Houzz Logo Print
stine_foster80

Help with en-suite

Stine Foster
6 years ago

Hi - We are looking to finalise plans for our en-suite. The door can be anywhere on the east wall. The window on the south wall is 1900w x 1680h and sits 470 off ground. This cannot be changed. My husband insists on a bath and separate shower. We are on a tight budget. Hope someone might have a brilliant solution. Thanks for your time.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 years ago

The arrangement that you have looks quite functional, however you really need to consider carefully the size of the shower versus the size of the bath, and the location of towel rails and a toilet roll. Most adults prefer a 1200mm long shower, whereas yours looks smaller? However if you increase the size of the shower you will need to decrease the length of the bath so it will be less appealing as an adult sized ensuite bath.

Many houses have a bath in the family bathroom and don't double up with a second bath in the ensuite. If your husband was prepared to compromise on not having a bath in the ensuite then you would get the opportunity for a double sized shower, and a double vanity, which is great for busy mornings.

Where had you planned to put the toilet roll holder? Are you planning to use towel hooks instead of towel rails? No matter how stylish your bathroom is, it is the little details, such as toilet roll holders and towel rail locations that can make a big difference. I am always amused to see great looking bathrooms where these crucial elements have been neglected.

Birchgrove - Ferdinand · More Info

At the end of the day it really comes down to your personal preferences, priorities and budget.

Best of luck with your ensuite,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls.

• oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

with careful selection of sizes my suggestion has a full size freestanding bath (curved ends allow less banged knees) a walk in shower recess with screened toilet and optional screen against the bath, double handbasins with matching mirror doored wall cabinets, convenient toilet roll position and several options for towel rails and a hinged door (choice of a cavity slider would require reinforced wall to add the towel rail near the basin and the hinged door is more private, quieter to open, seals in noise and moisture and has the option for clothes hooks on the back of the door

• Related Discussions

Need help with ensuite configuration

Q

Comments (9)
    2.1m is a lot of room as you only need about 0.5m from where the toilet suite ends to where the shower screen is . My ensuite is 2m and I have about that much between my suite and my 0.9m glass screen of my walk in shower I have a similar configuration to yours except minus the bath and the extra vanity since it's only 1.75m by 2m ensuite. Your bath should come out around 0.8-0.9m? vanity roughly 0.5m? so 0.7m to walk around
    ...See More

Help with ensuite plan please

Q

Comments (4)
    the problem feels as though the rooms are too big ...the vanity appears to be almost 3.5 m wide and if this is what you want then the present layout would be good although the vanity could be reduced for the shower to be up to 1500 x 1200 or extra space allocated to the laundry without reducing the spaciouness of the ensuite..also consider dividing the wiw into two zones with a walk through area with drawers and or dressing table and separate fitted wardrobe room and review the purpose of the small mudroom as this may be better used as an enclosed storage and/or have the entry to the master suite from that direction instead of opening directly from the rumpus room
    ...See More

Need help with: ensuite for Bed 4 or just a toilet?

Q

Comments (9)
    the intention was to swop the original ens from one side of the room to the other but, if the original ensuite was only 1m wide, i think it's too narrow for an ensuite in either position in either position although with careful selection of fixtures the ens could be 1200mm wide and still have space for a reasonably sized guest room with biw and access to a separate bathroom
    ...See More

design layout help! master, ensuite &WIR

Q

Comments (13)
    Are you refitting an existing apartment or is this a new build? Can windows and door be changed. Okl plan is heaps better but has diff windows to ensuite and wir. I would even say it is best if you can’t change windows. In heritage buildings they build walls into windows wir doesn’t have to have window. Good lighting and floor length mirror you can borrow lighting from ensuite with some glass between.
    ...See More
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago
    Nice
  • me me
    6 years ago
    Nice plan, oklouise
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Pushing the envelope due to the fixed window unfortunately - what do you want? An awesome ensuite that feels spacious or a squeezed result with everything shoved into it? That's the decision that needs to be made here. As Retro said, comes down to priorities. When the elements "breathe" it won't feel awkward. I'd avoid positioning vanities hard into corners as well - it results in a room that feels imbalanced. Is the window fixed? Is it a reno or a new build?

13th Beach Golf Links Residence · More Info

• Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi. it's a reno. if we change the window it will not fit the outside look of the house. I really appreciate all the comments. Thanks so much.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

dimensions in my plans are maximum available space but smaller fixtures would still be OK and a gap between vanity and wall is a good place to hang a hairdryer

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

As a great architect once stated (the obvious) "Form follows Function"....best of luck with it :) PD

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Two different floor plans, you didn't mention what style of window.

Layout one has the shower and bath end to end you can swap them.

The vanity on the opposite wall starts a 2 draw vanity with mirrored shaving cabinets above following on from that at the same height and shallow bench top of 430 with or with out open shelving below across the window. The back of the bench top to be the same as the cabinet so that is what would be seen if looking from the outside in.

The window with large shutters with two mirrors suspended/fixed in front of the window and blinds as similar in the photo.

Layout two with bath and shower next and open to each other, Japanese style.

Both have plenty of space to accommodate towels and toilet roll holders

Stine Foster thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

I'd change window height/size/location.

You said it won't fit the outside look but its not going to fit the outside look if you change glass to obscure.

Can you post a pic of that elevation or is it more to do with council application/requirements if window size is changed, etc.?

Stine Foster thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi. I had a chat with the builder and we can change the window. what would be the best solution in terms of window size and layout?
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

A long high window so you can use that wall space for vanity shower etc, in a style that works with you other windows, is this at the front of your house?

• Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    yes. all other windows are the same size. We are converting a bedroom into a bathroom
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

i suggest that the original window with plantation shutters or similar could be a real feature with the bath having an enviable laid back view out to an enclosed courtyard garden as the room already has enough floor and wall space to achieve everything you need and replacing the window would also require a "patch" in the external walls below a new window...please post some photos from outside to show the windows

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    6 years ago

I feel like I only have one bath room plan that I come back to again and again as the most practical solution to nearly all houzz questions like this: line everything up along one of the long walls, with the bath and shower at the inner end. Like this:

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Daniel L that's also my go to especially when space is limited, works well and looks great cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Some more examples of how to keep your existing large window, you could install these in front white shutters

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

or concede the bath, keep the window and go two basins...

Coastal Cottage · More Info
    As always it's matter of clarifying and working through priorities.

I concur with Daniel, for tight setups invariably pulling everything onto one side is the most spatially efficient and functionality effective - I use this ledge/wall basin setup all the time. The bathroom above is only 1500 wide including ledge, but still plenty of room to swing a cat with this set-up. The issue I have the with the bath and shower set-up within the same area is simply function/practicality in that the bath gets wet ALL the time. If you can live with that no dramas, but if you don't use the bath much and hate cleaning up then it will drive you bonkers on a daily basis....everyone has different priorities - good luck in working it out :)

• Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for all your input. We are hesitant to have bath and shower next to each other for that reason.
  • Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Can I please ask your opinion on the original design? Does it look like an amateur has done it? We can move the door and fit in a bigger shower. I thought it would feel spacious as the only tall thing was behind the door. We wanted to get a free-standing back to wall and corner bath. We rarely get ready at the same time so one sink is fine. I have included a picture of the outside so you can see why we don't want to change the window. The extension to the left will have same size window.
  • Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Forgot to add that the ensuite is the room to the left, our bedroom has got the bay window
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Is that the front of the house? You might have some privacy issues even with frosted glass in that window. At night it's going to be fairly obvious from the outside if a naked body is moving about inside the ensuite!

• Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    it is the front of the house. I was going to use Venetian blinds.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Stine, I would strongly suggest that you change the window to a higher narrow one for better use of space and privacy, I will post a suggestion, sorry you don't like the Japanese shower and bath far more space and clean lines to this design than others.

• oklouise
    6 years ago
    • very happy with our venetians on low bathroom windows and we've also added frosted window film to the lower section of another window to add privacy without obscuring the high view of trees and sky and a small fraction of the cost of replacing the window or glass
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Stine, the original design doesn't look amateurish, it just looks like the standard plans of project builders from the past 20 years, and it works well enough. If you want my critique of that layout it would be:

1) placing a fixture in each available corner makes bath rooms feel smaller and look a bit cluttered;

2) there is no side wall at the toilet so the TP roll has to be on the wall behind you, more difficult to reach;

3) it requires a fully screened shower with a door. As well as the aesthetic move towards simpler shower screens and more spaciousness, there are practical reasons why the trend is away from shower cubicles, from easier cleaning to less mechanical components in need of maintenance or repair;

4) a vanity mirror at the short wall of a rectangular space makes it feel very long and narrow, while a large mirror on the long wall makes even a very narrow space feel spacious.

• Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Daniel, thanks so much for your opinion on the project. I agree with it all, now need to speak to the other half to see what we can agree to.
  • Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oklouise i loved your design, but I had made a mistake on the plan, so in reality there is only 680mm on the left side of the window and there is not enough space for a shower.
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago

you can use a free standing loo holder. We have one as we have that bathroom layout above in our

ensuite and just use a $20 loo holder so don't place it behind you. No need

• User
    6 years ago
    Yes
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Alright let's see if we can put this to bed. There's nothing at all wrong or amateurish with your home. Agree seeing photo it's arguably too much of a compromise nor cost effective to move/change the window considering outcomes. The solution here will come in the fit-out and how to balance that as best as possible within the constraints set. You can do it with a 1500 size bath option, 900x1200 shower. and it's essentially a tweak/fine-tune from the idea you had originally. (I shouldn't really do this but here you go/I'm feeling generous today ;) )

You run a ledge all the way around the back and end walls. Mirrored cabinets all along the end above the basin. This will feel massive and luxurious with the ledges/more dimension & interest. But you'd need a concealed in wall cistern. Any privacy concerns (in bathrooms) can be managed by combination blinds/furnishings - arguably much more flexible (and cheaper in this situation) than changing glazing to frosted glass. And then you still retain an outlook/light to your ensuite during the day etc...

Good luck & Merry Christmas :) PD

• Stine Foster
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Paul, you are a star!
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

No problem Stine - hope it works out for you :) PD