Houzz Logo Print
kadwivedy

New Construction - what to choose first?

kadwivedy
7 years ago

We are doing a 100% custom new build. We did not intend to do custom but this is the route we've found ourselves taking due to several other outside factors. I am beginning to pick out pieces of the home to start figuring out how to end up with a cohesive look and feel and stay within budget. My question is, for a given room, what is the appropriate order in choosing selections? For example, the kitchen - is it cabinets, then counters, then flooring then backsplash then paint? I need help understanding where to start in each room. We've only owned our current home and it was a tract builder where we had limited options to choose from and a "design center" to guide selections.

thanks!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Gravitas
    7 years ago

Architect or designer first, then interior design decisions. The what you put in it decisions will come later, first you need to know what it is, that will help guide some of the fixtures and finishes. You don't want to pick out your range and hood if you don't know if it's going on the wall, or in the island.

Derek Hurd

Studio 1212

Live/Work/Create District

112 E. 33rd

Garden City, ID 83714

• kadwivedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The architect step is complete and we have the floorplan with all dimensions and the layout so that's all been determined. I'm ready to start selecting finishes.

• Related Discussions

Sofa reupholster..don't know what colour to choose

Q

Comments (18)
    I think you need to stay neutral to ensure that your couch and room colour are cohesive. The odd colour out ... that pops out at me when I first look at your photo's is the silver around the wooden TV cabinet doors. I would suggest long term (if you are keeping that furniture) that you try to incorporate more of that colour into the room to add balance...... but back to the couch. I would go fawn / beige colour and then you can add colour back into the room with cream / dark brown tones in cushions and maybe a casual throw. Alternatively if you repaint the feature wall from brown to a darker shade of grey I would go with a medium grey couch which would also match in with the silver on the TV cabinet and then you could put a lovely textured silver / grey floor run between the couches and move your coffee table to the centre of the room / rug.
    ...See More

What is more important to you when choosing the perfect Sofa?

Q

Comments (12)
    Of course its all about how your going to be using it and the layout. If you cozy up with a pet, human or animal, how that will play out. Are you watching TV or a fireplace or both. Think about windows and how they will reflect onto the TV at different times of the day. Is it a space you read in or play games etc. Also, children and pets or partners grubby socks, does it need cleaning all the time or be stain resistant. Comfort of course plays a huge role or you won't want to use the space. I would think on those things first. Remember its a big purchase and should be in a neutral color, I always gravitate toward a grey or dark leather, to ground the space and liven it up with texture and color by pillows and throws. Good luck
    ...See More

TODAY'S THE DAY! What's all the fuss about Definition's new blog?

Q

Comments (1)
    Great job!
    ...See More

Need to choose a theme for my new home

Q

Comments (11)
    I don't think you need a theme. If I was starting from scratch I'd look at block and work out best orientation to start with, then I'd look around for floor plans and facades to fit with that. I'd wander around my neighbourhood and take careful note of what I like and don't like. Then I'd do a lot of hunting for images I like on Houzz.
    ...See More
  • snyland
    7 years ago

If you have very definite ideas about what you want - start there first. If you are absolutely set on white cabinets - then that selection is easy and you can build from there. If you are planning on staying in this house for a long time, maybe choose the "big stuff" (cabinets, floors, bathroom tile) in classic and timeless finishes that will not go out of style. Then you can play around with the stuff that is easily changeable (paint, fabrics, even countertops). If you find pictures of rooms that you love, use those as a reference. Also, trust yourself and your choices. I'm sure your home will be just beautiful.

kadwivedy thanked snyland
  • User
    7 years ago
    Your builder should guide you on when you need to order things. Or if you have an interior designer they will.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Floor first IMO since it really is everywhere and under cabinets.Then for me the kitchen would be the next step , since in most cases the most expensive room in the home.

kadwivedy thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kadwivedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't have an interior designer and I think ourbtaste along with help from a friend of mine we can choose pieces that are timeless and cohesive. However, I wanted to get a feel for rules of thumb on which elements to choose first. I definitely want stained medium/dark kitchen cabinets (like chocolate, not espresso) and I really like the look of fantasy brown granite and others wth similar wave and colors. We are going with tile in the kitchen mostly because we can't budget hardwood throughout the entire main floor and have to use tile in the kitchen, breakfast and laundry. I'm curious if we should select the tile and then choose countertop and backsplash? And with the baths, is it floor tile first and then choose shower wall materials and countertops? Also, should master bath tile be the same as kitchen/breakfast/laundry? They are on main floor. Is it lost cohesive to stick with the same tile and cabinets throughout the home? Even kids baths upstairs?

we plan to be in this home for a very long time. Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

You pick the stuff with the least amount of selection first. In a kitchen you'd start with appliances and end with paint color. This way your choices are always expanding.

kadwivedy thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    You are making the biggest mistake of your life and a very expensive one. Getting a cohesive looking home that looks smart for resale requires someone who knows what they are doing - especially on a custom home. Would you pull out your own appendix? Or hire your friend to do your electrical? Of course not, so why are you ready to throw out your hard earned money making design decisions that are not professionally based? I just did a complete house renovation that has last over a year which is a custom rebuild. I am not a designer, but if I had not paid the money to hire someone I would have made expensive mistakes. And now that we are almost finished, I can see how very very important that cohesive plan was regarding colors, flooring, ceiling color, wood trim, etc. This website is full of people who have less than appealing homes because they thought they could save a buck and do it themselves. I have met very few untrained individuals who have the skill set to pull off an entire home build or remodel without help.
  • User
    7 years ago

I think you fully can do this on your own if you get some tips and guidance from your builder. A girlfriend is very successfully going and choosing all her finishes herself. She has paid here and there for some millwork design but otherwise is doing it all herself. What appears to be different from your situation is that her builder gives her allowances for everything, recommends places to get it all from, and tells her when and what needs to be on site.

• kadwivedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Our builder is also giving us allowances and has preferred vendors for all items. I will be working with the suppliers to select our finishes and would expect they provide some design expertise within their businesses.

• PRO
    Sognare Unlimited
    7 years ago

I agree with Joseph. I always advise my clients to begin with the items that have the least amount of options. In other words, you have fewer cabinet choices than tile or flooring choices... start with cabinets. Then move to backsplash and flooring. You have an infinite amount of paint choices, so that can come later. Go fairly neutral on items that are more permanent like cabinets, flooring, and tile. Add your color with things that are easily changeable.

kadwivedy thanked Sognare Unlimited
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Vendors don't have time to design your home and they certainly don't have your best interest at heart, they want to sell you as much as they can push you to buy.
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

I would start with the floors all over the house, and then the cabinets. That way you have some cohesion between spaces. After that, you can choose countertops and other tiles. Don't forget about a good lighting plan.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

"Our builder is also giving us allowances"

Worst possible way to stay on budget. ALL the major items should have been selected prior to signing a contract.

• kadwivedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think what makes me feel more comfortable that we can do this on our own is that we are using my in-laws floorplan as the. Asia for our design with some modifications (increase room size, add a bonus room, add a garage, etc). They have a beautiful home and we can compare what we choose to what they have...

on the allowances, we have sat down with the builder and gone through every allowance and know we will exceed a few eight off the bat. The main reason I posted this is because I am going to go to all the vendors before we even sign the contact to make a first pass at our selections and get quotes. We will use these quotes to fully understand the true cost of what we will want to put in our home. We know the builder will tell us when each selection should be made but I want to try to pick everything now (I know some things will change but it's a first pass) so I truly understand the cost.

Thanks!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Realistically, add 20% to the estimate to fill in for the allowances for stuff that you actually want to use rather than the typical builder grade dreck miniscule allowance. Add another 20% for the change orders you'll pay after you realize that your selections are all wrong and need to be changed. Or, hire a designer to help you to choose more modest selections with a cohesive plan to make them all work together, and only go over maybe 15%.

• Claire Pope
    7 years ago

I am building a custom home and my first stop appliances so kitchen designer would know the dimensions to but in the drawing, picked door style the went to plumbing store for all faucets, tubs, showers, sinks med cabinets and any mirrors with lights. Then went to lighting next, those are done now Im looking at counter tops, tiles and flooring, tiles for roof are included with this, I have picked windows doors and door hardware also also. Hope this helps a little. Paint will be last and most daunting in my opinion and must still get crown and baseboard.

kadwivedy thanked Claire Pope
  • PRO
    ARCSPACE STUDIO
    7 years ago

Like other design professionals, architects offer a wide range of services. When you retain an architect for "full services", he or she will work with you in the selection of all these things (sometimes with an interior designer), as well as set realistic allowances to be used in the bid, and follow the job through construction. Sounds like you must have had a lower level of service.

• User
    7 years ago
    It sounds like you are committed to the process and feel confident. Many on this forum simply don't believe a home owner can make good choices. I think if you have the time and give it the attention and thought it needs you fully can. I hope it goes very well for you! For our family I knew we couldn't give it the time it deserved so we have a designer. In fact we have our big interior meeting tomorrow where we will select most things. We haven't even dug a hole yet but by the time our permit comes in we will have given the builder a complete package of specs for everything we want. Hopefully all this planning in advance will mean less changes and staying on budget!
    kadwivedy thanked User
  • PRO
    ARCSPACE STUDIO
    7 years ago

Of course a home owner can make good choices! That does not mean they would not benefit from working with a design professional. Doing so saves more than just time, it adds value. Design professionals carry with them a wealth of training, knowledge, and experience that the typical home owner does not possess, simply because the typical home owner is not immersed in these sort of decisions every day. The very best results seem to come about as a result of good collaboration between the home owner and the design professional.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Alison, you are correct, it is a lot of time. I think the other issue is all the decisions that cascade into an avalanche if one thing is OFF and the cost of change orders. I spent ONE YEAR planning the renovation, selecting items and then there was still so much detail and of course decisions that must be rethought because what you planned won't work. What happens to most homeowners is that you get tunnel vision and think you need something spectacular here or there not realizing that the culmination of all the single notes is a symphony sound. Unfortunately I see on Houzz the choices many homeowners make which are not sound and are not appealing at resale. Pulling off an entire house construction takes talent AND PRACTICE and I do not believe based upon experience that 95% of homeowners do it well. I am part of that 95% but to each his own. As Lincoln said referring to attorneys, when you represent yourself you have a fool for a client.
  • Claire Pope
    7 years ago

I should have added I guess that I was a contractor (retired) and my son is my contractor now so I have an advantage and I have constructed many models but it is a fun thing to do but you do need time. Best of luck to you

• User
    7 years ago

bellburgmaggie for the most part I don't disagree with what you are saying but I don't think there is a one shoe fits here. My girlfriend is two months away from her house being done and it is stunning. She's made all the calls on her own and done beautifully. Not tunnel vision at all. But she has time to do so. As I said we have a designer and know we don't have time. But working with a designer doesn't mean it will all go smoothly either. It is a constant balance of what the designer wants with what you want. What would be amazing with what you can actually afford and what you must have versus want to have.

kadwivedy thanked User
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Pfftttt... Who needs a designer anyway?:

• ackcx3
    7 years ago
    Joseph, you are a hoot!
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Joseph, thank you for making my day - I'm laughing until my stitches hurt. Funny bunnies, thank you honey.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Joseph, you should submit it to www.uglyhousephotos.com
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

bellburgmaggie:

Due to the nature of my work, I've got some doozies, believe me.

Here's the master bedroom in this place:

This is why the GPS on my pictures has been disabled for years. What happens in southwest Florida stays in southwest Florida.