Houzz Logo Print
annelyse74

Need help with Ensuite: To step or not to step

annelyse74
9 years ago
I am renovating an existing ensuite in a house built sometime in the 70-80s. It is an on a hill so is split level with areas of the house having 4 steps up/down. I have a dilemma with the current layout and plumbing of the ensuite.
The ensuite is 2520mm x 1820mm with the door on the narrow end of the room and the toilet facing the door, directly opposite. (see fig. A) This is also directly opposite the main bedroom door. This means you can stand at the end of our foyer (at our bedroom door) and stare straight onto the toilet. Not good Feng Shui, I am sure!! To move the toilet will cost a lot of $$$ and require us to go through council, access the sewer (more $$$) and cut through a slab. Consequently, my hubby has given a resounding 'NO' to moving the toilet. Never one to give up easily.....
Our house is in quite an upmarket suburb and we need to have some sort of 'WoW' in the ensuite (and the kitchen, and the main bathroom, and the...you get the idea). As the ensuite cannot accommodate a tub I have a few options. I figured my next best compromise was a double/couple's shower. To do this I have a couple of options:

Option 1) Steal some room from the bedroom entry (which could easily be afforded space wise), lengthening the bathroom. The door then would be moved, with a cavity slider added, a double shower added and the toilet remaining where it is. This would result in the sliding door (installed in the common wall between the ensuite and bedroom) looking into the ensuite NOT the toilet. It would add a days labour (approx $400), plus the cost of cavity slider, and materials (approx $600) plus cutting the slab to plumb a drain. These would be the bigger costs. I have two layouts in mind if we went this route. (see fig. B and fig.B alternate) The ensuite would then be 3250mm X 1820mm.

Option 2) Raise the level of the floor approx 190mm and then I can have any layout I wish as the existing toilet waste can be accessed. In which case I would probably go for the layout in fig. C. (We have 3.5m ceilings so raising the level of the floor is not an issue. In fact, we are going to add a false ceiling at 2.5m as the ensuite currently feels cavernous.)

So, if I put in a step I can probably have a far nicer layout for the ensuite for less $$.

How do we feel about a step UP into the ensuite?

Alternatively I keep the existing layout and look at the toilet from the foyer, or build out into the bedroom and add a cavity slider.

HELP!! Hope this makes sense and you can give me some feedback/advice/things to think about. I am after the best bang for my buck but do not want to overcapitalise

Comments (8)