Houzz Logo Print
shavetachauhan1

Adding glamour ?

shavetachauhan1
8 years ago
How do I make these two washrooms look less yawny and more glamorous. I want to frame the mirrors...Can i use the adhesive small tiles around it..any better ideas?

Comments (43)

• Terri Clark
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sure! What I would do it create a frame with the tiles, then attach it to the mirror with construction adhesive. You could change the handles to glass or gold knobs and update the sink faucet. I cant see the lighting but you could swap that out with something with some bling. Also, see how the bathroom here has gold trim on the vanity, you could paint the trim on yours also in either silver or gold. These are super budget friendly if you arent looking to swap out whole sinks and vanities. A shower curtain and some accessories in the cabinet or on shelves behind toilet.

Troy Lighting B1923PN Polished Nickel Collins 3 Light Bathroom Vanity Light · More Info

4 Light Crystal Vanity Light · More Info

Capital Lighting Blakely Traditional Crystal Bathroom / Vanity Light X-RC-GA3258 · More Info

"Oui" Metallic Shower Curtain · More Info
    2015 Pasadena Showcase House of Design · More Info

• Related Discussions

Spare bedroom b4 n after

Q

Comments (19)
    As it is my own house this is my style and this is how I like it to be I don't care if you think it works or not I love it walking into these rooms actually don't make it closed in a photo can only take you so far it makes them much more modern and daring I like clean lines nothing to busy and I hate pops of color so please remember this is for me not your self It's not for everyone I totally get that But that's the best part about "houzz" there is something for everyone " keep it positive people "
    ...See More

What's the interior colour palette of 2016?

Q

Comments (4)
    A mixture of bold vibrants colours are my forecast for 2016. Its all about contrast!
    ...See More

Need advice on decorating my bedroom

Q

Comments (51)
    The bed needs more pillows with texture and patterns. Add black highlights in the accessories. Also get a lamp for the side table and a tray for accessories etc candles, vase. A few accessories for the desk like a hand-shaped jewelry holder etc. The things that will make the room less boring will be a rug with a visually appealing and exciting pattern (not a solid colour), a chair (the more interesting the better) , new bedding will create a focal point and accessories for the side table and desk. Go to freedom or adairs etc and they'll be staff members to help you choose out furniture, accessories, bedding etc. Show them your pictures and speak to them and they'll know how to help.
    ...See More

Kitchen update design dilemma

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi Emma, Lots of great ideas, love the idea of a larger fridge to fill that large space, build in s/s microwave, shelf or shelves either side of range hood , timber but I think stainless steel would add a bit of glamour, fill with beautiful items, then stand back and decide if you want to update cupboard doors, if so plain would look great, some great stools ... gorgeous
    ...See More
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Here's some glam inspiration - black and white basics and then you can add a pop of color in every season with your towels, bathmat and shower curtain.

Santa Monica 2 · More Info

Black & White Bathroom · More Info

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Also check youtube for DIY videos on how to do all that.

• shavetachauhan1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @terri...I really like your idea. But the mirrors in my case are already fixed and they have very less space on the border below close to sink. How can i stick tiles on to the mirror. I saw self adhesive at a store for backsplash but wasnt sure if they will stick on a mirror.
  • Terri Clark
    8 years ago
    I don't know that those would work well in a bathroom with so much moisture.
  • Terri Clark
    8 years ago

from the pics it looks like plenty of room to do a frame with tile.

• tooky58
    8 years ago

What about a stencil w/the size/shape you like & paint the border?

• kathleen MK
    8 years ago
    you could make a frame of molding and mosaic it with tile or glass. you could anchor it to the sheet rock around the mirror.
  • PRO
    Crescent Plumbing Supply Co.
    8 years ago

Think about replacing the faucets. You have 4" centerset faucets currently, so look for the same type of faucet so you would not need to change the sink/vanity. Here is a link to some from Kohler in a glamorous brass finish:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/search/searchResults.jsp?enableRedirect=true&all=true&filter-products-type=false&filter-parts-type=false&filter-techRef-type=false&filter-helpTopics-type=false&searchTerm=centerset&pageName=globalSearch&fromPage=search&_requestid=8585527#id=filters&color-filter=101779_PB

• In Oaks
    8 years ago

Glass shelves add a bit of bling and serve a purpose, too. Maybe in bathroom one, place some above the toilet in place of the art. A few carefully selected glam objects on the shelves, and voila!

16" Two Tiered Glass Shelf With Integrated Towel Bar · More Info

• Barbara Almandarz
    8 years ago

You've got a great neutral base to work with. If it's in your budget, change the cabinet top; sink and fixtures. if not, change all the hardware to something more modern and straight. Paint the walls a gray which you find in your floors. As for the mirror, get it professionally finished with a wood trim. Using small tiles to surround the mirror will look too DIY as you don't have those tiles anywhere else in the room. Get rid of that cabinet above the toilet. Opt for open shelving the color of your mirror frame. Add a few things in our favorite color on this shelve, along with hand towels/washcloths and a small plant. Add some darker color in the way of a rug. Maybe a medium gray as your floors appear to have gray in them. Add a nice lighting fixture with bling. Change your towel bars to match the finish on the cabinet hardware. Add med gray towels. I'd opt for a slice white/cream shower curtain, something that melts into the wall color so your room appears larger.

• jaymee
    8 years ago

So many great ideas posted here!. Painting the walls, or using wallpaper, a darker color of grey, and/or painting the vanity and cabinet above the toilet, is an easy fix. You could go with a dramatic dark charcoal or black or do the stripes as in decoenthusiaste's post. Think of changing the fauct to a more modern and higher single one. Change the handles to more modern ones. Instead of mosaic tile frame for the mirror, you could build a simple frame around the wall-mounted mirror with molding, paint or stain it, and adhere it to the mirror and wall with Liquid Nails (choose the type for your application; we did that in the hall bathroom and it looks great). Leave the bling-factor to handles and lighting fixture. A beautiful shower curtain and perhaps large interesting art work (co-ordinate color or add a big splash of color if you have all neutrals everywhere else) will complete the look. Just decide on a style (deco, modern, traditional, etc.) and carry it out in the items you choose.

• shwshw
    8 years ago

I love your bathrooms. All you need to do is change the soft items (towels, rugs, shower curtain) to something in colors that you love. I like the idea to put a frame of some type around the mirror too. Best of luck and please let us see the "after" pictures.

• PRO
    Trudy Connor
    8 years ago

Our Bath is mid process. We removed the tub and adjoining shower to create a no threshold handicap shower. As you can see we are not completely through the process.

as I sit here drinking my coffee, I am waiting to install the light fixtures and the bath plumbing will be completed tomorrow, a delay in getting my shower heads. We will see after a few showers how much of a glass wall/divider is need there will be no door. To keep expenses down we are keeping the current cabinet, and the majority of the floor.

The builder has done such a good job I will not even had to repaint the room! Just touch up the ceiling where the new shower head is coming down and the edges where the corners are on the walls.

• Deborah Franklin
    8 years ago

I agree with all of Barbara's ideas and I would gussy up the shower curtain. Raise it as high as you can, get a nice fabric liner to leave and pull the outer curtain back and hook it with a nice metal tieback or fabric one with a tassel. And if you want drama, paint the walls a medium to dark purple...good luck.

• cbezak
    8 years ago
    Taking inspiration from your shower curtain: Soft burnished wall, gold and black accents says glamour to me. http://houzz.com/photos/18368
  • Susan King
    8 years ago

How about light weight faux wood fancy moulding, glued directly on the mirrors for an updated look. Elmer's glue would work, and tape into place until dry. This can be painted to match the walls or glazed or painted with a contrasting pop of color. You might even make a small frame interior, and one around the edge of the mirror???Hide all the "necessities" and use arty accents on the shelves and vanity. Follow the same color scheme with shower curtains, towels, etc.

• calm2222
    8 years ago

http://www.mirrormate.com/

have a look at this site. might be just the answer for your mirror.

• llmblonde
    8 years ago

Frame the mirror and buy new faucets and lighting. Accessorize with your favorite color on towels, and glasses. Replace the awful shower curtain and enclose I with glass.

• kaolsen3
    8 years ago

Crystal lights are gorgeous but they are not quick or easy to clean especially the ones with individual pieces ... just saying' ...

• threecreeksdesign
    8 years ago

Your bathrooms already look good, but if you want a bit more glamour, here is what I would do. (For the second one anyway. the first could be done in a similar fashion if desired. The accessories and picture you have in the first bathroom would look great with this scheme)

Paint the walls a gray such as Sherwin Williams 'Westchester Gray', maybe even a bit darker. Make sure it echos and compliments the shower curtain though. Then for the mirror, find a picture frame that is the right size and spray paint it gold to match the brass doorknob. If you like, you can change the light to something like others have mentioned above, (maybe also in brass). Accessorize the cubbyholes on the cabinet with some small knickknacks that echo the new color scheme and find a better picture to hang on the wall (to replace the one seen in the mirror).

• suezbell
    8 years ago

The mirrors and vanity appear to be the same width. If you're going to add tile around the mirror, consider starting a vertical row at the baseboard and draw a continuous line to the top of the mirror and round it with the tile and then underline it with the tile.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

For a glamorous modern twist, check out these original, handcrafted accent wall mirrors. They can enhance any nook in your home with a sophisticated, elegant look and even become the focal point of your bathroom.

Jon Allen Abstract Handmade Metal Wall Mirror · More Info
    [Black Controlled Chaos Mirror - Classic Black and Silver[(https://www.houzz.com/products/jon-allen-abstract-handmade-metal-wall-mirror-prvw-vr~25803107?lid=13349061)
    Modern Metal Orange and White Painted Accent Wall Mirror by Jon Allen · More Info

[OOAK 112 - Beautiful Fusion of Orange and White[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-metal-orange-and-white-painted-accent-wall-mirror-by-jon-allen-prvw-vr~25748966?lid=13324741)

Modern Blue and Silver Metal Abstract Square Pizzazz Wall Mirror by Jon Allen · More Info

[Pizzazz Mirror - Silver and Blue Jewel Tones[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-blue-and-silver-metal-abstract-square-pizzazz-wall-mirror-by-jon-allen-prvw-vr~25801420?lid=13348536)

• PRO
    Trudy Connor
    8 years ago

Jon Allen you do beautiful work!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind words, Trudy!

• georgi02
    8 years ago

I'd think about going with an ornate silver gilt timber frame around the mirrors (and if you can take down the cabinet above the toilet in the second bathroom without having storage issues, I would).

Think about getting rid of the current shower curtains and have one plain clear or white liner that sits within the tub and then beautiful organza curtains in the lightest grey on the outside.

Big soft fluffy white towels and rugs will automatically give you a tactile sense of luxury as Shwshw said.

I'd change the tapware as Crescent Plumbing suggests - changing your shower head and taps really does instantly change the feel of your bathroom (I did it to buy myself more time a few years ago before I did a full bathroom reno last year) - go with square/rectangular fittings and stick with silver/chrome for a modern feel - Parisi put out some absolutely gorgeous tapware.

In bathroom 1 in the reflection of the mirror it looks as though you've got a bathroom cabinet - change the door to one that is mirrored with a crystal handle.

If you can't get rid of the cabinet above the toilet in bathroom 2, change the handles (crystal knob's will give you some bling) and remove anything that you're using (toilet rolls, shaver, mouthwash - sorry can't see it clearly) and only display beautiful things - to follow through with the gilt frame, I'd have largish gilt seashells in the little cubicles.

I'd also look for artwork in soft colours that pick up your tiles and walls - calla lillies for instance.

Look also, for a tissue box cover that's glamourous - I'd lean towards a mother of pearl one that keeps with the lighter colours in your rooms but brings quiet luxury.

• Amy Lewin
    8 years ago

One option for your mirrors would be to DIY your frame. Personally, I think simple is really glam, so a crown-molding style frame painting in a crisp white would look really good. If you want tiles, adhesive ones would work, but you may need to custom a frame to glue them on if the tiles are thinner than your mirror. Another simple glam option is to use little mirrored tiles! Extra sparkle is always glamorous.

It looks like you don't get any natural light in those bathrooms, so adding more mirrored/reflective items and things that don't use a lot of visual impact would help. You could switch out your lighting and add something cool above/next to your mirrors, like this vanity light from Lowes. An easy way to make small rooms look brighter is to paint the walls a darker color, like Kendall Charcoal from Benjamin Moore. Revere Pewter is a really popular color and tends to work in all spaces. Match it with a really crisp white trim.

I would change the cabinet hardware to something like crystal knobs. Put open glass shelving above the toilets, and then use cool accessories to style them. Candles or [diffusers[(https://www.houzz.com/products/luna-large-diffuser-prvw-vr~13203339), [reflective containers to hold toothbrushes[(https://www.houzz.com/products/cecilia-swarovski-crystals-table-toothbrush-holder-polished-chrome-prvw-vr~7006282) etc on top of counters, a faux (or real) plant. Little things will make the space :)

Change the [shower curtains[(https://www.houzz.com/products/pouf-shower-curtain-72x72-white-prvw-vr~33988515) to a crisp white or light gray - white will always look luxurious and glam as long as you keep it clean. Keep to the same thing with your towels. Fluffy white towels and floor mats are easy to clean with bleach and look very luxurious.

Creating glam spaces is usually more to do with styling and the kind of accessories that you bring in. I can also see that you have art in both bathrooms - try something like a vintage [Hollywood glamour piece[(https://www.houzz.com/products/hollywood-print-in-acrylic-prvw-vr~27549332).

Changing your art and your shower curtain would be my first two recommended steps, as well as the tiling around the mirror. Here's a link to my bathroom Houzz board if you need more inspiration.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

You don't say whether these baths are secondary to a master or used by kids, guests--or mention your budget. That makes a difference in your choices. If you take suggestions for using whites, check tags to make sure you can use bleach. I'm assuming you want to keep your current storage solutions: Bathrooms need (some) "behind the doors" storage. Although, I recently began stacking toilet paper (white) on open shelves.

A room without natural light is improved by mid-tone to dark-ish wall color (ex., Kendall Charcoal.) If you did that, in the bath w/ the over toilet cabinet, paint the cabinet the same color as the wall and then fill the gap between the cabinet & toilet with glass shelving. Lighting is important to establishing the feel of a room & can be relatively inexpensive to replace. Likewise, changing out the faucet, towel bars and/or cabinet hardware would be an instant face lift.

I use lightweight (washable) drapery panels + a liner for shower/tub combos: Two rods, drapery panel on either end with liner on the second inner rod. (Drapery panels stay put.) Place rods at same height to keep the look streamline.

I have oversized art on the wall(s) of one windowless bath. In another windowless bath, I hung a large mirror on the wall opposite the vanity--to bounce around light.

I have used small mirrors (diamond shape) along the top and bottom edge of a plate mirror--about 4" apart. The adhesive squares that came with the small mirrors withstood humidity, just fine.

In another bath, I recently hung a square, "old gold" metal frame on top of the vanity mirror--but oriented it as a "diamond". The top "tip" Is where I secured the frame to dry wall.

Think of the bath as another room--not as a BATH room. Bring in ideas & accessories you might use in other rooms.

Good luck & have fun!

• username551234
    8 years ago

I've tried a ton of diy projects & some are just more work than they're worth. Instead of trying to glam up the current mirror, I'd just get new mirrors at home goods. They're not too pricey. Also, I'd grab a new shower curtain, rug, & paint. Done! Good luck!

• David Cavanaugh
    8 years ago
    A quick, easy way to add glamor is to go with a bold paint color (right now one of my favorite colors is a darker, but not too dark, blue, like Pratt and lambert Thalo blue) Use light fixtures, towel racks, etc. in a shiny chrome. The light fixtures could have a few crystals (fewer but bigger crystals keep it sophisticated).
  • PRO
    Robin Garceau Interiors
    8 years ago

The space looks like you're being timid - don't be - If you're on a budget, paint the whole bathroom - it will give you the biggest bang for your buck - pick any color you like..it could be bold or beige, but you need something to give you some warmth in the room. Then you need a new shower curtain - the one oyou have is too spotty for a small room - do a large pattern, horizontal stripes or even a large check. You may want to buy the shower curtain first & then choose the paint..

• judy
    8 years ago

Right now anything looks glam, my toilet leaked so I called a plumber. He replaced the wax ring under it, now the toilet is cracked and also leaking. He thinks I am accusing him of breaking the toilet. It wasn't me, but I can't figure out why he would want to crack it, now I need to buy a new toilet. Personally I would replace the shower curtain, mine is white lace over a white liner. Some fancy hooks maybe, crystal? Could paint the vanity black, and go with some of the other suggestions here. I love the light fixtures in the first post. Also like the idea of glass shelves.

• nimrod25
    8 years ago

It sounds to me like he tightened the toilet to the floor too tight. That will crack a toilet. So, yes, you are accusing him of breaking the toilet. He needs to replace it with like kind and quality.

• ashtonlv
    8 years ago

These ideas are really great! My thoughts are that instead of buying a shower curtain, pick a really luxurious solid color decorator fabric (like a beautiful faux dupioni silk or taffeta) and make a shower curtain yourself if you can sew. You can also get nice fabric by buying a couple of curtain panels from a discount decorating website. It will look really high end and luxury = glamour in my book. A fancy shower curtain along with paint, glittery lighting, and pretty/shiny finishes on new fixtures and it will look pretty glam. I also think if you do a monochromatic look where the shower curtain and walls and accent pieces are all the same color with big fluffy spa-like towels that will help add to the glam look. If it's in the budget and if your cabinets could stand up to it, replacing the counter top and sink would go a long way too. You can get a marble top for standard vanity sizes with a built-in sink for a few hundred dollars. Once you add the labor and plumbing it's not a super cheap upgrade, but it would be very high-impact. Good luck1

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

if you do make your own shower curtain, since you need 2 drops of fabric (fabric you can buy isnt wide enough) split one of the drops so you have a whole panel in the center, half panels on each side. looks much better than a seam down the middle.

a caveat tho, shower curtains you buy, even fabric ones that you use a liner with, dry much faster than normal fabric. so make sure it doesnt get wet at the edges or it will mildew.

• dogmom5
    8 years ago
    If you want a different shower curtain that pops check out DENY designs. They have quite a large selection & all kinds of colors.
  • sclapper2
    8 years ago

We just gutted our 2nd bath, except for the tub and shower enclosure. I knew that area would be covered with a shower curtain, so I didn't change that. You have tile?, and if you added small decorative tile to what is there, I wonder if you should take into account, how old your existing tile and grout is. Just a thought. Our project included--- First, a fresh coat of paint. You didn't mention your style or budget, but if you can, new vanities and hardware on everything, would go a long way to update your look. We found some great deals on the vanity and sink top at our local industrial businesses, who sell to contractors and the public alike. We replaced our floor tile and found a great deal at Home Depot. Being a small area, it was very affordable. We also replaced our mirror, (looked like yours) with a framed mirror, that we found at Kirklands ($20) super affordable and what a difference! Also, installed a new lighting fixture over the sink, pulling the color of the hardware together and tying it all in. (I replaced the shower rod with one that gives you more room ), and then lastly a new shower curtain and towels. It was a DIY project we had a lot of fun with. I googled for ideas and inspiration beforehand. (PS I tried to send you a photo, but my server wasn't happy about it.) Best of luck and have fun!

• sclapper2
    8 years ago

hey there, me again. I misunderstood your "tile" idea. When it came to updated my plain mirror, I was super happy with the ones I found at Kirklands, The price was right and installation a breeze. Either way, I hope you have fun with your whatever you decide to do. :-)

• menobles
    8 years ago

I believe a color update, possibly changing the mirror instead of framing, and some lighting fixture changes would definitely give your bathroom a definite glam makeover. Darker color on the wall possibly deep gray would add some drama while more lighting fixture changes would add detail and interest. If you're into bling cool if not keep it simple and classy. Both could easily be done for a couple hundred dollars depending on your DYI level.

• buster57
    8 years ago
    PAINT!
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    8 years ago

I think you need texture and color. Paint and tile?

I have blog post that may help you out.

http://www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog/how-torenovatebathroomonabudget

Happy Designing!