Houzz Logo Print
eliobic

Feedback on floor plan for new build

7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are building a new smaller home later in the year on a 23 metre wide block that faces north at the rear. The above floor plan is what I've come up with so far. I'd appreciate your honest feedback, opinions, and any thoughts on improvements on the layout. Thank you and much appreciated.

Comments (96)

• 7 years ago

Great decision to include a 3 way bath if possible, the one we have has separate toilet, shower and bath, I notice that Okouise has the shower and bath in the one space. Good to be able to bath small kids and have private access to a shower. You have done very well with surviving on one TV, we couldn't as the man of the house always wants to have his way, ABC,football, cricket, biggest kid of all.

• 7 years ago

Bendyl, I'am sure oklouise has the storage sorted this is just another of her "ideas" layout, Forgot to mention that our shower doesn't have a shower screen, it's a small shower room which has a pocket door going to the left behind the shower same with the toilet, bath and vanity share the same space behind a door.

Bathhurst my brother inlaw using Paal, is having the exterior wall' s built with Hebal (Hebel?) sheets and that then finished with.........., quick to build. We used Hebal bricks for a shower wall which was tiled over.

• Related Discussions

New Build - Floor Plan

Q

Comments (56)
    As I've already said, it's going to be an excellent home to live in. Very very practical and simple and I mean that as a huge compliment! Too many houses these days built too large and end up having wasted space along with having to buy stuff you don't need to fill rooms you don't use. Much prefer a smaller home and pour the money into quality finishes and furniture. My only suggestion would be to enclose the ensuite toilet. Put it where the shower is, put the shower on the external wall with a window high up and as wide as room. Move vanity to the middle and door into ensuite would be from the middle of the wir which gives a bit more privacy and mystery upon entering wir. Even if you sacrificed a little of that storage provision beside the ensuite from the entry side, to me that would be worth it to get a larger and more private ensuite. Anyway will be great either way. Cheers
    ...See More

New Home Construction Floor Plan - Advice / Feedback /Critique please

Q

Comments (1)
    it looks like one of those supersized American Mcmansions which is fine if you measure the value of a house by its size rather than the quality of its design and the relationship to its site and the environment. You must have engaged your architect with the knowledge on the style of work he does? I would strongly suggest you research American architect Sarah Susanka and her work with "The not so big house" before you have a meeting with your architect. A well designed home is a lot more than a shopping list of rooms. Even though I don't like your design I do know that some of my clients have trouble visualising a plan and sometimes they don't like what they can't understand. I would arrange a meeting with your architect so he could explain why he has deviated from your brief. There may be some very good reasons, such as capturing views, or getting the winter sun, but it is hard to suggest without knowing about your location. By the way do you realize that your posting has appeared on the Australian Houzz forum? Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls
    ...See More

Raise and build under plans - Feedback much appreciated

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you for your questions. North is top of page. We’re in Brisbane Qld. Breezes come right side (bathroom, rumpus, Bed1). The western sun would hit the master room wall (without the deck) There would be a 1 mtr eave but we've considered more insulation to compensate. And yes good point about bathroom. It was newly renovated before we bought. It is definitely the “spanner in the works" as that's the best corner for breeze and sun. But moving would incur the additional cost of a new bathroom. (And also where to put it. Would require change of staircase) So it would have to be worth it. Any suggestions for alternatives? the alternative is double internal garage. But we’d have to extend out under the deck as it doesn’t leave much space so external double garage (as in pic) is prob more reasonable. That leaves us a a lot more room to play with down stairs. But no lock up garage security and storage. And yes council should allow. (6m carport) It’s quite common in this area, however we'd have to look at the details of sizing and suitability. We have 5.912mts from edge of deck to front boundary ( 7.812 from edge of house) I'll upload another set of plans with clear dimensions but FYI bed 1 & 2 are 3.6 x 3.6. And block is 10m frontage and 40.5 long.
    ...See More

New Build house plans feedback

Q

Comments (38)
    I would delete the wall behind the bed in the master bedroom as it doesn’t seem to serve any real purpose and turn the bed to place against the outside wall. The room will be far more spacious .
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago
    Are you happy with a kitchen without a window? Could this space be used as a larger bedroom and a pantry for a kitchen in the family room space?
  • 7 years ago

Re ensuite size, the following 1.2 wide x 3.6 long this has a pocket door in approx the center of the 3.6 wall directly in front is a long vanity, the shower is at one end and the toilet at the other end under the window, this works really well especially if you're trying to reduce space, best to have a good 3 way bathroom the family and guests.

• 7 years ago

another variation with some extra options

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi oklouise, gosh you're quick with plans, looks good to me but I would move the ensuite to the exterior wall as per my earlier suggestion, three way bath looks good. For me I would prefer to keep the laundry as before as I can see that it could have potential to become an ensuite to the entrance bedroom/Living etc, we all have aging parents that might need a bit of looking after. , Hope Bathurst doesn't mind all the chit chat, as my mother always said"there's more than one to skin a rabbit"

• 7 years ago

I don't mind the chit chat. I just need time to process it all.

• 7 years ago
    Re Hebel panel walls - we built our house using Hebel panels instead of bricks. Amazing insulative and sound reducing qualities. Just bear in mind that Hebel is steel reinforced aerated concrete and, therefore, porous until it is rendered. You will need a proper waterproofing layer applied before tiling etc.
  • 7 years ago

Hi Bendyl, The Paal kit homes that supplied the house and the owner chose the Hebel panels which are rendered to finish, great material

• 7 years ago

responding to siriusky there's nothing better in a cold climate than a bathroom with a northerly aspect and a gorgeous view of the countryside..having enjoyed that experience myself i encourage anyone with that opportunity to take full advantage with windows down low enough to enjoy the view from the tub and have a "loo with a view" for both ensuite and family bath..simple venetians control privacy if/when needed but still allow for that view BTW i changed the three way to a four way bath but that does use more space for doors and standing room. I think my personal choice would be to have the master suite near the front door with the minor bedrooms, family bath, laundry and rumpus/guest room on the north west wing and two separate areas instead of the big open plan room but designing to suit the owners is what makes this process so challenging and enjoyable

• 7 years ago

As a mum of 3 who are all adults now I found a second living area very valuable. They could be on laptops, computers etc or watching TV and there was a separate quiet space for parents. Can always be used once they leave home as a hobby room, sewing room etc.

• 7 years ago

I actually looked back on Bathurst's drawing and saw that it has really good ideas, one thing I'd like to see is when you have back to back bedrooms, share the one wall for robes, ie: half of the shared wall has a wardrobe in each bedroom the back of wardrobe is the wall in the adjoining room , this makes doorways into each room unobstructed instead of looking into the end of a wardrobe, it also makes the rooms feel bigger. I also like computers to be used in the family area when children are using them. Happy Australia Day

• 7 years ago

Is that the original drawing or the second siriuskey?

• 7 years ago
    An alternative for the kitchen put in front of wall where the bathroom is and have an island bench would be more open and apart of family room. Feel the current location is a little restrictive...
  • 7 years ago
    Make the current kitchen area into a study nook, media control centre, with printer etc, etc...
  • 7 years ago

Hi Bathurst, I'am leaning towards your 2nd drawing and OKlouise under 200 sq minus the wall between the living dining. Would separate parents bedroom from teenagers. Like the laundry running off the kitchen wall as per the photos I have posted. You have many ideas to play with and choose what suits you best.

• 7 years ago

Hi Bathurst, Seriously consider enlarging the garage, I went for a 6m x 6m and it turned out to be the external measurements and the wall thickness made it 5.7 x 5.7.

This may help fine tune your plans,

https://floorplanner.com/ 

Also can you find another 500mm to the entry hall, to make the front door a double one as it makes a great house better.

Hey oklouise, that Laundry from 20/1 4.35pm is an awesome size :) lol.

• 7 years ago

To start designing a new home with new materials i would imagine that instead of reproducing a typical home one would be considering something more creative, more personal, more one off.

Moving the rooms all over the place anyone can do, but to create that master piece one that you want to come home to for years, you have to include the site and what you do on the outside as well as what you do on the inside. Positive and Negative space or indoors and outdoors.

Why are you not considering the front yard as part of your living area, we waste a lot of very expensive land ignoring that massive piece of land, especially one with such a long frontage as this site seems to have. If not allowed to fence parts high, i would plant out a section with hedges to make a private garden.

Is this design being hemmed in by the setbacks, why is it a big rectangle?

To me if you want the same old same old designs being built since the 40's and 50's go get a project home, more bang for your bucks, selling at the other end might be more difficult with your home competing with thousands of similar homes, but if you are going down the custom build, make sure the design is worth it.

Go wild, plan with bubbles what has to go with what, put arrows to show what needs to have the outdoor connection, plan private spaces, if you have a lot of kids where is their area, how can the kitchen connect to the outdoors, to me i see none of this happening. you need to step back retain what you have, number your sheets as you do this, and if you go too far, be brave and go back.

We have to stop and think why are we reproducing plans of houses from a time when technology, living styles, and entertaining ideals were completely different from this time. Ros

• 7 years ago

I think Bathurst has all of the above in mind and at the moment is just working on a floor plan that suits him and his family while trying to make a smaller foot print. As Bathurst mentioned it's early days yet, the subdivision hadn't been completed, Research Research. Love Mid Century Houses

• 7 years ago

Hi Siriuskey and marcos2. Thanks for your comments.

The block is 23 metres (wide) x 38.3 long. The required frontage set back is 7 metres. The rear faces north out to a beautiful view and the front faces south to the road. I am keen to have an open deck at the rear off the living areas to enjoy the outlook, perhaps with some form of flexible awning that can be used in summer to provide shade to the deck. The house will utilise the east to west width of the block thereby reducing the length of the house and allowing a decent size back yard for the kids to use, which they like to do.

I am keen to keep the house smaller in size as I feel many houses today are just too big with much wastage, not to mention the cost of building big. I would rather build something smaller of quality. Our current house is 203 square metres, which has suited us fine as a family of four.

In terms of passive design, with the north at the rear I'm keen to have living areas, kitchen and main bedroom facing north to benefit from the sun. This is important as Bathurst is cold in winter. Eaves will be the appropriate size so as to block direct sunlight coming into the house in summer. I hope to have the other bedrooms on the south facing front and the garage on the south western side. It would also be good to have the living areas on the north eastern side to benefit from added light and extra breezes.

Having a main bedroom that is separate would be good but not the most important thing for us. We currently have 2 living areas and would like to keep it that, given they may be both on the northern side next to each other, perhaps some kind of division between the living and family room might be handy. It would be useful to have a slightly larger spare guest bedroom for the kids to have their own space to hang out if they want. I think with a good floor plan these things will be achievable leading to a functional home for us.

In terms of how the house looks. I am definitely open to something that's different from the standard look, however, as I have time on my side, at the moment I'm just focusing more on the floor plan. Any ideas regarding design would be appreciated.

• 7 years ago
    Hi there.
    I'm assuming you are living in rural property without planning regulations regarding garage setback from front boundary?
  • 7 years ago
    You've had heaps of feedback and I couldn't get thru all the comments but in case no one else has mentioned it I'm worried about your hallway. You may well end up with a permanently dark tunnel unless there is a source of natural lighting I have missed.
    To improve this without changing your floorplan you might like to consider options other then the obvious sky light.
    Go old school, small windows above all the door facing the hall to sneak light from external windows in other rooms and maybe add a frosted glass doors to the laundry at the end of the hall with your external door at least partially glass therefore stealing light from outside.
    Sunlight or lack thereof is vital to the feeling of your home so hopefully you can get that right. good luck!
  • 7 years ago

Here's our floorplan. Works well with views at the back. Lots of space and lots of light. It suits a wide, squarish block like yours.

We're contemplating putting a pool in the central courtyard as it's steamy hot up here in Brisbane. The courtyard is 7 x 7m with glass sliders all the way around. The back deck was made longer to span the whole back of the house as we back on bushland and love the view.

• 7 years ago

looks like a really good design especially for QLD's weather, be careful of noise across the courtyard, we had a friend with a similar design and noise did become a problem good luck

• 7 years ago
    I know its a late entry, however based on everything you said and following on from some great suggestions, here's my thoughts... hope u like them...
  • 7 years ago

Hi House builders, I really like your enthusiasm and willingness to take on this project. It will not be without it's ups and downs, so obviously the planning stage is extremely important. With modern housing and the costs involved, I think getting it right the first time should be your main objective. Remember teenagers eventually leave home (hopefully) but a four bedroom house will have immense resale potential in the future.

I agree with the idea of positioning your master suite to the back of the house to over look the lovely views you have described. This could provide for a nice paved seating area for lazy days and a glass of beverage would be a relaxing place to unwind so large sliding doors would be ideal.

A butlers pantry off the kitchen will provide loads of storage room, think extra freezer, vacuum cleaner, mops, brooms and bucket, electrical appliances etc. and help keep the kitchen free of clutter and maximise use of bench space. Keeping your your family room, dining and kitchen area facing north is a great idea for obvious reasons.

Perhaps a hallway leading off the garage separating the family living areas to the left with the front bedroom and entry to the right would help delineate different areas. For example, Bedroom (1) could also double as a study area for your teenagers with a lounge that folds out into a double bed to accommodate guests. The three front bedrooms would benefit from a centrally located main bathroom with separate powder room off the entrance which extra width of hallway would allow.

You could squeeze a galley laundry in between main bathroom/powder and your ensuite, WIR which would provide a noise barrier from laundry and main bathroom but keep all pipework running parallel.This would help keep plumbing costs down.

It's an exciting time seeing your plans come to fruition. Good luck and I wish you well. .

• 7 years ago

Hi, I'd swap the bathroom and the laundry if possible. Early morning washing would not wake up sleepy folks still in bed. Also it would bring the bathroom closer to the bedrooms so less nudie runs to those bedrooms. You could still move the door on the now laundry. We just moved a laundry door in a house plan because the laundry was going to be visible from the entry.

regards susan

• 7 years ago

Also agree, re the WIR. Unless it is fairly spacious a wall of robes gives you more storage. You could narrow the width of the now robe/ensuite to 1.5, and make it an ensuite with a shower at one end and a sep toilet at the other with vanity in between. You could then have a wall of robes along the east wall, giving you a full 4 m of useable wardrobe space and a more spacious ensuite with a separate toilet

• 7 years ago

Hi Bathurst House. Exciting times. We built about 18mths ago (first time), having had our 1ha block for a couple of years, so we knew lots about it. Lived in the Central West for years, so familiar with climate! *I love our skillion roof, simplicity of it, and sense of opening up to our north facing views. I really like your initial plan (has similarities to ours!!), though think there are several areas would benefit from tweaking. So, in no particular order, here are my random thoughts. *We have a great back door: double glazed, with venetian blind to protect us from Western sun, but lights our wide hallway beautifully...you could use one on laundry to give light to the hallway. *We so value the sense of space and generosity that the wide hallway gives us (1400mm) Also great when moving furniture around! *Will you be housing 2 cars in the garage? Or is it just for "stuff" ? We have just a car port so that we can't have "stuff" taking over our lives! Mostly working well! We do have a store room internally which is proving MOST useful! Where else would be put the Christmas tree, files, tools, oh,and general stuff? !! * I'm not a fan of WIR as they seem so greedy on space. having built ins mean you share the circulation space needed for bedroom and clothes storage. *For your ensuite (which I have always thought should be the best bathroom in the house. We designed with just one full bathroom mind you!) we have had one which was just 900mm wide (same as many dining tables!) which was too stingy, but nonetheless functional. I think someone else has mentioned the style though...long skinny, door in middle. We had sink right in front of door, loo to left and shower to right. Again making use of shared circulation space. Too stingy, but maybe you could use that premise in your plan,along with built ins, and *maybe get an additional cupboard/linen press at end of that current space, opening to hall. *our lounge/dining is 9500 long, plus 2800 width of kitchen, and plenty plenty long enough. We have created the separate spaces by the use of room sized rugs, no walls or structures. * will you use extra insulation on W wall, or take advantage of future neighbour likely to be your shield? * don't forget there's acoustic insulation you could use internally if really concerned about kitchen or laundry noise affecting sleeping babes! * we designed for us, not for re-sale, but where we could we built in for future, eg we have a space which would be easy enough to extend and make into full 2nd bathroom. Our library could easily become a 4th bedroom, my sewing room is so obvioulsy a 3rd bedroom, except for the flooring and no wardrobe. However, there is the space right there for a built in. I will try and work out how to post plan and photo of ours, if you would like! I am first time poster (cos I really like your initial plan as your starting point) so not too sure how! Just realised I am living vicariously here! Good luck, and remember paper is all but free, so keep playing, think conceptually as well as specifically. Lynne

New House thanked lynneanlezark
  • 7 years ago

I do love the negative and positive space a central courtyard creates and yes noise could be a factor but a minor one. These central courtyards can be fitted out with a lot of different finishes from slab on ground to raised timber or tiled variety and can have pools, just gardens or floors, or a combination of all three. If done well a lot of rooms can focus on these areas as well as the view to the north. They can be roofed, or have open pergolas or canvas sails, or a combination of all.

Small is the way a lot of people are going these days and in my youth a 2.4 M x 3 M bedroom was the norm, nowadays people expect a much bigger size. With family rooms and kids, can the family room pick up some study area and bedrooms than can be a bit smaller?

Central courtyard houses are more expensive to build as the outside walls are a lot longer than than a square house, but if you have the space, wow great to live in, but you must do the courtyard properly.

The images above all have enticing courtyards which expands the internal living space, some can be private some more public.

An architect who has a 3D program should be able to give you year round shadow diagrams based on your street address, so there should be no guessing what the sun will do at any given time and date and location. No guess work involved. Ros

• 7 years ago

Indoor courtyards are wonderful private spaces and lovely in a hot climate like yours, we have a 3 sided internal courtyard with the garage making up the 3rd wall, mind you our house was built late 70"s, good luck with your new house and enjoy it. Macros2 , I really think that bedrooms apart from Master don't need to be large, as long as they are able to upgrade to a QB when and if needed, ie: when the kids grow up and a space for desk plus a good built in robe. when our kids were small they loved sharing a bedroom so we made the other BR into a play room.

• 7 years ago

Hi again Bathurst House, the link I sent you is of a house built in our area, not suitable for your climate but Architect plans give great ideas/layout for internal spaces, kitchen/bathrooms etc, enjoy

• 7 years ago

Yes i think passive means of cooling the house in a hot climate, and i live in Queensland, and we have just recorded our hottest January in a long time, are essential and maybe costs a bit more up front but in the long run, a lot cheaper.

Planting to the climate and the sun is a great way to provide green spaces, help keep the house and general climate that much cooler, and if we reduced the footprint of all our houses by building up, with gardens even roof top gardens our cities would be that much cooler.

Even in Queensland we do get a few days where one would think of heating the house, more important for cooler states, but future energy costs must be factored into the build. Ros

• 7 years ago

Totally agree Ros, but I think passive can work both ways, we are lucky to have solar it makes a bib big difference just need to save for the battery which is finally coming down in price, maybe Donald T will make these more affordable for all. cheers

• 7 years ago

Without telling you what room to put where... I'd be doing these things.

Ensure the garage is big enough to have a wall of storage about 600mm deep down one side.

Ensure that the lounge/family/kitchen/master bed, and as many other beds as possible get northern sun.

Ensure that the garage, laundry, bathrooms get western - south/western sun.

Ensure that air can flow through the house - don't stack rooms too deep and ensure openings can permit air flow.

Put laundry next to kitchen.

Consider a wall of cupboards in the bedroom rather than WIR. I know they are popular but they are such a waste of space.

Consider the noise transference between lounge and family if 2 x TV's going.

I'd consider 2 entertainment zones so teenagers have somewhere to go.

• 7 years ago

MB Design, I agree about WIR, we have a huge wall of built in robes, with drawers, shelves, double hanging etc. instead of a WIR. We wanted to have a extra large ensuite that could accommodate a small wheelchair in our old age if needed. I personally spend a lot more time in the bathroom than I do in my wardrobe.

• 7 years ago

there have been so many great suggestions and we'd love to see your latest selections

• 7 years ago

I agree oklouise, great suggestions, thanks everyone. There are so many good suggestions I need to sift through it all, especially the more recent comments to see what can work. I will come back with my thoughts though. Hi lynneanlezark, thanks for the interest, I would love it if you could post the plan etc.

• 7 years ago
    Hi Bathurst,

Im in the throw of a large extension and have been toying with similar decisions.... The plans by Louise are getting close door my money, and a minimum garage of 6x6 internally is a must..... And it would have a lower floor level put a loft in if possible for storage... ( Christmas camping crap etc.) and with a possible storage are internally if you think you would need one.

I'm in Sydney, but l like the trip over the mountains and I work for a survey company and if you need a survey to tick all the boxes I can give you our contact details down the track.....

My my vote without seeing the exact aspect/view you would be speak of is the plan on the
  • 7 years ago
    Sorry to continue....the plan by Louise on the 20/01/2017....

But the laundry ( with internal access or through cloak room) and ensuite to the rear of the garage the master behind...... Then a Wir separating the master form the living or a bathroom...... The a fireplace if required against the western wall central in the house.... The entrance and small cloak room for the winter woollies against the garage and the other three beds at the front RHS with bath near.... The lounge/ kitchen/ dining in a similar layout but with minimal a walls blocking the view from the entry to the living/kitchen .... I like at lease a small wall dividing the living and lounge for the teenagers also....

If I get an chance I will sketch something up. Good luck this the paperwork... Plans are the fun part.
  • 7 years ago

Use sliding doors everywhere, wardrobes, bedroom entry doors, well every room! They are fantastic and you have the whole floor space of the room to use instead of taking up about a meter square in every room to allow for the doors to open. I have done this in two renos and it is amazing how spacious it makes a smaller space feel. Also skylights let in a lot of light and make smaller spaces appear larger, use mirrors where possible, on wardrobe doors, in the family and dining rooms, they also make a good kitchen splash-back. Paint light colours and using white tiles all add to the illusion of a bigger space.

• 7 years ago

Use sliding doors everywhere, wardrobes, bedroom entry doors, well every room! They are fantastic and you have the whole floor space of the room to use instead of taking up about a meter square in every room to allow for the doors to open. I have done this in two renos and it is amazing how spacious it makes a smaller space feel. Also skylights let in a lot of light and make smaller spaces appear larger, use mirrors where possible, on wardrobe doors, in the family and dining rooms, they also make a good kitchen splash-back. Paint light colours and using white tiles all add to the illusion of a bigger space.

• 7 years ago

This might be helpful

• 7 years ago
    The laundry near bedrooms is something I would change- unless you have superquiet machines- but the dryer always has the warm air blowing around- not nice near a bedroom. Maybe have as a mudroom off garage?
  • 7 years ago
    Also - we had the kids bedrooms near us when they were small- now they are teenagers they are at other end of the house- a bit of privacy for all! Also you are walking in to hallways and near bedrooms. To be honest (I've lived in 27 houses, my parents used to take us house hunting regularly!)this plan could be polished up quite a bit- go to some display homes and really spend a good 20 mins in the ones you like- imagine what bringing groceries in looks like, where do you entertain- what if your kids have a sleepover etc. What about the noises of cars coming and going, kids out late at night, doing laundry, what if people suddenly come over- what's on display and what if the kitchen is messy etc. Take a tape measure along as well. Walls don't cost much to jiggle around. Good luck!
  • 7 years ago

Hi Bathurst, have you seen GJGardner homes, it might give some visual inspiration, don't worry with the 3D, scroll down in the individual property to gallery. cheers http://www.gjgardner.com.au/3d-tours.aspx

• 7 years ago

Thanks siriuskey, I have a look

• 7 years ago

good luck with todays terrible weather, keep you and your family safe, we are on the Mid North Coast of NSW so it's a bit better for us, cheers

• 7 years ago

Hi siriuskey, thanks for your thoughts. Mid North Coast sounds positively ideal on a day like today. I'd be heading straight for the beach!