone. We do work for small projects and I must say, there is a lot of fun.

• Sandra P
    last year

I would like to discuss water garden concerns, ideas with others who have built their own.

• Daniel OConnell
    last year

Since I last posted in this discussion two years ago, we in California have been ordered to greatly reduce our outdoor watering. I'd like to see more landscape options that don't feature grass and lots of thirsty plants, such as more use of rocks and drought tolerant plants.

• jillannbrodd
    12 months ago

Discussions on lighting interior of glass cabinets. Strip lights installed just at the top or run strip lighting down the sides of cabinets, especially if not using glass shelves. How to hardwire strip lights with dimmers AND timers.