Houzz Logo Print
4aya

Needing a WOW factor for our living room

4aya
8 years ago
We've just bought a 20+ year old house. It's small but just enough for our family. My husband and I fell in love with mid-century modern style interior design so we started buying furnitures from different sources/sites even before we moved in to our new home. But when I tried to put them together I couldn't seem to give our living area a WOW factor or there's not one furniture that catches your eye to admire it.

I think another problem is the carpet that we chose so I'm planning to change it. Any suggestions?

Would also appreciate if you could suggest a wall art decor. I also don't know what kind and colour of TV unit to buy to balance and give a modern twist.

For purposes of clarity, the lounge is in neutral or wheat colur, the 2 arm chairs are parker in beige/yellow hue while the armless chair is white and blue checker-like. We personally chose yellow cushion to brighten the mood. Is that ok?

Please please help. Thank you in advance.

Comments (55)

• Rina Cigana
    8 years ago
    I just realised you do have a floor lamp. I couldn't remember it as I was typing. My apologies. This is the first time I have commented in this App. Like WUFF said, don't rush it. Take your time. I have bought and returned things because it can be hard to visualise sometimes. Good luck.
  • fianou
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Actually, your furniture is lovely. I think what makes it not sit right is that the rug is too small... you want it to frame the area so that all the seating sits on the rug. I think it will all look much better on a larger rug. Go for something with some pattern.

Also I think you need a great collection of eclectic art on the wall to complete the style. It should be a combination of quirky illustrations, retro posters, photos, op shop finds... but really just keep an eye out for things you love. Mix up the frames. All lounge areas I have seen that really rock this style do that. The room needs some pattern, graphic pattern is often used like spots or chevrons or stripes. I think replace the cushions with some fine patterned cushions. Try and use soft furnishings and fabrics from the era to tie it all together.

4aya thanked fianou
  • Related Discussions

need help with our living/dining room

Q

Comments (10)
    On a budget I would just add identical frames with pictures around the TV. 2 on the sides and 4 along the top. I like the clean lines of the current TV stand but it would look better against your floors and with your furniture if it was painted a dark brown. I think a round side table next to the chair would look very nice and tie in with the ottoman. Other options would be to create a built in for the TV with shelves on either side. Or you could also add an electric or gas fireplace and put the TV above the fireplace.
    ...See More

Our new living room and couch chosen

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm with Sharon, and was going to suggest black & white zig zag! Something that will make a statement in the room! You also might want to think about introducing some fresh new yellow tonal cushions to compliment the black & white rug, and irregular placed wall art (like Sharons pic) good luck!
    ...See More

Our living room renovation!

Q

Comments (8)
    Its tough with narrow rooms. I would have set the TV where the wooden shelves are next to the doorway. That way you can place the couch further back and not break your neck looking up at the TV. Dark flooring was interesting since the room already looks very dark.
    ...See More

Complete overhaul of our Living room!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi there. How lucky are you to be able to redo an area for yourself. The floors are great as that will bring a real modern feel to the house. Make sure you keep it light and bright as you said the home is small and small homes can look very tiny with large furniture and dark colours. The blue sofa will be a striking and very comfy addition to the room. West elm is great with rugs as is pottery barn but west end is a little modern (they are owned by the same place). Try to add white side tables with striking blue decor to make the sofa pop more. If budget allows i would change the table to a gorgeous light wood. Add some amazing cushions to add the homely feel best of luck
    ...See More
  • fianou
    8 years ago

Also consider replacing the vertical blinds with a nice set of curtains! They detract from the look.

• fianou
    8 years ago

Try using a low line buffet in a similar style for the tv unit.

And maybe something like this on the wall as well as some simple pot plants.

4aya thanked fianou
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    8 years ago

I personally would leave the vertical blinds. The vertical space is essential in good design, and is often left out - both in interior and exterior design.

On the LHS of the first 3 photos, where there is a void between the chairs, I would use a standard lamp - something bigger than what you have with a turquoise lamp shade. If you can't find one, have a cover made for your existing shade. If not a standard lamp, then a tall indoor plant.

Against the wall where the TV is positioned why not consider a built in set of shelves, the same height as the white unit running the full length of the wall - the shelving being of various sizes for storage and nick knacks. You will need a proper timber base to it - not the tiles. Use the top of this for the TV and other decor items. And then 3 paintings on the wall picking up colours in the room, or go for a red/orange theme.

It's already on the way to looking really good.

• Rina Cigana
    8 years ago
    Timandra, the vertical blinds are out of date, don't you think. Not to mention the wrong colour.
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

The furniture is lovely but the arrangement is not expressive and modern because it is huddled around the smallish rug. The yellow cushion is already lifting the mood of your furniture's more muted tones. More MCM pattern & a punch of rusty red/orange, lime/citrus & turquoise is good medicine I feel.

Panama Wave Cushion · More Info

Your vertical space just needs something on the wall behind the sofa to start with and maybe a statement lamp in place of your current one.

LED has Evolved · More Info

If you add a couple of MCM statement pieces & more colour/pattern repeated through your cushions and decor items plus the tv cabinet...then I think you will start to find confidence in the space.
    Mid 20th Century Australian Design Furniture · More Info

Please start an idea book and then go to "Photos", "Mid Century Modern", "Living" and save what inspires you as WOW! to this idea book.

• PRO
    Creative Bricks
    8 years ago

Hi, I don't have the eye of a designer, but there is no question that the walls need something if you want a wow factor. The part of the wall that appeals to me is the column between the TV and the kitchen - particularly if you end up with a built in bookshelf on the rest of the wall.

These mortarless brick tiles might work for you. They are very textured and certainly the Sevilla colour would probably go with the rest of your colouring. This is the product pictured below. They may help add the modern twist you seek.

4aya thanked Creative Bricks
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dear All,
    Thank you so much for all your comments and invaluable suggestions/ recommendations. I feel so inspired now and I can't wait to take them on board. I love all the sample photos and those who have their own sites and book ideas.

I'll send update photos once I've incorporated all the ideas. Please keep them coming and continue to inspire me. Once I gain confidence I'd love to do the same and inspire others too
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    I agree with a lot of other comments. I love your beautiful MCM furniture. I would definitely lose the verticals and find a BIG statement rug. Then you can experiment with furniture placement.
    4aya thanked cloudpants
  • Connie
    8 years ago

i am sorry, but i think the furniture placement is wrong too-it makes me feel like waiting in a doctors surgery. definately need a bigger rug, and that where i would inject some colour. maybe a colurful pouffe or 2, ditch the tv cupboard, and try to hide those tiles. and pot plants. love your furniture though. a great starting point.

4aya thanked Connie
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    8 years ago

Connie is right in the extent that the placement is not quite right. With a bigger rug, the smaller chairs could be opened out, more in a V which is definitely more inviting.

I love pot plants; my home is full of them. But go for bigger pots with big plants in them to fill the voids. And don't over-water inside pots - its the commonest cause of failure.

4aya thanked Timandra Design & Landscaping
  • d. steel
    8 years ago

so you like the mid century design thing, cool, I totally see it. "looks too much like a doctors surgery waiting room"....ummm, that's the look! The verticle blinds...don't fit?....wrong colour"? With those pink walls and timber trims they're perfect to enhance the mid century modernist aesthetic you like. retro but not quite kitsch.

keeping it all simple and affordable and fun I'd do this.....

1: rug..smaller, brighter, colourful and round. Smaller and round so that it can be seen as a whole and be its own feature point, a centre focus to the room. a partner to the rectangular coffee table, around which the rectangular furniture sit in a square. (you already know what i'm talking about, i can see it with what you've placed on the coffee table.) it also allows the tiled floor to shine, with squares diagonal to the arrangement the circular/oval centre point can be placed so the diagonals radiate out through the furniture to those pink walls and verticle (are you all getting this?) blinds which are the backdrop to the round lamp (see 2). make it bright and colourful and it can be your wow factor item but it can then be used to coordinate with and bring "pop" to cushions and........

2: Lampshade. need something bolder. and move that piece of furniture away from that corner. let the lamp and vertical blinds do their thing in that corner, and their thing is making light a feature.

all this anti vert blinds is fashion trend sentiment which seems to ignore the style brief. the light through those blinds is the highlight of your photo. their colour and the colour of those walls would be god-awful were it not for the way they are designed to work together with the timber architraves carrying the pink around the room with the skirting boards. and I'd still hate it if it were not for the style you are trying to achieve which allows it to shine.

3: Picture on main wall (something like a klee print? whatever works)

4: Tv/ wall unit? Modern twist? Hell no!!! The tv is the modern twist! Time to cruise those second hand stores (yay!)

My Houzz: Decorating a Mid-Century Robin Boyd Home · More Info

4aya thanked d. steel
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

Dear bizemail could you please clarify whether your walls are pink or is that the colour of the light coming through the vertical drapes?

Just curious, as you say "We've just bought a 20+ year old house" so are those diagonal tiles original to your house too?

4aya thanked LouieT
  • PRO
    Nicole's Interior Creations
    8 years ago

I dont know if anyones suggested this but id use a really funky wallpaper on the large wall.u can still have mirrors and shelving over it.that would definitely bring the wow into the room!! Also no verticals different mat as well....

4aya thanked Nicole's Interior Creations
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dear Louise,

First of all thank you so much for all your suggestions/ recommendations. The house is in its original state. The wall paint colour is pinkish (that's why the vertical blinds are the darker version of it)/ The diagonal tiles are also original. We just removed the lacey light green curtains over the vertical blinds.

We wanted to re-paint the walls with white or something cream and change the tiles to timber but our friends suggested to us to keep them for the moment and focus on the furnitures, which would save us a lot. We also wanted to change the blinds to horizontal white one. I actually haven't sent pictures of the 2 chandeliers at the living and dining rooms. We thought they make the ceiling much lower and we personally don't like them. We just don't have time yet to change them. But again our friends said they're nice so we're keeping them for the meantime.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Dear bizemail,

You are wise to take your time and budget allowing, you will develop your chosen style according to how you use the spaces. Your choice of furniture is timeless and be confident that you have very good taste! The yellow cushions are a great start to add some life and personality.

This is your home after all and while you get used to these new spaces just play with layouts and what you need will follow when you definitely know it is right. Just as the MCM furniture spoke to both of you so will the lights, rugs, decor etc. tug at you both.

Every room is built up with a series of layers starting with the basics of what you have, then what you are willing to change budget wise. Paint can really transform a room from cool to warm & dated to modern & fresh.

You have wise friends offering sound advice and lights, blinds or curtains can come later. One or two plants could help to soften and enhance your living room and are not expensive so be patient, have fun & enjoy the whole process.

4aya thanked LouieT
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    While looking for a perfect piece of carpet for the living room area, I've moved it to our dining area. I didn't show our dining area before because we're planning to change the table to a round Parker style one. At the moment I think the rug sits there better than in the living area.
    I've re-arranged the furniture to make it NOT look like a doctor's waiting area. I've also transferred the floor lamp on the left side and angled the telephone stand/ chair. I hope it's a little bit better now. I have 2 versions because one armchair has the sheepskin cover as it's winter. I hope it's ok and it gives a bit of texture.
  • Connie
    8 years ago

bizemail-i am sorry, i didnt mean to offend with my comment! I just meant it seemed a bit impersonal and formal...........i actually think the problem (2 me..) is the 2 chairs next to each other like that..i wonder if it would work by swapping out the armless one for one of them, and then angling them all slightly...more conducive to conversation, etc?

4aya thanked Connie
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Connie,
    Thanks for your honest comment and suggestion. It was actually the very first arrangement before but I thought it looked cluttered. But will give it a go again. I was thinking of putting the other armchair maybe in the study while looking for a round puoffe to break the rectangular shapes. Just thinking of blue hue to match the armless chair or yellow to match the cushions. Not sure if grey would also match.
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Appreciate your comments

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Hi bizemail, just a thought after looking back...do you need all the chairs facing the tv? In the earlier photo I posted they have the same number of chairs as you do, and the side tables are similar to your telephone table. Even the mix of colours is similar, could this layout work?

view from above · More Info

4aya thanked LouieT
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Louise.

I was thinking of how the furnitures would need to be when people watch TV instead of how they will gather and converse in the living area. Now I know it's wrong.

I got Connie's point when she commented that it looked like a doctor's surgery waiting area. Please let me reiterate, Connie, that I appreciate your honest feedback and I didn't get offended :) I think you just misinterpreted my response :)

Going back to the furniture arrangement, my husband actually liked it. I like it too but I have some concerns (1) like if it's practical to have to go around (the lounge) to go to the kitchen area. Because the picture above looks like the kitchen is where the free/walk area is (or bottom of the picture) which works well here. (2) If I move the couch away from the wall that would leave me a big blank wall. I'm not sure if I need to put the same wall decor should the couch is adjacent to the wall. But I'll definitely try it and send a photo of it for your comments.

Again, thank you everyone. Please keep them coming. I enjoy reading them and learning from you all.

• Kate
    8 years ago

Hi biz4email. I like the couch and the blue grey chair. I am not so keen on the two arm chairs in a living space. They seem to be a mismatch with both Color and comfort. It is better with the sheepskin as this softens so matches the cushion effect of the other pieces. Maybe they can be re- upholstered and then better suit both winter and Summer.

A fluffy (sheepskin) rug will complement the timber frames on the arm chair. Good luck.

4aya thanked Kate
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

I think for this other arrangement the tv stays in the alcove with the proposed new tv unit and a chair or two placed on the angle.

Modern Rustic Living Room · More Info

Try the two beige/yellow (mustard?) chairs angled either side of and facing away from tv.

A new larger rug to anchor all the furniture with the two seater staying where it is.

Straw · More Info
    A new poster/print/painting behind the two seater and a couple of smaller ones to colour your walls (these are not suggestions, just examples)
    Papercut Feathers · More Info

Deja Vu by Artem Bryl · More Info
    as well as some funky decor/shelves like the one fainou suggested above and a wall clock with some pottery & vases.
    Just play with it and I'm sure you will know what is right for you. The more you add your personality the more it will feel comfortable. Keep posting!

4aya thanked LouieT
  • njknjk
    8 years ago

i personally don't think there is ever a reason for vertical blinds. i would get rid of them and get curtains in a mid century print which incorporates the colours you have in the furniture. (suggestion below)but google lucien day to get lots of other ideas. reproductions are available) another issue are the tiles, which along with the vertical blinds are screaming mid nineties rather than mid fifties. if they aren't replaceable a larger rug would be a plus. great furniture though and i love the yellow cushions

4aya thanked njknjk
  • PRO
    Authentic Artworks - Jana McLeod
    8 years ago

Hi there, I am a fan of the Eames furniture here. I would love to help you out with an artwork if you would like, I aim to create works that are authentic and affordable. There are a few artworks available at the moment that suit the colour pallet in this room. I also do work on commission; where you can pick the price and I will work with you to create something that is right for your space and budget. You can contact me via my my website www.janamcleod.com if you are interested :) I'm very flexible as I believe everyone should have an original piece on their wall! Cheap courier delivery to most places in Australia via FastWay Couriers. Order tracking available. There is an artwork named 'Nocturne' on my website - I think this would give a nice wow factor ;) it is 1.16m x 1.16m

4aya thanked Authentic Artworks - Jana McLeod
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

How's the room coming along?

BTW spotted your lights in the newer photos, they are very fancy aren't they? As for now they stay until you ...work out the room arrangement and budget. Have you decided on the tv furniture yet? My suggestion above was not to move the 2 seater forward but I'm not sure if the room is wide enough to split the chairs and walk through the middle either.

Have you tried the telephone table behind the lounge (closer to the kitchen) & then maybe add a wall shelf/feature piece for there? This could be a nice arrangement allowing the telephone table it's own feature area and create some separation from the dining area, you could have a small lamp on there too.

If you bring the tall lamp back to the right of the 2 seater, & add another side table here for display items. Then a large art piece behind the sofa, have you found anything you like?

Is the front door on this side of the room to the right? Is there an entry wall to the right of the two corner windows?

My Houzz: Connecting Work and Play in South Australia · More Info
    This area needs a tall lush pot plant in front of the blinds & if you added a shelf unit against that wall to display any MCM finds perhaps with a nice rug to define the entry.

Mid Century Modern Living Room · More Info

Just some more photos found here on Houzz, have you started an idea book for yourself? They are really helpful to refer to.

4aya thanked LouieT
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Louise, thank you so much for your follow up and more suggestions. The 2 photos above are lovely. I've been trying different arrangements lately and will post them later. I just haven't got the time yet to choose the tv unit, wall art decor and carpet/rug due to a lot of commitments during weekends. I'm looking for a rug similar to the second photo above. I'm thinking it's got to be plain because our floor tiles have got a bit of design/pattern already.

The front door is behind the blinds. I'm not sure if I could move the sofa a bit forward and place a shelf behind it (just like the second photo) due to limited space.

I'll start my idea book soon. Thanks again.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Don't rush, these things take time :0

Get to know Houzz and what it offers & take away what you need.

4aya thanked LouieT
  • Kate
    8 years ago

I bought a round sheepskin rug a few years ago from a rug store on Doncaster east on Doncaster rd vic. I still love it but it is sheds lots of fluff.

• User
    8 years ago

Kate, you forgot to feed it and take it for walks.

• decodilema
    8 years ago

Could you try the two chairs on the side where the single sits now - to create more flow to the dining!!! And I think you need a large rug, as previous posters have said

Love the furniture by the way!!!!

4aya thanked decodilema
  • PRO
    Kachet
    8 years ago

Hi, if you're still in the market for a change in coffee table we make one that will give you a definite "wow" factor:

Tree table - small - bamboo · More Info

Just an idea to mix things up a bit! Would appreciate any feedback as we're just starting out, this is our first design.

4aya thanked Kachet
  • User
    8 years ago

Hi Katchet, that certainly works with the forest look that's all the go right now.

• Brad Ramm
    8 years ago

Can you replace the floor tiles with timber, paint the walls and replace the blinds.

4aya thanked Brad Ramm
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Katchet, that certainly is lovely. But at the moment we're not changing any of the furnitures yet.

• 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Brad, thank you for your suggestions. Those are actually our plans. But we'll take it slowly due to budget constraints. At the moment, we're starting with the rug first to cover the tiles. And then replace the vertical blinds with white horizontal one and keep the timber frame. We might start re-painting the walls during warmer months.

• PRO
    Authentic Artworks - Jana McLeod
    8 years ago

tip re: horizontal blinds on a budget - spotlight tends to have a 50% off and 70% off sale each year on their timber venetian blinds. I did my whole house under $1000 (10 x blinds floor length)

4aya thanked Authentic Artworks - Jana McLeod
  • PRO
    GL Hardesty
    8 years ago
    This room is screaming out for some art!
    4aya thanked GL Hardesty
  • susan_66
    8 years ago

Wall art (above the couch) - I'd celebrate suburban-ness with a great big Howard Arkley print - there's one on ebay at the moment called 'Riteroom' - or one of the exterior pieces (like 'Triple Fronted'). Will defintely add 'wow' and 'colour' - and I think would add a nice cheeky comment on the furniture

Or you can tie in more exactly to the period with a Nolan, (Russell) Drysdale, (Charles) Blackman or (Albert) Tucker print - I grew up in a mid-century house with a Blackman-inspired artwork that I found very creepy (the eyes tend to follow you!) - but they could be more to your own taste.

Or . . . find something else that you like from the period - movie posters? old theatre tickets? old sporting photos? magazine covers? vintage clothing? and use it as wall art.

This recent article

https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/9-everyday-items-youd-never-think-to-frame-stsetivw-vs~45495730

has lots of inspiration. These sorts of items will definitely give your room some 'wow' and create a talking point - and still fit with the overall style of the room.

Or . . . three plaster ducks, if you can find them?!

4aya thanked susan_66
  • 4aya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Jana McLeod, GL Hardesty and susan_66 :)

• row1row
    8 years ago
    How about a large round rug, some artwork on the wall and a floor lamp to the left of the couch ( one of those metal ones that curve in a large arc over the couch)
  • PRO
    New Leaf Design Studios
    8 years ago

The best way to finish off this room would be removing the vertical binds and replacing with curtains, then reupholstering the furniture in a fabric which coordinates with the curtains. I recently completed a similar project for a client and managed to get some fabulous patterned fabrics from Warwick which were 60's retro. Makes a huge difference!

• asquithoatley
    7 years ago

Statement rug and art for colour

Rug ideas

Surya Goa Hand Tufted Ivory Wool Rug, 9' x 13' · More Info

Dalyn Aloft AL14 Rug, Teal, 5'x7'6" · More Info

• hanayuki
    7 years ago

The vertical blinds MUST go. Sorry, but they are hideous and add nothing. Get some fabulous mid century fabric pattern in some gorgeous colours and make curtains. You can make a couple of scatter cushions also out of this fabric. Then pick out your favourite colour from the fabric to add some plain cushions. If you have gone with the patterned rug option such as asquithoatley has suggested, then just pick out the gentler colour for plain curtains to compliment the rug. Either way then choose cushions using any, or all of these colours. Then you should look for some decorative items in these colours such as beautiful bottles that might pick up an aqua, or some lamps with bases that colour to put on a side board. For the wall I suggest that you look on ebay in mid century modern and see if any wall sculptures attract you. There was quite a fad for enamelled metal wall sculptures back in the 60s which would add some life. Try to find one that also incorporates one of the pattern colours. Susan_66 made a great suggestion with a Howard Arkley print of a mid century house. You might even find one that is similar to your house style which would be fun. Happy hunting. You have some good pieces and they will work well with a bit of fun fabric or rug to link them.

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    7 years ago
    Society 6 have some great art pieces at affordable prices which supports the artists...

https://society6.com/framed-prints
  • tessaway
    3 years ago

The TV and stand don’t fit very well. I would like to see TV on a table like the coffee table. A large potted plant or just large pot one side of TV and accent chair angled on the other. A fluffy or textured rug thrown over one of the chairs. Maybe a tall lamp or tall narrow display cabinet somewhere to give height interest.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

This is an old post