Houzz Logo Print
em_t2

Suggestions for lounge room revamp

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm struggling with what to do with my loung, it's an odd shape with little real wall space. I intend to keep the chairs, but reupholster them. The walls desperately need to be painted. Not sure of anything else at this point, any suggestions welcome :)

Comments (50)

• 8 years ago
    Clearly not before and after, but I can seem to change it!
  • 8 years ago

Hi Emma, I've changed it for you!

Emma thanked Gioenne Rapisarda
  • Related Discussions

What do other Houzzers think of my lounge room colour scheme?

Q

Comments (82)
    Ok, don't like the dark cushion, don't like the TV in the bedroom. You could go for pendant lighting using the same 'material' as the mirror? If you went for larger beside lamps while you have that mirror there, they would be fighting each other. In the programs I watch, they say to have 'a hero in the room'. In this case the mirror is the hero I think. Also the extra throw cushion for the bed could match one on the chair, so it ties in (or don't have one at all on the bed). If you did need a TV what about having one installed on the wall to the right of the chair,(looking at the photo) and make sure it can swivel out, so when you aren't watching TV in bed it can be against the wall, out of the way. Then you can have a lovely (glass) ornament or two, or a bunch of flowers sitting on it along with your photos. I love how you have your bed dressed, spot on! (without the dark cushion) I absolutely adore the blue shades in the duvet cover and I would draw those out into the room. Love that you have opened up your windows in the lounge. Maybe a throw rug and some colourful (same colours as in the duvet cover on your bed) cushions on the lounge suite as nothing is really popping! There doesn't seem to be any colour except for the flowers and the photos. Colourful paintings on the wall would be lovely too. Maybe the potted plants could be in coloured (as in your duvet cover) pots instead of white. I know you weren't asking about the lounge and if you are happy with it, then that is all that matters. Well done.
    ...See More

Help with revamping living room

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, I agree, remove the vertical blinds, replace with some natural coloured or white sheers, add a 'golden' Palm, a stone coloured shaggy rug and cushions in stone, willow cream tones. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Lounge Room Refresh

Q

Comments (35)
    Jeepers this room needs help. One of those curved lamps would work well in the corner, or a cluster of small pendants. A round or rectangular table at the left hand end of the sofa with a vase of flowers and framed photographs would give a 'come-hither' appeal. A coffee table with art books and decorative items would be better than the round poof. A complete change in cushion covers to bring the whole place to life and more artwork on the walls. An interesting chair would work well too. Happy thoughts.
    ...See More

Any suggestions on redecorating this lounge/dining area?

Q

Comments (20)
    I think Julies artwork/suggestions are great and you've done well with some changes. I suggest taking a lot of furniture out of the room, and only bring in selected pieces. You have too many now, running around the walls. Learn to 'rest' things or move them on. Hang the TV then discard the TV stand, then use that occasional table to hide cabling. Go to garage sales and look for a nice light fitting. Dont keep furniture because someone you love owned it. They only went down the shop and bought it themselves.
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

2 comments and I am already lost. What is your measurement system? How has Gioenne changed it? Do you own? or do you rent? Do you feel you need the dining room?

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

Measurements are in Metres. Gionne moved it from before and after. We own. The "dining room" is teeny tiny, all I have in there is a desk cause you can't fit a table of a decent size. See why I need advice?? :)

• 8 years ago

It's only myself and Hubby, we have a big dining table in what is called the "family room" on the plans and is on the left of the kitchen. The entry is the width of the single front door. It is mostly the area marked as lounge on the plans that I want to change as currently we dont use it a lot, I use it mainly for reading..

• 8 years ago

Can you take out the half wall between dining room and lounge? That would make the area more usable. Then, new flooring in the dining room to tie it together,. You might think about replacing the sofa with a couple of chairs as well.

Emma thanked jmm1837
  • 8 years ago

then why do the dining room at all, don't be stuck with the names on the sheet. Make a library or bar or music room in that dining room, maybe an office? If you want a formal dining space you can haul tables out? just trying to give more space to lounge.

Ok, so you don't need a tv in the lounge right? Is there glass in the wall to the foyer? What do you intend to do in the lounge, you say you read in it. Why not turn all the space in to Library and art? the 2 comfy chairs, a small table in the lounge or dining room, like maybe a cafe table, 2 sit at for coffee or paperwork with nonfriends. You know, the insurance man, tax acct., donations, that kind of stuff.

Are you keeping the couch? Do you have a material in mind for the chairs? How big is the front window? Oh I know, I sound like I am picking you to death, but all will be asking this. If it were my space, I would eliminate the dining room put half book shelves everywhere for books then hang the top of all walls with art. But is that agreeable to you? Oh yes, I forgot budget? I think I already know your colors. Blues, white, gray, right? Talk soon! the rest of the gang should be in before you know it.

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

Am certainly happy to digress from names on the sheet, that's the original house plan from 15 years ago. It was the best illustration I had for the shape of the room.

The couch is going and I am keeping the chairs as I've just bought them, thanks Jim. It was their fault that I decided the whole room needed something!!

The window is big - about 2 metres (about 7 feet) almost square.

Library and Art sounds right up my alley! You are spot on with the colours. No TV in the lounge. No need with books right?? :) I love the idea of extra book shelves.

There's no glass in the wall to the foyer, it's a strange little gap in the wall.

Currently in the "dining room" space I have a desk, I'll try to take photos later. That room also has a set of glass "french" doors that lead out to my patio.

Oooh the B word.. hmm, I'm happy to spend some for a new rug, painting, bookshelves and new upholstery for the chairs. But I'm not talking structural renovation at this point, does that give an idea? I think eventually removing the small wall with be on the cards, just not at the moment, I think that will cost too much especially with redoing the tiled floor in the "dining" area.

• 8 years ago

think you can make or find stained glass for that spot, no fuzzy children I guess, how about a largish sculpture or a nice vase for flowers? or do an unusual shelf arrangement, various glass, either colored or cut crystal?

so library and art sounds like the ticket. If you do not have a lot of guests to formally entertain you just stick with those adorable chairs, how unusual they are never saw any quite like those! Now on my screen they appear to be a rusty color pattern. it is very nice, not appealing to you? If not lets start with that and the opening to the entrance way. no? Want me to look for some shelf ideas, or you know what you want already?

• 8 years ago
    Current "dining" room set up.

Yep they are a rusty colour, I love the pattern but the springs / stuffing is gone and I'm not sure if the current material will withstand being pulled apart.
  • 8 years ago
    I do have a couple of furry kids they are elderly, 15 and 17.

Shelves are a good start I think. :)
  • 8 years ago

are they going to hop on the shelves?

• 8 years ago

unfortunately this is a standing shelf. But if you all are creative, you can build this in your wall opening?

Bookcase Search Results | Overstock.com, Page 1 · More Info

• 8 years ago

i have another idea, that I think is cool, i am very big into hacking/diying to get what I want. So you have to use imagination sometimes.

take this:

one example of pattern

MD Building Products 12 in. x 24 in. Union Jack Aluminum Sheet in Silver-56008 - · More Info
    sheet example-of which there are many types, used to cover radiators and grills to vents etc.
    MD Building Products 12 in. x 24 in. Union Jack Aluminum Sheet in Silver-56008 - · More Info

this is called pressed or punched metal, comes in various colors and materials.

You affix this to the open space, add shelf clips, place glass shelves on it. use under cabinet lights, place items on shelves and you will get this light drama from the glass, without everyone who comes to the door starting in your home. good?

• 8 years ago

ok, unless you have a good source for wall shelves in your country, can you tell me where you are, so I can help look? Oh, and is the tall shelf finished or is it au natural? If not finished, how do you plan on finishing?

• 8 years ago
    The tall shelf is au naturel at present, not sure of course. I love both of those ideas for the gap :) I'll have to do some measuring. The 17yo cat doesn't jump on shelves much anymore thank goodness!
    I'm in Australia
  • 8 years ago

so, yes, I am torn between which i like better, though I think second might be easiest handyman wise, no? I am going to use that same metal along with a flourescent light cover i will cut up to make an mcm light for my front door. I adore filigree type stuff. Oh yes, your room looks like it tends to be a little dark, no? Are you like north facing or something like that? How do you feel about some sort of overhead chandelier or pendent. i even know a couple hacks for them. i think it would just add some more grace to the room, we can go formal or cash...

• 8 years ago

did not think of that could put a lighting fixture in that space, like the one you saw in my ideabook. I put that in there, cause I can hack it it. Using the same metal I showed you. Also, I found this corner shelf of glass ($13, 95), so if you put the metal in back, clip one to the metal and one to the wall, then do that on both sides. then the next shelf up could be a straight one. do 2 or 3 rows like this. Could be cool! maybe you could make cheaper, clips not hard, it is the glass. Have you tried stained glass?, it is fairly easy to cut but, how much do you have to practise?

Floating Corner Shelves - Bathroom - GBM® Tile, Glass and Natural Stone · More Info

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

The design looks similar to a home we lived in many years ago - without the wall on right of front door and half wall across living/dining.

The dining room - we turned into a study and with a corner suite divided the rooms.

The living room (I call it the sitting room) had a bookcase against the kitchen wall, with one large chair angled with its back to front door. Those were the days when a planter pole was in vogue and that was the divide at the front door.

I would be removing the half wall dividing the two rooms - making the room look larger. New carpet throughout and your newly upholstered chairs; an occasional table and a bookcase. And don't forget some artwork on the wall where your bookcase currently sits.

Emma thanked kooky_karen
  • 8 years ago

Harvard Square Renovation · More Info

Lazy Susan Chain Link Mirror · More Info
    so, Emma, how are you coming along in the project. I lost you for a bit
    there. But I am back. i think i also saved another idea for that
    opening and I found some one for more book shelves if you like, I have
    to go rummage a bit, brain been burping much lately. no, could only find these two, will see if i can refind others.

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

here is one of them.

Baxton Studio Lindy Modern Display Shelf, 3-Tier · More Info
    I think 45 inches tall?

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

Sorry got caught up with work/life etc..

Thanks for your ideas kooky_karen

I am likingyour bookshelf ideas, I think the current one is too large for the space and makes the room look smaller.

Im off to a home show this weekend to look for ideas, might even drop into ikea.

First I am off to get rid of the couch! :)

• 8 years ago

what did you think of the one with the toys, might seem silly but there are lots of cool little stuff too. And maybe we could get larger ones. But yeah Ikea is a great place for everything. have fun. Don't forget the measurements.

• 8 years ago
    I like the idea of the one with the toys, it seems like a quite flexible arrangement that could carry across to the office side of the room. I saw a similar thing with cubes at ikea, i didn't like the cheap looking finish on them though.
  • 8 years ago

well, maybe you could do a different finish, but i was thinking in the window opening you have. Although such a thing would be nice other places if it is what you want. i thought you were doing tons of art? i figured we would try to find half book cases for the walls with art above, no? a couple foot rests for your chairs. then a table between the two. then your room would seem much larger and yet more cozy, no?

• 8 years ago
    Oh I see, the window opening is so small I forget about it!
    I thought of the hexagonal display as part art part bookcase..
    Though your explanation of a suggested room layout makes sense to me.
  • 8 years ago

yeah! Ok, so what i envision right now is the two chairs on the far wall, one actually in front of the pony wall the other on the back wall, angled towards each other. table and light between the two. two foot stools in front of them. then the tall case on the wall that backs the kitchen.

1/2 cases on either side of the window, does one fit under the window or not? Maybe one under that window to the foyer. Will this give enough room for the books?

Decisions to look at now:

Do you want an accent wall?

Have you found fabric for the chairs, or decided we need to work with what is on there.

what colors do you want for the paint?

• 8 years ago
    Ok, so what i envision right now is the two chairs on the far wall, one actually in front of the pony wall the other on the back wall, angled towards each other. table and light between the two. two foot stools in front of them. then the tall case on the wall that backs the kitchen - funny you should say that, I had it there originally, I think I'll rearrange the furniture so I can see..
    I have a half height bookcase in the room at present I'll shift so I can see that too.
    I think at the moment I am going to work with the fabric the chairs already have.
    I am thinking a feature wall, possibly navy/dark blue, not sure if it will make the room too dark... I have a colour for the other walls called tea and cream - I'd call it milky coffee
    does one fit under the window - under the foyer window one will, the big window goes floor to ceiling... I have a bench seat there ( under the foyer window) at the moment.
    More measuring required I think.
    Ps I found some cute hexagonal boxy things, $50 each! Bit pricey I thought
  • 8 years ago
    Below are a photo taken during the day, a bookcase use and with the chairs shifted to havingfuns suggestion, I didn't move the bookcase completely its heavy..oh and excuse the furry dog butt
  • 8 years ago

i think that the two chairs on the end wall looks good, no? Then you can look out the window if you wish, but don't have to. I love the box shelves, but are they not pricey? I was thinking of half shelves much like you already have, just on other walls so the tall one can go there?

i could not find tea and cream to work with. Saw one pic, calling it Wexler? or something like that went to their site and they said they did not have. I felt it was coming out a bit pink, so I went back to Behr. I know that you probably don't have that paint, but I understand that places over there can go from chips or maybe get the formula, like they do over here. Here is a threesome I came up with, tell me what you think. I am doing the best from the computer regarding the rust color on the chairs too.

BEHR Premium Plus 8 oz. #P210-7 Japanese Koi Interior/Exterior Paint Sample-PP10 · More Info
    Japanese Koi for chairs, i kinda like it too

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra 8 oz. Home Decorators Collection Nocturne Blue Interior/ · More Info

The blue though we can change if you like, what do you think, I hope it says I think it is nocturne?

Color to replace tea and cream. Explorer's khaki, sounds more exciting than it may really be.

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra 1-gal. #N330-4 Explorer Khaki Flat Exterior Paint-485401 · More Info
    They all look great with creamy trim too, get back to me. and i personally think that the fuzzy dog butt is the perfect accent. lol

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago
    I think that the chairs are growing on me, I don't think I can fit footstools though. Will have a bit more of a play around this weekend.
    I'm loving those colours, except for the rust.. Not sure about that one. Sample pots and swatches will be the next thing on my list.
  • 8 years ago

The rust is merely a match for your chairs to coordinate paints to. does it match your chairs, if not do you think the paint colors will go?

• 8 years ago

It will match, its darker than the chairs, I have a cushion that colour on one of them at the moment.

• 8 years ago

see, what i like about foot stools is that if you combine them with something flat and solid you have a coffee table. you can store things in them and you can move them around. The flat can be trays or used cutting boards,that you sand down. Anything solid, that you can hang on the wall or store in the kitchen in the meantime, or slip between the bookshelves and the wall.

Do you get walmart where you are? Otherwise we can look other places, even thrift stores care things

So here is an example, not sure this is not a little modern for you?

Eclectic Family Room · More Info

these are everywhere, $20-30. easy to play with, many colors and patterns

Modus Urban Seating Folding Storage Cube in Chocolate Leatherette · More Info
    found this on walmart on line, looks more in line with your chairs? $33 though I hate to pay full price, these were a dime a dozen a few years ago, every granny had one. But you could easily update that seat and make it go with your furniture, don't even have to sew. kinda thought the legs were a nod to the wood on your chairs?
    Ore International Oak Foot Stool with Storage - Walmart.com · More Info

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

No Walmart in Oz :( :( Our equivalent is BigW they are quite similar but dont have as big a range. I will keep an eye out. I think I like the modern ones, I'd like to get a mix of things hopefully I can pull it off :)

• 8 years ago

i was afraid i lost you emma, i wonder if bookmarking would help. Still recovering from the week. Did you still want the blue wall if you are keeping the orange on the chairs? I too am nuts about blue, but some people feel they don't pop enough or something. To me blue is like gray or beige, everything goes with blue. tehehe

• 8 years ago

ok, guess what?! Pronto.com ships to au. i put in free, max $40, but i tried over there, I truly did, Big W is not Walmart by any stretch. Above foot stool same price ship to you for free, yeah! so, here is a bunch others, tell me if you want me to pull off. I also have an idea book for you called lounge.

shipping furniture to australia, Pronto.com · More Info
    If you go looking the second as bizchair? i think is a couple dollars less, I don't know about wicker though, somehow, i think we are trying a little more upscale?

I love it, shape, style, what you think?

good color, nod to wood accents
    the tiny little personal joke in the room, artificial alligator or croc, a little dundee?

microsuede, it stores, it is on sale $28.42, cheapest yet.

All are within range of bottom though so no guilt. I swear if i lived there, I would be living in a box, saving to get something to sit on.

• 8 years ago
    Haha no Big w follows the business model but no where near the scale. I too love the 3rd one.
    Yes living in one of the worlds most isolated capital cities does have its drawbacks when it comes to variety.
  • 8 years ago

the squat rectangular one? i was talking about #2. but tis your room and i picked it, cause i figure it would go. I don't remember price, but max was $40 with free shipping, so if you don't find used, here are some good choices. i forgot to look up shelves. your cheapest is $79, surely we can beat that.

• 8 years ago

ok, shelving was far more depressing.

Here is pronto

$65

$59 different colors

Ikea:

Bookcases - Modern & Traditional - IKEA · More Info
    Shelving Units & Systems - IKEA · More Info
    $75

Wall Shelves & Shelf Brackets - IKEA · More Info
    Build your own, $5 each

Wall Shelves & Shelf Brackets - IKEA · More Info
    $5 a pair. Easy enough to hang. but bet you can get cheaper there. can always paint the brackets, and even the shelves, do you get free pallets there they can be great free shelving. let me know.

Emma thanked havingfun
  • 8 years ago

you still there? got anything for me to do this weekend? or still catching up? I know, i am probably driving you nuts. You have to understand I am hooked to an oxygen concentrator, hooked to a wall. So what else i got to do? I wash dishes as i can, do dinner a few nights a week, and i just started being able to do that, and i play in houzz. so I check with you on thursday nights or fridays, cause i know you gotta work.

• 8 years ago

Still here, lol you crack me up! I have been a tad busy sorry. I have a heap of paint swatches that I'll try to upload on Sunday. I'm having a mini break this weekend. Still deciding on the shelves, I like the direction you've been going in so far.

You've been so helpful, you've given me lots to think about that I wouldnt have come up with myself. It's been great having a totally different perspective.

• 8 years ago

hey no problems. I am off to play again. You have a great weekend. Oh it is a long one, poor hubby, he has to listen to me all weekend, the dog and cats will be happy though. I think even the mouse is getting tired of listening to me!

• 8 years ago

hey emma, you in yet, or just shopping out my cart?

• 8 years ago
    Shopping out your cart, so gorgeous stuff.

I bought some material to recover the chairs with, it's not as dark as the photo. What do you think?
  • 8 years ago

yeah, I am up again. Went to show hubby and you know what happened don't you? Puts his hands on it, and says what? errrrrr! Story of my life! car won't start for 3 hours mechanic comes, gets in, durn thing purring like a kitten!

french on jeans fabric? Looks great, so wwe want to run with blue?

Are you set on the wall colors yet? I have another idea. over here and maybe there, Ralph lauren paint makes a technique one called blue jeans. do you want me to see if i can find similar? Also, if you can recover the chairs. be back soon

• 8 years ago

ok hubby tucked in bed now. where was i? this is gonna sound crazy, but i read this once and adored, just have not gotten enough jeans yet. a woven jeans rug! but not the old timey wrap in a circle type. This is like those pot holders we used to make on a loom...you know you go over and under, I can only find the pic on pinterest, and they won't let me download. I also like recycled leather like belts, maybe you could them as an edging. I would make my rug square I think. i am also constantly trying to come up with ideas for old ties. You get them cheap enough and they can be so cool. but you have to mix them with something?

• 8 years ago

I am gonna start looking for pillows for those chairs, yeah!

• 8 years ago

Hey emma, are you back yet? saw you shopping again thought maybe you might need more help? or are you still just treading?