Houzz Logo Print
wincymeow

Wincy Meow

Barbara Hill
8 years ago
Does anyone know if farmhouse stainless steel skirt front sinks are available in Australia. They seem to be readily available in the US but I can't find them here. Also what are some opinions on them please. I'm doing a new kitchen and like the idea of the stainless steel skirted sink with all other appliances ss as well. Ideas please.

Comments (12)

• dohraime
    8 years ago
  • olldroo
    8 years ago

Hmmmm.......... not a fan.

If you do find one, check out the height - I'm a bit concerned when they are generally undermounted and deep, I would be getting a constant backache. I note from the one dohraime posted they don't appear to have draining boards which would be an issue for washing up.

Have you looked at Abey Sinks? They have a nice range and a good choice of accessories. I prefer to have a draining board I can put away to give me extra bench space. You can often get packaged deals on the accessories. Blanco also do a great sink with a good range of accessories. Unfortunately neither of them seem to have farmhouse.

• cloudpants
    8 years ago
    Personally not a big fan of the look. I do like them when they are ceramic. I have never used one.
  • Barbara Hill
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I agree about the ceramic butler sinks but I've read negatives about the functionality - chipping, staining and breaking glasses etc. I thought the ss would give me a good compromise with the look (sort of) and the durability. Is it the look of the ss that you're not keen on? I thought it would give the kitchen a 'different' look. I'm going for a Hampton style kitchen - white cupboards with either marble or very light granite bench tops.

Thank you very much for your replies. Any more advice or opinions are VERY welcome. PS. All the new appliances will be ss.

• Barbara Hill
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Forgot....olldroo, yes you're right about the depth of the sink! Would have to look into that. Abey do have some nice ones but I guess at this stage I'm still interested in the skirt front...... unless everyone talks me out of it!!

• olldroo
    8 years ago

I don't think I could handle a ceramic sink especially with the chipping, and I'm such a klutz too. I also worry about that undermount look, I know they can seal things off well these days, but water will still have its way.

Wondering now, just why these sinks are not readily available here - there has to be a reason - we don't always blindly follow the Yanks. Maybe ring a couple of sink manufacturers and ask them why they are not making them - might be a simple 'no demand' then again there just might be a functionality problem.

Am I talking enough??

• Barbara Hill
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Again thanks for your input, it's much appreciated :). Will do as you suggest. I've had an undermount sink previously with no problems.
  • dohraime
    8 years ago
    One thing I have seen that you can get with these sinks is a grill that fits in the base. It's supposed to prevent scratches. These may be hard to find unless they come with the sink.
  • Barbara Hill
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes I've seen them too. I think they come with the Kraus brand ss sinks.
    Will, or are, ceramic farmhouse sinks becoming outdated? Personally I love the look.
  • olldroo
    8 years ago

Wincy, farmhouse sinks go back to the 17th century, so I don't think they are going anywhere in a hurry. Probably more the usual coming and going that you get in design and decorating. I just found this thread that might have some interesting points for you.

[https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/are-farmhouse-sinks-overrated-dsvw-vd~1068798[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/are-farmhouse-sinks-overrated-dsvw-vd~1068798)

• Barbara Hill
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks olldroo. Interesting reading everyone's ideas and experiences. I'd certainly like to see a ss one before buying.
  • olldroo
    8 years ago

Yes, I thought it a really good thread with a huge variety of opinions. Just what you need at times like this.